PDA

View Full Version : When did my hair grow? You know, that moment when you realise stuff happens.

Vetticus
August 2nd, 2013, 06:46 AM
HI,

I've been lurking here for a long while... posted a bit about my mum's scalp a while back (thank you to who ever suggested the lavender, it works!!).

Anyway, I wear my hair up in buns and twists because:
1. I have very thin, fly away hair that likes to knot.
2. I work in science, and work place health & safety = hair longer than shoulders should be tied back.
3. I'll play with it all day, which is really annoying.

Due to this, no one at work knew my hair length - it's not that long, but it's still a mystery to people who see me on a daily basis. The other day, it was hot, and I wore it in a ponytail... and the response was "OMG, your hair is soooo long." It's just past BSL, but the last time I had it down it was chin length.

I've had an absolute terrible time with my hair. I had TBL, because I don't like going to hairdressers, and it just grew. But then, I figured I need a change, and I cut it (very wonky) to a short bob. Then I went to a hairdresser, and had it cut pixie... which was a big mistake. I have a head like a bowling ball, and with short hair... How can a head be that round?:confused:

Anyway, I grew it out, and when it was shoulder length, I dyed it with henna (Lush), and it looked fabulous, red, but fabulous. I'm mousey brown/blondette originally. But my sister "I don't like people with red hair"-pooped all over my enjoyment. So, I used henna again, but went the dark, coffee colour... and ended up with green hair. Khaki-green. On Christmas day.

I didn't know about this website, or anything about henna, at the time - I went to the pharmacy and bought a packet dye and went back to blondette.
But, I tied my hair back, and lived with it. Then I was going overseas for a holiday and figured I should see a hairdresser to get it all sorted out. By that stage my hair was TBL again. The hairdresser was, mostly, wonderful. I wanted a blunt cut, and she used a natural dye (not henna, but there was no peroxide, no ammonia etc) to make it lovely and red again. But, she then used a straightener. I have never used a hairdryer (laziness), or a straightener (laziness again), so this was new and exiting. Unfortunately, my hair frizzled and fried into crispy-nothingness. I had to cut it from TBL to waist, to shoulder, to chin. And kept it at chin until all that damage was cut off.

So, this time last year, my hair was just touching my shoulders. I also box dyed it dark blonde, mahogonny (not so bad at first, then it went raspberry, eww), and then black (did not suit me...double eww), but it washed out and now it's almost my natural colour. I also started to read this site, and began taking better care of my hair (less washing, more conditioning etc). I also had a short fringe, which now is past my chin.

Somehow, over the past year, it has grown from shoulder to past BSL, with no stops in between. It was a very nice surprise to see that happen.
In conclusion, isn't it strange that the best way to make hair grow is to ignore it, and just let it do it's thing?

Best,
V

jacqueline101
August 2nd, 2013, 07:18 AM
We call ignoring hair benign neglect I know it's wonderful. I hope you continue to have good luck on your journey.

sisi33
August 2nd, 2013, 07:53 AM
:happydance: Congrats!

Leeloo
August 2nd, 2013, 11:30 AM
Congratulation! It is a very nice surprise. I tend to mistreat my hair if I ignore it though.

nobeltonya
August 2nd, 2013, 12:55 PM
Mine was like that when I finally started to try and grow it and stop going to the salon. I'd always wear it up in a messy bun all day (wet b/c I wash daily) and would only take it down in the evenings to dry. So I'd never really pay attention to how long it was actually becoming. Until I hit waist, that is, when I started wearing it down all the time. Now I forever check if it's gotten any longer, or if the ends have thickened up.. maybe it would "grow faster" if I wore it up more again.. :) :disco: