PDA

View Full Version : ACV Rinses... how to get the best result?

MetalMistress
July 28th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Hello everyone! First post in the mane forum. I'm wondering what the best method to doing an apple cider vinegar rinse is, as whenever I've done it, it's seemed to always be a hit or miss. Sometimes my hair feels too greasy or too dry and crunchy. What ratio of vinegar to water has worked the best for you? Is it meant to be poured all over, even on the roots, and how long should you let it sit?Thanks so much for any input!

ravenreed
July 28th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Hmm. I don't measure exactly. Maybe a tablespoon to about 16 oz of water. However, I have extremely hard water where I live, so perhaps you need less. I pour it all over my scalp and ends, let it sit for just a moment while I gently squeeze out the excess and rinse, rinse, rinse! Maybe you are not rinsing it out well enough? You could also try lemon juice instead, and see if that works better for you.

Hello everyone! First post in the mane forum. I'm wondering what the best method to doing an apple cider vinegar rinse is, as whenever I've done it, it's seemed to always be a hit or miss. Sometimes my hair feels too greasy or too dry and crunchy. What ratio of vinegar to water has worked the best for you? Is it meant to be poured all over, even on the roots, and how long should you let it sit?Thanks so much for any input!

Callifornia
July 28th, 2013, 09:37 PM
I use 1tablespoon for 2cups of water, let sit for about 2 minutes then rinse and condition. My hair is naturally really dry and my water is on the softer side.

Perhaps clarifying your hair would help. My hair gets crunchy ends and erratic results from washing if I have buildup.

Leeloo
July 28th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Welcome! I got the same results from acv rinses ( maybe I need to clarify also).

MetalMistress
July 28th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Oh, I see. I think I've been using too much then. I was using a tablespoon to a cup. I'll try the two cups instead and see how it goes, thanks!

MetalMistress
July 28th, 2013, 09:52 PM
I use 1tablespoon for 2cups of water, let sit for about 2 minutes then rinse and condition. My hair is naturally really dry and my water is on the softer side.

Perhaps clarifying your hair would help. My hair gets crunchy ends and erratic results from washing if I have buildup.

How do you go about clarifying your hair?

Natalia
July 28th, 2013, 10:23 PM
I haven't done one in a while (im WO now) but I used to do 1 tablespoon per cup and do the dunk/pour method. Once you mix it up in your cup gently squeeze the excess water out of your hair and dunk as much of the length as you can in the cup. I used to dunk twice just to be sure it got into the wet clump of hair better, then standing out of the way of the water pour it over your scalp and down your length giving the scalp a gentle massage while your pouring.

Teazel
July 28th, 2013, 10:26 PM
I use about a (metric) tablespoon to a jam jar :grin: - which is probably a bit more than a (metric) cup - of warm water. Pour that all over my head and rinse pretty much immediately, but not at all thoroughly. My skin is sensitive and burns if vinegar isn't diluted sufficiently, so I'm not keen to leave vinegar rinses unrinsed. Even though it's rinsed out I still get the benefit of added softness and sleekness, and presumably it helps to reset my scalp's pH balance.

Clarifying is very important, in my opinion, and may be all you need to deal with your hair's crunchiness. Just look for a shampoo that has "clarifying" on the label. It will strip away any product build-up on your hair - make sure to use a good conditioner afterwards.

Tini'sNewHair
July 28th, 2013, 10:30 PM
yeah i use 1tbs in 2 cups of water, works really well but im having trouble with the baking soda wash. didnt work for me :(

MetalMistress
July 28th, 2013, 11:52 PM
I use about a (metric) tablespoon to a jam jar :grin: - which is probably a bit more than a (metric) cup - of warm water. Pour that all over my head and rinse pretty much immediately, but not at all thoroughly. My skin is sensitive and burns if vinegar isn't diluted sufficiently, so I'm not keen to leave vinegar rinses unrinsed. Even though it's rinsed out I still get the benefit of added softness and sleekness, and presumably it helps to reset my scalp's pH balance.

Clarifying is very important, in my opinion, and may be all you need to deal with your hair's crunchiness. Just look for a shampoo that has "clarifying" on the label. It will strip away any product build-up on your hair - make sure to use a good conditioner afterwards.

Oh, so clarifying is just using any clarifying shampoo... I see! Thanks for the tips ;)

MetalMistress
July 28th, 2013, 11:53 PM
yeah i use 1tbs in 2 cups of water, works really well but im having trouble with the baking soda wash. didnt work for me :(

Me neither, it dries mine out too much at the ends and leaves a greasy stiff upper half... maybe I'm doing that wrong too though! Lol

Callifornia
July 29th, 2013, 12:55 AM
Any shampoo that says clarifying should work fine. I need to pick up a new bottle soon to, I've almost worked my way through the first bottle I bought a couple years ago. The only trouble I have is finding somewhere to store it!
They normally sulfates to thoroughly cleanse the hair though, so if you are trying to go sulfate free you could try the baking soda method. I've never tried it, but I've heard it works well. You do need to rebalance the PH with a apple cider vinager rinse afterwards. It also seems to also be fairly drying so most recommend a deep treatment afterwards.

PetuniaBlossom
July 29th, 2013, 11:41 AM
I use white vinegar rather than apple cider vinegar.
I use a ratio of about one part vinegar to 6 or 7 parts purified water, plus a drop or two of Essential oil, such as lavender.
I pour it over scalp and lengths, massage lightly, and Leave.It.In.
I leave it in because it corrects the pH balance of hair and scalp, so rinsing it out with my crummy tap water would just mess with the pH balance.
After the vinegar leave-in, I put a drop or two of baby/mineral oil on the ends and wrap in a microfiber towel. End of shower and my hair thanks me.

TheWhiteRabbit
July 29th, 2013, 01:01 PM
I guess I never got the dilute it with water memo. I just pour about a cup all over my hair, and wash it out. Works fine for me so far.

jacqueline101
July 29th, 2013, 03:48 PM
I'd clarify and then try the acv rinse. I'd put it on for a few minutes then rinse leave it mixed a fourth cup acv the rest water to equil half cup.

WilfredAllen
July 29th, 2013, 11:32 PM
I find white vinegar to be less drying than apple cider vinegar

Firefox7275
July 30th, 2013, 05:04 AM

What are you doing this for, are you hoping to chelate (remove hard water deposits) or encourage the cuticle to lay flat? Not everyone needs/ benefits from vinegar rinses, depends on your water, hair properties/ condition and products.

Baking soda is alkaline so damaging for both skin and hair, use a basic non moisturising shampoo based on cocoamidopropyl betaine or a sulphate surfactant to clarify.