PDA

View Full Version : Do sugar scrubs on the scalp strip too much oils?

piney674
July 23rd, 2013, 10:30 PM
Hi! It's late and I'm in that preening mood and it got me thinking :P

It's been 5 weeks today of water only on my scalp with weekly conditioner cleansing only my lengths to help the gunkiness. Unfortunately I am not seeing any change in oil production at all. This is the reason I initially began. I know I should wait longer before losing hope but I was expecting it to at least begin to slowlyyy get less greasy and have the teensiest of progress :(

So as I'm touching my hair and my hands are getting gross and sticky, I was wondering if it would be a good idea to do a gentle sugar scrub of my scalp to exfoliate and get rid of some gunk. My scalp isn't gross but it's not so fresh either. Since I cleanse the lengths you can't notice too much but of course I can tell since it's my hair. When I scritch nothing really comes off under my nails, at least not more than before I began, but I've been getting some pimples on my scalp and along my hairline. Was wondering if this may be due to the sebum clogging my pores? I do scalp massages at least every other night to try and get it moving around lol.

So, what are your opinions on sugar scrubs? Since I'm trying to decrease oil production, would this set me back and take off too much? :/

I don't want to use conditioner on my scalp as it makes me shed like mad. Maybe a diluted honey/water/sugar mix?

Scarlet_Celt
July 24th, 2013, 03:28 AM
Have you tried using a vinegar rinse on your scalp? I think it would probably be more gentle than a sugar scrub.

piney674
July 24th, 2013, 07:00 AM
It's made my hair rather greasy in the past even at higher dillutions, but i'll try :) would this break up the sebum on my scalp?

Anne10
July 24th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Do you have a filter on your showerhead? Putting a filter on our showerhead cleared up a lot of the issues I was having with a greasy scalp (not to mention dry hair). It depends on what kind of water comes out of your tap.

Isilme
July 24th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Keep in mind that it is the height of summer right now and probably super warm where you are. Maybe you could try a gentle shampoo or CO instead of water? WO doesn't suit everyone:) Sweat and warmth makes for excellent sebum production!

piney674
July 24th, 2013, 10:54 PM
My water is soft, and I would try cowashing again but I don't know why I shed so much. If I could pinpoint an ingredient causing this I would do that. But even with cowashing my scalp would feel too clean and I feel like I take a step back anytime I use it

HairFaerie
July 25th, 2013, 08:39 AM
I am a big fan of sugar scrubs! I mix the sugar with castor oil, olive oil, almond oil and some essential oils. I love how it makes my scalp so clean. The oils prevent drying too.
I just have to remember to not scrub too hard or for too long...it's hard to not get carried away!

curlytwirlykate
July 25th, 2013, 11:36 AM
I am a big fan of sugar scrubs! I mix the sugar with castor oil, olive oil, almond oil and some essential oils. I love how it makes my scalp so clean. The oils prevent drying too.
I just have to remember to not scrub too hard or for too long...it's hard to not get carried away!

Just distract yourself by using the scrub everywhere else, too! I do this exact scrub after shaving, and it's magic. I've never tried it on my scalp, though!

HairFaerie
July 25th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Oh, yes! It feels wonderful on your body too! :)