PDA

View Full Version : Hair compliment from a stranger!

farmlass
July 30th, 2013, 08:40 AM
I just had my first ever hair-related compliment from a total stranger today :D Friends and family are always complimenting/commenting on my hair, but it was even better from some random person! I was waiting for my prescription to be filled at my doctor's surgery, and an older lady sat beside and said my hair was so long, it was beautiful. She said it was nice to see long hair in this day and age, and started asking how long it took to dry etc. It's a bit sad there aren't more people with really long hair :( What was your most recent hair compliment?

faellen
July 30th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Oh that's so sweet :) How nice of that lady!

My most recent compliment was from the nurses at my last placement. One nurse wanted to know how I used spin pins to bun my hair, as she wanted to try them out on her daughter (she herself had a pixie cut). So I took the pins out, as as my hair came down they said "oh, isn't it lovely, so shiny, I didn't realise it was that long" etc. I felt pretty good for the rest of the day :D

Arien
July 30th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Awww both of those stories are lovely :). I think a lot of people admire long hair.. I compliment people on their hair all the time. I am always pointing out people with long hair too. Ooo Ooo! Look how long that girl's hair is! Isn't it beautiful! I'm like a long hair spotter lol. I had a field day at Berkeley Skirmish! Male or female.. It's always nice to see someone with beautiful long hair! :).

embee
July 30th, 2013, 11:29 AM
I was paying for a purchase - and wearing my usual go-to bun. And the lady behind me in line said "Oh, your bun is beautiful!" Since I have thin fine hair so the bun is small I was greatly pleased.

It sure feels good coming from strangers. :)

Doreen
July 30th, 2013, 11:53 AM
A girl in the elevator a couple weeks ago said "How is it even possible for your hair to be so long and still healthy?" and it made me really, really happy especially because I don't consider the ends of my hair to be (or to look) all that healthy at all.

vindo
July 30th, 2013, 01:27 PM
I haven't gotten any in a long time, I don't remember the most recent IRL comment :lol: But that is very nice of that lady.

Leeloo
July 30th, 2013, 01:31 PM
It always is so nice to get a random complement on your hair, isn’t it? My recent complement was at work from someone I do not talk to very often. She complimented my side French braid to flower bun hair style. It made my day.

DancingQueen
July 30th, 2013, 01:54 PM
My great grandmother (95 - soon 96) complemented my hairstyle on my fathers birthday a few days ago. I had been working all day, but the guests were still there when I arrived. She didn't say it directly to me, but my mother told me afterwards. It made my day, since I felt it was looking awful - It hadn't been washed for 4 days, and the humidity made it go even more crazy. It is not exactly from a stranger, but it was the first compliment I got in a long time. :)

hellucy
July 30th, 2013, 02:08 PM
I work with a young autistic boy, myself and his other teaching assistant were working on his noticing and social skills with him, we were each telling things we knew or had observed about each other and apparently Miss W (me) always likes to wear her hair in a lovely updo with different sticks. This really made my day, not from a stranger but definately not an expected compliment/comment.

jacqueline101
July 30th, 2013, 03:43 PM
My most recent compliment is when my neighbor said my hair looks longer.

farmlass
July 31st, 2013, 03:03 AM
Aww Dancingqueen and hellucy, that's sweet!!

lunalocks
July 31st, 2013, 08:44 AM
Last weekend at my college reunion one of my ex classmates commented that she really liked my bun I can hold it up with with "a stick thing") (it was really a fork, but I was pleased).

browneyedsusan
July 31st, 2013, 05:49 PM
What a great idea for a thread!

Mine isn't recent or from a stranger, but it's funny: A lady at church asked if I'd gotten extensions, because my hair was so long! (I usually wear it up for church, but that day it was down.) I just laughed and told her "no, it's attached." She couldn't believe how fast it had grown!

LornaDoone
July 31st, 2013, 10:58 PM
Strangers comment on my hair fairly often. Usually to ask if it is all mine or is it extensions. I choose to take these as compliments :)

The most memorable comment from a stranger was several years ago (my hair was around waist length back then). I was sitting on a bench on campus when a man walked up to me and said "Your hair is absolutely beautiful, don't ever cut it." Then he walked away before I could even respond!

Kaelee
July 31st, 2013, 11:01 PM
I was in the hair care aisle trying to pick out a new conditioner and someone came up behind me and said "You're hair is beautiful! So shiny!" :D

HumanBean
August 1st, 2013, 08:25 PM
Walking to my car leaving work today passing a woman in her late 50s, walking her dog....my MBL hair was loose and crimped from sleeping in small braids last night (I was going for a Stevie Nicks thing today), and the stranger gave out a small gasp as she approached, caught my eye and said, "You have the most beautiful head of hair!"

MadameV
August 1st, 2013, 08:38 PM
I had my hair in two Dutch braids when I took my daughter to swim class today. When I sat down next to the only other mother she immediately asked if I braid my own hair, and when I said yes she said she wished she could braid so well. I told her it was just a matter of practice, but made me feel a lot better about my wispies, that's for sure.

pili
August 1st, 2013, 09:10 PM
LornaDoone: I've had that happen to me too!

mary*rose
August 1st, 2013, 09:21 PM
This afternoon, one of my managers was amazed at how long and shiny my hair is, even though it was up. In school, I also got a lot of compliments from people on my updos. It's always nice :)

BlazingHeart
August 2nd, 2013, 12:56 AM
I've been in and out of a lot of doctor's offices lately (bleh, health stuff), and it seems like I constantly get comments on my length, and occasionally on thickness and condition. The physician's assistant at one of the offices I have to go to regularly sometimes asks me to un-bun my hair so she can see how long it's gotten, and she's always impressed by it. I'm usually admiring her hair, too - she's mixed race and wears her hair naturally, and I just think that her twists and afro-puffs and so on look so awesome. It makes me so sad to contrast to people who highly process their hair to straighten it- I mean, I know, it's their choice, and I support people having choices in hair, but kinky-curly hair can look so damn awesome naturally!

neko_kawaii
August 2nd, 2013, 04:20 PM
I had my damp hair down one morning on the walk to the bus station so that it could dry a bit more before I put it up. I passed a gentleman sweeping the sidewalk and we exchanged "good mornings" and then he said, "I don't often see hair that long anymore." To which I replied, "Really? I see hair about this long quite a bit. Though most people wear it up and it is hard to guess length from a bun." He thought about that for a moment and said, "True, it would be hot in the summer especially." "Have a nice day!." "Have a nice day."

xohbihitztix
August 2nd, 2013, 06:01 PM
I haven't gotten any compliments from strangers yet since my hair is just "average joe" APL. Nothing too spectacular, other than it's sun bleached and I'm starting to look like a toe head. I Skype'd with my mom and sister and they told me how much longer and lighter my hair is since they last saw me. I can't wait until my hair attracts random people who creepily want to touch it! :crazyq:

cmdinoto
August 2nd, 2013, 06:27 PM
I always find time to compliment people on their long hair. I saw one person waiting on a line for a concert and she had the most gorgeous knee length hair. I told her that her hair was amazing and beautiful. She was probably in her 40's and her hair look so youthful and shiny. I know that I like getting compliments about my hair so make sure you tell someone that you like their hair. It just might make their day! :eek: