PDA

View Full Version : Looking for alcohol free and silicone free conditioner

greenwood2010
July 31st, 2013, 09:23 PM
I am looking for an alcohol and silicone free conditioner that won't dry out my hair. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Kaelee
July 31st, 2013, 10:19 PM
Toadstool Soaps on Etsy makes some nice ones. :)

Though I should point out (in case you don't know, maybe you do) some alcohols are not bad and are actually conditioning for your hair. I'm thinking of Cetyl and Stearyl alcohol, though I think there are others. They are fatty alcohols (some of our resident chemists can clarify this I'm sure.) (Actually, here is a link with the complete list: http://kinkycurlycoilyme.com/5-must-have-ingredients-you-need-in-your-hair-conditioner/. There are some to avoid, but I can't recall what they are right now.)

Natalia
July 31st, 2013, 10:22 PM
I cant be sure about alcohol free I don't have the bottle anymore but check out suave coconut. Remember not ALL alcohols are drying alcohols.

Firefox7275
August 1st, 2013, 04:59 AM
Which country are you in?

In2wishin
August 1st, 2013, 06:59 AM
As others have said, fatty alcohols can be good for the hair, short-chain ones bad, and others neutral

Neutral:

Benzyl alcohol is a non-volatile alcohol used as a preservative in products. It should not impact the texture or feel of your hair.
Propylene glycol is most often used as a humectant

Fatty Alcohols: Provide emollient effect, lubricity, emulsion stabilization (the GOOD alcohols):

Behenyl alcohol
Cetearyl alcohol
Cetyl alcohol
Isocetyl alcohol
Isostearyl alcohol
Lauryl alcohol
Myristyl alcohol
Stearyl alcohol
C30-50 Alcohols
Lanolin alcohol

Alcohols: Used as a solvent, can be drying to the hair (the BAD alcohols):

ethanol (good for fun things :toast::beerchug: )
Alcohol denat
SD alcohol
SD alcohol 40
Witch hazel
Isopropanol (aka Isopropyl alcohol, aka Rubbing Alcohol)
Propanol
Propyl alcohol

starlamelissa
August 2nd, 2013, 08:37 PM
Great post in2 wishin