PDA

View Full Version : Oil Rush! I'm confused.

pippi_plum
July 24th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Okay, I hear that many of you use coconut oil a lot. My first impression is that it helps to keep the hair moisturized. But then I read that it only "coats" the hair? So what good is it really? What does it actually do, in the long run and short term to the hair?
Also, what oils, if any, actually penetrate the hair shaft? And if there are some that do, what good are they providing for your hair?
I'm not trying to be difficult, I just don't understand. My hair is dry, dry, dry, frizzy and recently very damaged (for another post) and I need something to get in there moisturize and smooth it. What would be my best bet for a leave in?:(
Please help.

Mesmerise
July 24th, 2013, 04:13 PM
I believe coconut oil DOES penetrate the hair shaft (as, I think, jojoba oil does). Most other oils just coat it (which can be protective, of course).

Tori Angeli
July 24th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Oils like coconut oil and sweet almond oil do penetrate the hair shaft. While they don't add water, they act as emollients to add shine and elasticity. Or, if a few drops are used on damp hair, they can act as a sealant to trap the water in. Personally, I find that oil works better on my hair when my hair is dry, so the oil has "room" to soak in (using it as an emollient), but some others find it best to use on damp hair (as a sealant).

Isidith
July 24th, 2013, 04:18 PM
I've read coconut, olive and avacado are really good for penetrating the shaft. I use coconut olive most times or if i want something even deeper i use oil. I put sweet almond oil or aragan oil on the tips for everyday moisture as i find it lighter in small amounts..

Leeloo
July 24th, 2013, 04:22 PM
I’d suggest doing heavy oiling with coconut oil and avocado oil (equal parts) plus some castor oil and emu oil (emu oil also penetrates hair shaft like coconut oil) for an hour before wash. You’ll have to put a warm towel around your head and keep heating it with a hair drier or use a heating cap. I got much better results from coconut oil with heat. Or even better, you can leave all these oils on your hair overnight and then do an hour with heat and then wash.

TheMechaGinger
July 24th, 2013, 04:26 PM
Coconut oil does penetrate hair and studies have shown that it can help with protein loss. I like to dampen my hair with a spray bottle and then smooth a few drops over my hair from the ears down. This seals in moisture for me (I live in the desert, moisture is crucial right now) and keeps my hair soft and limits breakage. It works on dry hair as well though. I really like vatika oil as a leave in but if I don't have any I used just plain unrefined coconut oil.

pippi_plum
July 24th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Ahhh, so coconut does penetrate the shaft, but it doesn't add moisture? So would it be better to use it on wet/damp hair for those of us with dry hair? I have been using it, but only on dry hair and I honestly haven't seen any difference in my hair once I shampoo it out. Also, it's quite heavy for my very fine hair as a everyday leave in.. really makes my hair greasy. And if I just use a tiny dollup, it kinda just sits there. LOL
Maybe my hair is beyond help.

jeanniet
July 24th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Oils are good for holding in moisture, but if your hair is dry you need to be using more than just oil. Can you tell us what your current routine is? You may need to be using different products, leave ins, etc.

Isidith
July 24th, 2013, 04:34 PM
I’d suggest doing heavy oiling with coconut oil and avocado oil (equal parts) plus some castor oil and emu oil (emu oil also penetrates hair shaft like coconut oil) for an hour before wash. You’ll have to put a warm towel around your head and keep heating it with a hair drier or use a heating cap. I got much better results from coconut oil with heat. Or even better, you can leave all these oils on your hair overnight and then do an hour with heat and then wash.

I have never used emu oil before but i have seen it at my health food store. I have debated trying it, but it seems really expensive for a small bottle. Would you say it is really worth the investment?

Leeloo
July 24th, 2013, 04:35 PM
I like jojoba oil as a leave in better then coconut oil. It also makes my hair greasy (coconut oil that is). I just use 5 drops of jojoba oil after wash (I have MBL hair) and it doesn’t make my hair greasy.

DarkCurls
July 24th, 2013, 04:35 PM
I suppose it depends. I have dry hair, and coconut oil is a lifesaver. I use a lot of iton dry hair, pre-wash, usually left on overnight and my hair loves it. I don't know how it works, but it leaves my hair softer. But it doesn't work for everyone. I don't much like oil as a leave-in, unless it's going into an updo as it makes my curls clump oddly and weighs my hair down; but some people swear by it. If you've tried it and didn't like it, then maybe it's not for you. You could always try different oils (different people like different oils; I loved coconut and sweet almond but avocado felt drying and olive oil is a bit too heavy, for example), or not.

For a moisture boost, maybe try an SMT (highly recommended here, though I didn't get mind-blowing results), a deep conditioner (or just leave your regular conditioner in for a long while, maybe apply a little heat). For damage, protein might help.

swearnsue
July 24th, 2013, 04:40 PM
If you have very fine hair, like me, you may just want to use a good conditioner instead of any oil. Sometimes, after I shampoo and wrap my hair in a towel for a minute I take a tiny bit of coconut oil, just enough for a bit of a sheen on my palms and then scrunch the ends of my hair. It will feel like you aren't getting any oil on your hair, but you are.

pippi_plum
July 24th, 2013, 04:44 PM
I bleached my hair from a very dark brown (color treated) to a medium blonde. Holy damage batman! I knew it would damage my hair but I have so much grey in my hair that I wanted an easier upkeep. My hair was not naturally that dark, I dyed it that dark. So not only was I lifting dark hair, I was lifting color treated dark hair. It's a wonder I didn't loose all my hair.. well the jury is still out on that one. :(
Okay, my routine. I wash my hair every other day, sometimes I wait three days. I use TiGi's Bedhead Resurrection shampoo and conditioner. I use SEBASTIAN
Penetraitt Deep Strengthening and Repair-Masque about once a week. I use coconut oil the night before I wash my hair.. I leave it in all night and wash out the next day, but I've only done this twice so far. And I shampoo'd it out this morning and my hair looks exactly the same.
I would post a pic of my hair, but I don't believe I'm able to post pics yet.
I REALLY appreciate everyone's input. Thank you!!

pippi_plum
July 24th, 2013, 04:49 PM
LeeLoo, how is Jojoba different from Coconut oil? I've never tried it.
Swearnsue, I have VERY fine hair normally. So that was a challenge all in itself. LOL

biogirl87
July 24th, 2013, 04:53 PM
pippi_plum, if you have your pics stored on flickr or photobucket, you should be to post pics here. This thread on posting pictures can help you: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=7240.

pippi_plum
July 24th, 2013, 04:55 PM
What does SMT stand for? Is there a post somewhere that has what all the acronyms stand for? :o

pippi_plum
July 24th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Thank you biogirl87. I don't have those accounts but I will go start one and get a pic of my hair. That way you can all see what I'm dealing with. LOL

Kherome
July 24th, 2013, 07:28 PM
The only oil I have seen any real research showing it penetrates the hair shaft is coconut.

DrachenBelladon
July 24th, 2013, 07:36 PM
It penetrates the shaft, moisturizing it greatly. It also coats the strands.

Dorothy
July 24th, 2013, 07:44 PM
That's a lot of damage. Maybe coconut oil or some oil can help you keep what you have. SMT's would likely make it feel better. Snowymoon's moisture treatment, there's a thread. heated honey, aloe vera, and conditioner.

meteor
July 24th, 2013, 07:49 PM
I have been using it, but only on dry hair and I honestly haven't seen any difference in my hair once I shampoo it out. ...
If you want a very heavy-duty pre-poo oiling session, I'd recommend olive oil + honey + maybe avocado oil. I find olive/avocado a lot heavier and more moisturizing if I feel my hair is seriously parched/damaged.
Coconut oil is great go-to oil and you should use it to prevent damage from shampooing (every time you use sulphates and even water, you lose some proteins in your hair, and oils help with that).

As for applying on dry, damp or wet - let your hair guide you. I prefer applying on dry. But if my hair feels super-dry, I'll spritz it with some water first and then coat with a bit of oil. Oils are occlusive, so will mostly keep water in and out.

gthlvrmx
July 24th, 2013, 08:20 PM
Ahhh, so coconut does penetrate the shaft, but it doesn't add moisture? So would it be better to use it on wet/damp hair for those of us with dry hair? I have been using it, but only on dry hair and I honestly haven't seen any difference in my hair once I shampoo it out. Also, it's quite heavy for my very fine hair as a everyday leave in.. really makes my hair greasy. And if I just use a tiny dollup, it kinda just sits there. LOL
it penetrates and helps retain protein. if your hair does not like a lot of protein, use less.
its best on damp hair if your environment is DRY. if it is humid, you can use it when when your hair is dry to help keep moisture in already. that way it wont get overmoisturized i heard that happens more in humid places. use less if its too heavy and try it on damp hair. it does have stuff in it that helps out even with your hair is dry but i get a better outcome when my hair is damp and then i wash it out. its nicer. use conditoner to get it out will help, shampoo might not be getting it all out? depends. silicone free conditioner works best for me like the suave naturals line :P

silvertongue
July 24th, 2013, 09:19 PM
LeeLoo, how is Jojoba different from Coconut oil? I've never tried it.
Swearnsue, I have VERY fine hair normally. So that was a challenge all in itself. LOL

Not LeeLoo (obviously), but jojoba oil feels lighter and relatively watery. It doesn't smell as strong. Unlike coconut oil, it's indigestible :) I can't vouch for whether it penetrates the hair shaft or not.

jacqueline101
July 24th, 2013, 09:27 PM
I believe coconut oil is one that penetrates the hair.

Thinthondiel
July 24th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Something you could try if you haven't already, is to use aloe vera gel as a leave-in. I find that aloe makes my hair a lot smoother, softer and more moisturised. You'll have to use a larger amount than if you were oiling... maybe the size of a dime or more? You can probably just try and see how much works for you. It's a lot harder to overdo it than it is with oil - I've never managed it, at least. I usually just squirt some in my palm, rub my hands together and run my hands through my hair until I am satisfied and then rinse the rest off my hands. :) Oh, and I do it on dry hair - no idea how it would work on wet hair.

However, I've heard that if the humidity in the air is very low, using humectants such as aloe or honey can have the opposite effect and will draw moisture out of your hair rather than drawing it from the air, so that is something to keep in mind.

If you have a good leave-in conditioner, that will probably help, too.

kaydana
July 25th, 2013, 12:59 AM

If you're using anything describable as a dollop, you're probably using far too much. Rest your fingers on top of the oil for a second so a little of it melts onto them, then rub that into your hands. It should give your palms a slight sheen, but shouldn't look oily. Then run your hands over your hair to transfer the oil to it.

red-again
July 25th, 2013, 01:27 AM
Fine hair here and I did start this growing journey with damaged hair too, bleached my naturally darkest brown hair twice to get light enough to go bright red. But I got through it. Your hair being bleached will have lost protein but if you overload it with protein, it will get dry and crunchy so moisture is key after protein.
My hair hates all oils. Coconut is the worst for me. Even the tiniest dab on one finger. You have already been given lots of great advice, but what helped for me back then was a conditioner only routine. Didn't suit my new growth but it did really help to baby the damaged ends. Jojoba oil can build up, it has resin type qualities and again after a short period of my hair loving it, it went limp again. Sweet almond, I've never used it, but I've seen somewhere that it reduces hair growth but I can't for the life of me remember where! My hair ends and some of the most damaged length could handle nightblooming's panacea though, she is a member on here, and sells her potions through her etsy shop. They may be worth a try?
I also hennaed but that is only for if you want to change the colour again, I wanted back to my dark brown as the red made me look awful! And the conditioning henna gave was truly great but it is a massive commitment and you'd need to be sure before using it that you wanted the colour. As it is pretty darn permanent and would cause a lot of damage to your hair to remove. But I'm only mentioning it as your reasons for dyeing or bleaching seem to be the greys flooding in, just like me!
Just one more tip, the search function on this site for old posts is difficult at best to use! You will have more luck going to google and earthing for long hair community SMT or long hair community......(whatever). Doing it that way, you will find direst answers to all the suggestions you are being given or find out more re your own specific questions too

Good luck fingers crossed for your hair! And btw welcome to the forum!

Firefox7275
July 26th, 2013, 06:07 AM
Okay, I hear that many of you use coconut oil a lot. My first impression is that it helps to keep the hair moisturized. But then I read that it only "coats" the hair? So what good is it really? What does it actually do, in the long run and short term to the hair?
Also, what oils, if any, actually penetrate the hair shaft? And if there are some that do, what good are they providing for your hair?
I'm not trying to be difficult, I just don't understand. My hair is dry, dry, dry, frizzy and recently very damaged (for another post) and I need something to get in there moisturize and smooth it. What would be my best bet for a leave in?:(
Please help.

Coconut oil is scientifically proven to penetrate as is avocado oil, olive oil and something in hydrolysed palm fruit oil - coconut is the only oil proven to reduce protein loss (hygral fatigue = water damage), the others have no specific researched benefits but likely reduce porosity. Since it is the lauric acid in coconut and the oleic acid in olive that penetrates it's likely that other penetrating oils include babassu, palm kernel, tucuma butter, sweet almond and argan oils.

Oils do not moisturise, they reduce moisture (= water) which is beneficial since it is water than stresses the cuticle and flushes out structural proteins (hygral fatigue). Are you confusing the need for 'moisturising' with the need for conditioning? Porous or damaged hair usually needs more elasticity and less porosity not more water which would raise the cuticle leaving it less smooth.

http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2003/cc054n02/p00175-p00192.pdf
http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2005/cc056n05/p00283-p00295.pdf

I bleached my hair from a very dark brown (color treated) to a medium blonde. Holy damage batman! I knew it would damage my hair but I have so much grey in my hair that I wanted an easier upkeep. My hair was not naturally that dark, I dyed it that dark. So not only was I lifting dark hair, I was lifting color treated dark hair. It's a wonder I didn't loose all my hair.. well the jury is still out on that one. :(
Okay, my routine. I wash my hair every other day, sometimes I wait three days. I use TiGi's Bedhead Resurrection shampoo and conditioner. I use SEBASTIAN
Penetraitt Deep Strengthening and Repair-Masque about once a week. I use coconut oil the night before I wash my hair.. I leave it in all night and wash out the next day, but I've only done this twice so far. And I shampoo'd it out this morning and my hair looks exactly the same.
I would post a pic of my hair, but I don't believe I'm able to post pics yet.
I REALLY appreciate everyone's input. Thank you!!

For colour damaged hair overnight coconut oil soaks (reduce porosity and increase elasticity) on dry hair, wash out in the morning so it doesn't weigh your hair down, plenty of hydrolysed protein (patch repair and generally good for fine hair), maybe ceramides and panthenol. Drop the sulphate surfactants, preferably all anionic surfactants and anything alkaline. If you ever lift colour out again use a peroxide free colour remover to shift the old dye molecules, then peroxide only box dye or persulphate bleach on the remaining natural pigments.

http://www.curlynikki.com/2012/03/indepth-look-at-porosity.html
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/06/are-sulfate-free-shampoos-really.html
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/cleansing-agents-in-shampoos

Since hair is dead it cannot ever be truly repaired, the worst of the damage must be cut out the rest given regular restructuring (hydrolysed protein) treatments, since you have fine hair you may do well with protein in your normal leave in conditioner. Also don't expect instant gratification from coconut oil or from protein treatments, it can be a long road back - instant results in commercial products come from silicones which confer faux shine and slip, not from strengthening your hair or making it 'healthier'.

http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2010/03/moisture-issue-proteins-and-moisture.html
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2009/06/size-matters-protein-conditioning-part.html
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2009/06/protein-conditioners-for-hair-part-2-of_03.html
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/proteins-why-you-should-care

AnnaB
July 26th, 2013, 07:26 AM
have a look at this, might be helpful :)

its the hair oil thread

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10971&highlight=vitamins