PDA

View Full Version : Conditioner Ingredients

Lakiticni
July 24th, 2013, 03:17 PM
So far I have been using some random cheapo conditioner that my mom uses all the time (Genera Hair Repair, or something like that), and my hair feels nice to touch and also looks nice after using it (it doesn't seem to be very moisturizing, since the lower half of hair usually stays a bit dry after hair dries, mostly noticeable on ends), but I have been wondering about its ingredients. I did a bit of searching on Google/Wikipedia about them, but just got more confused, so if any of you could tell me what you think about it:

Water
Cetearyl Alcohol
Cetrimonium Chloride
Perfume
Citric Acid
Propylene Glycol
Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate
Cocos Nucifera
Xantan Gum
Benzyl Alcohol
Butylphenyl Methylpropional
Methylchloroisothiazolinone
Methylisothiazolinone
Sodium Dehydroacetate
CI 19140 (Tartrazine)

My hair is wavy-curly, 2c/3a.

luxepiggy
July 24th, 2013, 03:27 PM
That looks like a fairly standard basic conditioner to me, plus a bit of coconut oil (cocos nucifera). Did you have a specific question about one of the ingredients, or were you just looking for an overall assessment of the entire formula?

Lakiticni
July 24th, 2013, 03:39 PM
...were you just looking for an overall assessment of the entire formula?

That is what I wanted to know.

DarkCurls
July 24th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Some of this is guesswork, I'm no chemist.

Water - self explanatory
Cetearyl Alcohol -- fatty alcohol
Cetrimonium Chloride -- conditioning agent, maybe mildly cleansing?
Perfume
Citric Acid -- PH ajuster
Propylene Glycol -- I think this is a humectant?
Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate -- Emollient
Cocos Nucifera -- Coconut, yay.
Xantan Gum -- Don't know what this is for, but it's nothing dangerous for your hair afaik.
Benzyl Alcohol -- Probably used as a preservative.
Butylphenyl Methylpropional -- More preservative?
Methylchloroisothiazolinone -- Preservative
Methylisothiazolinone -- Preservative?
Sodium Dehydroacetate -- No idea
CI 19140 (Tartrazine) -- Color

I see nothing exceptional or alarming. It's a pretty basic conditioner, I'd say. Should be fine. I'm not surprised it's not very moisturising, but if you like it, you like it. I have a similar curl pattern and also use a cheap conditioner with a fatty alcohol, an emollient, and cetrimonium chloride and the rest of the ingredients are pretty much only preservatives, fragrance, and color.

If it works for you, it works for you! No point in changing.

Lakiticni
July 24th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Then, if I add some moisturizing pre-wash or deep treatment (like coconut oil?) it should be good enough? By that I mean there won't be any need to get some conditioner that is more moisturizing than this one which I already use.

In2wishin
July 24th, 2013, 03:54 PM
So far I have been using some random cheapo conditioner that my mom uses all the time (Genera Hair Repair, or something like that), and my hair feels nice to touch and also looks nice after using it (it doesn't seem to be very moisturizing, since the lower half of hair usually stays a bit dry after hair dries, mostly noticeable on ends), but I have been wondering about its ingredients. I did a bit of searching on Google/Wikipedia about them, but just got more confused, so if any of you could tell me what you think about it:

My hair is wavy-curly, 2c/3a.

I am not sure what your question is but I have broken down the ingredients as to their function:

Conditioning agents and emulsifiers:

Cetearyl Alcohol
Cetrimonium Chloride (also adds some detergency if you are interested in CO washing)
Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate/Dicaprate

Preservatives:

Methylchloroisothiazolinone
Methylisothiazolinone
Sodium Dehydroacetate
Benzyl Alcohol (also acts as solvent)

Humectant (attracts water to the hair):

Propylene Glycol

other:
Perfume
Butylphenyl Methylpropional: fragrance additive
Citric Acid: pH adjuster
Cocos Nucifera
Xantan Gum: thickener
water
CI 19140 (Tartrazine): dye

DarkCurls
July 24th, 2013, 03:54 PM
It depends. I own several conditioners; the one I told you about, a heavier, more moisturising one, and one with some light protein. (I co-wash and go through conditioner really fast.) The cheap, runny conditioner I like because it's the easiest to use as a co-wash, but it's far from moisturising and on the ends I tend to use the heavier one.

A pre-wash, or a DT, would definitely help. I use coconut oil as a pre-wash and love it. If the dryness of your hair still bothers you, then you can look for another conditioner. But the conditioner you have isn't doing any harm, that's for sure.

In2wishin
July 24th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Then, if I add some moisturizing pre-wash or deep treatment (like coconut oil?) it should be good enough? By that I mean there won't be any need to get some conditioner that is more moisturizing than this one which I already use.

That would depend on your hair. Does it feel like it needs more moisture?

Some of this is guesswork, I'm no chemist.
*snip*
If it works for you, it works for you! No point in changing.

LOL, simulpost :)

Lakiticni
July 24th, 2013, 04:03 PM
That would depend on your hair. Does it feel like it needs more moisture? ...
Yes, I think it could use some. I will try with coconut oil.
-----
Thank you both!