PDA

View Full Version : Aussie leave on spray

ZenaZoo
July 31st, 2013, 03:52 AM
Any one used this?
Ive never used leave ins as I always think my hair will go gunky/sticky.

I need to protect my ends a bit move cause its starting to thin slightly on one side from where its been tied recently. It's just past hip. About 2-3 inches from bcl. I've had a few 1cm trims in the last month or so to level up my last remaining layer.

any thoughts?

faellen
July 31st, 2013, 06:08 AM
I've used this before, and found it good for detangling. It's pretty light and didn't leave my hair gunky or sticky. Also, it smells great!

Kaelee
July 31st, 2013, 08:17 AM
I used to like this, I think I stopped using it because I went cone free for a while and gave mine away. I didn't get gunky hair from it. I agree, great for detangling.

I prefer a creamy product that you work through with your hands...but otherwise I'd gladly keep using the Aussie.

woodswanderer
July 31st, 2013, 08:43 AM
I make my own leave-in from Aussie moist conditioner. I just pump a couple squirts into a spray bottle and thin down with water to the consistency I want. It works great for me, and allows me to use up that last little bit of conditioner in the bottle. However, I do work a small amount of coconut oil through my wet hair first before I move on to the leave in.

Firefox7275
July 31st, 2013, 08:56 AM
Most sprays are just detanglers (silicones and water) or possibly moisturisers (humectants and water), they are not true conditioners (fatty alcohols and/ or cationic surfactant base). Many wash out conditioners can be used as a leave in conditioner, either straight up on very wet hair or diluted so you might try that if you have a favourite.

I have been using leave in conditioners/ detanglers for decades: some creamy products do go sticky and 'tangly' feeling during drying, but almost all go silky and slippy again when hair is bone dry (this can be the next day even on shorter hair). The only other time I've had sticky hair is when I have overdone the application or got build up over time, these days I only use products/ ingredients that should not build up so that is not much of an issue.

For porous or damaged ends proven ingredients include hydrolysed protein, coconut oil, ceramides and panthenol - these can patch repair, penetrate and aid detangling so work well with or without silicones.

gillybeanxo3921
July 31st, 2013, 09:43 AM
I have this :) I like it alot. It makes my hair look shiny

LongCurlyTress
July 31st, 2013, 11:25 AM
Most sprays are just detanglers (silicones and water) or possibly moisturisers (humectants and water), they are not true conditioners (fatty alcohols and/ or cationic surfactant base). Many wash out conditioners can be used as a leave in conditioner, either straight up on very wet hair or diluted so you might try that if you have a favourite.

I have been using leave in conditioners/ detanglers for decades: some creamy products do go sticky and 'tangly' feeling during drying, but almost all go silky and slippy again when hair is bone dry (this can be the next day even on shorter hair). The only other time I've had sticky hair is when I have overdone the application or got build up over time, these days I only use products/ ingredients that should not build up so that is not much of an issue.

For porous or damaged ends proven ingredients include hydrolysed protein, coconut oil, ceramides and panthenol - these can patch repair, penetrate and aid detangling so work well with or without silicones.

Hi Firefox7275, Can you please share which wash out conditioners you dilute and use as a leave-in? I am desperate to find something that won't tangle in my curly hair after it dries. Thanks for your help!

LongCurlyTress
July 31st, 2013, 11:26 AM
I make my own leave-in from Aussie moist conditioner. I just pump a couple squirts into a spray bottle and thin down with water to the consistency I want. It works great for me, and allows me to use up that last little bit of conditioner in the bottle. However, I do work a small amount of coconut oil through my wet hair first before I move on to the leave in.

I am going to try this! Thanks for the suggestion!

jacqueline101
July 31st, 2013, 11:29 AM
I'm going to try it someday.

queenofheartz44
July 31st, 2013, 03:59 PM
Can you dilute your regular conditioners to make a detangling spray? It seems that it would do double duty without having to buy extras.

Firefox7275
July 31st, 2013, 08:07 PM
Hi Firefox7275, Can you please share which wash out conditioners you dilute and use as a leave-in? I am desperate to find something that won't tangle in my curly hair after it dries. Thanks for your help!

I don't personally dilute, I follow the Curly Girl method so apply to dripping wet hair which works way better for me. Not sure how much help this will be but I currently use either Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine (old silicone free/ cetyl esters free formula) OR Schwarzkopf Gliss Kur ultimate volume (much easier to get in Europe than US), was previously using Triple Nutrition (again old formula).

When I wear my hair curly I do still have some 'tangles' if I was to try to comb since I apply enough deliberately to stick my hair together but it doesn't look tangled and it's not actually a nightmare to finger comb out - tho I try not to dry detangle anymore. I use basically the same system wearing my hair air dried straight-ish, just a little less conditioner and can get a brush through no problem.

I've also used CURLS Coconut Sublime (overpriced for the basic ingredients but works), Curly Qs Milkshake (light and 'moisturising'), CURLS Milkshake (light and 'moisturising'), Komaza Care Moja (light and 'moisturising'), Crown Pride avocado detangling (too rich/ oily for me to apply enough but might well work better for someone with curlier/ drier hair). By moisturising I mean rich in humctants like aloe vera, so won't work for all dews.

Do come over to NaturallyCurly and see what some of the US citizens are using but bear in mind many don't dry brush or comb.