PDA

View Full Version : Microtrimming?

DrachenBelladon
July 24th, 2013, 07:35 PM
I was wondering if it's better to micro-trim your hair as it grows, or just literally chop the weak ends after growing past the growth you previously wanted? I have layers and I want to grow them in one length and later - if I have sufficient length - get a very blunt, straight cut. My hair is below BSL, almost looks mid back, you can see the length in my avatar. :confused:

DrachenBelladon
July 24th, 2013, 09:54 PM
Come on, guys, I need some help.

amanda_the_tall
July 24th, 2013, 09:56 PM
It depends on what your routine is, and what kind of hair you have. If you heat style or have a lot of mechanical damage, you're more likely to want to do smaller trims. What is your hair/routine like?

Leeloo
July 24th, 2013, 10:57 PM
You will get thicker hemline and generally less damage on the ends if you micro trim since you'll be cutting of the damage more often and won't let it get too bad. So if you want blunt hemline I vote micro trimming ;)

ravenreed
July 24th, 2013, 11:18 PM
My hair used to be really split-prone so I microtrimmed all the time to keep up with them. I found that my ends were nicer, I had fewer tangles, and fewer splits when I did that, rather than waiting longer and doing bigger chops.

DrachenBelladon
July 25th, 2013, 12:29 AM
It depends on what your routine is, and what kind of hair you have. If you heat style or have a lot of mechanical damage, you're more likely to want to do smaller trims. What is your hair/routine like?

I use no hot tools, I ditched them a year ago, but to be honest I used my flat iron once a month, BUT NO MORE. My hair is thin/medium and is healthy. I oil often and haven't trimmed my hair 5 months. The hair is in layers and ends are getting pretty 'snaggy'. The only abuse on my hair would be too tight hairstyles. (I cannot stand hair in my face) The routine is simple, oil hair with coconut oil, leave it overnight, co-wash; oil the next day, then shampoo. It's a pattern throughout the week. The only styling I do is braid it down my back and let it out in the morning.

DrachenBelladon
July 25th, 2013, 12:32 AM
Thanks, Ravenreed, Leeloo, & Amanda_the-tall: I'll go with mirco-trimming, better have a shorter length that's visibly healthy than have extremely long hair with the tips looking like straws. Thanks a bunch, I appreciate it. guys :)

Rebecka
July 25th, 2013, 01:43 AM
You can always do 50-50! Trim of half of your growth, like chop of 2 cm every 3th month. I have been thinking a lot about doing that :P

DrachenBelladon
July 25th, 2013, 10:27 AM
Thanks, Rebecka, I think I'll do just that :)

jacqueline101
July 25th, 2013, 01:07 PM
I don't suffer from splits and I microteimmed to get rid of layers. I have a few more inches to go.

DrachenBelladon
July 26th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Thanks, Jacqueline for your reply, I appreciate the wisdom ;)

Lolaaa
July 26th, 2013, 01:25 PM
Another vote for microtrimming!

Robot Ninja
July 26th, 2013, 01:45 PM
You can always do 50-50! Trim of half of your growth, like chop of 2 cm every 3th month. I have been thinking a lot about doing that :P This is what I do. I trim 1/4 inch every month or so. I find it a nice compromise between gaining length and getting rid of damage, and it keeps my ends from looking too scraggly.