PDA

View Full Version : Overwashed hair, advice please

fungo
July 26th, 2013, 03:35 AM
Hi,

I am hoping someone will be able to offer me advice about my hair. I haven't used permanent dye on my hair for a year, but I do still tone my hair with a water based colourant. I used one that turned my white hairs orange and after washing and re washing with silver shampoo and clarifying shampoo I had to retone with a neutral shade. I have fixed the colour but my hair is so dry from the constant washing.

I want to try and maintain this temorary colour as long as possible, I have read that even colour protection shampoos can contain SLS. I am going to try water only washing for a week and see if I can get some natural old back, does CO washing fade hair colour ?

I just want to be able to wash my hair without drying it out and fading my colour .

Sarahlabyrinth
July 26th, 2013, 03:37 AM
Have you tried diluting your shampoo 50/50 with water? It still cleans well but isn't as harsh on your hair.

Anne10
July 26th, 2013, 03:42 AM
How hard is your tap water?

fungo
July 26th, 2013, 03:53 AM
I think I use too much shampoo Sarahlabyrinth

Anne10, I live in a soft water area.

Firefox7275
July 26th, 2013, 04:10 AM
Hi,

I am hoping someone will be able to offer me advice about my hair. I haven't used permanent dye on my hair for a year, but I do still tone my hair with a water based colourant. I used one that turned my white hairs orange and after washing and re washing with silver shampoo and clarifying shampoo I had to retone with a neutral shade. I have fixed the colour but my hair is so dry from the constant washing.

I want to try and maintain this temorary colour as long as possible, I have read that even colour protection shampoos can contain SLS. I am going to try water only washing for a week and see if I can get some natural old back, does CO washing fade hair colour ?

I just want to be able to wash my hair without drying it out and fading my colour .

Have you used a semi permanent (penetrates the cuticle, lasts a few weeks) or temporary (sits in the surface, lasts only a few washes)? Water itself fades water based colours, as does anything else that encourages the cuticle to raise. I hold my semi permanent by washing less frequently/ using dry shampoo, conditioner washing in cool water only, leave in conditioner instead of wash out so I spend less time under the water, acidic products only.

Isilme
July 26th, 2013, 04:13 AM
Take the amount of shampoo you would normally use and reduce it by either 30% or 50% put it in an empty bottle, fill with water and shake. Use this instead or you usual amount. Start here and then see if you can find a gentler shampoo. And if you wash often cut down on that too.

Etna
July 26th, 2013, 04:15 AM
I have heard that the water temperature can make a big difference too. If you wash with cold water you should find you lose less color and your hair feels less dry.

If you CO wash with cold/cool water you might find that helps.

fungo
July 26th, 2013, 04:36 AM
Thanks Firefox, I use a temporary colour which is supposed to last 8 washes, I'm going to try dry shampoo although with the other suggestions.
Isleme, I will try that idea when I do use shampoo :)
Thanks Etna, I will try washing less often with a cool water CO wash.

Etna
July 26th, 2013, 04:40 AM
Let us know how you go. Good luck!

fungo
July 26th, 2013, 05:37 AM
Etna, I have just ordered Faith in Nature meadow foam and hemp shampoo and conditioner, so I can start afresh with my new routine. My plan,

Not washing everyday
Using dry shampoo to space out washing
Co washing with Faith in Nature conditioner and cool water
Washing with watered down Faith in Nature Shamoo once a month before colouring my hair ( I hope this will be enough to clean my hair before I apply my colour deposit only colour )

Wish me luck :)

fungo
July 27th, 2013, 07:48 AM
My conditioner arrived today, smells really fresh :)