PDA

View Full Version : Advice for breakage

Trillium
August 1st, 2013, 02:07 AM
I made the decision a year ago to grow my hair to WL, and am currently just past CBL. Up until two-ish months ago, I didn't take very good care of my hair, and for as long as I can remember, I have had problems with breakage. My hair is relatively thick and healthy, but I have a perfect "crown" of broken hairs right where my ponytail elastic usually sits. I have to be able to wear my hair very securely up for my job (fitness coordinator/instructor), so I'm at a loss here. What can I do? :confused:
I wear standard ponytail elastics without metal, not the tiny plastic ones but the thicker ones that are covered in fabric.
Thanks for any input!

Dziip
August 1st, 2013, 04:02 AM
Hi !

Depending of your hair type, you might already be able to make pretty secure buns with one or two stick(s).
Do you think it's possible for you ?

Firefox7275
August 1st, 2013, 04:47 AM
I made the decision a year ago to grow my hair to WL, and am currently just past CBL. Up until two-ish months ago, I didn't take very good care of my hair, and for as long as I can remember, I have had problems with breakage. My hair is relatively thick and healthy, but I have a perfect "crown" of broken hairs right where my ponytail elastic usually sits. I have to be able to wear my hair very securely up for my job (fitness coordinator/instructor), so I'm at a loss here. What can I do? :confused:
I wear standard ponytail elastics without metal, not the tiny plastic ones but the thicker ones that are covered in fabric.
Thanks for any input!

I had a very similar problem for a very similar reason a couple of years ago, I had the breaks at the back and around my face from 'no snag' elastics. Once I stopped with the ponytails and started growing out the damage I also had crops of shorter hair that must have been pulled out by the roots without me realising. I redid my pony several times during a shift, sometimes on damp or wet hair which added to the damage (brushing or combing too often or vulnerable wet hair is damaging).

Could try: one or two buns secured with Spin Pins, two low ponytails to spread the load with silk scrunchies or terry towel ponios, braids of any kind secured with ribbon wraps, hair neatly off the face with fabric headbands. What stays put and feels the most gentle likely depends on your hair type, amount and length. Ideally rotate your styles so you don't stress one patch.

Surface damage can be 'patch repaired' with ingredients like hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA and panthenol and these can also penetrate if needed - by all means use silicones for 'slip' too but don't rely on them exclusively.
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2009/06/size-matters-protein-conditioning-part.html
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2009/06/protein-conditioners-for-hair-part-2-of_03.html

Coconut oil soaks on dry hair pre-wash are proven to absorb helping reduce porosity and increase elasticity, this can protect against hygral fatigue (water damage) be that frequent showers or sweat.
http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2003/cc054n02/p00175-p00192.pdf

Coolcombination
August 1st, 2013, 05:10 AM
Try French braids, they stay put for me in the gym, but I don't know whether they would be doable on your length. Or just use soft scrunchies and avoid tightening the ponytail by pulling, just redo it instead. A cinnamon bun with a scrunchies could work well and spin pins work for some people although not for me!