PDA

View Full Version : Protective styles for collar bone length hair?

Natural_Locks24
July 29th, 2013, 11:44 AM
I need your guys help! I'm getting very frustrated with hair lately, I can't find a style that looks good besides straightening which is something I try to avoid. I have type 2a/2b hair and it's more on the high side of medium for thickness and density. When I try to wear it wavey it just gets very frizzy and poofy. I got my hair cut about 2 months ago from waist length which now I completely regret :( so what would you guys suggest for protective up dos and also for wearing it down. Can i wear a fork yet, maybe just half way up? I'm growing my hair out again and my start length is 13' and my goal is 25'

Leeloo
July 29th, 2013, 11:47 AM
What about double French braids on each side to a bun

proo
July 29th, 2013, 12:07 PM
The "headband curls" style

SerinaDaith
July 29th, 2013, 12:10 PM
If you can find the shoulder length to APL thread there are loads of styles for your length. Braids of all sorts help, my go to style at that length was a horse shoe braid, Arrow Odden over on youtube has a great tutorial, her hair is longer but it works if you tuck tails on opposing sides. Gibson tucks work as well if you can pull your hair into a pony tail, there are lots of tutorials on them as well. A couple of french braids with the tails tucked back up and under the scalp braid then pinned works well too. Oil helps taim the wild whispies on my 2c/3a hair and is imo better than pomaids for the hair.

PraiseCheeses
July 29th, 2013, 12:13 PM
The Gibson Tuck (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmZR-PlJ_AU) is classy, looks great on wavy hair, and will protect your ends. Also, if you love the straight look, you might check out crown wrapping/doobies; you're at a good length to learn how to do that. Basically, you comb your wet hair in a circle around your head, pinning as you go, and then tie a silk scarf over it until it dries. No heat, and the scarf keeps away the frizzies. I could get my 2c/3a hair pin-straight with that method at that length. :flower:

Natural_Locks24
July 29th, 2013, 01:03 PM
I've never really tried different up dos before, even when my hair was long. I have A LOT to learn :) I will have to give the Gibson tuck a try. Do bobby pins damage the hair? My hair is also layered, which is a pain to deal with. The shortest layer is chin length

oatmealpie
July 29th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Here's the Shoulder to APL thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=33961

Natural_Locks24
July 29th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Thanks oatmealpie I'll have to look through that. I tried the Gibson tuck and I couldn't get it to work. I think my hair isn't quiet long enough :/

GrowingGlory
July 29th, 2013, 03:42 PM
You could tuck it into a UV Buff.

jacqueline101
July 29th, 2013, 03:44 PM
I'd try the Gibson tuck or the basic pony tail.

teddygirl
July 29th, 2013, 06:29 PM
You could try the southern tease bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QprBr3dTfmc). her hair is slightly longer, but ive seen it done on shorter. I think french braids are your best bet though, single or double.