PDA

View Full Version : 100 % silk for sleep and hair : recommendation

Maktub
July 30th, 2013, 03:58 AM
I love real silk and though my new find might interest some of you :

I highly recommend this sleep cap : http://www.etsy.com/listing/156261109/pure-silk-sleep-bonnet-adjustable?ref=shop_home_active
top quality, super nice seller, handmade, 100% silk inside out, no showing elastics, stays on my head, doesn't fall in my face, fast shipping, ships everywhere !

What are your recommendations for pure 100 % silk things for hair ? (caps, pillows, scrunchies, etc.)

pocketsmall
July 30th, 2013, 04:39 AM
What a lovely sleep cap. Next time I'm looking to spoil myself, I might order one (: I can't sleep without my sleep cap, it's become such a security blanket thing to me!

Kaelee
July 30th, 2013, 07:49 AM
That's gorgeous, but I'm afraid I couldn't get used to sleeping with one!!!!

chen bao jun
July 30th, 2013, 09:00 AM
I liked it until I saw the price.
I do love silk. I went to Joann Fabric, bought some silk on sale (about 1.5 yards) cut out a piece 2x the size of my pillow, sewed three seams in it and had a pillow. then I serged around the edges of a square and got my scarf that I sleep in. Total coast was about $15.
Not as pretty as that picture, though.

luxepiggy
July 30th, 2013, 09:31 AM
I couldn't agree more! Sleeping on 100% silk charmeuse pillow covers has really made a visible difference in the overall condition and appearance of my hair. As an intimate apparel designer I had quite a bit of extra sitting around. When I'm at home I also like to wear a silk charmeuse day robe on the outside of my clothing, which helps prevent my hair from picking up lint or getting caught in the waistband/back-pocket buttons of my trousers (^(oo)^)v

Arien
July 30th, 2013, 09:56 AM
That sleep cap is beautiful. I would never keep it on though!

Both my husband and myself couldn't believe what a difference sleeping on silk pillows made! No more bed head! Lol. Have been waking up with perfect hair that doesn't even need brushing. (but I do anyway because I can't resist) Fantastic on your skin as well! I found myself as of late waking up with as I can only describe as puffy skin. Yet another thing i put down to being on the wrong side of 25... It took a good half hour every morning to start looking normal again.. Now we have silk pillows that been completely eliminated :). I have a pair of 19 momme silk pillows and a pair of 16 momme. The 19 momme were double the price and I have to say I cannot really notice a difference in the quality of them... I won't shell out for 19 momme silk again!

Tori Angeli
July 30th, 2013, 10:14 AM
These caps can be made in five minutes, but I'm curious. Of course silk breathes better than polyester, but for hair itself, is there and advantage to silk charmeuse over synthetic?

Siiri
July 30th, 2013, 11:38 AM
These caps can be made in five minutes, but I'm curious. Of course silk breathes better than polyester, but for hair itself, is there and advantage to silk charmeuse over synthetic?

Synthetics can cause static. On the other hand silk will absorb some moisture and oils from the hair, but polyester doesn't.

Leeloo
July 30th, 2013, 11:39 AM
I’m wondering the same thing Tori Angeli. I know silk breathes better and I think it might be more beneficial because it’s composition is closest to the hairs, but how that works I’m not sure. I use a synthetic one myself.

Leeloo
July 30th, 2013, 11:40 AM
I’m wondering the same thing Tori Angeli. I know silk breathes better and I think it might be more beneficial because it’s composition is closest to the hairs, but how that works I’m not sure. I use a synthetic one myself.

Tori Angeli
July 30th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Nobody saw that double-post.

Tori Angeli
July 30th, 2013, 11:53 AM
I also use a synthetic satin pillowcase, but have considered switching to a cap because my hair doesn't all stay on the pillowcase. The silk might be cooler on warm nights, and getting a remnant for cheap wouldn't be difficult. Cleaning it after overnight oilings would be a pain, though. Synthetics you can just throw in the wash.

Although if the thing stayed on overnight, regardless of fabric composition, it would be a miracle.

Leeloo
July 30th, 2013, 12:11 PM

Leeloo
July 30th, 2013, 01:20 PM