PDA

View Full Version : Amazing what a bit of neglect will do

fungo
July 30th, 2013, 06:06 AM
I have been really I'll with food poisoning and apart from having a warm bath too ease my stomach pain, I haven't done anything with my hair. It was washed on Thursday of last week and has been neglected ever since, no washing, no brushing just tied up.

I plan to wash it today as I am feeling better and it actually looks the best it has in a long time. I stopped using any dye with peroxide over a year ago and only use colour deposit dye, but I have been known to over wash my hair.

It doesn't even look greasy, it reminds me of what my hair was like when I was young. My mum insisted I only wash it once a week to preserve the natural oils. I used a very basic shampoo and we never used conditioner, but my hair was always shiny and healthy.

So I am going to try the less is more approach :)

10000days
July 30th, 2013, 06:28 AM
Sounds good! I'm doing a similar thing this week since last week I seriously over-shampood and my hair was forming dreadlocks all on its own! So I freaked out and stopped doing anything to it but keeping it in braids. It's already looking better.
So I'm totally joining you in the less is more approach :)

Firefox7275
July 30th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Maybe you don't like how the anionic surfactants in commercial shampoo alter the charge on your hair? This effect is more pronounced in chemical treated hair than virgin because the chemicals have already damaged the protective surface layer of hair. I was interested to see over on the LHC Facebook group how many people feel their hair looks best after wash day not on it. Mine used to be like that until I switched to the Curly Girl method (conditioner only washing, richer leave in conditioners, no brushing).
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-porosity-and-curly-hair?page=4
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/mineral-oil-versus-coconut-oil-which-is-better

chen bao jun
July 30th, 2013, 09:03 AM
I've always washed my hair 1x per week. That is, every 5-7 days. I know nothing about how other hairtypes react but I know curly hair is dry and washing it too much makes it way drier, even if it is CO washing. Mine will dry out to the point that it gets brittle if I overwash, especially with sulphate shampoo.

starlamelissa
July 30th, 2013, 11:30 AM
our hair types must be different, because a daily wash (something new Im doing, its been about 2 months now) has been beneficial for moisture retention and increased hair growth. I think a cleaner scalp has equaled faster growing hair for me. and its prettty long to begin with. I am washing my hair like a trichologist on youtube recommended (simple basic no frills shampoo, parting my hair, really massaging my scalp skin, and rinsing throughly with lukewarm high pressure water.) I detangle with quite a bit of conditioner, covering my whole length, and apply a few drops of mineral oil once ive squeezed out my hair.

PetuniaBlossom
July 30th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Before joining LHC I washed my hair every two or three days. Now, thanks to all the changes in my hair care regimen, I'm averaging every 4 or 5 days, sometimes even 6. I was really impressed by the LHC advice to treat hair like a valuable, fragile antique lace tablecloth. So stretching washes is something I'm really committed to.

Elecita
July 30th, 2013, 12:25 PM
I love stretching washes and benign neglect, too! Living alone and being on holiday means I can sometimes spend entire weeks with oils and other stuff in my hair, if I don't have to go out or see someone. My hair is pretty greasy at the scalp, so most of the time I just wash my straight-across bangs and leave the rest alone.

Leeloo
July 30th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Before LHC I washed my hair everyday and now I’m trying to stretch out the days before washing. So far I’m to every other day. Guess it’ll take a while to get to once a week.

fungo
July 30th, 2013, 01:39 PM
I had planned to wash my hair today but was dizzy, so decided against it. Looks like I might make it to a week, if I feel better I will take photos.

10000days
July 30th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Maybe you don't like how the anionic surfactants in commercial shampoo alter the charge on your hair? This effect is more pronounced in chemical treated hair than virgin because the chemicals have already damaged the protective surface layer of hair. I was interested to see over on the LHC Facebook group how many people feel their hair looks best after wash day not on it. Mine used to be like that until I switched to the Curly Girl method (conditioner only washing, richer leave in conditioners, no brushing).
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/curlchemist-porosity-and-curly-hair?page=4
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/mineral-oil-versus-coconut-oil-which-is-better

This is interesting. I'm not up on the science though... Do you have a lay way of explaining that? :o
I will definitely check out those links- thanks!

ExpectoPatronum
July 30th, 2013, 05:30 PM
I'm getting an ingrown toenail removed in a bit and so probably won't be able to shower with the bandages...Hopefully my hair will still look alright like yours after a day or two (I wash every day usually)

Firefox7275
July 30th, 2013, 06:07 PM
This is interesting. I'm not up on the science though... Do you have a lay way of explaining that? :o
I will definitely check out those links- thanks!

The links should be understandable to the layperson, which part don't you understand and I'll try to explain that differently?

10000days
July 30th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Just the anionic and cationic charges part. If hair is cati/ani (I don't know which one), what does shampoo which is cat/ani do to the cuticle?

HumanBean
July 30th, 2013, 09:43 PM
LHC has a Facebook group?

fungo
July 31st, 2013, 01:02 PM

I looked but didn't find it

skyblue
July 31st, 2013, 01:59 PM
I'm getting on to 2 weeks now between washes!! It doesn't get greasy or dirty looking at all, I'm kind of excited about that lol!! I joined here about 2 and a half years ago, at that time I had to was it every 3 says or it would get really bad, but I've been slowly stretching my washes since and I'm really amazed at the amount of days between washes I can go now!

fungo
July 31st, 2013, 02:34 PM
http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p602/fungo25/571b88d7ba5230ba7d579e8df98fbb0d_zpsb44c8563.jpg

Not a great photo but my hair doesn't look too bad, it will be a week tomorrow since I washed it.

Firefox7275
August 6th, 2013, 07:07 AM

I looked but didn't find it

Do answer the questions, there was a creepy dude recently so group is on 'high alert'
https://www.facebook.com/groups/389020237837853/

jacqueline101
August 6th, 2013, 10:39 AM
I'm going to try this I wash it and leave it alone until wash day. Then I put it back up.