PDA

View Full Version : Hair stick damage?

Coolcombination
August 1st, 2013, 08:02 AM
I'm a newbie to hair toys, when I do a lazy wrap bun with a hair stick, I have to tightly wrap the hair, which hurts my roots and then when I tuck the hair stick in my hair is pulled and then separated as I put it all the way through. When I'm finished my scalp hurts where the hair stick went in. I had to sharpen the stick too because the blunt end seemed like it was breaking hairs when I pushed it in. Has anyone else experienced damage like this?

neko_kawaii
August 1st, 2013, 08:17 AM
I would blunt the end of the stick a little. Find the happy medium between sharp and too blunt. Functionally, most buns don't have to be so tight that they pull at the roots. Again, there is a happy medium to be found there and will take some practice and experimentation but is well worth the effort.

TiaKitty
August 1st, 2013, 08:29 AM
Don't pull your hair so tight when you make the bun.

irisheyes
August 1st, 2013, 08:29 AM
Try making a larger loop for your lazy wrap bun and then wrap it a little looser. This will give you more room for the hair stick to be inserted. Experiment a little to find the best level of tension for comfort.

KittyBird
August 1st, 2013, 08:57 AM
If you have to pull it so tight, maybe your hair isn't long enough to comfortably do lazy wraps yet? I couldn't do any buns before I had gotten to waist length, and there are still many buns I can't do at almost bcl. If the bun hurts, I have to take it down. Don't want to risk getting traction alopecia.
As for inserting blunt sticks, I just wriggle it gently through the hair and sometimes use my hand to make an opening for the stick. It works well for me :)

Kaelee
August 1st, 2013, 08:59 AM
Forget the lazy wrap...try the disc bun! Seriously. I know I'm on a disc bun crusade at the moment but...seriously. Try it.

I'm BSL/midback and I can't even think about a LWB yet. I need at least another inch or two.

Leeloo
August 1st, 2013, 09:03 AM
If the bun hurts my scalp I have to take it down. I also move the stick a little side to side to wiggle it’s way through and I prefer corkscrew hair sticks. I think they go in easier and hold better without falling out.

Cowgirl16
August 1st, 2013, 10:47 AM
[QUOTE=Kaelee;2483796]Forget the lazy wrap...try the disc bun! QUOTE]

Is there a tutorial for the disc bun?? Thanks:)

I agree...your bun is too tight :D as other members have said maybe loosen the loop a little bit. If the stick is hurting my head I redo my bun.

Kaelee
August 1st, 2013, 10:54 AM
Yep! There are a few tutorials on youtube...it works anywhere from maybe APL to...indefinitely! :D

jessicac1
August 1st, 2013, 11:48 AM
Ooh disc bun is nice.

Have you tried a sock bun? You do have to tie your hair up first though, so not sure if thats damaging or not? But it looks great

meteor
August 1st, 2013, 12:12 PM
Unfortunately, damage can happen even with the safest hairtoys (like hair sticks) and safest buns (like lazy wrap). Try to be gentler. If you have trouble keeping it all up without torquing your hair aggressively, try redistributing the weight with accent braids or sectioning your hair.

My other guess is that your scalp is just getting adjusted to hair being pulled in new directions. It certainly happened to me for the first few months of bunning. How long has it been since you started doing LWB?

Cowgirl16
August 1st, 2013, 02:07 PM
Yep! There are a few tutorials on youtube...it works anywhere from maybe APL to...indefinitely! :D

Thank you!! I had forgotten about this bun!:D

ravenreed
August 1st, 2013, 02:30 PM
I occasionally hear snapping hairs no matter how careful I am. I do relatively loose buns because I am worried about traction alopecia. It means that I have to redo my hair more, but I rather that, TBH.

leslissocool
August 1st, 2013, 03:11 PM
I occasionally hear snapping hairs no matter how careful I am. I do relatively loose buns because I am worried about traction alopecia. It means that I have to redo my hair more, but I rather that, TBH.

This is why I do braids. I know many people think "OMG MECHANICAL DAMAGE!!!" but sticks catch my hair like crazy! Only the new ones I got from the swap don't (I am so happy!). And I can only do buns like the celtic knot bun and the balance (infinity?) bun without getting a neck ache. I think redoing your bun gives you as much damage as wearing a braid, at least for me (at TBL).

And I can feel it, because my hair is so coarse, I can FEEL the strand attached to my head be pulled. So braids for me.

jlb
August 1st, 2013, 04:55 PM
LWB is my go to bun, but that doesn't mean I don't still make it too tight on occasion & have to re-do it. Just a thought, but acrylic hairsticks seem to pull less & slide into my hair better. I'm not sure what you're using. I still use wood forks & sticks, but it seems like I need to adjust more often with those.

ravenreed
August 1st, 2013, 05:04 PM
My biggest problems with braiding is that my hair tangles and grabs itself as I am braiding. I have to brush a LOT before getting to the end, unless I want loops hanging out and uneven bumps. And then my hair texture kicks in and SPROING! I have ends popping out everywhere. However, I do love braided buns anyway, I just get lazy and forget to do them. My favorite starts with a French/Dutch braid base, and wraps around that. I find braided buns are more secure through the day though and I rarely have to redo them, so I think for me it is 50-50 as to which is least damaging.

ETA: I have never worn a braided bun without getting a compliment. People seem to go nuts for them. I guess because they look so much more complex than they are.

This is why I do braids. I know many people think "OMG MECHANICAL DAMAGE!!!" but sticks catch my hair like crazy! Only the new ones I got from the swap don't (I am so happy!). And I can only do buns like the celtic knot bun and the balance (infinity?) bun without getting a neck ache. I think redoing your bun gives you as much damage as wearing a braid, at least for me (at TBL).

And I can feel it, because my hair is so coarse, I can FEEL the strand attached to my head be pulled. So braids for me.

Coolcombination
August 1st, 2013, 05:13 PM
I just learnt the lwb, if I wrap it round one finger it hurts less than two so it ends up looser which means that it falls out. My hair is about bsl/mbl and ii so it is an in between kinda length. I'll try to part the hair before I stick the stick through. I watched the disc bun tutorial posted the other day but the lady doing it had such thick long hair that I assumed length was needed. I'll hunt down disc bun tutorials where the demonstrates has shorter hair, at the moment my go to style is a Cinnabun with a scrunchie.

Coolcombination
August 1st, 2013, 05:15 PM
Oh and I'm using a wooden stick, I like the look of the acrylic ones but I'm not allowed to buy from etsy. eBay is my prime hair toy hunting ground but there only seems to be metal heavily decorated hair sticks