PDA

View Full Version : part and density question for curly haired girls

mamaherrera
July 25th, 2013, 11:56 AM
I just wonder what's the best way to get an accurate measure of a curly hair-ed girl, trying to compress as much as possible. In a tight ponytail, just measuring around the band, I get 3.75 " but if I pull my string tighter, I can get 3.5 and if my husband uses his manly power, he can get as low as 3.25, but hoe much should you tighten that poor hair?? After a certain tightness, it must start to compact hairs over other hairs, no???? Also, should a curly hair do it on wet hair to get an accurate estimate??? Plus, I would love people to share pics of their part, I get really self-conscious of mine, especially in those little tv cameras at like "Taco Bell" it looks huge. Would you all please check it out and let me know if it looks normal?? Its been like this for as long as I've been paying attention. Thankshttp://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=11167&attachmentid=5463

curlytwirlykate
July 25th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Hm. I had this same question while trying to measure the density of my hair.

Lucky you, though! My largest ponytail is just over 1". I bet your 3-4" hair looks gorgeous!

Also, I can't see the photo, so I can't answer your part question. I'm so sorry!

chen bao jun
July 25th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Don't know. Mine can compress but doesn't compress smaller than 4.25. (It's somewhere between 4.25-5_ However if its straightened, chemically or with a flat iron, it gets smaller, I forget how much smaller, haven't straightened in a long time and certainly not going to do it to measure my ponytail! So far as I can tell, this is kind of an academic question, whether curly or straight, you know if you have thick hair, I'm not sure that knowing exactly how thick matters...you know if you're a hair clip buster. Which I am when I straighten, too--I wore my hair artificially straightened a good half of my life and still could not keep it under control..
Thank god for LHC and discovering things like Ficcares and flexi-8s and spin pins and Amish pins and good hair sticks. I can't believe how easy it is to put my hair up nowadays (and how lovely it is to have bid hairstylists a permanent goodbye. and if you're thick AND curly, you know exactly why I made that last remark, it's not being nasty, but beauty school does not teach them how to cope with us..)

spirals
July 25th, 2013, 01:43 PM
I don't flat-iron, but by the third day after a wash, my hair is pretty straight. I've measured it "straight" and curly, and there's only a 1/4" difference. I just classify myself as iii because it's right at 4" and I have enough hair to give me ponytail headaches.

mamaherrera
July 25th, 2013, 01:44 PM
yes I knew the photo didn't work. Here's it hard, if you care to see, it's in my album of pics, that you can see. I just wondered if other's parts looks similar. But yea that's a big compression difference, from 4. 25-5, and if it gets smaller when flatironed, then mine sounds like normal as far as the mega changes from different treatments to it, but how do you measure it just, the tightest, or just with the band, or how do you think is the accurate way for us?? The thing with me, is that yeah my ponytail can measure 3.75, but then if I do a braid, you see how little hair it must be, because my braid is small. My daughter can measure the same as me, but her braid is humongous. I think I probably have medium thick strands and lower density, which the thickness of the strands bumps it up a bit. That's why I had asked about the part. . . check it out if you want to like I said, it's on my album

Firefox7275
July 26th, 2013, 05:18 AM
Last time I measured my ponytail circumference I did it on dry hair that had been 'straightened' by ponytailing when wet and then air drying. I don't part my hair, combs make a mess of my curl pattern and give me a flat top. If you think there may be an issue with your hair see your family doctor or a dermatologist.

Beborani
July 26th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Mamaherrera, your parts look fine to me. Dark hair contrasting with lighter skin at scalp makes it more visible. Also, measure circumference the same way to remain consistent--unless you are fearing hair loss, you may not need to do this more than once a year if that. It is good to have a ballpark figure when your hair is in relstively good condition when young (pre menopause counts as young) so that if you see changes later you will have a reference point. Also, hairline patterns may vary but everyone has fine hair near temple--it is not a cause for concern--I saw you had some pics.

mamaherrera
July 28th, 2013, 11:20 AM
Thanks so much for taking your time and giving me a vote of confidence. I wish I would've had a ponytail measurement when I was like 14, but of course I had no clue, but my parents and husband says my hair looks the same to it. It's just different when you start wearing it curly, treating it differently with lots of conditioner, no brush, etc, your hair changes, and volume does too. Never looked at my part or cared before, but when i started having a big shed a few years ago, all these things worried me, but if it looks normal, and things have improved I think as far as shedding, it helps to know everything looks good and thanks for looking at my temples, that too bothered me. Thanks so much!!
andrea

Mamaherrera, your parts look fine to me. Dark hair contrasting with lighter skin at scalp makes it more visible. Also, measure circumference the same way to remain consistent--unless you are fearing hair loss, you may not need to do this more than once a year if that. It is good to have a ballpark figure when your hair is in relstively good condition when young (pre menopause counts as young) so that if you see changes later you will have a reference point. Also, hairline patterns may vary but everyone has fine hair near temple--it is not a cause for concern--I saw you had some pics.

jeanniet
July 28th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Honestly, I don't think knowing your exact thickness/density really matters that much. Most people have a pretty good idea, in terms of "Wow, you have a lot of hair!", "How do I keep my hair from being so wild?", "Too much product weighs my hair down," etc. So the measurement at any given time is not as significant as the overall range. The times I've been curious enough to measure, my circumference has been anywhere from as low as 4.5" to maybe 5.5" or higher. Whether that's been due to the level of moisture in the air, my measuring technique, or what, I don't know. It's all too imprecise for me, lol. I know my hair is thick/high density, so that's what I say it is. Anyway, my advice would be to quit measuring. Now, if you want to count all the hairs in a square inch, that would be pretty accurate. Even I'm not neurotic enough to do that!

I saw your part pics over at NC. I think it looks fine. Agree that contrast can make a part look bigger (and flash does, too, btw). What matters is change over time. So don't worry.

mamaherrera
July 28th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Thanks, I appreciate Jeanniet for your feedback! I get a little overconsumed with my hair at times, like I said, as I child I never did because I was always told how much hair I have. I don't hear that much anymore, but I think it was the poofiness of me not knowing how to care for it, and now that i let it do it's thing (clump) and take better care, that volume was just like many said, illusional and caused me to go some illusions of my own!! Thanks

jeanniet
July 28th, 2013, 09:35 PM
Yes, I think that's a lot of it--I mean the poof. Once you learn how to manage curly hair better, you have less volume because you know how to weigh it down better, but you don't have less hair.

mamaherrera
July 29th, 2013, 10:35 PM
thanks, your thoughts make me feel so much better!! God bless you all, buenas noches!