PDA

View Full Version : Hair Type?

Delphi
July 25th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Hi, everyone,

I always thought I had "straight hair" with "a little wave", so I guessed my hair type was 1B/1C, but yesterday I collected my shedded hair and checked them, only to discover NONE of them are straight! From the hair type chart (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-UJPWY4msfDo/T9ao3inVmKI/AAAAAAAAAUE/qheiTRcufb8/s320/Hair-Types-Chart.jpg) I found on the internet each strand appears to be 2A to 2C, but when I looked at my hair overall it seemed to be fairly straight but very frizzy to me. What would you say my hair type is?

Edit: The straightest wave look like 2A and each "S" is 8 inches. The majority of them look like 2B, each "S" is 3 inches; and the crinkliest are 2C, each "S" is 2 inches.

Sorry, I took the photo with a potato and the lighting is bad...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-JMWvWZSz6wc/UfE_FPxYpNI/AAAAAAAADvI/6OZJM8PbVi4/w312-h595-no/IMG_20130724_234226.jpg

DarkCurls
July 25th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Definitely in the 1s for me, your hair doesn't look at all wavy in that picture. I would say 1b, but I'm not very skilled at typing 1s.

Is your hair brushed in that picture, or allowed to dry untouched?

nobeltonya
July 25th, 2013, 09:52 AM
I would say 1A/B. :disco:

Anje
July 25th, 2013, 09:54 AM
1B. The chart is directed mainly at curlies, and it doesn't indicate the wavelength, which I think is an important factor.

Oh, congratulations on taking the photo with a potato. I didn't know you could do that and would love a tutorial!XD

gingerclip
July 25th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Looks like a 1B to me, but I'm a newbie.

luxepiggy
July 25th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Based on that photo alone, I would say 1b/1c, but if your hair is very frizzy, you may be less straight than you think. How did you wash/dry your hair before taking the photo?

Your hair is lovely, by the way (^(oo)~)

Nightshade
July 25th, 2013, 10:06 AM
1B. The chart is directed mainly at curlies, and it doesn't indicate the wavelength, which I think is an important factor.

Oh, congratulations on taking the photo with a potato. I didn't know you could do that and would love a tutorial!XD

I agree with 1B and also would like to learn the nuances of potato photography!

Delphi
July 25th, 2013, 10:09 AM
Definitely in the 1s for me, your hair doesn't look at all wavy in that picture. I would say 1b, but I'm not very skilled at typing 1s.

Is your hair brushed in that picture, or allowed to dry untouched?

I untangled my hair with a wide tooth comb then left it to dry. In this picture it's probably a weebit damp still but I was going to bed so I couldn't wait longer...

Edit: actually, I left it dry after combing it then I brushed it. It's brushed.

cranberrymoonz
July 25th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Based on that photo alone, I would say 1b/1c, but if your hair is very frizzy, you may be less straight than you think. How did you wash/dry your hair before taking the photo?

This is very important. It is best to type hair that you let dry without brushing or touching it. Just after you've clarified is even better, so there are no cones or residue to weigh the waves down.

Delphi
July 25th, 2013, 10:19 AM

Your hair is lovely, by the way (^(oo)~)

Thank you! I always feel like my hair doesn't shine but I'm realizing it's because the curlies reflect light differently.

My hair is very frizzy and there are a lot of curlies hidden inside. The straightest of my hair has an S curve spanning 8 inches (4 inches per C), and the curliest have curves spanning 2 inches (1 inch per C). It looks a lot straighter than that wen they're together though.

Beborani
July 25th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Double post, sorry

Beborani
July 25th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Very interesting chart and experiment. I checked some of my shed hair and each hair strand has wave pattern ranging from 2a to 3c which is the exact pattern on my head too. Makes me wonder if the hair is curling more due to damage as i was flat ironing until a year ago and my hair is curly from that point onwards.
Your hair looks straighter due to weak adhesive interactions between strands of hair that hold them together. And it is is healthy all the way to the tip.

Leeloo
July 25th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Looks like 1b. Great photo for a potato :thumbsup:

jacqueline101
July 25th, 2013, 01:16 PM
I agree the products we use and methods make it appear different.

leslissocool
July 26th, 2013, 03:14 AM
You can see my in my signature, I'm a 2b-2c. Your hair looks definitively more on the 1b range to me. 2b-2c has ringlets and spirals when short, my hair is heavy so it made it straighter, but It's definitively in wavy realm. If I were to look at each strand, my l I would be put in 3's but as a whole it's not that curly.

from that picture, I don't see frizz :shrug:.

Delphi
July 26th, 2013, 10:40 AM
You can see my in my signature, I'm a 2b-2c. Your hair looks definitively more on the 1b range to me. 2b-2c has ringlets and spirals when short, my hair is heavy so it made it straighter, but It's definitively in wavy realm. If I were to look at each strand, my l I would be put in 3's but as a whole it's not that curly.

from that picture, I don't see frizz :shrug:.

Yeah, I think I'm still a 1B/1C. If you say your curls on their own are in the 3's but together are 2's, then it totally makes sense that I'm in the 1's. I think my standards are skewed because all of my friends have perfectly slick 1A hair so I feel like my hair is super frizzy. My hair is pretty frizzy though. If you look at it from the side you'll see a lot of curls popping out. In the picture for some reason it doesn't show.

Forgot to say, I mainly want to know because I need to figure out how to get rid of this stupid friz. I'm trying the curly girl method without much success.

leslissocool
July 26th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Yeah, I think I'm still a 1B/1C. If you say your curls on their own are in the 3's but together are 2's, then it totally makes sense that I'm in the 1's. I think my standards are skewed because all of my friends have perfectly slick 1A hair so I feel like my hair is super frizzy. My hair is pretty frizzy though. If you look at it from the side you'll see a lot of curls popping out. In the picture for some reason it doesn't show.

Forgot to say, I mainly want to know because I need to figure out how to get rid of this stupid friz. I'm trying the curly girl method without much success.

Have you tried Kimberly's defriz spray (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-277.html)? I'd try that along with the Tangle teezer and heavier oils (like castor). The tangle teezer cut down my friz a lot. If you live in high humidity frizz might be just unavoidable :lol:. You could try steam and damp bunning, that can help a lot with frizz.

Delphi
July 26th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Have you tried Kimberly's defriz spray (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-277.html)? I'd try that along with the Tangle teezer and heavier oils (like castor). The tangle teezer cut down my friz a lot. If you live in high humidity frizz might be just unavoidable :lol:. You could try steam and damp bunning, that can help a lot with frizz.

Kk! Thank you. I fully intend to try the defrizz spray but I'm taking Ursula's advice and waiting until the end of August before I buy aloe vera gel. Which aloe vera gel do you buy?

I live in California so it's really dry, but right now I am trying Shea butter to see if it will help.

kitschy
July 26th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Nevermind - misunderstood the poll.

hypersensitive
July 26th, 2013, 10:47 PM
Ahh! Chi!! I love the avatar photo <3 <3 <3

OK. After washing with clarifying shampoo and no touching it while it is air drying, my hair is considered type 1b. I have a little flip at the ends but for the most part is it straight with lots of body.

No brushing the hair for an accurate hair typing picture!! No wide tooth combing or finger combing either! No manipulation at all while it dries naturally! You will lose any potential wave pattern in the hair if you do!

hypersensitive
July 26th, 2013, 10:51 PM
Thank you! I always feel like my hair doesn't shine but I'm realizing it's because the curlies reflect light differently.

My hair is very frizzy and there are a lot of curlies hidden inside. The straightest of my hair has an S curve spanning 8 inches (4 inches per C), and the curliest have curves spanning 2 inches (1 inch per C). It looks a lot straighter than that wen they're together though.

If you have an S curve, then the 1s are not for you.

Delphi
July 26th, 2013, 11:01 PM
Ahh! Chi!! I love the avatar photo <3 <3 <3

OK. After washing with clarifying shampoo and no touching it while it is air drying, my hair is considered type 1b. I have a little flip at the ends but for the most part is it straight with lots of body.

No brushing the hair for an accurate hair typing picture!! No wide tooth combing or finger combing either! No manipulation at all while it dries naturally! You will lose any potential wave pattern in the hair if you do!

Kk! I will do this. I'm washing my hair again tomorrow, but maybe I'll do it on Sunday afternoon so I'll have plenty of time to leave it alone.

I have a piece of hair I taped to my wall because I want to see if the curl will come out, and it's not coming out. The whole strand is kind of a 2A curl. I'm considering the Japanese hair straightening thing but it's expensive and damaging. I just really want slick 1A hair for once in my life though, even if it's just one year.

Delphi
July 26th, 2013, 11:05 PM
If you have an S curve, then the 1s are not for you.

It does look "fairly straight" when they're all together though. Every time I go to salons the hair dressers are a bit shocked to see waves underneath. They're always like, "Huh, you have natural waves. o_o?" I grew up in Taiwan and they're always pretty shocked.

Maybe I have the cursed 1C/2A hair. lol. I'm thinking if it ends up that I actually do have just "wavy hair" instead of "straight hair", then I need a whole new approach to hair and learn to deal with it.

leslissocool
July 26th, 2013, 11:58 PM
California is VERY humid right now actually, so expect frizz :lol:.

Don't straighten your hair! It's very damaging and your hair looks amazing already! You could probably wrap your hair and get it pitch straight. I had success wrapping.

Just go through methods until one sticks. I love damp bunning it brings out the waves like no other.

WilfredAllen
July 27th, 2013, 01:08 AM
1c...but I'm mostly curious about how you took a photo with a potato. It seemed to turn pretty well!

Delphi
July 28th, 2013, 11:39 AM
1c...but I'm mostly curious about how you took a photo with a potato. It seemed to turn pretty well!

Hehe. It's an expression for taking a photo with a crappy phone camera (http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/recorded-with-a-potato).

Bellechevelure
July 29th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Oups, in the poll I choose 2B but I think it's more 1B!