PDA

View Full Version : Buns for super thick, BSL hair

Perididdle
July 26th, 2013, 06:40 PM
For some reason the search function on this forum never quite gives me what I'm looking for -- sorry if there's another thread on this!

I found out to my delight that my hair is FINALLY long enough to twist up in a cinnabun and hold up with a stick. It's about BSL. I am tickled pink, but I tried some of the other buns I know of -- nautilus I was especially excited about -- but my hair is so thick that I still run out of length before I can quite get to where I want to. Buns just eat up my hair. Are there styles suggested for somewhat shorter hair that might work for me? Or even buns that use the hair separated into two parts in some manner?

I guess it's time to buy some hair sticks and forks...

jeanniet
July 26th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Try a pencil bun. There's at least one youtube video for it. You probably won't be able to use your whole hand, but try a couple of fingers and you should be able to do it. Also try the lazy wrap. I couldn't do much until about hip, though.

Kaelee
July 26th, 2013, 10:27 PM
I'm beyond BSL (depending on the bra). I do a flipped bun all the time...there's a video somewhere in this forum that I made but I think I need to make an updated version. Cinnabuns are hit or miss for me...LWB or pencil bun, forget it. I think I'll be able to do them at waist.

Magalo
July 26th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Disc bun, Chinese buns all split hair into two, it makes buns with shorter hair easier. :)

Kaelee
July 26th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Disc bun, Chinese buns all split hair into two, it makes buns with shorter hair easier. :)

I just tried the disc bun, and while I doubt that it will work when my hair is dry (that would be too good to be true!!!!!) it's PERFECT right now! Worked the first time!

chen bao jun
July 27th, 2013, 07:35 AM
French twists are not buns but they are great at this length for us thickies.
I find that that top knots work better than lower buns for some reason. The 'hit or miss' becomes 'hit' more often when the bun is really high up on my head. However, I do have the good news that now that my hair has grown just slightly--no longer top of bra strap but down to like the first hook on the bra (happened this month), cinnabuns got easier all at once. That little bit more length makes a difference.
The 'Southern tease' bun works very well for me.
I have been experimenting with hair sticks, and forks. So far what I found with my hair (I'm super curly as well as thick, about a 3C)--chopsticks work great (I sandpapered and nailpolished a few and loving them); two prong hair forks with wide spacing work great--I bought two 60th streets like this and they always hold my hair up solidly (though they are not as comfortable as the chopsticks, sometimes I get 'pull' with them); the Goody 'modern updoes' thingy works great (though not with their 'suggested hairstyles, which hurt like heck--I just use it like a two prong fork when I want invisibility);tried the eadward wood hairstick that he was selling cheap to LHC, epic fail so far, it's too thick and short to be comfortable in my hair, though it is good quality; got a 6 inch ketylo stick, which is like the 60th street forks in that it holds great, when I get it in just right it feels great, but its not as consistently easy to get in just right as the chopsticks. However, the chopsticks do have the drawback that since they are longer, they get in the way sometimes.
My Ficcares hold French twists great and look nice--I actually can use either a medium or large--the large is not too large for me since my hair is so thick. I can tell that by mid-back length medium is not going to do a ficcare french twist for me anymore, it will be too small (but hopefully will work for other buns by then). I do my french twist just as the Ficcare instructions say. You can also do a peacock twist, but I have such damaged ends, I don't like to leave them out even when they are up in the air.

Ashenputtel
July 27th, 2013, 10:50 AM
I'm beyond BSL (depending on the bra). I do a flipped bun all the time...there's a video somewhere in this forum that I made but I think I need to make an updated version. Cinnabuns are hit or miss for me...LWB or pencil bun, forget it. I think I'll be able to do them at waist.

Here's your video.

I also have thick BSL hair that is unfortunately heavy layed. Since I have round face I slighty "pouf" my shorter layers on the top of my hair and secure in the back of my hair with pins. I then do a flipped bun and hide the pins with it.

Sock buns and french twist are also a possibility

chen bao jun
July 27th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Off to try disc bun, too.
Do look up the Southern tease bun. there are several youtube videos on it and it works great and looks good.

chen bao jun
July 27th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Is there a link for video showing disc bun done with shorter hair? the video I found, the woman had at least tail bun, my hair is definitely not long enough at bra strap to do all the complicated winding that she did.

Kaelee
July 27th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Is there a link for video showing disc bun done with shorter hair? the video I found, the woman had at least tail bun, my hair is definitely not long enough at bra strap to do all the complicated winding that she did.

You follow exactly the same steps, just don't wind it as much. I'm happy because I'll be able to do this bun at waist and probably even tail bone if I do grow that far- It should just get easier as my hair gets longer!

I have BSLish hair, I'll do my own video if anyone wants, but I can't do it right now because my hair is soaking wet!

chen bao jun
July 27th, 2013, 06:19 PM
You follow exactly the same steps, just don't wind it as much. I'm happy because I'll be able to do this bun at waist and probably even tail bone if I do grow that far- It should just get easier as my hair gets longer!

I have BSLish hair, I'll do my own video if anyone wants, but I can't do it right now because my hair is soaking wet!
I' d love if you'd do a video when your hair gets dry, thanks!! I just can't envision what I see with my hair length.

Kaelee
July 27th, 2013, 07:10 PM
I' d love if you'd do a video when your hair gets dry, thanks!! I just can't envision what I see with my hair length.

I'll try to remember to make one tomorrow. I'm still getting the hang of this...there's a certain balance I have to get with the tension, since I have super slippery hair! I'm sure it will hold REALLY well when I have waist length or more hair.

ExpectoPatronum
July 28th, 2013, 12:25 AM
I have pretty thick BSL hair...Kinda. My hair is layered a lot so, it thins out pretty fast towards the bottom. However, the disc bun was awesome! I think found a new go-to bun. I love when this forum shows me new things like that.

Kaelee
July 28th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Disc bun is amazing with a Ficcare by the way! (Finally, a cofortable way to wear a maximas!)

curlsgalore
July 28th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Disc bun is amazing with a Ficcare by the way! (Finally, a cofortable way to wear a maximas!)

I will have to try this with my ficcare. I'd never heard of the disc bun until you mentioned it. Thank you :)

Kaelee
July 28th, 2013, 11:13 AM
This video isn't the greatest, but I think you can see it well enough.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/Danmara/th_001_zps152f7693.jpg (http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a133/Danmara/001_zps152f7693.mp4)

chen bao jun
July 29th, 2013, 07:33 PM
Thank you, Kaelee! That made it make sense and I think I can do it now. I appreciate it very much.

Kaelee
July 29th, 2013, 11:27 PM
You're welcome! Sorry the video sucks, ahh I need a cameraman!

hellucy
July 31st, 2013, 12:50 PM
Kaelee Thank you for the tutorial, while watching I did my hair as you were doing yours and hey presto my hair has stayed up & I have a new bun I can do!
I am almost BSL & I can do LWB (my almost-everyday-do), a modified nautilus only when damp at the moment (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohzSsbQhJK8) and now a disc bun.

Kaelee
July 31st, 2013, 10:21 PM
Seashell bun also works, there are tutorials on Youtube. :)

melusine963
August 1st, 2013, 04:42 PM
Thank you, Kaelee! I'll have to add this bun to my repertoire.

Charybdis
August 3rd, 2013, 01:19 PM
I have finally acquired some acrylic hairsticks, and this disc bun works really well. Like Kaelee, my hair is a bit past BSL and too thick (and too layered) to do a LWB securely and comfortably, but this bun is super-comfy and stable.

Thanks for the tip, Kaelee!

Kaelee
August 3rd, 2013, 02:42 PM
Big thanks to whoever came up with the disc bun...someone on another long hair site I think. I don't know, but it's amazing and now that I know how to do it I'm wondering why I didn't think of it (and wishing I knew about it sooner! Oh how much aggravation I could have avoided!)

Unicorn
August 3rd, 2013, 03:29 PM
Another thank you for the disc bun. My hair is still too short for a version that I can wear in public, but it actually works if I just want to have my hair up and out of the way at home. A LWB is just no near attainable, except for a tiny half up. (see my avatar pic...)

My hair is just about brushing waist at the very tips and my circumference is 9". I have locs :) so I get a sea urchin version, but I'm hoping that by the end of the year, I can manage a version that is suitable for a public outing.

Thank you for advocating it Kaelee.

Unicorn

Kaelee
August 3rd, 2013, 04:00 PM
Another thank you for the disc bun. My hair is still too short for a version that I can wear in public, but it actually works if I just want to have my hair up and out of the way at home. A LWB is just no near attainable, except for a tiny half up. (see my avatar pic...)

My hair is just about brushing waist at the very tips and my circumference is 9". I have locs :) so I get a sea urchin version, but I'm hoping that by the end of the year, I can manage a version that is suitable for a public outing.

Thank you for advocating it Kaelee.

Unicorn

Sea urchins are cute!!! There was a guy that came into the store I used to work in, he had locs that he pulled back into a stubby ponytail and they stuck straight out in a perfect little sea urchin ball. ;) It looked really good on him!

Charybdis
August 5th, 2013, 02:34 PM
It seems like I have to keep rewatching the tutorials for the disk bun to get it right -- after success this weekend, I couldn't get it to work securely this morning before work.

What I ended up doing instead was to use the top two-thirds of my hair to make a lazy-wrap bun, secure it with one hairstick, twist the remaining third of my hair and wrap it around the base of the LWB (under the first hairstick), then secure the whole thing with the second hairstick at about a 30-degree angle to the first one. Held like a rock all day long. Reducing the amount of hair in the LWB by about a third seemed to make the whole thing work! Yay for sectioning!

Magalo
August 5th, 2013, 05:35 PM
I suggested the disc bun. :p I'm glad it works so well for everybody!!

Kaelee
August 5th, 2013, 06:11 PM
It seems like I have to keep rewatching the tutorials for the disk bun to get it right -- after success this weekend, I couldn't get it to work securely this morning before work.

What I ended up doing instead was to use the top two-thirds of my hair to make a lazy-wrap bun, secure it with one hairstick, twist the remaining third of my hair and wrap it around the base of the LWB (under the first hairstick), then secure the whole thing with the second hairstick at about a 30-degree angle to the first one. Held like a rock all day long. Reducing the amount of hair in the LWB by about a third seemed to make the whole thing work! Yay for sectioning!

Wow, I'll have to try that!

anitacs9101
August 5th, 2013, 06:43 PM
You could always do one/two-strand ponytailed cinnabun variations such as a rose bun or a braided bun. My hair isn't dreadfully thick but regardless I was unable to do much else until waist came along :P

chen bao jun
August 5th, 2013, 07:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ENoMz42p90

She's speaking French but I don't think you need to understand the words to see what's she's doing. Basically, she's just saying that this is an easy, informal version for everyday and then she describes what she does.
she uses hairpins but at the point where she's holding it and starting to put the first hairpin, you could secure it with a ficcare maximas or flexi 8.
Let me know if this one isn't good for you. But now I remember, the good videos for french rolls were all in French. This lady has brastrap hair and layers so I think it's useful for us, although she's not obviously not an LHC member (because she has a stinky ball bristle brush).
I could also translate it for you, if you need that.

chen bao jun
August 5th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Here's another version with the crazy expensive (but gorgeous) bijoux Manoel. I made knock offs of these by putting gold leaf shaped buttons on amish pins, however, the point is that its another good video, without words this time, showing how to do a French roll. The French roll is called 'chignon banane' in French. I think they show it with several different versions of their hairpins. There are other hairstyles shown. Click on 'chignon banane avec 3 petites epingles Manoel', it's video #4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaKHPs4D1ik&list=PLCAC8732172AD3B08

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaKHPs4D1ik&list=PLCAC8732172AD3B08)

Unicorn
August 6th, 2013, 02:22 PM
I suggested the disc bun. :p I'm glad it works so well for everybody!!

Thank you too :)

Unicorn