PDA

View Full Version : What is the best deep conditioning treatment?

sabrinaclrke
July 30th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Hi! I'm new :).
I was wondering what your favorite deep conditioner is, whether it be homemade or store bought. Also, how long do you leave it on for ?

Thanks!
(by the way, I'm sorry if there is another thread like this... I couldn't find it ! :()

Leeloo
July 30th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Welcome! I like to use coconut and avocado oil (50/50). I put them on for an hour before wash and wear a heat cap. Then wash.

Tori Angeli
July 30th, 2013, 11:22 AM
I love me some coconut oil, or sweet almond oil. Finger-comb it in till my hair looks greasy, leave in for an hour, co-wash out.

Bellechevelure
July 30th, 2013, 12:12 PM
For my is a pre-wash with coconut oil or olive oil and I leave it overnight. And my favorite store hair mask is renewing moroccan argan oil or nourishing coconut milk by Organix. You can find them in drug store or walmart and they are not to expensive. I let them 15 min, sometimes more, sometimes less. :)

Bellechevelure
July 30th, 2013, 12:22 PM
For my is a pre-wash with coconut oil or olive oil and I leave it overnight. And my favorite store hair mask is renewing moroccan argan oil or nourishing coconut milk by Organix. You can find them in drug store or walmart and they are not to expensive. I let them 15 min, sometimes more, sometimes less. :)

oatmealpie
July 30th, 2013, 12:24 PM
I've tried coconut oil, sweet almond oil, Snowymoon's Moisturizing Treatment (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128), and SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=413995&catid=183414&aid=338666&aparam=goobase_filler&device=c&network=g&matchtype=).

My favorite is the coconut oil. I section off my hair and apply it starting at the tips and working my way up to the roots. I massage it into my roots, then leave it in overnight. In the morning if I have time I'll apply a cheap cone-free conditioner like Suave Naturals and leave it in under a shower cap for half an hour before washing out.

Warda
July 30th, 2013, 12:29 PM
Welcome! My favourite deep conditioning currently is coconut oil. I put it on dry hair and leave it in from a few hours to over night then CWC it out. My hair loves it. I would also recomend almond oil and olive oil. I have found almond oil to be very good. I actually have a bit on my hair right now.

I cant really recommend any store bought though as I am still experimenting with that. I find it diffucult to find a good cone free one. But I tried mixing my normal conditioner with honey and it was AMAZING. I really loved it. I originaly wanted 1 part honey to 4 parts contitioner but I ended up adding a bit more honey beause it was too runny. Anyway I put it on dry hair and left it for about 2 hours then washed it off. My hair was lovely. It was so moisutized.

I hope you find something that works well, good luck :)

DarkCurls
July 30th, 2013, 12:31 PM
I'm going to be very unoriginal and also vote for coconut oil as a prewash. I apply it to dry hair, little by little (teaspoon amounts) until the hair looks greasy. I usually do it the night before a wash and leave it on overnight, but sometimes I leave it on for a couple hours and wash it out the same day. I might re-apply some during the day if I find it soaks in well enough, and then I wash it out using my regular wash method (co-washing). I've never had trouble washing coconut oil out.

I've never noticed anything amazing using store-bought or salon-bought masks. When I use them, it's usually as regular conditioner (sometimes even a co-wash), because I don't see any results either way.

Hootenanny
July 30th, 2013, 12:46 PM
I make a mix of Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm, coconut oil, honey, and a little Colorful Neutral Protein Filler (my hair loves protein), plus a dash of ACV or lemon juice for pH balancing. Coat all my hair and leave it on for a few hours with a heat cap, or up to overnight without the heat cap. Works great!

door72067
July 30th, 2013, 12:57 PM
lately, I've been using Aussie 3-minute Miracle...my hair goes through phases of liking/hating it...I leave it on for as long as I'm in the shower

sometimes I use baby oil and that's usually a *put it in in the morning/wash it out at night* thing...makes my hair nice and soft/shiny

kittenface
July 30th, 2013, 02:02 PM
If you want a commercial product, right now I'm kind of loving The Body Shop's "hair butter" from their "Rainforest Moisture" line (that one is meant for dry hair, I guess, they have a few different ones). If I'm going somewhere I just leave it in while I shave my legs or whatever and then rinse, otherwise I totally just leave it in all day/overnight :cool:

sabrinaclrke
July 30th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Thanks so much everyone! I think I'm going to try SMT. :)

ladylowtide
July 30th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Shea moisture deep treatment, great by itself. I apply to clean we ends, or if your more adventurous... do like I do and cut 3 1000mg fish oil caspules in half and stir in, along with a table spoon of olive oil, spoon of peanut better, and a dollop of honey. Never had shinier hair in my life, haven't done a deep treatment in 2 weeks still loving it.

jacqueline101
July 30th, 2013, 03:41 PM
I like the three minute miracle by Aussie.

SerinaDaith
July 30th, 2013, 03:46 PM
I like coconut oil, pretty much all the time, I warm it for about thirty seconds in the microwave if it is not liquid, add a few drops of whatever eo I am liking then soak my hair in it section by section. I leave it sit as long as I can then rince scalp wash with non sulfate shampoo and condition, rince that out and turby towel for a bit then I add just a little to my length and finger comb. That's pretty much my all winter thing. Summer time I skip the second oiling and just use a tiny bit of whatever conditoner I am using as a leave in. Other than that my hair justhas not needed anything more. If I am thinking about it I'll sometimes do a little honey but not often.

sabrinaclrke
July 30th, 2013, 04:25 PM
just mixed up a combination of ideas. I smashed up an overly ripe bannana, ad ded a tiny bit of olive oil, plus the oil from 2 fish oil pills. I also added an egg yolk and 2 tbs of honey.
Do you think this sounds good or a disaster?
Also, I was wondering why no one uses banana? I read somewhere it was good for hair.

oatmealpie
July 30th, 2013, 04:55 PM
It looks like bananas are difficult to wash out of your hair: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=77960

Buddaphlyy
July 30th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Silk Elements Moisturizing treatment with honey and oil. Best. Stuff. Ever. I usually use it after shampooing and let it sit on under a shower cap for 30 minutes.

Firefox7275
July 30th, 2013, 05:59 PM
Why are people using fish oils, whole bananas and peanut butter on hair? Wouldn't that make your head stink or sticky?

Polyunsaturated fatty acids cannot penetrate, the useful components of fruit (sugar) and nuts (oils) are partially locked up inside the cells walls. Ingredients that can penetrate include any oils rich in lauric acid (coconut, palm kernel, babassu oils), oleic acid (olive, avocado, sweet almond oils), hydrolysed proteins (gelatin is, egg proteins are too large), ceramides and panthenol.

I do various treatments - coconut oil with or without sugar syrup (humectant same as honey), Komaza Care protein strengthener, Hairveda Sitrinillah, Crown Pride Tucuma butter mask with or without sugar syrup, Curl Harmony intensive repair conditioner.

Bellechevelure
July 30th, 2013, 06:57 PM
I never have trouble with banana. In fact, my hair loves that. But my hair love almost everything...

LadyCelestina
July 31st, 2013, 03:12 AM
SMT with loads of oil or henna.I don't use henna now,but it was so far the best thing I used on my hair,well minus the colour. I'm thinking about trying out cassia.

Rosethorn
July 31st, 2013, 03:48 AM
Another coconut oil fan here. This stuff is also awesome: http://www.amazon.com/Oreal-Natures-Therapy-Moisture-Nurturing/dp/B000CPIMNA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1375263919&sr=8-4&keywords=l%27oreal+naturals+deep+conditioner

Wasy
July 31st, 2013, 05:08 AM
i use lots of different ones but my two favourites are plain old coconut oil, and Aussie 3 minute miracle reconstructor. I leave them on for hours at a time, sometimes overnight :)

Killahkurlz
July 31st, 2013, 05:11 AM
I like using coconut oil and honey mixed together! I leave it n usually for an unestimated long time. at least an hour

FuzzyBlackWaves
July 31st, 2013, 09:53 AM
Coconut oil is amazing for me, and I also love v05's 'treat me right' deep conditioner.

meteor
July 31st, 2013, 10:59 AM
1) Simple oil mixes: EVOO, avocado oil, shea butter...
2) Oil + humectant + conditioner mixes: SMT + oil
3) Favourite commercial deep treatment: Vatika coconut oil (coconut oil + herbal extracts)

sarahthegemini
July 31st, 2013, 11:03 AM
I love heavy overnight oilings with EVOO. On damp hair. I then CWC it out the following day and my hair has incredible shine. I also like doing SMT's (although I usually substitute the aloe vera gel for oil)

Vivalagina
July 31st, 2013, 12:02 PM
I dry oil my hair from the ears with cocoveda hair oil (hennasooq's coconut + herbs oil, my hair likes it better than straight coconut oil) the night before I wash. I use maybe a teaspoon or so. The next morning I put some protein-free VO5 conditioner on my dry hair and let it soak in for about 30 minutes before jumping in the shower. Leaves my hair soft but not weighed down.

LongCurlyTress
July 31st, 2013, 12:13 PM
I am also a big fan of coconut oil, unrefined virgin- a large tub from Costco costs only $22 that will last at least 2 years or more! A trick to using it, at least in the summer months when it is liquidy is to use a teaspoon and dribble it onto a boar bristle brush. Then brush it through your hair, chin level through to the ends. This gets it through and coats each hair shaft alot more thoroughly. Braid hair and sleep. Then co-wash it out in the morning. :)