PDA

View Full Version : rinse out conditioners vs leave-in conditioners

sarahthegemini
July 31st, 2013, 01:37 PM
As the title says, what do you prefer? Or do you use both? I've got a couple good conditioners that I use for CWC, so I rinse them out but I'm wondering whether the conditioner I use for my 2nd/final CO would work better as a leave-in. I don't really want to use it as a rinse out and a leave-in as I don't want to overdo it (it has protien in it)

Leeloo
July 31st, 2013, 01:43 PM
I like to use both. For my rinse out conditioner I just want something to detangle my hair. I try to do deep oil moisturizing treatments, so don’t want to add moisturizing with a rinse out.

Majormiles
July 31st, 2013, 02:20 PM
As the title says, what do you prefer? Or do you use both? I've got a couple good conditioners that I use for CWC, so I rinse them out but I'm wondering whether the conditioner I use for my 2nd/final CO would work better as a leave-in. I don't really want to use it as a rinse out and a leave-in as I don't want to overdo it (it has protien in it)

Definitely rinse out as leave in gives me spots and greasy roots!

Vivalagina
July 31st, 2013, 02:22 PM
I like rinse out conditioners. I just don't like the feel of anything in my hair after I am done washing, even conditioner. The most I'll use is a very very small amount of panacea on my ends, but I don't do that regularly.

Coolcombination
July 31st, 2013, 03:02 PM
My hair gets greasy easily so I don't use any leave ins. I have used argan oil in the past but it always seemed too greasy on my hair. If I don't wash my conditioner out, i know about it! I have to minimise greasiness as much as possible. In the house I have to keep my hair off my face otherwise ill have a breakout.

sarahthegemini
July 31st, 2013, 04:04 PM
Thanks guys! I'm always interested in other people's routines. I'm a little nervous to try a rinse out as a leave-in as I'm worried it'll leave my hair greasy but I'm gunna give it a go. I just have think that my conditioner has good ingredients and using it as a leave-in as opposed to rinsing out after a few minutes might maximise its effects.

Firefox7275
July 31st, 2013, 04:07 PM
If I had to choose I'd go for leave in, I have wavy/ curly hair so need it for clumping and frizz control. I find rinsing conditioner boring and it's not great for my dye!

Tori Angeli
July 31st, 2013, 04:12 PM
Rinse out. The only leave-in I use is AVG, which I scrunch in to keep my waves clumped together and to keep the frizz down. But I CO-wash, so the rinse-out condish is not really optional.

akilina
July 31st, 2013, 04:16 PM
Both...I pretty much require leave ins. If my hair is not silky smooth and no drizzles I'm not happy. Plus, I love the good smellies :o cones and I go hand in hand, so I definitely have no aversion to a coney leave in. I prefer a heavy rinse out conditioner, then a creamy leave in (its a ten miracle leave in with Keratin) and some days I will use the tiniest blob of chi silk infusion, or the Moroccan oil from Sally's.

kidari
July 31st, 2013, 04:21 PM
Typically I use both. In the past I have even used a rinse out conditioner followed by two separate leave-ins. Lately I've been experimenting with oiling the ends prior to washing with shampoo and skipping the rinse-out conditioner completely in favor of using only a leave-in. The reason for this is that I feel like my hair is too healthy and it likes to be stubborn and fall flat due to the heaviness. It's fluffier and less weighed down by skipping the conditioner in the shower.

faellen
July 31st, 2013, 04:41 PM
Recently, I've been using both. Like akilina, I'm not happy unless my hair is silky smooth, and using both a rinse out and a leave in conditioner pretty much guarantees that for me.

Beborani
July 31st, 2013, 04:49 PM
Leave in conditioners make my wavy/wurly longish hair wear-downable which wasnt possible before. It doesnt make it extra shiny just give me more curl definition and frizz reduction. I have read that women use the same conditioner they use for co wash as leave in and I experimented with that too--almost all conditioners applied on my dripping wet hair disappears when dry to leave me with curls. This maybe a property of wavy and curly hair though because it doesnt quite work this way on my daughter's straight, fine hair.

CurlyMopTop
July 31st, 2013, 05:09 PM
Must have both! I've tried to make due without one or the other and it just doesn't work for me. ;)

fairview
July 31st, 2013, 06:18 PM
The primary purpose of rinse outs is to assist in de-tangling the hair after shampooing. Other than that what ever they might be able to do, most of it is rinsed out. Leave-ins on the other hand do impact the appearance, moisture levels, shine, smoothness frizz, etc, etc. The problem with leave ins is that way too much is being used. Whatever you think you may need to put in, start with only 25% of that, then if you need more, use half the original amount. Leave-ins are applied to towel damp hair and then distributed with a boar bristle bristle (preferably).

Rinse-outs typically carry surfactants which is why we can successfully use them for co-washing. The surfactants help release any dirt but when applied as a leave-in these same surfactants will dry your hair out.

Firefox7275
July 31st, 2013, 06:57 PM
The primary purpose of rinse outs is to assist in de-tangling the hair after shampooing. Other than that what ever they might be able to do, most of it is rinsed out. Leave-ins on the other hand do impact the appearance, moisture levels, shine, smoothness frizz, etc, etc. The problem with leave ins is that way too much is being used. Whatever you think you may need to put in, start with only 25% of that, then if you need more, use half the original amount. Leave-ins are applied to towel damp hair and then distributed with a boar bristle bristle (preferably).

Rinse-outs typically carry surfactants which is why we can successfully use them for co-washing. The surfactants help release any dirt but when applied as a leave-in these same surfactants will dry your hair out.

I'd be interested in a link to published research showing emollients like cationic surfactants dry hair out. They are not in all wash out conditioners, some are fatty alcohols only. Many wavies and curlies find they need to use far more leave in conditioner not less to control frizz, keep hair feeling soft and silky.

Ashenputtel
August 1st, 2013, 03:52 AM
Rinse out only and only only once a month. I strech my washes and I leave my hair alone and my hair never looked better. For curly hair girls it might be ifferent though but I have straightish fine thick hair.

sarahthegemini
August 1st, 2013, 07:42 AM
Any idea how much conditioner I should use as a leave-in? I have fine, just past shoulder length hair. I know it varies from person to person but a starting point would be useful :) And is it better to put it on soaking wet or damp hair?

lapushka
August 1st, 2013, 08:30 AM
I'm a wavy, so we moisturize *a* *lot*. We do WCC, (shampoo condition condition), so an upside down CWC if you will. Then it's followed by a leave-in and some serum or a few drops of mineral oil, and a nugget of gel throughout the hair.

Firefox7275
August 1st, 2013, 09:15 AM
Any idea how much conditioner I should use as a leave-in? I have fine, just past shoulder length hair. I know it varies from person to person but a starting point would be useful :) And is it better to put it on soaking wet or damp hair?

Amount varies from person to person and from product to product, just use a little the first time and work up if you feel you need to. I get way better pouf/ fluff control with soaking wet hair even if I am wearing my hair air dried 'straight', plus the product is easier to distribute evenly. After application I squeeze out excess water, then microfibre towel turban or plop, yes a little product does go on the towel but it doesn't ruin the results. Again I would experiment with both you might prefer to apply on damp hair.

Firefox7275
August 1st, 2013, 09:16 AM
Duplicate post

Cowgirl16
August 1st, 2013, 10:10 AM
I use both...I like a good coney conditioner that I rinse out. I also apply Paul Mitchells "The Conditioner" as a leave in, with shea butter and coconut oil. :D

Lorisal
August 1st, 2013, 12:51 PM
I shampoo and condition. Then I use a moisturizing conditioner (which is in a spray bottle and diluted with water) as a leave-in conditioner.

Ravenwind
August 1st, 2013, 01:13 PM
I use rinse out conditioners, but I put a little bit of oil in my hair as a leave in conditioner if that counts :)

panffle
August 1st, 2013, 02:29 PM
I use both, rinse out mainly to detangle and leave in to keep my hair soft and less tangle prone. Works perfectly for me.

sarahthegemini
August 1st, 2013, 05:58 PM
I can't wait to experiment with conditioner as a leave-in :D

C_Bookworm
August 2nd, 2013, 01:28 AM
Both is the perfect combo for me.