PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your old shampoo?

fungo
August 1st, 2013, 04:27 AM
I have lots of shampoo I am not going to use, mostly because they contain SLS. I have tried offering it to friends but they think if I'm not using on my hair they don't want it either, which is fair enough.

But what can I do with it ? Any ideas

Could I use it to clean the bathroom ?

Firefox7275
August 1st, 2013, 04:51 AM
Use it as hand soap, body wash, foam bath, household cleaning (if not full of depositing conditioning agents), gift larger amounts to a homeless shelter.

Allychan
August 1st, 2013, 05:01 AM
Instead of throwing the old stuff out, I was adding coconut oil to it to help make it less harsh and more conditioning. Suppose it depends on how frugal you want to be.

sarahthegemini
August 1st, 2013, 05:11 AM
Shamefully, I wait til I can't stand it cluttering up my room then I throw it out :o I recently chucked out a load of shampoos, conditioners and serums. As well as styling products (volume mousse for example)

Othala
August 1st, 2013, 06:31 AM
I clean my patio with it as well as the bathroom tiles. Also use it instead of laundry liquid for washing clothes.

Busymom
August 1st, 2013, 06:53 AM
I used mine as body wash.. used lots of it at a time...just finished the last bottle...

LadyCelestina
August 1st, 2013, 07:19 AM
Use it to scrub floors...Or save it up for times when it might come in handy.Who knows,maybe one day you will decide to use it again.

Anabell
August 1st, 2013, 07:21 AM
Clarification shampoo? Who knows when you will need it, you don't want to buy a new one for this...
I think (maybe I'm wrong) that this clarify process is still more gentle than baking soda because at least it have *some* moisturize agents and it more close to the scalp Ph.

Robot Ninja
August 1st, 2013, 08:24 AM
I give it to my daughter but I also use shampoo to wash my pantyhose, makeup brushes, and BBB. If you have houseguests, tell them they're welcome to it. Or if you have male friends or relatives who will wash their hair with whatever gets it clean, give it to them.

Isilme
August 1st, 2013, 08:27 AM
Cleaning the bathtub, sink, toilet bowl, shaving legs, etc. The options are endless.

Natalina
August 1st, 2013, 08:27 AM
I keep them. Because I know I'll eventually need them to clarify my hair.

Leeloo
August 1st, 2013, 09:08 AM
I’d keep one to clarify. I gave mine to family/friends with short hair (mainly guys) who didn’t care if shampoo had sulphates.

Killahkurlz
August 1st, 2013, 09:22 AM
what about conditioner?

fungo
August 1st, 2013, 09:37 AM
what about conditioner?

I was wondering if you could use it as a fabric conditioner?

arelrios
August 1st, 2013, 10:24 AM
I’d keep one to clarify. I gave mine to family/friends with short hair (mainly guys) who didn’t care if shampoo had sulphates.

Exactly this... I am collecting them for now, so I can send them out at once to home ... I have tons of relatives/family that cannot even afford a SLS shampoo of the ones we have in the US... Believe me... even the SLS and coney shampoos and conditioners are better than whatever they can get there....

The idea of giving them to homeless shelters is really good... :)

arelrios
August 1st, 2013, 10:26 AM
what about conditioner?

I tried this week to use it for shaving and.... I don't think I will ever use something else... lol...

Tota
August 1st, 2013, 10:56 AM
I use my shampoo for hand-washing woolen clothes and I use conditioner for shaving - I think it works better than anything else.

spidermom
August 1st, 2013, 11:05 AM
I use it to scrub out my tub or to wash hand washables. You can wear gloves when you use it for these purposes so that you can be sure you aren't absorbing anything.

NightOwl26
August 1st, 2013, 11:59 AM
I use shampoo to clean my makeup brushes. Works great and smells nice!

nobeltonya
August 1st, 2013, 12:28 PM
When I went through my experimentation stage to find what works in my hair, I'd generally just keep the products (shampoos and conditioners) for a little bit to see if they'd work in different combinations. Otherwise, I'd eventually throw them away. Now that I know what works for my hair, I don't have any unnecessary clutter. :) I just use it up and throw away the empty containers. :disco:

ExpectoPatronum
August 1st, 2013, 12:32 PM
I use mine to clean my combs, brushes, and even makeup brushes. Or my brother and dad will use it. They tend to use whatever shampoo my mom and I don't use. My mom and I both use our own stuff.

stachelbeere
August 1st, 2013, 01:12 PM
I use mine as soap :)

akilina
August 1st, 2013, 01:51 PM
I use it for my bfs laundry or for washing towels.

What I do mostly do though is that I give my friends who don't care about hair care all of my products I don't want anymore. I have a particular friend that loves good smelly stuff so it works out perfect and her hair pretty much likes everything.

SweetBronze
August 1st, 2013, 02:36 PM
To clean my scrubber, Denman brush, and combs. I'm not 100% sulfate free, so I have rare moments when I use it on scalp.

Unicorn
August 1st, 2013, 02:57 PM
I'd use it for general cleaning. Bath tub, shower, sink, floors, hands.

For years I've used bubble bath as shower gel, hand wash and a general cleaner if I run out of standard cleaning stuff. I buy it in huge bottles at the £ shop or when it's on sale. It's my default cleaner.

Soaps/detergents/shampoos/bubble bath/shower gels/washing up liquid are all basically the same thing. The specific combination of ingredients can mean one is milder than another, but they are all variations on the same theme. You can also use it as shower gel or handwash. Why buy new 'soap' then throw out what you already have because the label says 'hair'?

Unicorn

lapushka
August 1st, 2013, 02:58 PM
We use old shampoo or shampoo that's no longer great for use on hair as handsoap.