PDA

View Full Version : massive hair fall....what happened? :(

sarahthegemini
August 2nd, 2013, 06:00 AM
I normally CWC daily (have been doing this method for about a month now, prior to this I was S+C daily) but due to shower breaking and me being too lazy to wash my hair over the sink everyday I left my hair unwashed for 4 days. For me, that's a lot. My hair was hideously greasy. Anyway, today the new shower was in working order, I decided to shampoo my entire length as I wasn't confident that conditioner alone would remove the grease and residue dry shampoo.

OMG, the amount of hair I shed terrified me. I usually shed around 30 hairs when I cwc daily but after S+C today, everytime I touched my hair, strands and strands were coming out. I must have lost about 200 hairs!

I used Pantene Ice Shine 'cone free 'poo - I used this for a while for daily S+C a few months back with no ill effects. However, a week or so ago when I decided to re-use his 'poo to wash my scalp, I noticed a little more hairfall than usual but nothing crazy but now this! I also noticed after using this 'poo today that my hair felt squeaky clean and quite dry.

I don't know whether the shampoo was the sole culprit or whether it was also a combination of say, 4 days worth of hairfall coming out in one wash. But it has really shaken me up a bit tbh :(

I am not using this shampoo again, unfortunately the only other shampoo I have has cones in it but as I'm only going to be using it on my scalp, it should be okay. Can anyone reassure me? I've never had this much hair fall before.

Firefox7275
August 2nd, 2013, 06:31 AM
It could just be shed hairs that would normally fall during the day without noticing since they are relatively short getting trapped in the sebum and hair build up.

Do you have any other scalp or skin issues? If you are normally shampooing daily it would be wise to use a super gentle shampoo at pH 4.5 to 5.5, ideally anionic surfactant free not just sulphate free. Harsher shampoos can cause underlying irritation and inflammation, some people also have a negative reaction to their own sebum (oleic acid is a common one), irritation and inflammation is implicated in hair loss. You know your lengths are at risk from shampoo damage which is presumably why you CWC, it's no leap to accept that your scalp and roots are at the same risk.

sarahthegemini
August 2nd, 2013, 06:58 AM
It could just be shed hairs that would normally fall during the day without noticing since they are relatively short getting trapped in the sebum and hair build up.

Do you have any other scalp or skin issues? If you are normally shampooing daily it would be wise to use a super gentle shampoo at pH 4.5 to 5.5, ideally anionic surfactant free not just sulphate free. Harsher shampoos can cause underlying irritation and inflammation, some people also have a negative reaction to their own sebum (oleic acid is a common one), irritation and inflammation is implicated in hair loss. You know your lengths are at risk from shampoo damage which is presumably why you CWC, it's no leap to accept that your scalp and roots are at the same risk.

That's what I was hoping for, fingers crossed everything will be back to normal tomorrow.

I have no scalp or skin issues at all, I'm quite lucky really. Which is why today's shedding was such a shock. The reason I CWC is because my length gets dry but my scalp gets really oily. I thought of trying baby shampoo (Johnsons or Simple) as they contain sulfates but are pH balanced.

jacqueline101
August 2nd, 2013, 07:13 AM
They're probably shed hairs.

breezefaerie
August 2nd, 2013, 07:18 AM
They could very well be just shed hair, but Pantene does make my hair fall out after using a few times.
Too bad as I love the Ice-Shine line.

AngryVikingGirl
August 2nd, 2013, 07:54 AM
I agree that it's probably the 4-days shed coming out, but I also noticed when doing something harsher than before - you say you'd been CO-ing previously - the first time hair sheds more, afterwards it can calm down. I'm not saying it will if you continue with this shampoo, as some methods definitely make the hair shed more than others, but the first shock is the worst I think.

sarahthegemini
August 2nd, 2013, 08:50 AM
They could very well be just shed hair, but Pantene does make my hair fall out after using a few times.
Too bad as I love the Ice-Shine line.

I've put my Pantene at the back of my stash. I don't want to risk using it again. I've just bought a gentler 'poo which I'll use from tomorrow :)

sarahthegemini
August 2nd, 2013, 08:51 AM
I agree that it's probably the 4-days shed coming out, but I also noticed when doing something harsher than before - you say you'd been CO-ing previously - the first time hair sheds more, afterwards it can calm down. I'm not saying it will if you continue with this shampoo, as some methods definitely make the hair shed more than others, but the first shock is the worst I think.

I wasn't co-ing before, I was cwc-ing but this time I used the 'poo all over my hair so I guess it's the same principle?

sarahthegemini
August 2nd, 2013, 08:54 AM
They're probably shed hairs.

It just shocked me so much. I expected an increase in hair fall but not that much. I think the hair fall was more than I would normally shed over the course of 4 days. Although I guess if the 'poo contributed to it too ...

melusine963
August 2nd, 2013, 09:03 AM
I had the same things when I started stretching my washed. My hair never seemed to get thinner, so it must just have been all my sheds coming loose at once when I was washing my hair.

sarahthegemini
August 2nd, 2013, 09:05 AM
I had the same things when I started stretching my washed. My hair never seemed to get thinner, so it must just have been all my sheds coming loose at once when I was washing my hair.

That's really reassuring :)

Leeloo
August 2nd, 2013, 11:18 AM
It’s probably because you had to wait to wash your hair an extra 4 days. All those hairs that were going to come out during a regular wash got stuck on your head for an extra 4 days and only came out during a wash so it looks like it’s a lot more than usual. I thinks it’s cool. :D

sarahthegemini
August 2nd, 2013, 11:21 AM
It’s probably because you had to wait to wash your hair an extra 4 days. All those hairs that were going to come out during a regular wash got stuck on your head for an extra 4 days and only came out during a wash so it looks like it’s a lot more than usual. I thinks it’s cool. :D

I knew you guys would reassure me, I feel so much better about everything now!

AngryVikingGirl
August 2nd, 2013, 12:48 PM
I wasn't co-ing before, I was cwc-ing but this time I used the 'poo all over my hair so I guess it's the same principle?

Yes, sorry, I meant CWC.

Sinthia
August 2nd, 2013, 12:56 PM
This happens to me every time I go days without washing my hair.

nobeltonya
August 2nd, 2013, 01:00 PM
After not washing for a few days and stimulating your scalp, it was probably just all sheds coming at once. :) :disco:

faellen
August 2nd, 2013, 01:01 PM
I agree with the consensus that it was most likely shed hairs. I wouldn't blame the shampoo just yet :p

sarahthegemini
August 2nd, 2013, 04:45 PM
Thanks guys! I'll update you all tomorrow after my wash, hopefully it'll be a happy update :p