PDA

View Full Version : Sweat drying out hair? Or something?

Nedertane
July 24th, 2013, 10:37 PM
It sounds counter-intuitive, doesn't it? I mean, sweat is part water and sebum, so it should moisturize the hair to some degree, shouldn't it? I'm thinking not.

For a couple weeks over this summer, I thought I was doing something wrong with my hair regimen - too much shampoo, not enough shampoo, too much protein, not enough protein, something - because it wasn't behaving so well. It would feel dry, yet kind of coated, very straw-like, and would get bad end knots/velcro-ends. However, now that it's taken a break from being so abysmally hot and humid outside, I'm not sweating as much, and guess what? I don't see these symptoms, and my hair is nice and smooth, and behaves properly.

Has anyone else noticed a sort of pseudo-drying or buildup effect from summer sweat? I just wonder what it might be about profuse sweating to cause my hair to act like this.

Leeloo
July 24th, 2013, 10:52 PM
I'm not sure how that works but it sounds like heat humidity and sweat opened up the hair cuticle.

Thinthondiel
July 24th, 2013, 11:05 PM
Sebum and sweat are created in different glands, and I would think sweat production doesn't affect sebum production(?) So there's not necessarily a whole lot of it mixed in with your sweat.

Also, there is salt in sweat, which is drying, and I know that at least for skin, water can be drying if it doesn't have anything to bind/seal it (it takes with it some of the moisture that was already in the skin when it evaporates), and I'm assuming the same goes for hair.

Nedertane
July 24th, 2013, 11:15 PM
Also, there is salt in sweat, which is drying, and I know that at least for skin, water can be drying if it doesn't have anything to bind/seal it (it takes with it some of the moisture that was already in the skin when it evaporates), and I'm assuming the same goes for hair.

The second part in particular makes sense since the effects seem to take hold after the sweat has dried from my hair. Hmm...

lapushka
July 25th, 2013, 08:38 AM
Sebum and sweat are created in different glands, and I would think sweat production doesn't affect sebum production(?) So there's not necessarily a whole lot of it mixed in with your sweat.

If that were true, and it was as drying, everyone with oily hair would shout hallelujah! The solution to too much oil on my scalp!

Firefox7275
July 26th, 2013, 05:46 AM
It sounds counter-intuitive, doesn't it? I mean, sweat is part water and sebum, so it should moisturize the hair to some degree, shouldn't it? I'm thinking not.

For a couple weeks over this summer, I thought I was doing something wrong with my hair regimen - too much shampoo, not enough shampoo, too much protein, not enough protein, something - because it wasn't behaving so well. It would feel dry, yet kind of coated, very straw-like, and would get bad end knots/velcro-ends. However, now that it's taken a break from being so abysmally hot and humid outside, I'm not sweating as much, and guess what? I don't see these symptoms, and my hair is nice and smooth, and behaves properly.

Has anyone else noticed a sort of pseudo-drying or buildup effect from summer sweat? I just wonder what it might be about profuse sweating to cause my hair to act like this.

Do you have porous hair and are there humectants in your conditioner?

Sebum and sweat are two different things. Salts in sweat are potentially drying think what sea water/ beach sprays do to hair; sebum is not moisturising (add or increase water) it is oily so occlusive/ anti humectant/ water repellent. You might also be feeling the effects of excess water in the air around your head: water makes hair swell, cuticle raise, hair more tangly and porous hair is particularly susceptible to these negative effects. Many people do benefit from different haircare products in humid weather.

Nedertane
July 27th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Do you have porous hair and are there humectants in your conditioner?

Sebum and sweat are two different things. Salts in sweat are potentially drying think what sea water/ beach sprays do to hair; sebum is not moisturising (add or increase water) it is oily so occlusive/ anti humectant/ water repellent. You might also be feeling the effects of excess water in the air around your head: water makes hair swell, cuticle raise, hair more tangly and porous hair is particularly susceptible to these negative effects. Many people do benefit from different haircare products in humid weather.

I have no idea if I have porous hair (how do you test that without dye?) and I think there might be humectants in my conditioner, but I'm not certain. Like I said, my hair's fine now that it isn't so horrifically hot and humid outside, but are there any regimen/product changes you could suggest for future reference?

swearnsue
July 27th, 2013, 01:39 PM
I've been getting the same thing with my hair and I was wondering if it was caused by sweat. The only thing I've found that helps is washing more often. My hair starts feeling dry and almost sticky, but not, more like stiff and not soft.

I feel like I need a baking soda treatment, just a gentle one soon followed by an oiling.

Thinthondiel
July 27th, 2013, 02:32 PM
If that were true, and it was as drying, everyone with oily hair would shout hallelujah! The solution to too much oil on my scalp!

But oil isn't moisture, so just because something is drying doesn't mean that it'll remove oil.

Firefox7275
July 27th, 2013, 03:20 PM
I have no idea if I have porous hair (how do you test that without dye?) and I think there might be humectants in my conditioner, but I'm not certain. Like I said, my hair's fine now that it isn't so horrifically hot and humid outside, but are there any regimen/product changes you could suggest for future reference?

There are DIY tests for porosity none of which are scientific. Personally I prefer the approach of understanding your hairs reactions to, say, hydrolysed protein and penetrating oils, and common sense (eg. mine is colour treated).

Please don't do baking soda, there is no such thing as a gentle one. Fine hair usually does very well with hydrolysed protein.