PDA

View Full Version : Moisture imbalance? What does my hair need?

nougat
July 31st, 2013, 10:12 PM
Over the past several weeks my hair has reached a strange state, where after I wash and condition, it never seems to fully dry. By the end of the day, it's greasy in a strange way--waxy, almost. It takes more force than usual to move the brush through it, and it feels slightly heavy. This used to happen when I would wash my hair at night and then go to bed or braid it without giving it proper time to dry, but now it seems to happen most of the time no matter what. FYI, I always wear my hair either in updos or braids, never loose.

What do I need to do? Clarify? Add protein? Natural/household (aka cheap) remedies preferred.

TheMechaGinger
July 31st, 2013, 10:27 PM
I would definitely try clarifying as a first step. If you want to go the natural route (instead of sls shampoo) you can try some baking soda to clarify with. I just mix some soda and water in my hand until it makes a paste and massage it through my hair. This can be really drying though because it's so alkaline so make sure you have some watered down vinegar to rinse your hair with afterwards. Best of luck!

Firefox7275
July 31st, 2013, 10:36 PM
That sounds like build up blocking water leaving the hair properly, I would clarify. Being alkaline baking soda is more damaging than sulphate shampoos, if you don't have a clarifying (non moisturising/ conditioning) shampoo you can use shower gel or even diluted dish soap (that is stripping tho) since both are usually based on sulphate surfactants anyway.

sisi33
August 1st, 2013, 07:48 AM
I third the clarifying suggestion. Any clarifying shampoo should do the job, so I would look for one at a dollar store, seeing as though you're only going to be using it once in a while.

nougat
August 2nd, 2013, 07:52 PM
Okay, I will try a clarifying shampoo. Should I still condition afterward? If so, should I use my usual conditioner, or should I go find a non-moisturizing one?

Thanks all for your help!

Tangle or Curl?
August 2nd, 2013, 07:58 PM
I don't understand the question. What type of conditioner would be non moisturizing?

jacqueline101
August 2nd, 2013, 09:09 PM
I would clarify sounds like product build up.

nougat
August 2nd, 2013, 11:26 PM
I don't understand the question. What type of conditioner would be non moisturizing?

Good point. So, should I condition immediately after using clarifying shampoo, or no?

Wildcat Diva
August 2nd, 2013, 11:40 PM
oh yes, otherwise it will be too dry.

Firefox7275
August 3rd, 2013, 07:32 AM
Okay, I will try a clarifying shampoo. Should I still condition afterward? If so, should I use my usual conditioner, or should I go find a non-moisturizing one?

Thanks all for your help!

There is sort of such a thing as a non moisturising conditioner since moisture = water and not all products are formulated to add or increase water: that would not contain much in the way of humectants just emollients or occlusives, but I don't see how that fits here since it's not humectants that build up. Some US citizens seem to use the words moisturising and conditioning interchangeably but they do not have the same meaning.

Perhaps you mean a less conditioning/ depositing/ heavy/ rich product? If so yes you may need to clarify more than once so no point in adding more build up in the mean time. It might also be worthwhile analysing your products for what is building up and choose something that is less likely to do so in the future. But always condition after shampooing, that resets the electrical charge and pH helping the cuticle lay flat, reduces friction so protecting the hair from combing and rubbing strand on strand.

nougat
August 4th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Hmm, that's all very interesting. Thank you.

Delila
August 4th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Just thought I'd post a link to this thread: gladtobemom's thread on buildup and chelating (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15746)

Wildcat Diva
August 4th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Great thread, it was very helpful to me.

Delila
August 4th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Great thread, it was very helpful to me.

Glad to help. Things are kind of hard to find on this new site, every little bit helps. :)