PDA

View Full Version : cone-free and hair fall?

sarahthegemini
July 24th, 2013, 07:57 AM
I've recently decided to go cone-free. I CWC with Tresemme Naturals conditioner and Pantene (cone free) 'poo. Usually (when I was using cones) my hair never tangled or knotted. Now though, my hair is much more tangle prone particularly at the ends. This then leads to shedding even if i'm super gentle with combing (I use a wooden comb) I've also noticed more hair fall during the washing process although I think this is just a case of the already fallen hairs coming loose with conditioner. I think my daily hair fall is still within normal range but it has increased since ditching the cones. Is this normal/to be expected?

I don't want to go back to cones, I like the fact that I can see the tue nature of my hair (which at the mo is a little dry, but I'm working on that) My hair is just as soft and shiny as with cones, and it is also a little fuller. I'm happy going cone free aside from this hair fall issue.

Eta: I was thinking of trying Tresemme Naturals as a leave in too to help remove tangles before combing.

MissySue
July 24th, 2013, 08:05 AM
I see the same thing happening with me. I don't have any good answers but I'll be watching for more experienced people to chime in.

lapushka
July 24th, 2013, 08:13 AM
What *you* want for your hair isn't necessarily what your hair wants. I'd do what it wants, and use cones, so you don't lose hair as bad. In the grand scheme of things, honestly, it doesn't really matter what you use. It's no big deal to use cones.

sarahthegemini
July 24th, 2013, 08:31 AM
What *you* want for your hair isn't necessarily what your hair wants. I'd do what it wants, and use cones, so you don't lose hair as bad. In the grand scheme of things, honestly, it doesn't really matter what you use. It's no big deal to use cones.

What if I were to use a cone free conditioner still but then used a coney conditioner on the last few inches/ends as a leave in?

Firefox7275
July 24th, 2013, 10:25 AM
I've recently decided to go cone-free. I CWC with Tresemme Naturals conditioner and Pantene (cone free) 'poo. Usually (when I was using cones) my hair never tangled or knotted. Now though, my hair is much more tangle prone particularly at the ends. This then leads to shedding even if i'm super gentle with combing (I use a wooden comb) I've also noticed more hair fall during the washing process although I think this is just a case of the already fallen hairs coming loose with conditioner. I think my daily hair fall is still within normal range but it has increased since ditching the cones. Is this normal/to be expected?

I don't want to go back to cones, I like the fact that I can see the tue nature of my hair (which at the mo is a little dry, but I'm working on that) My hair is just as soft and shiny as with cones, and it is also a little fuller. I'm happy going cone free aside from this hair fall issue.

Eta: I was thinking of trying Tresemme Naturals as a leave in too to help remove tangles before combing.

Some people have problems with the current formula of Tresemme Naturals others love it, and it doesn't contain much that will penetrate or patch repair damage. Ingredients that replace the detangling/ slip of silicones include the behentrimoniums, natural oils, panthenol, pH ~4.5. To patch repair damaged ends use ceramides, hydrolysed protein and panthenol, perhaps a water soluble (prefix PEG-) or amine silicone (eg. amodimethicone) that does not build up on the ends only if that does not help.

Maybe switch to finger detangling or a wide tooth double row like the Mebco shower comb or Dimples afro comb? You might hunt down reviews on these conditioners, see if you think they might suit
http://crownpride.co.uk/Store/conditioners/avocado-detangling-conditioner
http://www.curlharmony.co.uk/smoothing-conditioner/
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BN-PROFESSIONAL-HAIRDRESSING-TWIN-ROW-PICK-COMB-/290768948023
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MEBCO-Tortoise-Large-Handle-Shower-Detangling-Hair-Comb-MT952-/360498148795

sarahthegemini
July 24th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Some people have problems with the current formula of Tresemme Naturals others love it, and it doesn't contain much that will penetrate or patch repair damage. Ingredients that replace the detangling/ slip of silicones include the behentrimoniums, natural oils, panthenol, pH ~4.5. To patch repair damaged ends use ceramides, hydrolysed protein and panthenol, perhaps a water soluble (prefix PEG-) or amine silicone (eg. amodimethicone) that does not build up on the ends only if that does not help.

Maybe switch to finger detangling or a wide tooth double row like the Mebco shower comb or Dimples afro comb? You might hunt down reviews on these conditioners, see if you think they might suit
http://crownpride.co.uk/Store/conditioners/avocado-detangling-conditioner
http://www.curlharmony.co.uk/smoothing-conditioner/
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BN-PROFESSIONAL-HAIRDRESSING-TWIN-ROW-PICK-COMB-/290768948023
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MEBCO-Tortoise-Large-Handle-Shower-Detangling-Hair-Comb-MT952-/360498148795

Thanks firefox! I like the look of those conditioners, particularly the avocado one but it looks quite expensive and I use so much conditioner. Can you recommend any cheaper alternatives with good ingredients?

Eta: Just made a new thread :o

Firefox7275
July 24th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Thanks firefox! I like the look of those conditioners, particularly the avocado one but it looks quite expensive and I use so much conditioner. Can you recommend any cheaper alternatives with good ingredients?

Not easily, many natural oils are pricey ingredients so they tend to be found in the better quality pricier lines. You might try purchasing a conditioner base and adding your own oils? I've heard the 'Yes To' products have quite a bit of slip, but the cetyl esters (waxy and can build up) make me nervous, I certainly don't get on with them. The Eversleek conditioner contains sunflower oil (not penetrating but should give slip) and one of the benhentrimoniums but again cetyl esters!

Oh Kinky Curly Knot Today has a ton of slip but again not cheap and is not a true conditioner (no oils, few cationic surfactants or fatty alcohols), it is a detangler.

Mya
July 24th, 2013, 12:00 PM
I've also noticed more hair fall during the washing process although I think this is just a case of the already fallen hairs coming loose with conditioner. I think my daily hair fall is still within normal range but it has increased since ditching the cones. Is this normal/to be expected?

It isn't. When I went cone free and SLS/SLES free I got the opposite reaction. Are you sure it isn't a seasonal shed? If not, it may be that your hair is happier with cones.

sarahthegemini
July 24th, 2013, 12:08 PM
It isn't. When I went cone free and SLS/SLES free I got the opposite reaction. Are you sure it isn't a seasonal shed? If not, it may be that your hair is happier with cones.

I'm not sure I've never paid attention to my hair fall until recently so I don't know whether it's seasonal or not :o

lapushka
July 24th, 2013, 03:40 PM
What if I were to use a cone free conditioner still but then used a coney conditioner on the last few inches/ends as a leave in?

That probably would help hugely with detangling!

TheMechaGinger
July 24th, 2013, 04:22 PM
I think a lot of people get caught up in the "cones are bad" mentality and abuse their hair on accident. I know because I did it. After reading up about how horrible and life ruining cones are I threw out all my old hair products and went cone and sulfate free. My hair absolutely hated it so I went back to cones and sulfates and now it feels fine and is growing like a weed. If something works for you even if you've heard it's evil it's okay to use it! Don't stick with something that makes you and your hair unhappy

sarahthegemini
July 24th, 2013, 04:31 PM
I think a lot of people get caught up in the "cones are bad" mentality and abuse their hair on accident. I know because I did it. After reading up about how horrible and life ruining cones are I threw out all my old hair products and went cone and sulfate free. My hair absolutely hated it so I went back to cones and sulfates and now it feels fine and is growing like a weed. If something works for you even if you've heard it's evil it's okay to use it! Don't stick with something that makes you and your hair unhappy

Thanks :) I decided to go cone free though simply because my original routine was no longer working and my hair was feeling dryer and dryer :o

NoRush
July 24th, 2013, 04:40 PM
before you despair, maybe try a different conditioner or use flaxseed oil for detangling, it works wonders for me.

I have to say that cone free conds are not all made the same and in my personal experience I find that the more (truly) "natural" brands tend to be more effective than the mainstream "conefree" or "greener" versions of their products, (of course this is not to say that some huge brands don't do amazing cr*pfree products, because they do) and those with a high content of cetaryl alcohol work best for detangling.

I'm not sure how widely available it migh be, it's a small Italian brand but if you come across a brand called "Omia" (not omnia) try their flaxseed oil hairmask, it's a dream for smooth silky detangled hair.