PDA

View Full Version : Long haired ladies, can I live vicariously through you

Killahkurlz
July 30th, 2013, 05:05 AM
this is a repost from the long hair care forum thread.

So I have been stalking fotkis ALL DAY (stalking fotkis, as well as stalking those who stalk others, thanks theo :lol:), and dreaming about hair, le sigh. I simply cannot wait to get to BSL and beyond to me is the kinda hair that stays on your back and has that extra movement because of the weight.

I have been looking at you long haired ladies fotkis and imaging what life must be like, :scratchch:woot:

If you don't mind please share your experiences, and don't worry about sounding arrogant or anything of that sort.

I have been imaging what it must be like to feel all that hair in the shower, just to have it all, just hanging down your back. DH loves when we are in the shower and the little bit of hang I got now. So I could only imagine.:blush:

I also imagine going out, with all you hair out and suddenly a gust of wind comes by and it's blowing all about (oh my hair!). Or bending over to pick up something and it all comes tumbling down, and having to flip it back. Or like another poster said, having my hair down and my neck is hot from all the heat, from all the hair, and having to move it to the side. :cloud9:

I know that there are other threads about this, but I am pretty sure I have read them all. :look:

Please put me out of my misery and share some more...:lick:

samanthaj08
July 30th, 2013, 04:23 PM
This is kind of creepy

jacqueline101
July 30th, 2013, 04:42 PM
It's like paparazzi for the long haired people.

akilina
July 30th, 2013, 04:48 PM
This is kind of creepy

i second this....

OP, I'm sort of confused....is this something you wrote and are writing it here too?? Or is this something that you saw on another board and you're pasting it here for discussion on it? More info would help. This doesn't make alot of sense, plus a more legible font would help.

P.s. what are fotkis.....???

coconutinsight
July 30th, 2013, 04:51 PM
:confused:

Juanita
July 30th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Fotki.com seems like a long hair photo sharing board.

Buddaphlyy
July 30th, 2013, 05:03 PM
You copied this from LHCF (I know because I used to be a member when it was originally posted) and IMO, you should leave it there. The standards of "long hair" are a little different here and some of the experiences mentioned on LHCF probably wouldn't apply here.

i second this....

OP, I'm sort of confused....is this something you wrote and are writing it here too?? Or is this something that you saw on another board and you're pasting it here for discussion on it? More info would help. This doesn't make alot of sense, plus a more legible font would help.

A fotki is an online photo album site. I have one because I like that I can control how my photos are displayed. Plus I kept forgetting my photobucket account info:p

Sharysa
July 30th, 2013, 05:15 PM
I poked around the Long Hair Care Forums a few times, but UTT and LHC are better suited for Asian hair. I'm just going to answer this one in good faith, since she seems sincere about it.

1) Most people with long hair are HIGHLY against going out with their hair down as often as you imply. Especially when it's windy. Wind and loose hair will usually mean a bird's nest, tangles, and even splits/breakage if your hair's particularly fragile. In fact, it's not just this forum who recommends not leaving your hair down all the time since LHCF does, too.

2) Most people are not professional photographers (nor do most people know them), so the photos here aren't of the situations you describe. They're pretty standard length/"What's my hair-type?"/hairstyle shots. I'm one of about three people on the LHC/Untamed Tresses forums that actually has photos from a photoshoot. As implied, I had to pay for that kind of quality, and it was NOT fun having to detangle my hair for half an hour when I got home.

TL;DR: Growing out your hair is going to be pretty boring most of the time.

SerinaDaith
July 30th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Put it up, forget it, try to forget it, keep trying to forget about it, look at it again in about a year of putting it up and pretending that it is not driving you insane to wait for it to get longer, repeat till you get to your desired length. I wear my hair down rairly and I am just hitting the most people think of it as long stage. Please see very short around here. Most of us get board because we are just waiting for it to get longer/wear it up ALL-THE-TIME. I will probably never do a pro photo shoot for my hair, if I am lucky and dressed up for a con and have my hair down maybe a friend will snap a nice shot but past that it ain't happening.

faellen
July 30th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Regarding the gust of wind thing, I have mixed feelings. When my hair is down and a gust of wind blows it all back, my mind at first thinks "ahhh this feels pretty good, I bet it'd make a great photo" and then changes to "oh man I'm gonna have to brush those tangles out later" :(

SerinaDaith
July 30th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Also this does come across as more than a little pervy.

faellen
July 30th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Also this does come across as more than a little pervy.

Made worse by the "lick" at the end, which I'm guessing used to be a smiley :p

SerinaDaith
July 30th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Yeah that and scratch didn't much help.

Dorothy
July 30th, 2013, 07:04 PM
double post sorry

Dorothy
July 30th, 2013, 07:07 PM
It sounds a little pervy to me about the shower, but I gotta say, I'm so entertained by how hard it is to perv on LHC members. Yeah, hair, wow, what a hassle, you probably wouldn't like it. The monistat, the catnip tea, we are so not sexy. Good luck with that, pervs.

akilina
July 30th, 2013, 10:10 PM
It sounds a little pervy to me about the shower, but I gotta say, I'm so entertained by how hard it is to perv on LHC members. Yeah, hair, wow, what a hassle, you probably wouldn't like it. The monistat, the catnip tea, we are so not sexy. Good luck with that, pervs.

It's more of a hair ****** in a creepy way. Quite a few people here have been harassed by hair ****** pervs saying things like what they would "love to do to that hair..." In a very sexual way. Yes, I do think its very creepy and perverted for someone to tell you they'd love to release themselves in your hair...eeek >_<

VixenWolfMare
July 30th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Lol Well There are many rules to long hair witch even though showering, wind, and fun falling manes all sound pretty in the real world, they are not so grace full. :/

In the shower:

if i'm not washing my hair its in a shower cap.(so very pretty)
If i am washing my hair its in cold water(so fun) and am doing the don't let my hair product touch my skin dance.(so sexy)

As for wind:
most of us for windy days like up do's wind makes tangles. tangles break hair.

and for picking things up:
my hair is so long it no joke blinds me.

VixenWolfMare
July 30th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Monistat? why?

LadyCelestina
July 31st, 2013, 03:01 AM
I don't think the OP was trying to be a perv,just a bit,uhm,new to LHC and the common ways and strategies of posting here.

LadyCelestina
July 31st, 2013, 03:03 AM

Haha,true :D Don't forget six hours of henna mud under a plastic bag and orange ears :D

Rosethorn
July 31st, 2013, 03:16 AM

:redgrin: That's hysterical. I just laughed until I cried. I so needed that. Thanks :)

Killahkurlz
July 31st, 2013, 04:20 AM
lol. this is not my post. I found it on lhcf and it cracked me up! ppl r so funny so I brought it over here

Killahkurlz
July 31st, 2013, 04:24 AM
It's more of a hair ****** in a creepy way. Quite a few people here have been harassed by hair ****** pervs saying things like what they would "love to do to that hair..." In a very sexual way. Yes, I do think its very creepy and perverted for someone to tell you they'd love to release themselves in your hair...eeek >_<

oh myyyy. I think that jist goes too far lmbo. the point on the other forum was ppl writing their long hair experiences ie, someone coming up to them and striking up.a.convo about how amazing their hair is, not necessarily someone wanting to kno about u n the shower lmbo!

Killahkurlz
July 31st, 2013, 04:29 AM
You copied this from LHCF (I know because I used to be a member when it was originally posted) and IMO, you should leave it there. The standards of "long hair" are a little different here and some of the experiences mentioned on LHCF probably wouldn't apply here.

A fotki is an online photo album site. I have one because I like that I can control how my photos are displayed. Plus I kept forgetting my photobucket account info:p

im sorry if u want to keep this form segregated but im not a segregation kind of girl. fyi there r many diferrent hair types on lhcf

Killahkurlz
July 31st, 2013, 04:34 AM
gosh, sorry for so many posts I cant edit yet. and actually budda, standards for long hair are actually more similar than u kno. if u do ur research, ud kno there is a.constant for all hair types to get it to grow, oil, low manipulation, and protective styling. u guys do it, indians, african Americans who kno better, asians, so that cment was.just ignorant.

humble_knight
July 31st, 2013, 05:43 AM
This thread wins my Bamboozling Thread of the Day award. I've re-read it already a few times and I still have no idea what it's about.

intrigued
July 31st, 2013, 07:45 AM
This thread wins my Bamboozling Thread of the Day award. I've re-read it already a few times and I still have no idea what it's about.

I saw this when it was just the first post, read it through, was confused, and earmarked it to check back on it later to see what kind of replies it got and to see if it made any more sense. Read through the whole thing and so glad that you posted this, it's dead on what I was thinking. This thread is all over the place... :lick:

door72067
July 31st, 2013, 07:46 AM
i second this....

everything I was thinking as well

woodswanderer
July 31st, 2013, 08:08 AM
I didn't really read anything on this thread as anyone wanting racial segregation. I know we have many people of different ethnicities that are members here. I think people just don't like to read something that sounds creepy and obsessed. It probably would have been better to explain at first and say "Check out this funny post..."

SerinaDaith
July 31st, 2013, 08:37 AM
A tag line of this was funny would have helped us all.
As far as my time here I don't think I have ever spotted segrigation, most of us would not put up with it. I know I sure would not. Each of us has groups for length, hair type or what have you but others post every so often in different groups without ruffling feathers.
LHC just does not take kindly to things that sound pervy, cause we are for the most part practical gals who want long hair for themselves, not to bring other folks gratification.

Angela_Rose
July 31st, 2013, 09:14 AM
gosh, sorry for so many posts I cant edit yet. and actually budda, standards for long hair are actually more similar than u kno. if u do ur research, ud kno there is a.constant for all hair types to get it to grow, oil, low manipulation, and protective styling. u guys do it, indians, african Americans who kno better, asians, so that cment was.just ignorant.

Looks like you're new around here, Killahkurlz. Welcome to LHC, and we hope you have fun.
In the meantime, please understand that when it comes to standards of hair care, we as a collective kind of know our dtuff around here. I hope you're reading this in the kindly, I've-been-around-awhile voice I'm trying to convey through type...
Anyway, I wouldn't have considered the post you've referenced as "ignorant." I think the previous poster was trying to convey the fact that the hair of different ethnicities often needs to be treated differently; you and I will have very different hair care routines because we have vastly different hair types and textures, and neither of us would treat our hair the same way as a person from, say, Japan would treat his/her hair.

In any case, welcome to LHC and please remember that we are all here to learn.

Chromis
July 31st, 2013, 09:24 AM
:crazyq:

Also, you might want to review the forum rules, particularly the Standards for Writing: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/announcement.php?f=9&a=3

Specifically: proper/standard English is expected in posts and articles here at TLHC. Chat/text-speak and lolcat-speak are difficult to read and are not allowed.

Tristania
July 31st, 2013, 09:25 AM
My poor eyes were completely unable to read the original post due to the typeface/color combo.

Killahkurlz
July 31st, 2013, 09:32 AM
no one said anything about racial segregation. she was.talking about hair type. she said something about keeping asian hair on lhcf....but this thread is an offical bust

LongCurlyTress
July 31st, 2013, 09:38 AM
Nice response, SerinaDaith! I totally agree. I can totally relate to the wishing and hoping that a year would pass for another 6 inches of growth/progress. It has taken me 2 years since March, 2011 to go from a chin length (naturally curly3b) bob to just below bsl, but still apl when dry with curl length shrinkage. ;( Hang in there Killakhurtz! I know it is a long year, especially those first two years. If you can get some cute claw clips to put your hair into a french twist, using bobbys to hold up the shorter lengths, straighten just your bangs to go with it, watch you tube videos... remember, you are not alone in your quest for long, long hair! Benign neglect and coconut oil on the ends every night have been the greatest suggestions for getting my hair from chin length to below bsl, 27 inches now. Good luck!

Killahkurlz
July 31st, 2013, 09:50 AM
lol actually I dont have bangs. my hair shrinks about 50°/. so it just seems like I do. but ive just bought some hair sticks and a claw on etsy and I cant wait to use.them. im n a bunning.challenge to help me get to bsl or past by.xmas

Unicorn
July 31st, 2013, 10:20 AM
This is kind of creepy

It IS very creepy.

Unicorn

spidermom
July 31st, 2013, 10:49 AM
Walking across the room with hair loose, a little too close to the wall, and having a few hairs snag up in that tiny space where light switch cover plate meets wall, and experiencing a rude JERK in which 4 or 5 hairs are pulled right out of your head. So alluring!

PraiseCheeses
July 31st, 2013, 11:21 AM
Nothing as alluring as catching your cat running down the hall with what looks like a string of sausages hanging out of her rear, either.

Long Hair - The Dark Side. :p

Leeloo
July 31st, 2013, 12:41 PM
PraiseCheeses, :rollin:

Sharysa
July 31st, 2013, 01:48 PM
Ohhhhhhh, so this was supposed to be a "Holy crap, check this person out!" post.

Next time you come across this, KillahKurlz, you really should put some sort of "Holy crap, check this person out!" disclaimer at the beginning or end of the post. Four pages is a LOT of confusion to sort out.

Sharysa
July 31st, 2013, 01:48 PM
Bleh, double-post.

stachelbeere
July 31st, 2013, 03:46 PM
Walking across the room with hair loose, a little too close to the wall, and having a few hairs snag up in that tiny space where light switch cover plate meets wall, and experiencing a rude JERK in which 4 or 5 hairs are pulled right out of your head. So alluring!

I had a similar experience today. Sitting on the toilet, leaning back, resting head on the wall/ flushing buttons. Leaning forward and one single strand got caught in the button somehow... it took me a while (probably 15 seconds ;)) to pull it out, eek. The pain.

samanthaj08
July 31st, 2013, 04:14 PM
Nothing as alluring as catching your cat running down the hall with what looks like a string of sausages hanging out of her rear, either.

Long Hair - The Dark Side. :p

There was a mouse, Benito Moussolini, living under my desk at work and he was gathering my hairs and making nests in my computer wires. Until my company killed him :steam

Buddaphlyy
August 1st, 2013, 01:32 AM
im sorry if u want to keep this form segregated but im not a segregation kind of girl. fyi there r many diferrent hair types on lhcf

gosh, sorry for so many posts I cant edit yet. and actually Buddaphlyy, standards for long hair are actually more similar than u kno. if u do ur research, ud kno there is a.constant for all hair types to get it to grow, oil, low manipulation, and protective styling. u guys do it, indians, african Americans who kno better, asians, so that cment was.just ignorant.

These have to be the funniest posts I've ever had directed at me in the entire time I've been a member of online hair forums. I've been a member of TLHC and LHCF for over 7 years now so trust and believe I've done my research and I'm far from ignorant. There's a big difference in the atmosphere and tone of the two forums. Stick around long enough and you'll see. This is why your post that was copied from over there was amusing in that context but the same post here is "perverted" as other members have said. In the LHCF post, "long hair" is BSL; hair isn't "long" here until WSL, probably even longer. And while it's true there are a variety of different hair types on LHCF, the board is mostly composed of Type 3 and 4 members who have had some experience with relaxers (currently using/transitioning/now natural) and are from the US. This board has far more Type 1,2, and 3 members who at most use color and is much more international. And while it's true that 'hair is hair', many of the common experiences on LHCF are almost unheard of here (i.e. weave checks, questions of nationality/ethnicity when hair is out).

And for the record, I'm not the person who made the comment about Asian hair, or any hair type for that matter. My comment about keeping the post from LHCF on LHCF stems from everything I just said above about a boards atmosphere, not race.

Angela_Rose
August 1st, 2013, 05:49 AM
Well said, Buddaphlyy.

Unofficial_Rose
August 1st, 2013, 06:11 AM
My poor eyes were completely unable to read the original post due to the typeface/color combo.

Glad it wasn't just me. I know my eyesight isn't the greatest!

Killahkurlz
August 1st, 2013, 07:44 AM
I apologize for the ignorant comment. To me it just seemed like you didn't know what you were talking about, wasn't using it in a insulting way. and I never said my hair was long. It's far from it I know. I just don't see the need to 'segregate', like I said before if there is common ground. All hair types may not be handled the same, but it's all made up of the same essence. I do agree things like weave checks etc probably don't belong here but nobody said anything about those things. This post is about long hair experiences, or moments when you took pride in having long hair, not about how to handle the hair, which is why I believe it does belong on this long hair forum.

Angela_Rose
August 1st, 2013, 08:05 AM
I apologize for the ignorant comment. To me it just seemed like you didn't know what you were talking about, wasn't using it in a insulting way. and I never said my hair was long. It's far from it I know. I just don't see the need to 'segregate', like I said before if there is common ground. All hair types may not be handled the same, but it's all made up of the same essence. I do agree things like weave checks etc probably don't belong here but nobody said anything about those things. This post is about long hair experiences, or moments when you took pride in having long hair, not about how to handle the hair, which is why I believe it does belong on this long hair forum.

Firstly, KillahKurlz, let me say 'thank you' for posting in a more legible fashion. A well-written post is easier to understand, especially since we have a multitude of non-native English speakers amongst our membership.

Beyond that, I think we are simply trying to illustrate to you that the general tone and sensibilities of the membership here at LHC tends more toward education, celebration of hair-related accomplishments, friendship, and overall a gentler nature; the folks over at TLHCF seem, from my experience, to steer more towards the informal, the bragging, and even towards the ******ization of long hair. If that's your thing, great! It's just not the general voice of things *here.*

Nobody is calling you out for having or not having long hair, weaves, bangs, curls, etc. As your time amongst us goes on, you will find that we have plenty of members with short/er hair; they're here to learn techniques for improving the health of their hair with an aim towards becoming "longhairs."

Please do not discount our collective knowledge, and please do not insult us by putting blatant racism on our heads, especially when we have done no such thing.

If you find a need for discussing "weave checks" or other concerns which are specific to your hair type or peer group, then by all means starts some threads and garner some interests! As I keep reiterating, we're here to learn; if you have something you find we could be taught, we do appreciate everyone's input.

I hope you are reading this post in the manner in which it is intended. I am not aiming to hurt or insult you, but to hopefully increase the value and enjoyment of your experience as a member of the Long Hair Community.

Killahkurlz
August 1st, 2013, 08:14 AM
I never said anything about racism. I think you guys are looping race in with the word, segregation. Let me say it again, the conversation was about HAIR TYPE, not race.
And I do agree on the lhcf, a lot of the girls are lusting after long hair because many have not had long hair before. That is why I started lurking here to see what else I could find outside of that.
and if I ever put a weave in my hair, i'll be sure to do so. but honestly, I don't see myself doing so.

Angela_Rose
August 1st, 2013, 08:36 AM
Okay, clearly we are not going to see eye to eye on this, so goodbye and good luck.

TiaKitty
August 1st, 2013, 08:38 AM
Someone tell me what a weave check is, please?

Lorisal
August 1st, 2013, 08:46 AM
Someone tell me what a weave check is, please?

A weave check is when someone runs their fingers through your hair to see if it is all yours or if there is fake hair added.

TiaKitty
August 1st, 2013, 08:49 AM
That's rude!

Killahkurlz
August 1st, 2013, 08:53 AM
what do you mean eye to eye? where was the disagreement in the last posts we've sent each other? I just said I agreed with you. but I was over this once I saw this thread didn't work out over here. but thanks for the luck. same to you.

weave check:
and yes, that is the very rude way. also, people will stare really hard at someone's scalp lol.

queenofheartz44
August 1st, 2013, 03:05 PM
A weave check is when someone runs their fingers through your hair to see if it is all yours or if there is fake hair added.

Haha! I've had people at Empire Beauty School come over to me the few times I'm there and do this. Like "No I'm lying about this being my hair" It seems like they want to catch me in a lie? Or that maybe I'm delusional and convinced my "weave" is my own hair now? :rollin:

chen bao jun
August 1st, 2013, 03:52 PM
Glad this all got straightened out. Welcome to the forum. This is a very good forum with lots of good information for all hairtypes, plus there are threads specifically for type 3 and also for type 4 hair that you will find have good information. The vibe is very different from LHCF as few members chemically straighten or flat iron their hair and there is not as much stress on specific products as there is over there.
I just wanted to point out that actually Buddha's comment was not ignorant. The different hair types have some things in common obviously, as all are human hair but 'low manipulation' for instance will mean something very different to a 4a or 4b curly with fine hair and a 1a or 1b Asian person with coarse hair, and so will 'protective styling' (using a weave as a protective style, to give just one example, will not be understood over here.) A lot of advice that is standard on the LHCF where the hair types are overwhelmingly 3c-4c is not useful advice for the other hairtypes that you find here. That's not 'segregation' (I know you didn't mean racial segregation but hairtype segregation)--its just a matter of the same advice not being useful for everybody. Even on the LHCF you see different sections aimed at 'low porosity' or 'fine-haired naturals' or 'half-wigs as protective styles' etc. There are different issues on this board some of the time. For instance, threads on 'slippery hair' and how to create updoes with it are common here, but would be a joke over on LHCF, where that problem basically does not exist. On the other hand, there has been no need for a thread on 'regrowing your edges' over here, where people do not put in tight cornrows and leave them for six months or even more.
Glad you are here, stick around, there is a lot of useful information and members are friendly and welcoming. I have found a lot of information I did not know which was extremely useful.

chen bao jun
August 1st, 2013, 04:05 PM
That's rude!
It's rude but it happens in the black community a lot. There are stereotypes there that darker skinned black women, especially, can't grow their own long hair and many blacks believe this, although it is not true. So yes, certain people (not everyone by any means, its a minority of rude people, but they make themselves noticeable) will put their hands in other people's long hair, hoping to 'out' them as having fake hair and embarrass them in public, especially if there are men about --because of course, its all about putting the competition down in front of the men.
It's also just kind of a way of saying 'you are not better than me' because of course having longer hair would make you soooo superior--One of the less fun things about American black culture. Hopefully, one day this kind of childish thinking and the resultant bad behavior will stop.

chen bao jun
August 1st, 2013, 04:09 PM
Yes, there are weaves that are so good you can't tell they are weaves without feeling the tracks. in my opinion, if you want to buy one (and can afford it) it really is not anyone else's business, but...