PDA

View Full Version : how does your hair feel without oils?

Puchuca
July 25th, 2013, 10:24 PM
I just wash my hair with regular shampoo, damp oil and keep oiling throught the day as needed. But I feel my hair needs more everytime to get that slippery feeling. The hair near my scalp is so soft because of the natural oils of it and I wish I could go WO/SO but because of the hot climate I would stink after a week. Oh, I don't use conditioner because I feel my hair gets tangly.

So my question is, how does your hair feel without oils? Can you survive without it?

gthlvrmx
July 25th, 2013, 11:12 PM
my hair feels bad without it. it feels dry i need oil. i need a lot of ACV too! XD i live in a dry climate and i havent cut my hair in almost 2 years now so it's drier :P it feels better. i dunk my hair in my acv till my ears for like a minute or two and then do both sides :P and pour pour pour all over and let it stay in it. then i damp oil and its good :P super smooth and soft! :D :)
way better to comb and less splits and damage im tired of it XD

using a pure BBB though really helps get more oils down though i love it but i cant get baby oil on my scalp :P so sad but it really does help! my natural oils and the baby oil disperses everywhere and my hair feels so much nicer on the ends later, i don't have those random splits after i do it for a few weeks :P

kpzra
July 25th, 2013, 11:26 PM
I think I'd an oddity around here, I've never oiled my hair and it feels fine. It's soft, shiny, has good movement and doesn't really tangle unless I'm doing something to make it, like trying out new hairstyles outside the norm. I've been meaning to try baby oil but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Leeloo
July 25th, 2013, 11:26 PM
I would have to use some sort of chemical products if I didn't use oil otherwise my hair would be dry.

akilina
July 25th, 2013, 11:31 PM
...of course I can survive without oil..lol.

I had not oiled in a long time consistently. This last few weeks I have consistently done it and boy, what a difference. My hair is actually feeling significantly healthier. It's a great feeling :)

It's okay if you don't like conditioner, I'm not here to try to convince anyone but is it possible you haven't found the right one yet? Particularly, Shea moisture moisture retention conditioner, and deep treatment both leave my hair feeling gross and sticky so I know that feeling. I myself am a cone junkie though and don't care. My hair loves them so I give it what it loves.

Btw, I think that you could go nw/so. It takes much longer than a week to transition. Do you have a boar bristle brush? I adore using one just because of how good it feels on my scalp. There are things you can do to make it not smell so bad, so hopefully someone will chime in with experienced because I will never go nw/so. I tried wo and could not even go thru one week sadly :/

ExpectoPatronum
July 26th, 2013, 12:50 AM
My hair actually doesn't feel bad without oils. It just get's really frizzy. But it still feels soft. I don't know...My hair is really weird. My hair is also fairly shiny on it's own, but I like boosting it with a light coating of oil.

WilfredAllen
July 26th, 2013, 12:59 AM
Better. haha (: Oils weigh my hair down, and if I don't shampoo the same day I apply oil, it starts feeling dry. I use my "natural oils" instead heh heh.

McFearless
July 26th, 2013, 01:08 AM
My virgin hair is fine without oil so long as I use a rich conditioner, but it is improved when I do use it. Perhaps you should shop around for the right conditioner for your hair type. It shouldn't tangle rather give you the slip you're looking for.

CurlMonster
July 26th, 2013, 02:13 AM
My hair feels frizzy, tangly and dry without oils. I think I use more oils than most, since I wear my hair in a braid all the time it doesn't matter to me if it's oily. I always feel a little embarrassed when I hear others talk about how they apply their oil: "just enough to make my hands a little shiny spread over all of my hair". I pour a little puddle into my hand and run it through my hair. I usually use about 2 palmfuls on damp hair and then add more throughout the week as I need it. :p It's because of using oil that my bleached and heat damaged hair is bearable though.

flemeister
July 26th, 2013, 03:25 AM
I go swimming 2-3 times a week, so my hair would be dry and frizzy without any coconut oil in it. It doesn't tangle too much though, thankfully.

I used to really slather it on before and after swimming, but for the past two weeks I've used just a teeny bit each time. Just enough to coat the ends, and then a teeny bit more near the roots and mid-length to tame the frizzies. This way I can leave the oil in for days at a time (with just a warm water rinse in the shower each day, until shampooing it all 2-3 days later) without it smelling bad, since the hair soaks it all up leaving very little or none sitting lonely on the surface. :)

Firefox7275
July 26th, 2013, 04:43 AM
I just wash my hair with regular shampoo, damp oil and keep oiling throught the day as needed. But I feel my hair needs more everytime to get that slippery feeling. The hair near my scalp is so soft because of the natural oils of it and I wish I could go WO/SO but because of the hot climate I would stink after a week. Oh, I don't use conditioner because I feel my hair gets tangly.

So my question is, how does your hair feel without oils? Can you survive without it?

I wouldn't survive without oils if I did not use conditioner. If that makes your hair tangly you have been using the wrong products for your hair type or getting build up. If you want to hold onto the natural oils that are integral to the structure of virgin hair (not simply sebum which sits on the surface) wash your scalp with gentler products like conditioner only. Many shampoos are indescriminate: they will remove oils/ lipids from the surface (sebum), but also the oils/ lipids in the 'glue' that holds the protective cuticle layer together, oils/ lipids and proteins that are found in the cortex of the hair, weakening and damaging it overall. No oil can replace everything that is lost through shampooing.

Smelly scalps occur because there are imbalances that allow undesirable bacteria to flourish, if you use only acidic products, avoid harsher surfactants and eat a nutrient dense anti inflammatory diet you are likely to avoid this problem. Humans evolved without shampoo and in hot climates, using other methods to cleanse their hair and body.

NoRush
July 26th, 2013, 04:52 AM
Mostly, without oil what I experience is tangles and a bit of stiffness but my hair needs a break from oils from time to time. I start having horrible hair days, where it gets tangly and sticky and generally icky and I know I have to let off the oils for a while, usually a week or two and then I go back to oiling. :shrug:

kpzra
July 26th, 2013, 11:02 AM
I should say I always use conditioner though but only in the shower (no leave-in). I agree about finding the right products for your hair, conditioner should not be causing it to tangle.

jacqueline101
July 26th, 2013, 11:35 AM
My hair hasn't been oiled in a while and feels fine I use cones.

ravenreed
July 26th, 2013, 12:07 PM
I don't regularly use oils. I CO and my hair feels very smooth and sleek. I only use oils if my hair feels a little drier than normal because they cause more tangles by attracting lint and whatnot.

Sharysa
July 26th, 2013, 12:27 PM
My hair technically does okay without almond oil, but it tangles a LOT MORE and it's harder to style because it either dries out or frizzes faster depending on the weather.

Now that it's summer, I'm DEFINITELY not stopping the oil.

RileyJane
July 26th, 2013, 12:30 PM
I feel like my hair could be in a before and after shot of hair. With oils, my hair is consistently soft, almost perfectly smooth and just all around shiny. Without oil... The last few inches can get dry, frizzy and just blah

jeanniet
July 26th, 2013, 12:48 PM
I really only use a bit of oil to give my hair a little shine and softness--maybe a drop or two--and not always daily. Every once in a while I do a heavier coconut oiling. I rely on conditioners for moisture, and the oil is more like a serum since I don't use cones.

Tori Angeli
July 28th, 2013, 10:14 AM
I'm a daily heavy oiler ever since I gave up cones. This makes it so it takes less than a minute (on average, less than 30 seconds) to detangle my wavy hair. Either sweet almond or coconut oil (coconut oil is a more intense treatment and used about once a week, whereas my daily oilings tend to be with the SAO, which absorbs faster) for at least an hour before I wash. This and CO-washing have reduced my frizzpuff to nearly nothing, but without oil or cones, detangling was a horrible pain.

Kiwiwi
July 28th, 2013, 10:40 AM
I always wear my hair up. But ofcourse I take it down and redo it a few times a day. If I don't use oils as a leave in my hair tangles a lot. So I end up ripping hairs out while brushing. It's not cool. So I always, always use oil as a leave in. Apply it after my wash on damp hair, put it up and it's fine. And then when I redo my hair I can brush it so easily :)
I love oils.

jessokitty
July 28th, 2013, 12:48 PM
I use oils on damp hair to seal in moisture but it's not 100% necessary for my hair since my coney conditioner coats it. The ends are a bit dry so the oil just helps protect them as well.

teal
July 28th, 2013, 01:40 PM
My hair feels a bit naked if I wash and don't put a bit of oil in to detangle and smooth. That said, I do lose volume and swish with oils in. I usually wear my hair up so I usually have oils in.

battles
July 28th, 2013, 03:54 PM
I don't use oil. No matter what I do with it, no matter the amount, it just sits on my hair and looks like.. well, like I poured oil on it. :p I think other hair types are more suited to oil than mine. I tend to use shea butter based products and deep treatments.

Alexblue
July 29th, 2013, 12:33 AM
I started to oil when I first joined LHC and it made the single biggest difference to the softness of my hair. Since then I've kept it up; however, more because the oils I use smell divine and also to help cut down the frizz in humid weather. Luckily my hair is soft with no oils, but they are still a nice treat :blossom:

stachelbeere
July 29th, 2013, 02:26 AM
you could try WO and ACV rinses, it's extremely hot nowadays and that routine works well for me :)

nobeltonya
July 29th, 2013, 12:33 PM
I've been regularly oiling with coconut oil for the past 3 years now, and only recently (and while it's hot) am I not really oiling at all.. but, I've also been using Suave Professionals lower sulphate shampoo and Aussie Miraculously Smooth conditioner. In the winter, or once it starts getting cooler again, I will start back to oiling like every other night and go back to my regular sulphate shampoo (Dabur Vatika or Sunsilk) and switch to Herbal Essences Hello Hydration conditioner. In the summer, the oil seems to clog my pores too much and makes my hair more frizzy and weighs it down too much.. but in the winter it loves it. :) And this is the first time I've changed my routine in 2 years.. I just dealt with the heavy frizziness in the summer. Now I know how to combat it. :disco:

NataschaB.
July 29th, 2013, 01:24 PM
It really depends on which shampoo and conditioner I use. Yes, I can live without using oil - but I'd rather not, haha. It just feels better, softer and it doesn't tangle as much when I use it. I'm in love with SAO :D

Killahkurlz
July 29th, 2013, 01:28 PM
no. not ever if I want healthy hair with length. my scalp would be dry and without oil waterbased moisturizers would just evaporate and my hair would become dry amd brittle. bye bye ends. well, I guess I could cowash everyday...