PDA

View Full Version : Is this frizz, dry hair or simply my hair texture?

daredevil14
August 1st, 2013, 10:48 AM
It seems that no matter what I do (various routines, I am CGing right now) or I use in terms of products, my hair is always like this, waves and curls with lots of "frizz"(?) around. Is it frizz, dry hair or simply my hair texture?

Please note that on CO-wash days, it's minimal. The picture below is for a 2nd hair day. I also used to wet my hair for the past 2 years, it was fine in my home country but now I am noticing that my hair is frizzier after wetting to revive curls, I think it's the hard water.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/2497/nir0.jpg

LadyCelestina
August 1st, 2013, 10:54 AM
It's a perfectly normal small loss of definition happening to most curlies some time after a wash. It looks pretty good,don't worry.

Leeloo
August 1st, 2013, 11:03 AM
If it’s minimal on co wash days, maybe adding a tiny bit more moisturizing product on second day hair will help, but it does look just fine. I wouldn’t even notice it if you didn’t point it out :p

spidermom
August 1st, 2013, 11:07 AM
I think it looks good. On 2nd- or more-day hair, you might want to use a dab of styling product after you wet it to revive the curls.

sisi33
August 1st, 2013, 11:09 AM
I would say that that's loss of definition that you're dealing with. All the little curls are curling by themselves, instead of clumping together to form defined curls. Are you sealing in the moisture with anything? Also, some sort of gel cast might help your curls from escaping.

AmyBeth
August 1st, 2013, 11:25 AM
Ooh, I like it!! I can't answer your question exactly, but you might check out the curlygirl website. Not just for girls, more for curly hair!;)

melusine963
August 1st, 2013, 04:32 PM
I think your hair looks great. Certainly less frizzy than mine ever is. If you like you could try using a bit of coconut oil as a leave-in to get some moisture?

ravenreed
August 1st, 2013, 04:38 PM
Looks like lovely curly hair to me. I vote texture.

sycamoreboutiqu
August 2nd, 2013, 12:25 AM
For hair as curly as yours you definitely need to use some leave-in. If you are CO'ing with a cheaper conditioner then use a better one as a second step ( I wash with White Rain or Suave as they are not terribly good at conditioning but great for cleansing) and then I add some better stuff ( I like Garnier Fructis) as a second step and just rinse it out about half way.

My hair isn't nearly as curly as yours and I still need to add on even more of this better condish as a leave in or I get poufy and frizzy. Just about a dime or quarter amount depending on length - squeezed into wet hair from about the ears down should do it.

As a previous poster mentioned - coconut oil is also a lovely curl tamer and makes for very shiny, well behaved curls. Just a dot melted in the palms and spread on the length will do it.

If your hair is a bit on the dry side you will be amazed at how much leave in product it can handle.

CurlyCap
August 2nd, 2013, 12:29 AM
Awesome 2nd day hair is the holy grail of curly heads. Your hair looks perfectly normal for a non-wash day.

You could cheat. Some people twist their hair on wash day to create super defined amaze-curls. That way, when they are "messed up " on day 2 (or 3 or 4), they devolve into something that looks more natural. It's an option. I've always thought it was too much work and that uber defined curls look a little porcelain doll-ish.

lulana
August 2nd, 2013, 03:03 AM
Lovely curls i would suggest just like the other members that you look out for a good leave-inn Conditioner on the second day, we have also very hard water and i get myself a aerosol can with distillate water
for moisture my hair before i treat my hair with a little pea of condi, it really works wonders on my hair and they are bouncy and frizzless as i want them to be

lapushka
August 2nd, 2013, 03:07 AM
I think it looks perfectly fine, nice curl formation. Maybe more moisture would solve whatever it is that you think you see (I'm not seeing it), but moisture solves a world of problems. Mist it a little and run some (start with a tiny bit) conditioner through it, and let it dry.

daredevil14
August 2nd, 2013, 08:31 AM
Thank you all for the kind replies and compliments.

Now I do seal with coconut oil after rinsing out my conditioner. The thing is, my hair doesn't like to be touched on non-wash days, this is what I discovered while I am misting with water (in the past, it used to work! Or maybe I wasn't as "critical" to my hair as I am now).

I use Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine (no cones) for co-washing and detangling! Now the challenge is to find a cone-free leave-in conditioner in my area! I already found another rinse-out one which is Tresemme Natural Smoothing, although being cone-free, it has Brassica Campestris/Aleurites Fordi Oil Copolymer which is insoluble and caused buildup from the 3rd use! (I had to clarify with sulfates!)

Neecola
August 2nd, 2013, 01:49 PM
Hey, I recognize that hair -- looks like my second day hair!

I have tried just about everything to have perfect, frizz free curls on day two and it just isn't in the cards for me. I usually wear my hair up or half up after wash day. If I want to have well formed curls again, I have to soak my hair in water. I've tried additional products, misting, etc. but it all just seems to make the frizz worse by mid-day. That is not to say that you will have the same results, but if you do it isn't the end of the world. I still enjoy my hair and I think yours looks nice too. :flower:

I used to have really hard water so I can relate... are you able to get citric acid or club soda to chelate on a regular basis? Vinegar rinses can help too.

daredevil14
August 2nd, 2013, 05:37 PM
Thank you Neecola, I will try...

Meanwhile, I found another cone-free conditioner (Yes!) in my area after an intensive search, it is actually a rinse-out conditioner. I was, in most of my entire long hair experience, CO-washing and conditioning with a conditioner that is labeled as "intensive mask" (heavy in proteins & cone-free/Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine 1-minute Intensive Mask). So now, how should I use the new conditioner which I found? It is cone-free and it has shea/avogado and many oils (didn't notice any remarkable proteins, nor any tricky "buildup" stuff). It is this:
http://static.jumia.com.eg/p/garnier-9910-899011-1-zoom.jpg

I am thinking of continuing CO-washing with the mask but applying the above new product as a leave-in! (Although it is a rinse-out one)

Thanks!

xohbihitztix
August 2nd, 2013, 05:46 PM
I suggest switching to Wen. It's more like a conditioner and it'll lock in moisture so your curls are more defined. I'd kill for your hair! :thudpile: Love me some curls! Lol!

sisi33
August 3rd, 2013, 04:01 AM
It shouldn't particularly matter if it's labeled as a rinse-out, as most of the CO'ers use the same as their leave-in. I would be very surprised if your hair objected to it over that. That being said, I would just scrunch enough into soaking wet hair to make a slightly "squishy" noise, then dry how you normally dry, as a test run. It also could be that your hair has had enough of the protein, and that may factor into what is making your hair curl individually.