PDA

View Full Version : Hair color darkening after going SLS free?

ExpectoPatronum
August 1st, 2013, 11:50 AM
About a week ago, I dropped my old shampoo and conditioner in favor of ones from an SLS free brand (namely L'Oreal EverCreme which I am absolutely loving). Since using it, I've noticed my hair color starting to become darker, especially up near the top. Now I don't have my hair colored in anyway so it's not new growth. My guess is that the change is from the fact that my hair isn't being stripped of all the oils anymore which makes it appear darker in color. I'm not complaining. I've been wanting to dye my hair darker and this is saving me from doing that. Darker healthy hair without dye? Count me in.

Anyway, has anyone else experienced this when they went SLS free? Or is my hair color change not related to that at all?

meteor
August 1st, 2013, 12:06 PM
My guess is that the change is from the fact that my hair isn't being stripped of all the oils anymore which makes it appear darker in color.
I think you are right! I was once on a kick of constantly over-oiling my hair and washing it out with gentle SLS-free shampoo. My hair felt oily even after being washed and was significantly darker. Whenever I have dried out hair - from the sun, chlorine, etc - it always looks lighter.
I think this is more typical for blond, light brown or light red hair.

sarahthegemini
August 1st, 2013, 12:20 PM
Wow, I'd love to darken my hair (it's dark-ish brown anyway but I'd love glossy chocolate locks!) I've tried SLS-free 'poos before though and my hair got greasier :( I know there's an adjustment period but I can't bear that at the mo :o Glad it works for you though! Do you have a before and after pic? :)

Vanilla
August 1st, 2013, 12:50 PM
My hair also darkened a lityle by going SLS free. I use loreal's ever sleek and it has oils in the shampoo and conditioner.

Siiri
August 1st, 2013, 01:16 PM
I had the same experience with CO-washing. Hair is also darker when it's oily, so I thought CO-washing (and sls-free shampoo in your case) leaves more residue behind than a shampoo with sls, and so the hair reflects light differently.

melusine963
August 1st, 2013, 04:27 PM
I'd never really thought of this, but I suppose you're right. This must be why my own hair has got darker these last few years.