PDA

View Full Version : Catnip for Split ends and most beneficial change to hair?

oddelabop
July 27th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Hi everybody,

I searched for a thread on this but I couldn't find one, but if there is please could someone direct me?

So I have read how catnip is supposed to help people with their split ends? I have quite dry hair now it is nearing tailbone so I moisturise with coconut oil and Moroccan hair oil, but I am willing to try new things!

I was interested as to how catnip actually affects the hair strand? And what the active chemicals/ingredients are that actually prevent splits from occurring? I need science to back things up!! :D

Also on the topic of protecting from splits - what has been the most beneficial change you made to your hair that increased growth/shine/volume etc etc.

Many thanks!

Silverbrumby
July 27th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Micro trims.

No heat

Gentle handling esp when wet

End protecting hairstyles

Ashenputtel
July 27th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Here's the thread about catnip http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=476

You may also find a lot of information about that on Ktani's (a former member) personnal blog http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.ca/2009/11/part-3-of-4-on-innovative-approaches-to.html

jeanniet
July 27th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Catnip has worked for quite a few people, but not everyone, so just be aware of that. It makes my hair very dry and coated. Oils don't moisturize--they are essentially sealers that help reduce moisture loss, but they're not going to help if your hair is already dry. Are you using a good moisturizer conditioner?

Preventing splits is a matter of treating hair gently, finding a good moisture/protein balance, and avoiding mechanical damage (wearing hair up, gentle detangling, sleeping on silk, etc.).

Allychan
July 27th, 2013, 07:31 PM
Catnip is loaded with Vitamin E that's why it works

oddelabop
July 28th, 2013, 06:32 AM
Thanks for your responses, I was looking into what it contains before I go ahead and go catnip crazy.

Thanks Allychan, I never realised it had Vitamin E.

Thanks Ashenputtel, I did find that thread, but there was nothing about what catnip actually contains.

Elecita
July 28th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Catnip has Vitamin E, but there are oils that are also packed with it, such as olive, if you prefer to use oils rather than teas or soaks. I have tried catnip teas but I personally prefer not to wet my hair too often, which is why I use oils with similar properties.