PDA

View Full Version : Manic Panic Raven: The Quest for Raven Hair (Pics)

Cheele
July 31st, 2013, 01:40 AM
So, I dyed my hair a little over two weeks ago with MP Raven (black). Just thought I'd share my results.

What I did:
I clarified my hair with a Suave Naturals shampoo. Let my hair dry. Mixed some of the MP with Suave Naturals Conditioner. Glooped it all over my head. Kept glooping and mixing (no idea how much conditioner to dye I used. It was probably 2 condish to every 1 part dye) until I felt that my hair was well saturated. I used the whole jar. I probably didn't need too. But I like to make sure that I'm not missing any spots since I'm rather impatient and didn't carefully go section by section.
18 hours later...
I went outside and immediately did an ACV rinse. Then I hosed (most of) the dye out. Went to the shower and finished off the rest of the rinsing. I am pleased to say that my shower is not black (or green as it turns out).

And now the pics. The befores (left) are right before the glooping and the afters (right) are right after my hair dried from being rinsed.

Roots.
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af104/callielallie/together_zps9b79e611.jpg (http://s998.photobucket.com/user/callielallie/media/together_zps9b79e611.jpg.html)

You can see my natural hair color is a light brown with some red. And then you can see the non-virgin box dye line. Look to the right at the after and you can now see (along with my creepy scalp) that my virgin roots are green (and greener by the day). The non-virgin hair however, is a lovely black.

Length:
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af104/callielallie/togetherlength_zps52bcb2a8.jpg (http://s998.photobucket.com/user/callielallie/media/togetherlength_zps52bcb2a8.jpg.html)

My all different shades of reddish-brownish faded hair.. when I've only ever dyed my hair black :confused:. Anyway, the length came out to be just the color I wanted! This picture also shows well the horrible chunk for bangs that I'm growing out :).

My overall experience and feelings:
My purpose of trying this was to seek out the healthiest and easiest way to get the lovely black hair that I want. Yes, my hair is black.. but only the already damaged parts.. The non-damaged parts are green. It wasn't a horrible experience. It's just not doing what I'm looking for, so I will not being doing this again.

What's next for me?
I either woman-up and do some henndigo or I just grab some light developer and whatever demi color I need.

There it is.

If anyone is interested in what my hair looks like "today" (after about 2 non-sulfate washes, 1 sulfate wash, and 4 CO washes), let me know and I'll post an update picture :).

Thanks for reading!

****BREAKING UPDATE NEWS! 8/09/13

My roots are still green!

:D

It's less green than in the picture above.. but still green. Light green (just like that crayon) on my blonde baby hairs, and just sort of a murky brownish green on my roots.

I believe (or I would like to believe) that it's only very noticeable in under light. But still every acquaintance I see that hasn't already seen me since the incident, looks and me, cocks his or her head and asks "Did you dye your hair green?"

But it's liveable. Pic soon.

amanda_the_tall
July 31st, 2013, 01:51 AM
Could you not go over the non-virgin parts with the straight Manic Panic dye? That way it won't be as diluted and it'd give you a pure black color? I'd be wary of henndigo, because the indigo seems to fade for some people, and it'd still leave you with the red underneath, plus you *might* not be able to bleach over it if you ever decide to go lighter or anything until it's grown out... or so I've heard.

sisi33
July 31st, 2013, 07:24 AM
That's very interesting that your virgin hair came out green. Next time, I would try out the 2-step henndigo, as it seems to be the surest way of getting truly black hair. (Have you checked out the henndigo threads?) But I'm reaaally curious over what happened with your new growth!

Anje
July 31st, 2013, 08:53 AM
I agree -- Don't decide that the Manic Panic doesn't dye well enough when you've been using it diluted. Use it straight, and/or consider trying a dye like Special Effects, which is supposed to stick better than MP by most accounts.

Henna + Indigo might be a good option, but I'd say only if you're firmly decided that you want black hair for many years to come. It can fade (usually on the people who don't want it to), but you can't really remove it if you decide you want to go back to lighter hair. Think about it for a while.

Anywhere
July 31st, 2013, 08:59 AM
I would say using it undiluted would have been better, BUT I also used MP's raven dye this year and while it turned a lovely black it faded to a greenish color after I believe one or two washes, and then stayed faintly green (people pointed it out so it was a bit noticable) for a month or two until I finally hennaed over it.

Cheele
August 5th, 2013, 12:02 AM
Thanks for your input everyone. I still don't think I'll be trying it again -- even undiluted. I prefer a reddish soft black and I can see that the Manic Panic leads with green (duh I should have known that, heh). That's also the biggest hesitation I have with the indigo as well. Along with the fact that for the first time in a long time I'm itching for some bleached ends. I think I'm just going to pick up some 10 vol developer and demi-permanent color next time I'm around Sally's.

I just thought I'd share my story with anyone who was curious.. because I know that I scoured the web looking for something like it before I bought my jar... And the results were very poor.

luxepiggy
August 5th, 2013, 02:08 AM
Sorry to read that it didn't work out for you! I agree most black deposit-dyes seem to have unfortunate green undertones. That was an issue I encountered as well whilst on my own quest for blue-black hair.

Good luck in your continued search (^(oo)^)v

ETA: I have bleached ends and I love them! It is such a great way to get a pop of fun colour without damaging the whole length :D

Miasen
August 5th, 2013, 05:00 AM
Yeah, black MP left my hair green too. And I didn't dilute it at all. Blue MP(or maybe it was Directions?) faded to green too... Seems green is a stubborn colour!

Pigfarts
August 5th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Why don't you try dying your hair with a dark purple or red to counteract the green? Color theory and all of that.

I've heard some really good things about Nice and Easy's natural black if you want to try that.

Kittney
August 5th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Um, question...could anyone tell me the ratio of 10 developer to manic panic that one would use? It will be for medium brown hair not my blonde if that matters. Thank you!

luxepiggy
August 5th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Um, question...could anyone tell me the ratio of 10 developer to manic panic that one would use? It will be for medium brown hair not my blonde if that matters. Thank you!

Do NOT use developer with Manic Panic! It is a deposit-only dye and is not at all designed for use with developer!

Kittney
August 5th, 2013, 06:04 PM
Do NOT use developer with Manic Panic! It is a deposit-only dye and is not at all designed for use with developer!
I must have been confused, I appreciate the quick response ;]

SerinaDaith
August 5th, 2013, 07:12 PM
Whew yes NO developer. My avatar pic has the hot hot pink on my "bangs" only so the rest of my head is au natural I shampooed left it to dry then sectioned out what I wanted to dye, followed the web sites directions for unbleached hair.Manic Panic is a direct deposit/conditioning treatment in it's own right so no need to mix it with anything!

lillyofthecelts
October 29th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Hi there. I'm sorry I am posting this a few months later, but I have had the same experience of MP Raven turning my hair green. I was an avid user of MP Raven a few years ago, and it was always black with wonderful red undertones. In the past years I have used Raven on virgin hair, bleached hair, and hennindigo hair, and it always came out great.
Yesterday, however, I used it over my hennindigo hair for the first time in years and my virgin roots are the expected black with red undertones, but my hennindigo length is black with vivid green tones. My hair literally glows green in the sunlight, which is not good because I work in a hospital! I have emailed Manic Panic to ask if their formula has changed because I read alot of bad reviews after I dyed my hair about how their formula changed and it is now turning everyone's hair green.
I hope more people read this before using Raven, because it seems as though we are not the only ones getting unpredictable two-toned swamp hair!

stardust lady
January 3rd, 2022, 05:27 PM
I am reviving this thread because I currently have very hennaed hair and have recently decided I am done (for now) with red/orange hair.

Does anyone have experience with MP Raven as of late? It's been almost a decade so I'm hopeful that the formula is better now. Since my hair is already very orange/red, I'm hoping that any greenness would help neutralize the color. Also wondering if after a wash or two it would become apparent, if I do grow out my virgin roots, that there is a line of demarcation from the henna? Anyone ever done this before?

Bat
January 4th, 2022, 12:05 AM
I am reviving this thread because I currently have very hennaed hair and have recently decided I am done (for now) with red/orange hair.

Does anyone have experience with MP Raven as of late? It's been almost a decade so I'm hopeful that the formula is better now. Since my hair is already very orange/red, I'm hoping that any greenness would help neutralize the color. Also wondering if after a wash or two it would become apparent, if I do grow out my virgin roots, that there is a line of demarcation from the henna? Anyone ever done this before?

I still hear it fades to an ugly green color, you'd be best to box dye, the 28 days type with no amonia it black if you are after black and just do the roots OR you can do henndigo if you are after black that is

DropStitches
January 4th, 2022, 01:20 AM

I’ve never used Raven, but I wanted to chip in to say that green tones from deposit only dyes can be very persistent. I used a few different MP blues back in my rainbow hair days, and any green in them seemed to permanently stain my hair - like, I’d find hairs that had been through the washing machine on 95 degrees, and were still green! That was over bleached hair, mind you, so perhaps hair that hasn’t been bleached would soak it up less thirstily. I guess you could strand test/collect a bunch of shed hairs to experiment on!

Bat
January 4th, 2022, 05:23 AM
manic panic doesn't stick to my virgin hair either so it could either fade quickly or just tint it darker

stardust lady
January 6th, 2022, 02:38 AM
Hmm.. well that is discouraging. I'm going to try this Keracolor Onyx shade that supposedly washes out very quickly. Didn't see reports of it turning green. Worst case scenario, I'll be dying over all this henna anyways. Mostly I want to see what shade of dark hair I suite (if any). Plus since my hair is so red/orange, green might actually be a good thing to sort of "tone" it.

Bat
January 6th, 2022, 09:13 AM
Hmm.. well that is discouraging. I'm going to try this Keracolor Onyx shade that supposedly washes out very quickly. Didn't see reports of it turning green. Worst case scenario, I'll be dying over all this henna anyways. Mostly I want to see what shade of dark hair I suite (if any). Plus since my hair is so red/orange, green might actually be a good thing to sort of "tone" it.

Good luck! I hope it works

stardust lady
January 6th, 2022, 01:00 PM
Good luck! I hope it works

Thank you so much! Fingers crossed.

Bat
January 6th, 2022, 07:37 PM
Keep us posted:D

stardust lady
January 7th, 2022, 01:04 PM
Did a little strand test behind my ear on dry hair (which supposedly gives more intense results). Color didn't change at all and it made my scalp burn. Swing and a miss.

Bat
January 7th, 2022, 02:22 PM
Did a little strand test behind my ear on dry hair (which supposedly gives more intense results). Color didn't change at all and it made my scalp burn. Swing and a miss.

The only way really to get black to stick is if you box dye but then you are stuck with it if you don't like it

DropStitches
January 7th, 2022, 03:18 PM
A while ago, I got a nice deep brown from henndigo (I used Caca Noir from Lush), and I know it’s possible to go darker with a two step henna+indigo process - but again, if you don’t like it, it’s permanent! I’ve also heard of people toning down the red of henna with amla, but I’ve never investigated that properly.

Your natural colour is fairly light, right? Your regrowth might be quite a dramatic contrast if you go really dark! It’s funny, the colour you can get with henna on your hair is the colour I dearly wish my hair would go with henna - I guess the grass is always greener (redder?!)

WinterMayhem
January 7th, 2022, 03:21 PM
I was wondering whether or not Raven was a blue, violet or green based black recently. I'm looking for blue and/or violet-based blacks, and was considering mixing the Raven with blue, and another Raven with one of the purples. Not if Raven has a green base, though.

Thank you!

stardust lady
January 7th, 2022, 03:40 PM
The only way really to get black to stick is if you box dye but then you are stuck with it if you don't like it

I've decided to just try on some temporary spray-in, wash-out colors to test the waters. I think that should give me a good idea before I waste too much time thinking about all this.

A while ago, I got a nice deep brown from henndigo (I used Caca Noir from Lush), and I know it’s possible to go darker with a two step henna+indigo process - but again, if you don’t like it, it’s permanent! I’ve also heard of people toning down the red of henna with amla, but I’ve never investigated that properly.

Your natural colour is fairly light, right? Your regrowth might be quite a dramatic contrast if you go really dark! It’s funny, the colour you can get with henna on your hair is the colour I dearly wish my hair would go with henna - I guess the grass is always greener (redder?!)

Yeah I'm thinking a henndigo might be a good option. I'd like to stick with the plant stuff if I could, though I do like the fact that I have more flexibility right now with henna (I could bleach it to strawberry blonde, I could go medium brown, dark brown, darker Auburn, black, etc) but if I get on the indigo train, I might get stuck with a very dark color for years to come (at least 2 years to grow out to where I am now). The root situation is also a big concern. Henndigo with 75% indigo could possibly work since my natural color has a good deal of warmth, and that could possibly give me a satisfyingly deep color without being too stark against pale skin.

Haha I would trade hair with you in a heartbeat. I objectively think henna red is really pretty, but my hair doesn't quite do what I'd like it to do with henna. It turns a weird browny orangey Auburn that isn't very flattering and makes my face look funny. It looks pretty on camera in the sunshine and that's about it. Plus orange hair makes my skin look weird since I'm super pink and cool toned. Not to mention I sometimes feel like a poser with fake red hair, although my natural is fairly reddish, I still feel like my hair looks like a poor attempt to look natural. Even though I was going for bright unnatural cool red, I just couldn't seem to attain it with multiple apps. Just kept getting more orangey.

I was wondering whether or not Raven was a blue, violet or green based black recently. I'm looking for blue and/or violet-based blacks, and was considering mixing the Raven with blue, and another Raven with one of the purples. Not if Raven has a green base, though.

Thank you!

Yeah I'm fairly sure it's a green base, considering most people complain it fades to green. At least Manic Panics is. I think Arctic Fox may be violet based? Might want to check that out and read reviews.

Bat
January 7th, 2022, 11:07 PM
I've decided to just try on some temporary spray-in, wash-out colors to test the waters. I think that should give me a good idea before I waste too much time thinking about all this.

Yeah I'm thinking a henndigo might be a good option. I'd like to stick with the plant stuff if I could, though I do like the fact that I have more flexibility right now with henna (I could bleach it to strawberry blonde, I could go medium brown, dark brown, darker Auburn, black, etc) but if I get on the indigo train, I might get stuck with a very dark color for years to come (at least 2 years to grow out to where I am now). The root situation is also a big concern. Henndigo with 75% indigo could possibly work since my natural color has a good deal of warmth, and that could possibly give me a satisfyingly deep color without being too stark against pale skin.

Haha I would trade hair with you in a heartbeat. I objectively think henna red is really pretty, but my hair doesn't quite do what I'd like it to do with henna. It turns a weird browny orangey Auburn that isn't very flattering and makes my face look funny. It looks pretty on camera in the sunshine and that's about it. Plus orange hair makes my skin look weird since I'm super pink and cool toned. Not to mention I sometimes feel like a poser with fake red hair, although my natural is fairly reddish, I still feel like my hair looks like a poor attempt to look natural. Even though I was going for bright unnatural cool red, I just couldn't seem to attain it with multiple apps. Just kept getting more orangey.

Yeah I'm fairly sure it's a green base, considering most people complain it fades to green. At least Manic Panics is. I think Arctic Fox may be violet based? Might want to check that out and read reviews.

Talk to tatau if you want henndigo black, she's naturally a blondy brown

WinterMayhem
January 8th, 2022, 01:18 PM
I was wondering about Arctic Fox. I must be asking Google the wrong questions, because I'm not getting any helpful hits. Thanks again!