PDA

View Full Version : Why is Your Brand of Henna the Best for You?

kellinaturalmom
July 27th, 2013, 04:15 PM
I'm really curious as to why you love the henna you use!

I'm sure if you've been keeping upon the henna threads lately, you already know I love my Red Raj. I love it because it gives me more of a red rather than an orange, and that's what I'm looking for. I like cool tones for my hair so we'll see where more full-head applications take me! Also I have fine hair and the Red Raj rinsed out very easily. I wish it was cheaper, but.... :)

Can't wait to hear your reasons for your henna brand choices!!!

Isilme
July 27th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Herbique, because it is the only henna I can get my hands on without spending all the money I have on it! We had an online store in Sweden which sold BAQ henna but it shut down and I had to go back to the lower quality hair henna, still pure henna but not finely sifted.

kellinaturalmom
July 27th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Isilme, I've never heard of Herbique before but I adore your hair color in your siggy pic.

Northerner
July 27th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Jamila from an Indian grocery store, because it's cheap, gives great stain, is well sifted and contains no dies/ sand that other cheap hennas often do.

emilia83
July 28th, 2013, 01:02 AM
I've only ever used one, but I order the Ancient Sunrise Rajasthani Twilight (http://www.mehandi.com/shop/hairhenna.html) from mehandi.com. It has the highest lawsone content on the website and I've always been pleased with the color. I've mixed it with both vinegar and lemon juice and had lovely results. :)

AmyBeth
July 28th, 2013, 12:05 PM
I chose Hennaboy Moroccan because my research indicated it would give a softer, more muted red as opposed to a bright orange-y red. In henna terms, less red is a bit relative. I don't have any other experience in henna, as I'm kind of a newbie at it. My grey roots come out really, really orange before I do the 2nd step with henna and indigo. Then I do a 3rd step with cassia and buxus which tones the red/orange into a golden tone. Works for me!

Anje
July 28th, 2013, 04:37 PM
Because it's $1.79/100g, stringy Rajasthani, and stains better than Red Raj. :D

Magalo
July 28th, 2013, 04:58 PM
I use Jamila because:

- It doesn't turn burgundy. I get a warm red (getting redder and less orange with time though) that goes well with my warm-toned skin.
- Rinse very easily. I tried red raj once and it was HORRIBLE. Never again. This stuff was so gummy. :(
- It's very well sifted.

swearnsue
July 28th, 2013, 05:37 PM
I use Jamila because I bought a ton on sale with free shipping. I use it so often to cover gray roots that I don't think the brand matters that much.

kellinaturalmom
July 28th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Because it's $1.79/100g, stringy Rajasthani, and stains better than Red Raj. :D

Anje, where do you buy that?!

Anje
July 28th, 2013, 06:53 PM
It's just from a local Indian grocery. Called "Dulhan" and the packaging is part bad English, part bad Arabic (so I'm told), and part Hindi (?).

OOnaOwl
July 28th, 2013, 07:32 PM
I have used Light Mountain Red "The Fox on the Box" for over a decade. I have never even tried any BAQ or other hennas. I am curious about them, but never sure what to get. The one I use makes my natural light brown hair a dark auburn with bright red highlights.

Natural_Locks24
July 28th, 2013, 07:43 PM
I use Jamila because:

- It doesn't turn burgundy. I get a warm red (getting redder and less orange with time though) that goes well with my warm-toned skin.
- Rinse very easily. I tried red raj once and it was HORRIBLE. Never again. This stuff was so gummy. :(
- It's very well sifted. oh no! Now I'm worried, I got red raj for my first henna. Hopefully it works out

Northerner
July 28th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Anje, I have this brand sitting in my freezer, waiting until I run through my stock of Jamila. But I heard, Dulhan has some green dye in it to make it look fresher - did you notice it or felt any impact (i.e., allergies)?

Anje
July 28th, 2013, 10:42 PM
The stuff that I has isn't dyed, but "Dulhan" just translates to something like "bridal", so there are multiple brands that have the word associated with them. I think Mumtaz (that or MDH) was the only henna I encountered that was dyed green; it actually worked pretty well anyway, but the color freaked me out the first time I mixed it.

ETA: This is the one I use. (http://www.amazon.com/Dulhan-Henna-Powder-100gms/dp/B003ZW7HDS) I just get a better price locally.

Northerner
July 29th, 2013, 04:53 AM
The stuff that I has isn't dyed, but "Dulhan" just translates to something like "bridal", so there are multiple brands that have the word associated with them. I think Mumtaz (that or MDH) was the only henna I encountered that was dyed green; it actually worked pretty well anyway, but the color freaked me out the first time I mixed it.

ETA: This is the one I use. (http://www.amazon.com/Dulhan-Henna-Powder-100gms/dp/B003ZW7HDS) I just get a better price locally.

Thanks, this is what I have too.

Vampyria
July 29th, 2013, 05:47 AM
Sahara Tazarine (Moroccan henna). I have dark hair, but I can still get red-orangey or pure orange tones while mixed with cassia, not burgundy. I got it two years ago, so it's not fresh, but it still gives a nice colour. It was brought to me from Morocco and I was told that it was really cheap. It's probably not that cheap on the internet though. The dye realise is really quick (I think 2 hours+). I usually still have a bit green scalp after I rinse it. It smells really nice though. The consistency is nice (I can't really compare though), it's not to runny,...

It's the only one I tried, but I can only get Indian henna where I live, which is to suppose to get darker and the more reliable quality is 5 times more expensive, like 17$ for 100 grams (and I'm not even overacting) and the one from the Indian store is around 5$.