PDA

View Full Version : The 2b/c Fine Hair Thread

K_Angel
August 1st, 2013, 02:17 AM
Is it just me or is 2b/c Fine Hair hard to find the right products for happy healthy hair????!!!??? I thought it might be nice to have a whole thread just for this type of hair.

I'm hoping we can group together, share experiences and find some solutions for this hard-to-please hair.

The top of my hair gets oily easily. My bangs are even more weird as they really qualify as 2a, or barely 2b, but the back of my head thinks that it's almost curly!

Currently, I'm in the process of changing up my hair routine, as everything I used before doesn't seem to work very well.

I found at Costco some of the Tigi Bed Head Moisture Maniac Shampoo and Conditioner. And while that does seem to be giving my hair the moisture it craves to create lovely waves, as soon as my hair dries, it feels rough and dry.

When I've tried conditioners that are more for curly girls, I get an oily soggy "wet dog" looking hair.

Because I have fine hair, I have to be careful that my waves don't turn to snarls and tangles. The Moisture Maniac has done well in making my hair not need extra things to detangle it. But something is missing. My virgin, waist length hair doesn't feel smooth and silky and nice at all.

Anyone else have similar problems or ideas?

Ms. Jaunty
August 1st, 2013, 03:22 AM
I'm more of a 2a/2b, but I agree that most hair advice just isn't for us. I used to do the Curly Girl routine, but had a terrible time finding products that weren't too heavy. Now I live in Germany, and can't even read labels! :D

Firefox7275 shares a wealth of science-based knowledge on this forum and over at Naturally Curly.

CurlyMopTop
August 1st, 2013, 05:20 AM
2b/2c finey checking in! I agree with you, it is extremely difficult to find the right products! After 2 years, I'm still looking! I just started using the generic forms of Biolages hydrating shampoo, reconstructive Conditioer, generic Paul Mitchell's Conditioning foam, and The One and Only Argan Oil's version of Moraccan Oil. I'll report back after I've been using them longer to let you know how it goes. So far, so good but it's only been 2 days. :D

Coolcombination
August 1st, 2013, 05:26 AM
I'm 2b/c and my hair seems to be medium but it behaves like fine hair, the grease shows up really quick and a lot of products are too heavy and weigh down my curls!

CurlyMopTop
August 1st, 2013, 05:27 AM
P.S. I should add don't pay attention to my sighy or profile pic as they don't fairly represent my hair type anymore. I have a couple of more recent pics in my hair album (brushed out anyway). :D

Quahatundightu
August 1st, 2013, 06:08 AM
I'm.glad you started this thread, I have also had a hard time finding products. My hair is so fine and goes limp and stringy quite easily. If anyone else is in Australia I have had great success with Sukin organic hair products. My hair has got quite a lot straighter as it has got longer so I'm also still trying to get used to that!

Flick6
August 1st, 2013, 06:17 AM
I'm.glad you started this thread, I have also had a hard time finding products. My hair is so fine and goes limp and stringy quite easily. If anyone else is in Australia I have had great success with Sukin organic hair products. My hair has got quite a lot straighter as it has got longer so I'm also still trying to get used to that!

Thanks for the recommendation, I was looking at Sukin today at CHemist Warehouse (or some such big chemist place), I will grab some next time I am there and try them.

I am currently using a shampoo bar I got from a farmers market, with no cone conditioner and diluted vinegar rinse. I dont know if it is just an adjustment to going sulphate free, but my hair is sooo greasy. I want the shampoo soap bar to be good for my hair because they are cheap and natural and smell delicious. I've also been using coconut oil (which also smells delicious, so maybe I need to back off from that. just love the yummy smells!

Quahatundightu
August 1st, 2013, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the recommendation, I was looking at Sukin today at CHemist Warehouse (or some such big chemist place), I will grab some next time I am there and try them.

I am currently using a shampoo bar I got from a farmers market, with no cone conditioner and diluted vinegar rinse. I dont know if it is just an adjustment to going sulphate free, but my hair is sooo greasy. I want the shampoo soap bar to be good for my hair because they are cheap and natural and smell delicious. I've also been using coconut oil (which also smells delicious, so maybe I need to back off from that. just love the yummy smells!

I am currently using the Purifying shampoo and the Nourishing conditioner and find they don't leave my hair greasy at all. I only tried it by chance when my dad picked me up one of the travel packs, and I'm still using their products 2 years later! I use a tiny amount of the conditioner as a leave in sometimes too, either mixed with some coconut oil or on its own. Do you do a vinegar rinse every wash? I find when I do one I get a greasier scalp in the next days.

One thing I find is that how my hair will look and feel is very dependent on the weather. It can be quite frustrating because something can work great one day but not the next time I try it.

Firefox7275
August 1st, 2013, 07:38 PM
What are all your hair properties and what are your dew points/ humidity (see free 'Curls on the Go' app)? Are you porous or low porosity? Do consider if you need to clarify or chelate, that can cause products not to work as before as can changes in the weather/ dews.

Generally fine hair does well with hydrolysed protein - it can boost curl and volume, act as a film former helping the cuticle lay flat, encourage curls to group together, even aid detangling if used in moderation. Also highly recommend the Curly Girl method, probably with a super gentle sulphate free shampoo rather than conditioner only washing since you are fine haired. Lots of ingredients have the potential to build up or weigh hair down: many silicones, some polyquats, butters, waxes including cetyl esters, petrolatum/ mineral oil. If you don't need them and/ or you use them in very high dews the potent humectants like glycerin can weigh hair down or cause frizz by holding too much water on the hair.

CousinItt
August 1st, 2013, 11:48 PM
What are all your hair properties and what are your dew points/ humidity (see free 'Curls on the Go' app)? Are you porous or low porosity? Do consider if you need to clarify or chelate, that can cause products not to work as before as can changes in the weather/ dews.

Generally fine hair does well with hydrolysed protein - it can boost curl and volume, act as a film former helping the cuticle lay flat, encourage curls to group together, even aid detangling if used in moderation. Also highly recommend the Curly Girl method, probably with a super gentle sulphate free shampoo rather than conditioner only washing since you are fine haired. Lots of ingredients have the potential to build up or weigh hair down: many silicones, some polyquats, butters, waxes including cetyl esters, petrolatum/ mineral oil. If you don't need them and/ or you use them in very high dews the potent humectants like glycerin can weigh hair down or cause frizz by holding too much water on the hair.
I definitely second the gentle sulphate free shampoo thing. Since I switched back to an occasional shampooing (desert essence raspberry shine shampoo and conditioner), my hair has become softer and much easier to detangle. It actually has taken on the soft, silky quality I remember having when I was younger. I guess it was build-up and dryness that made it feel coarser than it actually is. W/o, NW/so, baking soda/vinegar, and cowash didn't work out in the long run for me. My hair became either tangled and brittle or weighed down. Sometimes both at once!

i downloaded the curly app, but couldn't get it to work :(

K_Angel
August 2nd, 2013, 12:13 AM
Ms. Jaunty:I very much understand doing the curly girl routine seems almost impossible to do, because the products are way too heavy. When I bought something from the Curly Girl website, the information about it was that it was good for wavies. So, I thought, Ok, maybe that would work for me. But it was still way too heavy for my hair. And straight hair products don't seem to understand my needs either.

Oh and I see your new. Welcome! :)

It will be great to hear from you as you discover what will work for you best, so please share as you try things. :)

K_Angel
August 2nd, 2013, 12:16 AM
2b/2c finey checking in! I agree with you, it is extremely difficult to find the right products! After 2 years, I'm still looking! I just started using the generic forms of Biolages hydrating shampoo, reconstructive Conditioer, generic Paul Mitchell's Conditioning foam, and The One and Only Argan Oil's version of Moraccan Oil. I'll report back after I've been using them longer to let you know how it goes. So far, so good but it's only been 2 days. :D

I have done plenty of studying for the right product, and even when I think I've narrowed it down to all the right ingredients, with all the WRONG ingredients not in the product, I'm still coming up short. Like you, I decided well, I'm going to try a bunch of the things that work for others on this site, but to no avail. And even though I'm not really pleased with my current routine, it's doing a LOT better than any of the things I've decided to try. For the first time in my hair life, I'm not sure what to try next.

K_Angel
August 2nd, 2013, 12:26 AM
How about if everyone shares their current hair care routine. Telling what you like and don't like about it?

I'll go first. I currently am using the Tigi Bed Head Moisture Maniac Shampoo and Conditioner.

What I like about it, is that it doesn't flatten my hair. And the conditioner isn't too heavy. In many ways it seems too light to me, but then if I wait five minutes after I've towel dried my hair, all my tangles and snarls are easily combed out. So, truthfully, I should be feeling whoo hoo! But the one thing is really is lacking is that my hair feels horrible. It's not soft to the touch and always feel dry.

All the add in products I've tried, like Paul Mitchell's Awapuhi Moisture Mist spray, feel like they are going to work but then just seem to "for a lack of better way of putting it," make my hair oily and gross and the moisture doesn't last.

So, that's what's happening with my hair right now.

What about you? Which products work and which ones have been total flops?

K_Angel
August 2nd, 2013, 12:29 AM

I"m so glad to hear you've had success with this. I'm wondering, can you send me a URL to the product? I'd like to see what the ingredients are for this Sukin hair products.

What would you say were the best things Sukin does for you hair?

K_Angel
August 2nd, 2013, 12:35 AM
One thing I find is that how my hair will look and feel is very dependent on the weather. It can be quite frustrating because something can work great one day but not the next time I try it.

Weather is a HUGE factor in my hair too! During the winter especially, it's a real struggle to keep my hair moisturized. I wish I had some sort of water concoction that I could spray on my hair during the day to keep it from drying out more. But even now my hair is acting rough and dry and I can't figure out why.

K_Angel
August 2nd, 2013, 12:48 AM

I don't have any problems with frizzing that I hear others talk about. The humidity levels change a lot here in the Pacific NW and to make matters more difficult for my hair, my home requires a dehumidifier. So, even if it's moist outside, where my hair will be happier. Inside, for health reasons, the dehumidifier is on.

I have low porosity hair. So it neither takes or receives much of anything. They are stubborn little hairs.

And yes, I clarify, about once a month, just to make sure that none of the products are building up on my hair.

Generally fine hair does well with hydrolysed protein - it can boost curl and volume, act as a film former helping the cuticle lay flat, encourage curls to group together, even aid detangling if used in moderation.

I am familiar with that information. However, my hair will turn into an absolute rats nest that takes a week to work through, if I get too much protein in my hair. And since the last time I used a product with protein in it, my hair was literally in such a horrible mess, I had to work it out with oil and pull piece by piece out of the mat that just created itself. It was very traumatic experience. And since then I've tried to use only ones that had no protein in them. Perhaps, I need to find out what would be a "light" protein, or at least how far down on the bottle list of ingredients it would have to be?

Also highly recommend the Curly Girl method, probably with a super gentle sulphate free shampoo rather than conditioner only washing since you are fine haired. Lots of ingredients have the potential to build up or weigh hair down: many silicones, some polyquats, butters, waxes including cetyl esters, petrolatum/ mineral oil. If you don't need them and/ or you use them in very high dews the potent humectants like glycerin can weigh hair down or cause frizz by holding too much water on the hair.

I once also had a very BAD experience with the glycerin. It sucked the water out of my hair like there was no tomorrow. I spent 5 hours spraying my head with distilled water, as the glycerin continued to suck the water out of my hair, until it finally balanced out again.

I just wish there were an app for this sort of thing. Where you could describe you hair, hit the button and it tells you the exact products that would work for your type of hair. LOL

K_Angel
August 2nd, 2013, 12:52 AM
I definitely second the gentle sulphate free shampoo thing. Since I switched back to an occasional shampooing (desert essence raspberry shine shampoo and conditioner), my hair has become softer and much easier to detangle. It actually has taken on the soft, silky quality I remember having when I was younger. I guess it was build-up and dryness that made it feel coarser than it actually is. W/o, NW/so, baking soda/vinegar, and cowash didn't work out in the long run for me. My hair became either tangled and brittle or weighed down. Sometimes both at once!

i downloaded the curly app, but couldn't get it to work :(

W/O, CO, shampoo bar/vinegar, none of those worked for me either.

Desert Essence, I'll have to see where I can get some. Do you buy it locally or order it online somewhere?

Flor
August 2nd, 2013, 01:23 AM
I think I'm 2a. I always thought I had mostly straight hair, but then I found out how to properly test for the curls, and it's true that mine dries up really wavy if left alone.

I currently use all-natural shampoo bars that I order from an Etsy shop (please, let me know if it's ok to post links or mention shop names). I've been using them for almost a year now and I've figured out a few things about shampoo bars.

First, it really matters what oils they're made from and what additional ingredients they have. I've tried 5 different varieties from the same maker and they all gave me different results. I eventually decided which one I liked the best and settled on that one.

Second, you gotta rinse very well, if you don't want the hair to feel heavy. And it can't be properly rinsed off with cool water (I tried switching to only using lukewarm water for a while, because I thought it was better in general and that experiment didn't do well with shampoo bars).

I also use vinegar rinse and again, too high concentration can weigh hair down, so it's about finding the right balance.

Quahatundightu
August 2nd, 2013, 03:03 AM
I"m so glad to hear you've had success with this. I'm wondering, can you send me a URL to the product? I'd like to see what the ingredients are for this Sukin hair products.

What would you say were the best things Sukin does for you hair?

Sure you can find the hair products here (http://www.sukinorganics.com/Category/3/Hair-Care). As I said I have only tried the purifying shampoo and nourishing conditioner. They make my hair very soft, I get few tangles, and best of all they don't weigh it down, something I struggle with. I do either CWC or SC using just a small amount of shampoo.

Weather is a HUGE factor in my hair too! During the winter especially, it's a real struggle to keep my hair moisturized. I wish I had some sort of water concoction that I could spray on my hair during the day to keep it from drying out more. But even now my hair is acting rough and dry and I can't figure out why.

When my hair is acting like that (assuming I've clarified and it's still weird and dry) I often dampen it down, but a tiny amount of conditioner in it and damp bun it overnight. Wake up to soft and silky hair. I work in a very dry environment so I need to keep my hair moisturised.

Firefox7275
August 2nd, 2013, 06:05 AM
Ms. Jaunty:I very much understand doing the curly girl routine seems almost impossible to do, because the products are way too heavy. When I bought something from the Curly Girl website, the information about it was that it was good for wavies. So, I thought, Ok, maybe that would work for me. But it was still way too heavy for my hair. And straight hair products don't seem to understand my needs either.

Which products are way too heavy, did you buy the Deva ones? You don't have to use those to do the Curly Girl method, that is not what the book says nor what most wavies and curlies use. Over on NaturallyCurly there are a huge range of products lines used by people with fine hair, coarse hair, high dews, low dews, low porosity or high porosity. The 'trend' is for working with hair properties and humidity, not simply curl pattern.

You say in the OP "something is missing" IMO it's working with your climate - indoor or oudoor - and hair properties. Some combinations absolutely are much more challenging than others, that makes researching ingredients all the more important IMO, not just purchasing products because someone else used it or because of the advertising strapline. You have the 'hidden issue' of the dehumidifier at home, I have the 'hidden issue' of an inbuilt humidifier - I have a sweating problem.

I still think a super gentle shampoo could be of value, it's possible your scalp is pumping out too much sebum partly because it is dehydrated from the dehumidifier, then being dried and irritated by commercial shampoo also. Might be worth working on strengthening the skin barrier and scalp health in order to grow stronger healthier hair? The skin barrier is strengthened by saturated fatty acids, ceramides and cholesterol; providing your scalp with certain ingredients can potentially increase the ceramide content of the hair itself. These important structural fats are lost in daily care including shampooing but help keep the hair strong, elastic/ flexible and the right level of hydration.

There are other scalp friendly actives you might research and consider, nothing needs to be heavy. I personally think cleansers should effectively cleanse surface build up/ sebum without also stripping the structural fats from the hair. Cleansers are not supposed to be conditioning and deposit tons of heavy ingredients, emollients are usually used to disguise the fact that the base surfactants are stripping and drying. You might try 'baggying' your hair overnight as dry/ brittle haired kinky curls girls do.

What just 1% sulphates do to even healthy skin http://www.eczema.org/aqeous
What sulphates and soaps do to hair http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-porosity-and-curly-hair?page=4
Sulphates are not the only harsh surfactants http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/06/are-sulfate-free-shampoos-really.html

I don't have any problems with frizzing that I hear others talk about. The humidity levels change a lot here in the Pacific NW and to make matters more difficult for my hair, my home requires a dehumidifier. So, even if it's moist outside, where my hair will be happier. Inside, for health reasons, the dehumidifier is on.

I have low porosity hair. So it neither takes or receives much of anything. They are stubborn little hairs.

And yes, I clarify, about once a month, just to make sure that none of the products are building up on my hair.

I am familiar with that information. However, my hair will turn into an absolute rats nest that takes a week to work through, if I get too much protein in my hair. And since the last time I used a product with protein in it, my hair was literally in such a horrible mess, I had to work it out with oil and pull piece by piece out of the mat that just created itself. It was very traumatic experience. And since then I've tried to use only ones that had no protein in them. Perhaps, I need to find out what would be a "light" protein, or at least how far down on the bottle list of ingredients it would have to be?

I once also had a very BAD experience with the glycerin. It sucked the water out of my hair like there was no tomorrow. I spent 5 hours spraying my head with distilled water, as the glycerin continued to suck the water out of my hair, until it finally balanced out again.

I just wish there were an app for this sort of thing. Where you could describe you hair, hit the button and it tells you the exact products that would work for your type of hair. LOL

Clarifying monthly would not have been enough for me when I used silicone rich conditioners, I used a sulphate shampoo every time and my hair still looked best after my six/ eight weekly hair dye - later I realised the dye was clarifying for me. Last time I accidentally used a conditioner with ingredients that could build up (esp. cetyl esters) my hair was awful within a fortnight. Do you need to chelate for hard water deposits/ go swimming?

Products don't simply work for one curl pattern, they simply have the potential to work for that curl pattern - some products won't work for any wavies or fine hairs because they are so heavy so obviously should not be marketed to them, but nothing works for everyone just like no prescription drug works for everyone with a given medical condition. There are many other variables, same as for long hairs - humidity (indoors if that is where you spend all your time), length/ damage, personal tastes. There is the British Curlies forum and the Naturally Curly forum, also some excellent science-based articles for lay people by 'curl' chemist Tonya McKay on NC, the Natural Haven blog is well worth a read, some of the Live Curly Live Free/ 'curl whisperer' stuff is decent but less science based. There are articles on porosity, humidity, ingredient families and techniques.

Lots of people's hair looks or feels terrible if they overuse an ingredient or don't have balance in their routine, that is why I said if used in moderation. That doesn't mean you should dismiss them all just start slow and work up and consider the balance of your routine and how it works with your hair properties/ humidity and so on. My hair does well with a fair bit of hydrolysed protein but it has to be in balance with conditioning agents and a small amount of oils for me, with the drying type products/ no penetration enhancers I get build up and straw like hair. Obviously too much oil gives me the greasies, balance and moderation. Glycerin is a very potent humectant notorious for causing dry hair in lower humidity even at normal product concentrations (~2%).

HTH!

CurlyMopTop
August 2nd, 2013, 06:38 AM
Be wary of the Rasberry Desert Essence. I too have tried both shampoo and conditioner. I found the shampoo too harsh and something in the conditioner caused excessive shedding. For gentle shampoos, so far I've found the Loreal sulfate free lines to work best for me, but be wary of build up. I use to alternate with a sulfate shampoo for best results. 1 sulfate shampooing for every 2 or 3 non sulfate shampooings. Lol. The biggest problem I've found with going sulfate/silicone free is build up. A lot of natural ingredients build up just as much as silicones. To combat this I've found rotating products is best. Right now I'm sticking with the before mentioned products so I can see how they perform together on their own without rotating. I live in an area where humidity levels change daily! 70 no humidity one day to 90 100% humidity the next, freezing cold snowy winters or not. We normally have 4 very distinct seasons here. I'm so glad the OP started this thread!

Eryniel
August 2nd, 2013, 08:41 AM
My 2c,F,ii hair looks nice when it dries after a wash: it turns all curly and wavy and voluminous.
But if I sleep on it, it turns all stringy and tangled. (It doesn't matter if I wear it in a braid or not while sleeping.) My hair takes forever to comb it through, and when I'm done detangling it, it goes back to being tangled after about 5 minutes. :(

CousinItt
August 2nd, 2013, 12:08 PM
Be wary of the Rasberry Desert Essence. I too have tried both shampoo and conditioner. I found the shampoo too harsh and something in the conditioner caused excessive shedding. For gentle shampoos, so far I've found the Loreal sulfate free lines to work best for me, but be wary of build up *snip*

I haven't had any trouble with either. In fact, I expected more hair fall with my switch back to s&c, but it's well within normal boundaries. it goes to show that even people with the same general hair types will react differently to the same product.

detritus
August 2nd, 2013, 05:15 PM
Oh I need to keep an eye on this thread! I have the hardest time finding products for my hair. I've learned that silicones make my hair look great on day 1 and then everything gets all limp and the ends get gummy with buildup. I stay away from sulphates too.

The good stuff I've found so far:

--Acure mint and echinacea shampoo and conditioner
--Whole Foods 365 conditioner for CO days (I generally shampoo every 4-5 days or so)
--Camellia oil and aloe gel on my ends
--Acure leave-in conditioner for my ends (lately though this seems to give me frizz)
--Alba Botanica soft hold cream (my favorite so far. It smells like Elmer's glue, but gives me nice wave definition without weighing my hair down)
--Shea Moisture deep conditioning treatments (I like the yellow deep treatment mask and the green anti-breakage mask. I'm not a fan of the scents, but the yellow one is great when my hair is dry and the green is nice when it needs moisture)

Lately I've been unhappy with my hair though. I'm not sure if it's the humidity or if I need to clarify, but the ends are all poky and frizzy. It's at an awkward length and the weather has been so hot that I've just been wearing it up and doing my best to ignore it this summer. I'd love to learn some more products as my hair makes the transition past shoulder length and I need to use new stuff to keep it looking nice.

detritus
August 2nd, 2013, 05:24 PM
Oh! I've also had good results from catnip tea soaks, but because they require extra prep and time they aren't often a regular part of my routine. I may try to bring that back though. I had consistently great results when I was doing them.

K_Angel
August 3rd, 2013, 12:57 AM
I think one of the most frustrating things about my hair has been that when I first started on the LHC I had 1c hair! And found, through all the wonderful information on this site the perfect combo for my hair. Then a couple of years later it got more wavy! Back to learning about that hair type. Again, found another solution that I was very happy with. And every couple of years, it changes! And now, Iím a 2b/c, and Iím back in the steep learning curve :brickwall: that happens when I have to learn about a new type of hair. Itís very weird to have almost completely straight hair for most of your life and then have it be so very different now. :shrug: Not that I'm complaining! I'm loving my waves! :cheese:

Iím exactly at that point again, where nothing is working, so everything is an experiment again, with lots of bad hair days in between! Thank the Lord for Camellia japonica oil! When my hair feels fried, I can always ďdouseĒ my hair with that and at least all the tangles and dryness go away for a little bit. But itís a ďhat day for meĒ when my hair looks like an oil slick. :lol:

I also use vinegar rinse and again, too high concentration can weigh hair down, so it's about finding the right balance.

When my hair was 1c and even 2a, my hair loved the vinegar rinse. It made is shiny and soft and tangle free. Now my hair thinks Iíve sent it to the Sahara if I use vinegar. Iím not sure why.

When my hair is acting like that (assuming I've clarified and it's still weird and dry) I often dampen it down, but a tiny amount of conditioner in it and damp bun it overnight. Wake up to soft and silky hair. I work in a very dry environment so I need to keep my hair moisturised.

I do too, but Iíve noticed lately that the conditioner sort of ďstripsĒ my hair a bit. And I've yet to find one that I can use that doesn't weigh my hair down. And water does help and I use just a bit of the Camellia japonica oil to hold it longer. It works, but it makes my hair limp, greasy and at this point I have to do it all the time. Itís a solution of sorts, but Iíd sure like to have my soft shiny hair again.

K_Angel
August 3rd, 2013, 01:31 AM
Over on NaturallyCurly there are a huge range of products lines used by people with fine hair, coarse hair, high dews, low dews, low porosity or high porosity. The 'trend' is for working with hair properties and humidity, not simply curl pattern.

I used their information to purchase from the CurlMart. The ones they suggested for my hair type. I felt like I ďfell between the cracks,Ē on the site.

You say in the OP "something is missing" IMO it's working with your climate - indoor or oudoor - and hair properties. Some combinations absolutely are much more challenging than others, that makes researching ingredients all the more important IMO, not just purchasing products because someone else used it or because of the advertising strapline. You have the 'hidden issue' of the dehumidifier at home, I have the 'hidden issue' of an inbuilt humidifier - I have a sweating problem.

I agree with your assessment about ingredients being so important. In fact, after learning to read and understand ingredients, I often find it rather surpising at the statements on the front of bottles and the truth on the ingredient list! After all these years on the LHC, Iíve been able to narrow down the things my hair likes and doesnít like pretty well. Unfortunately, this time, after reaching into my known ďbag of tricksĒ nothing much seems to be helping.

I guess I shouldnít really say that. I was able to, through knowing ingredients, find the Moisture Maniac. And I would say it takes care of most of my hair issues. It detangles, which is a miracle all by itself. I used to spend an hour or more detangling after each cleaning and then it would just tangle up again. So that box is checked off. And believe me that is a BIG one. It also is actually not weighing my hair down. My waves look lovely while my hair is still wet/damp. The conditioner has no cones. My hair seems to hate protein except in VERY small amounts and this doesnít have that. It cleans my hair nicely. I wash the top with shampoo and from the ears down only conditioner. So all those boxes checked off nicely. But, something is missing. And Iím not sure what that is.

I still think a super gentle shampoo could be of value, it's possible your scalp is pumping out too much sebum partly because it is dehydrated from the dehumidifier, then being dried and irritated by commercial shampoo also.

Iíve tried gentle shampoo, natural shampoo, and CO. Even after a good long time of trial, they donít work as well as this shampoo. But Iím still open to trying that again, but as yet, still havenít found one that didnít leave me greasy on day one, by the end of the day.

You might try 'baggying' your hair overnight as dry/ brittle haired kinky curls girls do.

Unfortunately, my sensitive head wonít handle that.

Clarifying monthly would not have been enough for me when I used silicone rich conditioners, I used a sulphate shampoo every time and my hair still looked best after my six/ eight weekly hair dye - later I realised the dye was clarifying for me. Last time I accidentally used a conditioner with ingredients that could build up (esp. cetyl esters) my hair was awful within a fortnight. Do you need to chelate for hard water deposits/ go swimming?

No, we have soft water here in the Pacific NW. The conditioner I use has no cones in it.

Products don't simply work for one curl pattern, they simply have the potential to work for that curl pattern - some products won't work for any wavies or fine hairs because they are so heavy so obviously should not be marketed to them, but nothing works for everyone.

Yep, itís true. But sometimes, people with the same kind of hair type, have unique ideas for that type. And I like to hear what their experiences are, as it sometimes gives me good ideas to try, since Iím in the ďlearn a new hair typeĒ situation again.

Lots of people's hair looks or feels terrible if they overuse an ingredient or don't have balance in their routine, that is why I said if used in moderation. That doesn't mean you should dismiss them all just start slow and work up and consider the balance of your routine and how it works with your hair properties/ humidity and so on. My hair does well with a fair bit of hydrolysed protein but it has to be in balance with conditioning agents and a small amount of oils for me, with the drying type products/ no penetration enhancers I get build up and straw like hair. Obviously too much oil gives me the greasies, balance and moderation. Glycerin is a very potent humectant notorious for causing dry hair in lower humidity even at normal product concentrations (~2%).

Yes, I agree with you. I have carefully considered what Iím using now and it works for the most part, but I know I can have even better. And that little bit better is what Iím searching out now.

Thank you for your help! :flowers: Itís helped me realize that Iím on the right track and not quite as bad off as I think. Thereís something Iím missing, but Iím actually on the right track. Just need to figure out what is missing.

K_Angel
August 3rd, 2013, 01:59 AM
The good stuff I've found so far:

--Acure mint and echinacea shampoo and conditioner
--Whole Foods 365 conditioner for CO days (I generally shampoo every 4-5 days or so)
--Camellia oil and aloe gel on my ends
--Acure leave-in conditioner for my ends (lately though this seems to give me frizz)
--Alba Botanica soft hold cream (my favorite so far. It smells like Elmer's glue, but gives me nice wave definition without weighing my hair down)
--Shea Moisture deep conditioning treatments (I like the yellow deep treatment mask and the green anti-breakage mask. I'm not a fan of the scents, but the yellow one is great when my hair is dry and the green is nice when it needs moisture)

Thank you for the list. I cracked up when I read, “it smells like Elmer’s glue!” :lol:

I’ve been “circling” around the Shea Moisture deep conditioning products. They have some nice ingredients. How long do you have to leave them in your hair and do you have to use heat to make them work? What is the texture of it?

For those interested the ingredients are:

Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Hair Masque
Deionized Water, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Argan Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Emulsifying Wax, Sea Kelp Extract, Panthenol (Vitamin B-5), Essential Oil Blend, Avocado Oil, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Hyssopus Officinalis Extract, Salvia Officinalis Leaf and Equisetum Arvense Extract (Sage), Soybean Oil, Daucus Carota Sativa Seed Oil (Carrot)

I’ve tried Catnip before, and many many people use it successfully, but for some reason my hair didn’t like it. But that does remind me that I used to use Chamomile tea rinses. The biggest problem is that it makes your hair have a yellow highlight. A little is no problem, but I remember that used to make my hair soft. I need to try that again and see what happens.

detritus
August 5th, 2013, 11:52 AM
I usually leave the Shea Moisture conditioners in my hair 30 minutes or so, no heat. They are both very thick, but rinse clean without leaving my hair looking greasy. I realize I have a typo in my earlier post. The yellow line is great for dry hair. It can leave my hair a little flat but so, so soft. The green one is great for adding protein.

K_Angel
August 6th, 2013, 12:59 AM
I usually leave the Shea Moisture conditioners in my hair 30 minutes or so, no heat. They are both very thick, but rinse clean without leaving my hair looking greasy. I realize I have a typo in my earlier post. The yellow line is great for dry hair. It can leave my hair a little flat but so, so soft. The green one is great for adding protein.

Do you consider the flat to not be a down hair day? Or would it look fine if you wore it down after using the Shea Moisture? And do you consider this a once-in-a-while deep conditioning sort of product?

Do you wet your hair first and then add the Shea Moisture? And does it take a lot of rinsing?

Thanks for the "heads up" on this product! :)

detritus
August 6th, 2013, 05:21 PM
No, not so flat that I wouldn't still wear it down. And I just use it once in a while when my hair is particularly parched. It's too rich for every day for me. I usually shampoo my hair first then use the Shea Moisture. It rinses out easily.

twinklingbell
August 9th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Hi everyone! I'm a newbie and I have a couple of questions for you all in this thread.
I have 2C f/m iii hair with plenty of 3A riglets, but I mostly treat my hair like it's straight, It sort of works but sometimes I have a problem with frizz and dryness. Unfortunately, CO-washing left my hair looking and feeling very greasy and heavy. I have never used the things that are recommended for my curl type on the NaturallyCurly website, such as leave ins, mousses, gels, or deep conditioner. Has anyone else tried these products? Do you like them, or do these not work for you? My biggest concern is that my hair will look like it's full of product/grease. My hair is light so it looks dirty easily. If they work for you, which brands and how do you use them? I really appreciate any answers to my questions.

Tattersail
August 9th, 2013, 11:49 PM
Ok, first post ever :) Hope it all works and you can see my hair in the picture. I have fine hair and after lurking on lhc for a few weeks now I have started co-washing; the first week took a bit of getting used to, but I think my hair is loving it. I have stopped using silicone shampoos and conditioners, apart from a couple of spritzes of leave-in conditioner before blow drying, yes blow dry; its just gets a bit frizzy without the leave-in and its not practical for me, working full-time in a customer service role, to have air-drying hair as I speak to customers, haha.
I'm into my third week of co-washing, after shampooing with a gentle shampoo in between once, to give it a real good clean. For the co-wash I use Tresemme naturals conditioner and love it; its super slippy :o today was the first time I also rinsed with vinegar and its given a nice shine to it; my profile picture was taken today after blow-drying on the cool setting.
Have you 2a/2bs tried coconut oil in your hair? Is it too heavy? I might try that aswell, maybe just in the ends...

K_Angel
August 12th, 2013, 11:40 PM
Hi everyone! I'm a newbie and I have a couple of questions for you all in this thread.
I have 2C f/m iii hair with plenty of 3A riglets, but I mostly treat my hair like it's straight, It sort of works but sometimes I have a problem with frizz and dryness. Unfortunately, CO-washing left my hair looking and feeling very greasy and heavy. I have never used the things that are recommended for my curl type on the NaturallyCurly website, such as leave ins, mousses, gels, or deep conditioner. Has anyone else tried these products? Do you like them, or do these not work for you? My biggest concern is that my hair will look like it's full of product/grease. My hair is light so it looks dirty easily. If they work for you, which brands and how do you use them? I really appreciate any answers to my questions.

:waving: Hi! Sorry I didn't respond sooner. They used to email us when a new post went on and it was easier to follow. I just got busy and forgot to check again. :oops:

I too have pretty much treated my hair as straight for the longest time. But it's just not possible after a while. I too have the problem of things being too heavy on my hair. And CO washing did the same, grease-ies etc. Deep condition-ing is very helpful. And oil-ings can be awesome too, "cleaned" out with conditioner (shampoo will just strip your hair of the benefits you just did by oiling). Both of those things have really helped me.

As for extras..... I use one extra product, not from the NaturallyCurly website, but from Sally's. Because my hair tangles easily, I bought a product that usually is used as a curl enhancer, but I had read, I think on here, that this one softens the curls and makes them more manageable. And that sounded wonderful to me! But like everything else, use sparingly. It's called Biotera Curl Creme. And can be viewed here. (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Curl-Creme/SBS-623538,default,pd.html) Because it has glycerin (a humectant) I can't use it straight. I have to put a few squirts in a small spray bottle and fill the rest of it up with distilled water and shake well. And use it sparingly, 3 sprays kind of sparingly. But it does help with the "softening" of my curly parts, and doesn't oil me up.

I recently decided to study up on the NaturallyCurly website and bought something they suggested for my hair. It was called Kinky-Curly Knot Today. It's a very popular product and it was what they recommended for my hair type. But it also gave me the grease-ies and didn't feel like it did anything for my hair. Which is actually why I thought starting this thread might help me figure out what was right for my hair. :)

Sorry I can't give you more examples of products to try. One of the biggest challenges in finding the right products for your hair is that first you have to find out what your hair likes and doesn't like. Does your hair like protein? Does it like humectants like honey, glycerin and aloe vera? In my case the answer is no and it limits a LOT of products I can try. And there are a bunch of other questions you'll want to investigate to find the right products for you.

HTH :flower:

K_Angel
August 13th, 2013, 12:05 AM
Ok, first post ever :) Hope it all works and you can see my hair in the picture. I have fine hair and after lurking on lhc for a few weeks now I have started co-washing; the first week took a bit of getting used to, but I think my hair is loving it. I have stopped using silicone shampoos and conditioners, apart from a couple of spritzes of leave-in conditioner before blow drying, yes blow dry; its just gets a bit frizzy without the leave-in and its not practical for me, working full-time in a customer service role, to have air-drying hair as I speak to customers, haha.
I'm into my third week of co-washing, after shampooing with a gentle shampoo in between once, to give it a real good clean. For the co-wash I use Tresemme naturals conditioner and love it; its super slippy :o today was the first time I also rinsed with vinegar and its given a nice shine to it; my profile picture was taken today after blow-drying on the cool setting.
Have you 2a/2bs tried coconut oil in your hair? Is it too heavy? I might try that aswell, maybe just in the ends...

Welcome to the LHC! :blossom:

Ok, one thing about CO washing is that it presupposes that you are not using any cones at all. Not that cones are evil, but because CO-ing can't "wash out" cones. So, if your leave-in has cones in it, you'll have to clarify. The gentle shampoo may or may not have the ability to wash out the cones the leave-in is putting in your hair. A vinegar rinse might be clarifying... I"m sorry I don't remember, but I'm sure you can find a source to tell you. Keep in mind that vinegar rinse is adding acid to your mix. No big thing in the short term, but just keep track of the "chemicals," even natural ones, you're putting in your hair.

As for blow drying, I understand why you do it. :) Keep in mind two things with growing your hair out and blow drying. ONe is that it does mechanical damage (meaning the shear wind and whipping of your hair). And the heat part will "boil" the inside of the hair and cause damage that way. There used to be an awesome article by Nightshade with pictures and everything that really explained it well. So, when you do blow dry, always use the cool setting. It's still doing some damage, but at least it's not doing as much. :) You might want to ask Nighshade if she knows how to access that article. And the second thing to keep in mind is how long do you want to grow your hair out? If you're not trying for more than BSL or waist at the very most, you may be able to get away with the blowdrying habit, but the longer you want to go, the more you have to take very very very careful of your hair. And if along the way you experience breakage at any given point and are having a hard time getting longer... you will at least know this is one of the culprits in all likelihood. I"m not judging you for blowdrying your hair. We all have to do what we have to do with work and such. But I do want to help you now, so you don't have pain later, if your hair goals are the longer lengths.

Coconut oiling is very popular and works marvels for many people. A lot of them use it for deep conditioning treatments and such. Some use it just on the ends to give them the extra that ends can need to stay looking healthy as you grow out. If you type in the search section "coconut oil" I think you'll find a ton of threads that talk about it and can give you great ideas on how to use it. I personally found out my scalp was allergic to it, I was very disappointed with that! :( I think it's a very good practice to start off trying coconut oil just on the ends and see how your hair takes to it. And try very small amounts at a time. One word of caution, I don't know if Perth, Australia is a warm place all the time, but people who successfully use coconut oil in the summer time have found that during the winter it just turns back into a solid on your hair. As at room temperature it's a solid. The same thing has been reported with people who use Shea in their hair. Just a few things to keep in mind as you experiment. Oh and one more word of caution, remember to try things slowly. It's so hard when you're first on the boards and you want to try everything at once. But to be sure what is working and what isn't, always give yourself plenty of time to test one thing at a time. That way you can be sure that it's not a combination of things that don't work together on your hair. :)

HTH! :blossom:

Bambi
August 13th, 2013, 07:53 AM
I'm glad we're not alone in this:). I've tried it all and this is my conclusion: Sulphate-free schampoo, a good conditioner and leave in, wash once a week, oil the ends as much as possible, honey-acv-olive oil treatment, works best for my hair right now. I will also add that my hair is getting straighter as it gains lenght.

twinklingbell
August 14th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Oh wow, thank you so much for answering my questions! :) It's good to know that deep conditioning works well for our hair type. Do you have any particular brand of deep-conditioner that you like, or do you use a home made recipe like Snowy's Moisture Treatment? Also, thanks for recommending the Sally's Biotera Curl Creme, I will definately try it out sometime!
I am still trying out different things on my hair to see what it likes. I know it likes soy proteins and hydrolyzed proteins. I'm not sure if it likes regular keratin, but it seems to be okay with hydrolyzed keratin, and I've haven't tried honey or glycerin yet. My hair has liked products with aloe vera in the past, but those products had it close to the end of the ingredients list. I'm going to try to buy pure glycerine, and pure aloe vera, but that's not so easy because I only have Walmart, Winn Dixie, CVS, and Walgreens close by. I might have to buy a glycerine based bar soap.
I've got just one more question? Have you ever tried white vinegar, or acv vinegar rinses? If you did, how'd you like them? (I've just entered the next level of hair care that most people outside LHC don't know about LOL!) :o

Tattersail
August 15th, 2013, 07:21 AM
@k_angel, thank you so much for your comprehensive answer :joy: I really appreciate you taking the time.
I suppose I better find a leave-in thats cone free then, cos I don't think I can go without. I've heard about blow-drying boiling hair, so I use it only on the cool setting, unless I'm in a big rush, haha, but I have to admit, my hair feels much nicer if I air-dry of cool-blow-dry it. I'm only aiming for bsl or maybe a tiny vit longer, so hopefully it won't do too much damage. my main goal is to grow out my coloured hair and go back to natural.
With the acv rinse, I only leave it in for less than 1 minute and then rinse it out; my hair and scalp feel really clean afterwards.
I already cook with coconut oil and sometimes rub it on my skin after going to the beach, so I don't think I'd have problems using it. Perth is quite hot for about 9 months of the year; unless its winter its at least 25 degrees celsius (77 fahrenheit) at 9am, and then it gets hotter during the day. so the coconut oil should be fine.... but, actually, because of the heat everything here is air-conditioned, so maybe not :confused:
and you are completely right about wanting to try all things at once, haha :) I think for now I'll stick with co-washing for a while cos I'm really liking it, and I might try out some other things along the way.
I had to laugh at my friend the other day; for the first time she tried a hair mask with honey, egg, oils and whatever else- then she tried to rinse it out with hot water.... =scrambed eggs in hair, lol. I felt sorry for her but couldn't stop laughing.

@twinklingbell; like I said above I've just started acv rinsing (twice so far) after my co-washes; I really liked it cos it made my hair feel very clean and it gave it a bit of shine too. I used an old spray bottle that I cleaned and rinsed out thoroughly. then i put about a half cup of acv in there and filled it up with water. after washing my hair i just squirt it all through my wet hair, gently massage it for about half a minute and then rinse it out. I looked it up; because it is a mild acid it is very close to your natural scalp ph and therefore helps re-balancing your scalp after washing. apparently its also supposed to help close the hair cuticle :shrug: there's an african american girl on youtube who explains it quite well.
if you try it let me know what you thought of it.

twinklingbell
August 15th, 2013, 02:29 PM
@tattersail, Thanks so much for the specifics on how you use the acv rinse! I don't know how I missed that from your previous post :p I will try it out as soon as I can, which will probably be in a couple of weeks when I get home from vacation! I can't wait :) I will definitely post how it works for me.

Tattersail
August 16th, 2013, 06:22 AM
@twinklingbell, yeah let us know :) it's good to share each others expriences, enjoy your holiday

Quahatundightu
August 23rd, 2013, 11:55 PM
Do any of you have recommendations for a good curl creme or other product that enhances your curl?

I have had some luck with Garnier Curl Control mousse but it also dries out my hair so I would like something that would be moisturising as well as volumising and curl enhancing. Aloe vera also works for my hair, and I have probably had the best luck with homemad flaxseed gel but I'm too lazy to make it too often.

joliherb
January 26th, 2016, 08:36 AM
I am using Not Your Mothers Way to Grow. It doesn't have the sulfates in it. It's the best shampoo I've found in a long time. I buy it at Walmart. Once a week I am deep oiling my hair with1/2 castor oil and 1/2 coconut oil. I heat the oil and leave it in as long as I can stand it. Then I wash it twice as it is very oily. as soon as I get out of the shower I put oil right back on the ends. at the moment I am using Aloxxi Essential 7 restorative hair serum. It is working nicely! I'm not sure were to buy it because a friend gave it to me.

kendraf
January 26th, 2016, 09:11 AM
I have fine 2a/2b hair but it's rather thick. My routine is pretty simple and seems to be working:

- wash 2x a week
- sulfate-free shampoo on my roots only (Aveeno Pure Renewal)
- cone-free conditioner on length only (Burt's Bees More Moisture)
- clarify twice a month (V05 Kiwi Lime Clarifying)
- Air dry, no/minimal heat
- Light coconut oil on ends
- Heavily oil ends overnight before wash day
- Occasional deep condition (Shea Moisture Tahitian Noni Masque)

Remi
January 28th, 2016, 01:37 PM
Sounds like you have a good, comprehensive routine. Do you sleep with a braid or bun? I find I have to braid at night or loose in a sleep cap, just to prevent tangles. :o
I have fine 2a/2b hair but it's rather thick. My routine is pretty simple and seems to be working:

- wash 2x a week

kendraf
January 28th, 2016, 02:57 PM
Sounds like you have a good, comprehensive routine. Do you sleep with a braid or bun? I find I have to braid at night or loose in a sleep cap, just to prevent tangles. :o

Sometimes I sleep in a braid, sometimes loose. I always lightly oil my ends before bed, that seems to help prevent tangles.

Remi
January 29th, 2016, 07:04 AM
Yes, the oiling is important too! Thank you for reminding me. Your hair looks so pretty. :)
Sometimes I sleep in a braid, sometimes loose. I always lightly oil my ends before bed, that seems to help prevent tangles.

lapushka
January 29th, 2016, 09:09 AM
Nice a thread for wavy fineys! Just discovered this one. I sleep with my hair loose, and it's up in a LWB during the day. That's how I wear my hair. It's only down on wash day, and it does get clipped up in claw clips then, yes even the length (curly girl method).

Laur
January 29th, 2016, 04:17 PM
I also sleep with my hair loose, but keep it up during the day. It's down after I wash it in the evenings, but that's about it.

Crystawni
January 29th, 2016, 06:14 PM

- wash 2x a week

This is pretty much what I do, but with different products (noted in my profile). And no heat at all for me at all. I live in heat. :p As for sleeping, my hair is either French braided and bunned, a high cinnabun on the top of my head (both secured with a combo set of Quattro starlites), or loose, unsecured bun and silk-capped when it's a tad cooler at night. I sometimes refresh the ends with water in the morning if I'm wearing my hair down for a bit to bring back the curlies (sig pic is freshly washed and oven drying--yup, it's that hot here at the moment!).

SaraJayne
January 30th, 2016, 09:14 AM
Oh, I think this is me, I'm saying I'm a 2b but open to opinion. My hair is definitely fine and can get limp and stringy. I've just air dried with no product for hair typing and I'm amazed how little frizz I have. Now I'm thinking I'll reduce product use going forwards. I normally use a serum, detangler, curl creme and curl activating gel spray. They work well although are a bit crunchy at first. I wash and condition every other day as my waves/curls lose shape. I can reactivate them with water and a quick scrunch but this seems to cause frizz. I'd love to know how to do this without the frizzies ruining it.

Eastbound&Down
February 28th, 2016, 10:15 AM
I have 'S' style waves, which I absolutely love! Especially now that it is getting longer. Unfortunately, my job requires that I wear it up in a tight bun every day. I would love to be able to promote my waves when I'm not in uniform but I don't know how outside of washing it more (I currently wash 1x a week, sometimes WO mid week) I also don't really use a lot of products, but mainly because I don't know which ones to buy. What do you use to promote your waves/curls? I'm not opposed to sulfates or anything. Would love some tips!

MidnightMoon
February 29th, 2016, 10:43 AM
I had no idea this thread existed until now :P
I guess this is where I belong.
2b2c (in my opinion) fine hair, currently dyed three colours but soon to be black and green only again.
My routine is on my profile, though Ill proceed to read your routines to see if theres anything Im not doing which I should be...

MidnightMoon
February 29th, 2016, 10:46 AM
I am a bit concerned about hair classifying, though. Ive seen various types of curls and waves being classified as 2b/2c. I feel that my hair is so fine that even though right after washing with no manipulation it can get in clumps and be quite wavy as soon as I brush it, or even comb it with my hands the strands lose the waviness/shape. It just doesnt have the strength to maintain the shape and turns straighter than right after washing. Id think that coarse hair maintains its shape better.

SaraJayne
February 29th, 2016, 11:56 AM
I think losing shape is quite typical of our hair type. When I used to straighten I could wash every 3 - 4 days, but now air drying I wash after 2 days because I can't reactivate a nice shape without causing more frizz than I'm prepared to put up with.Sleeping on it invariably makes a mess of it, and I can't braid without completely losing shape the next day. Do you all sleep with your hair loose?

Eastbound&down, the main way I can promote my waves is water. I don't need product to make waves, only for them to be really smooth (found that out when I dried without any for hair typing). However I currently like Lee Stafford products. His Curl Creme Lite is specifically for our hair type and I get soft wurls using that on wet hair (I just remove the worst of the water with a microfibre towel then apply, scrunch a little and leave alone). I also love his Coco Loco Spritz. This is really nice for reactivating waves without too much frizz on day 2. I don't know what it would do without any product from the day before to work with, but it smells amazing and I tried it on that basis alone :)

SaraJayne
February 29th, 2016, 12:05 PM
Just looked at all the pictures on here and I think I got my hair type right - I feel very at home with you guys!:D

Eastbound&Down
February 29th, 2016, 12:37 PM
I think losing shape is quite typical of our hair type. When I used to straighten I could wash every 3 - 4 days, but now air drying I wash after 2 days because I can't reactivate a nice shape without causing more frizz than I'm prepared to put up with.Sleeping on it invariably makes a mess of it, and I can't braid without completely losing shape the next day. Do you all sleep with your hair loose?

Eastbound&down, the main way I can promote my waves is water. I don't need product to make waves, only for them to be really smooth (found that out when I dried without any for hair typing). However I currently like Lee Stafford products. His Curl Creme Lite is specifically for our hair type and I get soft wurls using that on wet hair (I just remove the worst of the water with a microfibre towel then apply, scrunch a little and leave alone). I also love his Coco Loco Spritz. This is really nice for reactivating waves without too much frizz on day 2. I don't know what it would do without any product from the day before to work with, but it smells amazing and I tried it on that basis alone :)

Yeah, I can spritz it with water and that helps revive them a little but it's mainly just the top portion that is heavier for some reason. I'll have to look into that, thanks!

MidnightMoon
February 29th, 2016, 12:47 PM

I dont, I usually braid after brushing upside down or standing in normal position. One or two plaits. I sometimes just toss it over the top of the pillow, and I have slept in a bun, too, but its almost never loose.

Remi
March 1st, 2016, 08:38 PM
SaraJayne....I usually braid it and wear a silk sleep cap. Some nights when I don't feel well I just braid it and flip it over the pillow. I do use a silk pillowcase, though.

Eastbound&Down
March 3rd, 2016, 08:19 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21861&d=1457015174

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21860&d=1457015163

I finally got a good picture of my waves yay! The first is just a random one singled out and then a superfluous pic of the whole mass together. This is before combing after CO wash. Sorry if they are huge, I'm working on figuring out how to shrink them down.

Silverbrumby
March 3rd, 2016, 10:47 AM
[QUOTE=SaraJayne;3180064]I think losing shape is quite typical of our hair type. When I used to straighten I could wash every 3 - 4 days, but now air drying I wash after 2 days because I can't reactivate a nice shape without causing more frizz than I'm prepared to put up with.Sleeping on it invariably makes a mess of it, and I can't braid without completely losing shape the next day. Do you all sleep with your hair loose?

I usually just put my hair into a very loose top knot bun on top of my head with an alligator clip, one as my hair isn't thick. The next day it's hit or miss on the curls. Some mornings I wake up and the humidity is just right for me getting soft loose curls. Other ways it turns easily into frizz. I think this type of hair is very tricky to get right sometimes. At least that's been my experience.

vpatt
December 1st, 2016, 06:27 PM
Is there another more current thread on this hair type?

Crystawni
December 1st, 2016, 07:37 PM
Is there another more current thread on this hair type?

No, I think this is it. :) Your sig pic reminds me of my hair. Such a mix of pretty in there, vpatt!

My face framers can get their sproing on (dry hair), and some of the lengthier bits tend to spiral (hair drying and a bit of a frizzfest).

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o722/Weighting/Just%20Hair/sproings_zpsqodplyer.jpg

And when it's wetter than damp, it looks like this at the back, more or less:

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o722/Weighting/Just%20Hair/wet%20mop_zpsavglmcvy.jpg

I've been COing for a few months now, and my sensitive scalp and head hair are loving the lighter oomph of diluted Joico K-Pak conditioner, but my wallet is dreading when I run out... Lucky it's a massive bottle, although I wasted a bit at the start as a shave cream and on my mulshipoo doglette when I thought it wasn't working for my lengths prior to CO. :rolleyes: I'm also finding I can go much longer between washes with heaps of body and lightness still, but tend to still wash every 3 days or so for the freshness. My length does better with cone-free, though, and lately I'm struggling to use any oil on my low porosity hair as it just sits there.

vpatt
December 1st, 2016, 07:47 PM
Oh your hair is so beautiful......I want it!! Mine has more wave at times...less at times. Sometimes I need to brush it to make it look less messy and then I have to dampen it to make it look less...hmmm, maybe less dryish on the ends. It's not really dry but brushing does something to it. And some days it seems closer to straight. And it doesn't seem to hold braid or bun waves which it looks like it should. It is crazy stubborn.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 1st, 2016, 08:00 PM
I think I fall into this hair type. My hair tends to like most of everything but cones. My siggy gives the info lol
Im just glad I see ladies here with my hair type around waist/hip. Cause thats my goal!

pailin
December 1st, 2016, 08:36 PM
Not sure I knew this thread existed- nice to see it.
-off to read the first page -

littlestarface
December 1st, 2016, 08:47 PM
I get this wavy/wurly when I scrunch my hair with water, I love it cuz it makes my hair look the best. After wash no nothing it's just 2a/2b, my hair is pretty much all in the 2 range all the time so I just put 2a in my stats. My hair does best with literally nothing on it, no cones or else it gets weighed down and greasy, my scalp is very finicky and only likes certain shampoos.

lapushka
December 2nd, 2016, 03:46 AM
I can spruce up my texture pretty well with the CES (curl enhancing smoothie) by Shea Moisture. I use it as my leave-in, scrunch it up, done, some gel over the top of it and a bit of serum; all set to go.

vpatt
December 2nd, 2016, 07:02 AM
I can spruce up my texture pretty well with the CES (curl enhancing smoothie) by Shea Moisture. I use it as my leave-in, scrunch it up, done, some gel over the top of it and a bit of serum; all set to go.

I have tried the souffle and it dries like glue in my hair ( but one daughter likes it), lol. But oh my goodness, it smells good enough to eat. How does the smoothie dry? And it is the yummy flavor?

vpatt
December 2nd, 2016, 07:03 AM
My hair below was after washing for typing, but then I went jogging in the rain.....wow, lol.

Arctic
December 2nd, 2016, 07:09 AM
Vpatt you need to update your hair type :D

vpatt
December 2nd, 2016, 07:27 AM
Vpatt you need to update your hair type :D

You think 2a would be an average of all the different things my hair does, lol?

lapushka
December 2nd, 2016, 07:32 AM
You think 2a would be an average of all the different things my hair does, lol?

Then I would for sure put 2b, it's a nice middle-ground. Or even 2b/c, due to that spiral.

vpatt
December 2nd, 2016, 07:35 AM
Then I would for sure put 2b, it's a nice middle-ground. Or even 2b/c, due to that spiral.

Usually there are more spirals but they are not so fat as that one.....but if I brush it is more like the avatar....I might try the smoothie you mentioned by Shea Moisture.

Arctic
December 2nd, 2016, 07:40 AM
Yes I agree with Lapushka; it's more than 2a, which does not form spiral.

I understand the problems with multitype hair though, mine is something like 1b-2b and might even have few lazy spirals on the underlayer when I try to encourage my waves. I have needed to compromise with my hair type stats.

vpatt
December 2nd, 2016, 07:42 AM
Oh, Lapushka and Arctic, if you look at my profile pic it is from the back...as usual not a good picture, but I would be curious how you type it.

Arctic
December 2nd, 2016, 07:47 AM
I see spirals there, too :) Usually wavy with few spirals is in the 2c realm. You do seem more wavy than I am (although my waves are mostly hidden by my straightish canopy).

vpatt
December 2nd, 2016, 07:53 AM
I see spirals there, too :) Usually wavy with few spirals is in the 2b/2c realm. You do seem more wavy than I am (although my waves are mostly hidden by my straightish canopy).

Yes mine is more on the underneath than top.....that picture looks so thin, but in reality only the very crown is thin. Some of that is the silvers, they sometimes look like scalp shining through.
Thank you for the typing help! Of course by waist length this could change again....shape shifting hair....

Edit: I guess I am reluctant to say 2c, lol, because there are those times it looks straighter. And you know a year ago there was much less wave.

Arctic
December 2nd, 2016, 08:01 AM
Looks like cowlick to me :eye: And half of your hair is pushed over the shoulders. Yeah it's probably quite common that wave pattern and other pieces of hair type puzzle can change with time/length. I used to be a straighties with fine hair, then I was at one point very wavy, underside was about 2b (with occasional lazy spiral) most of the time (canopy has always been straighter) and my strands became more coarse and wiry/kinky and now it's again been straighter, even the underside.

vpatt
December 2nd, 2016, 08:48 AM
I didn't even realize til just now this IS 2b to 2c thread, was thinking 2a to 2b. Didn't read it correctly. But no matter, I guess. I wanted to choose type 2a to 2c, but it was not an option.

kinnyuu
December 2nd, 2016, 09:02 AM
I am around that. I Like to cowash with As I Am, and use a little coconut oil on ends after. Leaves hair soft, without being too weighed down. <3

vpatt
December 2nd, 2016, 12:55 PM
I am around that. I Like to cowash with As I Am, and use a little coconut oil on ends after. Leaves hair soft, without being too weighed down. <3

I love that stuff, it smells so good. But my hair does better with Suave Naturals and my fave was Tresemme conditioner. But Tresemme stopped making the one I used. I haven't found a replacement yet. I use some of the Suave as a leave in, also. And then I take a wee bit of Shea Moisture Co Wash and put in the very ends. Of course, right now I am using shampoo for hair loss just on my scalp.

Kake
December 2nd, 2016, 02:08 PM
Yes mine is more on the underneath than top.....that picture looks so thin, but in reality only the very crown is thin. Some of that is the silvers, they sometimes look like scalp shining through.
Thank you for the typing help! Of course by waist length this could change again....shape shifting hair....

Edit: I guess I am reluctant to say 2c, lol, because there are those times it looks straighter. And you know a year ago there was much less wave.

Vpatt my hair is definitely at least 2c (may even be 2c/3a) and the wave/curl is not always there. It's there after washing, but it falls out over time, and when it has been bunned or braided. The fine texture and curl combination can be quite a conundrum.

lapushka
December 2nd, 2016, 02:10 PM
Oh, Lapushka and Arctic, if you look at my profile pic it is from the back...as usual not a good picture, but I would be curious how you type it.

That to me would be 1c/2a. No more than that.

Kake
December 2nd, 2016, 02:19 PM
Vpatt, sorry to butt in, but your profile pic looks 2b/2c to me. But I don't claim to be at all good at typing.

lapushka
December 2nd, 2016, 02:22 PM
Vpatt, sorry to butt in, but your profile pic looks 2b/2c to me. But I don't claim to be at all good at typing.

2b/c would be more tight like braid waves. The avatar picture is looser than that. The signature pic has one spiral, which would suggest 2c. This is very confusing to me. Are you sure the pic with the spiral isn't "enhanced"? :)

Kake
December 2nd, 2016, 02:24 PM
2b/c would be more tight like braid waves. The avatar picture is looser than that. The signature pic has one spiral, which would suggest 2c. This is very confusing to me. Are you sure the pic with the spiral isn't "enhanced"?

The photo I'm talking about is when you go to the poster's profile. I think that's the one vpatt wanted typed.

lapushka
December 2nd, 2016, 02:29 PM
The photo I'm talking about is when you go to the poster's profile. I think that's the one vpatt wanted typed.

Oh that one! I would say 2b/c then. ;) Sorry. :)

Kake
December 2nd, 2016, 02:33 PM
Oh that one! I would say 2b/c then. ;) Sorry. :)

Not at all. :)

I'm glad I got it right.

vpatt
December 2nd, 2016, 03:11 PM
No Lapushka, it is not enhanced, lol. Well, I don't remember where I said it but I did say it was washed as per typing instructions, but then I went jogging in the rain with it down. That may have made that big fat spiral. But I do get spirals at different places throughout just thinner ones. So I mean it was not enhanced by product or by me manipulating it......but perhaps the bouncing around in the rain?

In the avatar I had brushed with a TT.

Oh hey, Lapushka, I bought the Curl Enhancing Smoothie today and I think I am going to like it. Yummmm

lapushka
December 2nd, 2016, 03:21 PM
Oh hey, Lapushka, I bought the Curl Enhancing Smoothie today and I think I am going to like it. Yummmm

I know it's great. It was so great at first that I jabbed my stubby little fingers in there to get too much product out. ;) Take it slow when you try it. Coinsize first, then build if you can.

vpatt
December 2nd, 2016, 03:42 PM
I know it's great. It was so great at first that I jabbed my stubby little fingers in there to get too much product out. ;) Take it slow when you try it. Coinsize first, then build if you can.

I already played with it.....I only used a wee bit. Next I may try it with conditioner mixed with water to spray on. It is a bit sticky when dry, but not as much as the souffle. But I think it does help me even out the bit of wave I have. But the fragrance, mmmm.

ReadingRenee
December 2nd, 2016, 05:06 PM
I have found my people!

Vpatt, I love your hair!

My hair is always nuts. It's fine and wavy and can make spirals but I can also comb it almost straight with just a few loose waves. The underlayer has a lot of spirals. I have discovered that the best way to encourage my waves is to let it dry from basically soaking wet to dry without touching it. ( this is almost impossible) I also use silicone free shampoo and conditioner and I do WCC with the second condish being Suave coconut naturals. I also recently got the shea moisture smoothie and I love it! It really helps cut down on the frizz and smooths my waves out. I haven't used it wet, only dry and in tiny amounts. I love the smell too.

Crystawni
December 2nd, 2016, 06:33 PM
I'm pretty much going to write what ReadingRenee did. :cool:

I didn't even realize til just now this IS 2b to 2c thread, was thinking 2a to 2b. Didn't read it correctly. But no matter, I guess. I wanted to choose type 2a to 2c, but it was not an option.

No Lapushka, it is not enhanced, lol. Well, I don't remember where I said it but I did say it was washed as per typing instructions, but then I went jogging in the rain with it down. That may have made that big fat spiral. But I do get spirals at different places throughout just thinner ones. So I mean it was not enhanced by product or by me manipulating it......but perhaps the bouncing around in the rain?

In the avatar I had brushed with a TT.

We need a 2LOL classification! :p You and I could be hair twins. My waves and spirals are tighter in the underlayer (can be 2 S waves in the space of one of the top layer), and that can be mixed with barely waved bits on top that look like the 1 category. Moody hair, we haz it. The less I manipulate my hair from sopping wet, the coilier it is (rain and beach hair is the best, or hairtyping). As soon as it gets product to weigh it down, or wind or fingers or combs or brushes in there, it flops. I prefer my hair in its natural state, silky feel and all, so just go with the flops. :lol:

lapushka
December 3rd, 2016, 04:18 AM
We need a 2LOL classification! :p You and I could be hair twins. My waves and spirals are tighter in the underlayer (can be 2 S waves in the space of one of the top layer), and that can be mixed with barely waved bits on top that look like the 1 category. Moody hair, we haz it. The less I manipulate my hair from sopping wet, the coilier it is (rain and beach hair is the best, or hairtyping). As soon as it gets product to weigh it down, or wind or fingers or combs or brushes in there, it flops. I prefer my hair in its natural state, silky feel and all, so just go with the flops. :lol:

Yeah, they do that on "another board", don't they? ;) Personally, I think it's confusing and not such a good idea. :)

vpatt
December 3rd, 2016, 05:24 AM
I'm pretty much going to write what ReadingRenee did. :cool:

My hair is definitely crazy. And if I try to get curls they usually flop. I'm glad I'm not alone in the craziness. But moody sounds better, lol.

ReadingRenee, thank you! I love yours, too.

vpatt
December 3rd, 2016, 05:25 AM
Yeah, they do that on "another board", don't they? ;) Personally, I think it's confusing and not such a good idea. :)

I never heard of that.

see_turtle
December 3rd, 2016, 09:29 AM
I fit in here ...though I'm not sure if I'm F or M.
This pic is second day hair that I spritzed to bring out the waves.
I only use Shea Moisture the shea butter variety. I once in a while use a leave in from SM.

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz298/see_the_turtle/Hair%20progress/20161120_120946_zps037f9quw.jpg

lapushka
December 3rd, 2016, 09:40 AM
I only use Shea Moisture the shea butter variety. I once in a while use a leave in from SM.

Very pretty texture! :D

littlestarface
December 3rd, 2016, 10:50 AM

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz298/see_the_turtle/Hair%20progress/20161120_120946_zps037f9quw.jpg

Maybe F it looks like it for me anyway your strands that flyaway look fine to me. Nice waves btw I wish I had them like this.

vpatt
December 3rd, 2016, 01:08 PM
Oh, see_turtle, that is some very pretty hair!

Silverbleed
December 4th, 2016, 08:41 AM
That looks gorgeous, see_turtle! You also have a really lovely color c:

see_turtle
December 4th, 2016, 01:04 PM
That looks gorgeous, see_turtle! You also have a really lovely color c:

Thank you!

see_turtle
December 4th, 2016, 01:05 PM
Very pretty texture! :D
Thank you!

see_turtle
December 4th, 2016, 01:06 PM
Maybe F it looks like it for me anyway your strands that flyaway look fine to me. Nice waves btw I wish I had them like this.

I think I may be between because it flys away but each strand feels thick.

see_turtle
December 4th, 2016, 01:07 PM
Oh, see_turtle, that is some very pretty hair!

Thank you !:o

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 20th, 2017, 04:20 PM
Anyone else find it incredibly easy to get their hair to straighten out? When I brush and bun my hair, my waves tend to turn from this:
https://s6.postimg.org/64jgh7z8x/IMG_8918.jpg
After detangled and TT and thrown into a bun, a few hours later it looks like this:
https://s6.postimg.org/9oypbwh0x/IMG_7820.jpg
Much straighter and appears moisturized, less frizz.
https://s6.postimg.org/hsg7wh5ip/IMG_8683.jpg
I dont know, but... i like it better than how my hair looks without brushing...

Its probably really bad but I like my hair more when its been brushed out and my 2b/2c waves are gone... :shrug:

Anyone else find it easy to hide their natural texture? I do not use heat either, natural hair dried and then a bun usually flattens my texture.
I do not like braids, they accentuate the waves in a -- fake -- looking kind of way... dont like it lol

vpatt
January 20th, 2017, 06:32 PM
Anyone else find it incredibly easy to get their hair to straighten out? When I brush and bun my hair, my waves tend to turn from this:
After detangled and TT and thrown into a bun, a few hours later it looks like this:

Its probably really bad but I like my hair more when its been brushed out and my 2b/2c waves are gone... :shrug:

Anyone else find it easy to hide their natural texture? I do not use heat either, natural hair dried and then a bun usually flattens my texture.
I do not like braids, they accentuate the waves in a -- fake -- looking kind of way... dont like it lol

Mine is similar. I have to brush it because I think it looks messy, but after I brush sometimes I spritz it with water and scrunch the ends to get some of the wave back. So I have more wave that looks less messy if that makes sense.

lapushka
January 21st, 2017, 02:12 AM

Nope mine don't disappear like that, never did. If it were only that easy!

And certainly not now, mostly because I use gel and the LOC method for styling. I'm not ripping a brush through gel that's "just" been applied, no thank you. :) ;)

I like your hair more wavy, though, but that's personal preference isn't it? :flower: :o

sunflowersmiles
January 21st, 2017, 02:31 AM
Oh yay a thread for my hair type!!! I have such a hard time keeping my hair happy. I have just come to embrace my frizz because it never completely goes away.

Silverbleed
January 21st, 2017, 05:05 PM

Yeah for me it's also very easy. It's difficult on wash day though, pretty much impossible. But on the third day it's very easy. My hair also tends to get softer when more days pass. If only it was long enough and I didn't have layers I could try to put the ends in a plastic bag while showering. I want to try and see what happens. It's just too short to tie up properly.
But yeah this counts for me as well. On day three if I brush it a little and apply some oil it could easily be mistaken for 1c hair. For example this was day four hair:

http://i.imgur.com/gnVPcb0.jpg

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 21st, 2017, 05:23 PM
Yeah for me it's also very easy. It's difficult on wash day though, pretty much impossible. But on the third day it's very easy. My hair also tends to get softer when more days pass. If only it was long enough and I didn't have layers I could try to put the ends in a plastic bag while showering. I want to try and see what happens. It's just too short to tie up properly.
But yeah this counts for me as well. On day three if I brush it a little and apply some oil it could easily be mistaken for 1c hair. For example this was day four hair:

http://i.imgur.com/gnVPcb0.jpg

I do think it gets easier for me as well as days pass. Wash day isn't hard though. I bun it that day and bam, waves are gone. I just really do not like the way my hair looks when the waves and curls "clump" together, once I've brushed my hair just looks suddenly clean and not clumpy. I think wash day waves look dirtier than how my hair looks after 3 days of not washing when I've brushed... which to me, isn't good. Lol. Rather my hair not collect dirt in the clumps either, much harder to rub or pick out...

ReadingRenee
January 21st, 2017, 05:53 PM
My waves can be gotten rid of pretty easily on the third day or so if I brush my hair. Day one hair takes work to lose the waves. If I comb it with a fine tooth comb constantly as it dries, I can get it to dry pretty straight. I always seem to have a few bumps and waves in the back though. Actually the smaller waves smooth out into one or two loose waves on the bottom. I really prefer that look but it only lasts for a day or so. When I bun my hair it seems to actually increase the waves. Especially if its wet or damp. What really straightens my hair, oddly enough are double rope braids. I have no idea why.

Eta: Today I brushed out my hair on day 1 of washing after it was mostly dry and it looked like this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v51/meowmixxrr/Shelleys%20Hair/20170121_201435_zpsfj7t0nom.jpg

It looks more frizzy but I prefer it to unbrushed waves which is my signature picture.

Annalouise
January 22nd, 2017, 08:10 AM

I agree with you. I like my hair better too after brushing it out. I find it much less tangly.:)

Me also. My hair gets softer on day 2-3 after washing when I've used a bbb and the ends are detangled. Also, I would not mistake your hair for 1C... because of your halo. :D It's a give away that your hair is fine and wavy. :p

My waves can be gotten rid of pretty easily on the third day or so if I brush my hair. Day one hair takes work to lose the waves. If I comb it with a fine tooth comb constantly as it dries, I can get it to dry pretty straight. I always seem to have a few bumps and waves in the back though. Actually the smaller waves smooth out into one or two loose waves on the bottom. I really prefer that look but it only lasts for a day or so. When I bun my hair it seems to actually increase the waves. Especially if its wet or damp. What really straightens my hair, oddly enough are double rope braids. I have no idea why.

It looks more frizzy but I prefer it to unbrushed waves which is my signature picture.

I like your hair brushed as well.:) And double braids straighten my hair out also but braids come apart quickly for me and they turn into a furry mess rather quickly.:doh:

Annalouise
January 22nd, 2017, 08:18 AM
My hair brushed versus not brushed::)
Which do you guys prefer?

Sorry, that didn't work, I'll try again.

Annalouise
January 22nd, 2017, 08:30 AM
:confused:

lapushka
January 22nd, 2017, 10:15 AM
Annalouise, I like it not brushed best. Love the wave definition. :)

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 22nd, 2017, 11:14 AM
http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k614/Leisa777/05339018-0110-430e-bfa9-f33e6d6a25c6_zpsfbmvrspj.jpg (http://s1118.photobucket.com/user/Leisa777/media/05339018-0110-430e-bfa9-f33e6d6a25c6_zpsfbmvrspj.jpg.html)

http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k614/Leisa777/b8b878ed-8e44-46f5-b126-3abe1f1f6106_zpswgzmcn4f.jpg (http://s1118.photobucket.com/user/Leisa777/media/b8b878ed-8e44-46f5-b126-3abe1f1f6106_zpswgzmcn4f.jpg.html)

I actually like it not brushed! Personally for me, I think it probably has more to do with length than texture. I'm sure as my hair gets longer and such I'll be more prone to not brush out. My clumps eat away at length which is another reason why I don't like them. Lol

Kake
January 22nd, 2017, 12:32 PM
Annalouise I also prefer not brushed.

ReadingRenee
January 22nd, 2017, 01:43 PM
Annalouise, I like it both ways. :) But when my hair is as long as yours, mine has a similar wave pattern when I don't brush it. I like how it looks on you. :)

april17
January 22nd, 2017, 02:13 PM
I guess my biggest problem with this hair type is that it always looks unkempt. I get "Go brush your hair" and " Your hair would be gorgeous if you took care of it and brushed it more" comments. Brushing just makes it smooth for a few seconds. Anyone solved the messy look issue? Since brushing is such a temporary solution,, I have recently moved to combing and finger combing. Still. No solution

vpatt
January 22nd, 2017, 03:20 PM
Annalouise, I love your hair unbrushed! It looks so much like mine but I don't like mine so much. Isn't that crazy? Yours is a bit longer than mine and I keep thinking I will like mine better when it is longer. But also my wave may disappear with much growth. Who knows? What will be will be. My avatar is when I was 18 and I didn't really have wave, but I did use a hairdryer and brush it dry.

Rebeccalaurenxx
January 22nd, 2017, 05:19 PM
I guess my biggest problem with this hair type is that it always looks unkempt. I get "Go brush your hair" and " Your hair would be gorgeous if you took care of it and brushed it more" comments. Brushing just makes it smooth for a few seconds. Anyone solved the messy look issue? Since brushing is such a temporary solution,, I have recently moved to combing and finger combing. Still. No solution
This is an ever long issue, especially since our hair is fine so anything that "controls" the frizz is usually too heavy and makes me look greasy lol

pailin
January 22nd, 2017, 09:16 PM

This is pretty much me, too. It's part of why I rarely wear it down. At least now that it's long I can bun/braid it into submission. If I want it to look good down, the easiest is to braid into parandas overnight for curls, or to bun it for awhile after combing, to calm down the frizz into neat waves.

april17
January 22nd, 2017, 11:16 PM
Thanks, Rebeccalaurenxx and Pailin. At least I know I'm not alone. ;)