PDA

View Full Version : Coconut oil rancid in one day?

Lakiticni
July 29th, 2013, 04:45 AM
EDIT: I solved this problem, read last post if interested!

I am using coconut oil for the second time on my hair. First time everything was fine - the day I put it and the next day hair smelled like coconut and oil did wonders for it.
Second time I put it yesterday. Everything was fine for that day, but today when I woke up I noticed my hair has some foul, a bit acidic smell, but hair still feels and looks better. Could the oil go bad on hair over the night?

The amount of oil I put is just enough to cover the hair. I'm not getting it super greasy. It is cold pressed extra virgin oil.
Also, I had one hair wash between those two times of applying oil. (first application day was Thursday, wash Friday, and the second application Sunday)

flemeister
July 29th, 2013, 05:06 AM
Yeah, it can smell a bit weird after just one day. The key is to use even less than you are now. Also don't forget to dampen your hair a little before applying the oil, for some extra moisture to get locked in. Just the tiniest bit of oil on your fingertips. Work it into the tips of your hair mainly, then use a teeny bit more near the roots and along the length, to help tame the frizzies. After a day, you should only be able to feel and smell a trace of coconut oil in your hair.

I used to really slather it on! But now that I only use very very little at a time, I'm able to keep it in my hair for at least 2-3 days at a time without it smelling weird. Plus it's still very effective in countering the effects of chlorinated pool water (I swim laps for ~30 min 2-3 times a week).

Good luck! :)

Lakiticni
July 29th, 2013, 05:34 AM
Okay! I'm going to do it that way next time and then report the result here.
Thank you.

Firefox7275
July 29th, 2013, 07:06 AM
I am using coconut oil for the second time on my hair. First time everything was fine - the day I put it and the next day hair smelled like coconut and oil did wonders for it.
Second time I put it yesterday. Everything was fine for that day, but today when I woke up I noticed my hair has some foul, a bit acidic smell, but hair still feels and looks better. Could the oil go bad on hair over the night?

The amount of oil I put is just enough to cover the hair. I'm not getting it super greasy. It is cold pressed extra virgin oil.
Also, I had one hair wash between those two times of applying oil. (first application day was Thursday, wash Friday, and the second application Sunday)

Coconut oil should not go rancid easily at all, coconut oil is primarily saturated fatty acids which cannot oxidise. Refined oil is better from that POV because it's not 'contaminated' with unnecessary components of the whole coconut. Are you sure it is your hair and not your scalp that smells strange?

akilina
July 29th, 2013, 09:44 AM
I too, would not assume the coconut oil has gone "rancid" it's probably your scalp smell, and also, if you slept on it maybe it picked up extra smell from pillows and bedding. I noticed also that two days of oiled hair, or even An over night soak is not going to smell amazing. My oiled hair tends to pick up on scents in the air, and scents its directly exposed to.

Beborani
July 29th, 2013, 09:56 AM
I grew up with coocnuts and coconut oil. Coconut oil mixed with water left in the bathroom for a couple of days smells awful. Food garnished with fresh coconuts go bad the fastest. It is likely bacterial growth but I dont recall it smelling bad on the hair even after several days in tropical climate.

Leeloo
July 29th, 2013, 10:39 AM
I have seen one of my tubs of coconut oil go bad in a few days after purchase when I left it open in the bathroom. So now I keep it in the kitchen or close the lid tight if it stays in the bathroom.

CSallaround
July 29th, 2013, 11:20 AM
I haven't noticed coconut oil smelling bad in my hair but I have noticed the rancid smell when I use it on my skin - but it only smells bad when on skin that is covered by clothes??

jacqueline101
July 29th, 2013, 03:56 PM
It can smell funny after one time and the next day use less.

Firefox7275
July 29th, 2013, 04:00 PM
I grew up with coocnuts and coconut oil. Coconut oil mixed with water left in the bathroom for a couple of days smells awful. Food garnished with fresh coconuts go bad the fastest. It is likely bacterial growth but I dont recall it smelling bad on the hair even after several days in tropical climate.

Very interesting that it may be linked to water rich additions, thank you!

spirals
July 29th, 2013, 07:27 PM
I use refined. I can't smell it. I have never used the virgin stuff because of the smell and cost. I am perfectly happy with my big tub of LouAna. And if I feel like making any southern-fried food, I have it on hand. :cheese:

Lakiticni
July 30th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Coconut oil should not go rancid easily at all, coconut oil is primarily saturated fatty acids which cannot oxidise. Refined oil is better from that POV because it's not 'contaminated' with unnecessary components of the whole coconut. Are you sure it is your hair and not your scalp that smells strange?

I too, would not assume the coconut oil has gone "rancid" it's probably your scalp smell, and also, if you slept on it maybe it picked up extra smell from pillows and bedding. I noticed also that two days of oiled hair, or even An over night soak is not going to smell amazing. My oiled hair tends to pick up on scents in the air, and scents its directly exposed to.
I am not sure how is anyone able to smell their scalp (unless it smells really badly that you can feel it in the air around your head). I could only feel the smell if I put my hair close under my nose, so I guessed it was hair, but the oil might have been mixed with some sweat (summer here) plus later in the day we had guests who smoke, and my hair picks the cigar smell a lot, and then stinks really badly. So it could have been some mix of smells that were left on my hair.

Lakiticni
July 30th, 2013, 08:56 AM
I use refined. I can't smell it. I have never used the virgin stuff because of the smell and cost. I am perfectly happy with my big tub of LouAna. And if I feel like making any southern-fried food, I have it on hand. :cheese:

Where I live, we only have virgin, and I really like the coconut smell. Reminds me of cookies and cakes with coconut.

flemeister
July 30th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Where I live, we only have virgin, and I really like the coconut smell. Reminds me of cookies and cakes with coconut.
Mmm, coconut and lime cupcakes, homemade, yum yum! :D

I use extra virgin coconut oil as well, just a cheap 500ml jar of it, only gone through half of it in 6 months. Would have more left if I didn't use so much at a time early on.

Lakiticni
October 1st, 2013, 09:51 AM
Oh, I'm necroposting this thread since I didn't reply earlier (I was busy with my last exam and then some big work at home).
I just wanted to say that I solved this problem by washing hair without the conditioner I used before. Now I wash it with mix of baking soda and water, then I do a rinse (instead of condish) with a mix of water, ACV, and coconut oil.
After that, my hair is all smooth and shiny, and almost never tangles. I also have no need to use coconut oil on hair between washes anymore.
Thank you all for trying to help.