PDA

View Full Version : Need self-trim tips for layered, FTL hair.

ravenreed
July 23rd, 2013, 08:46 AM
The title is pretty self explanatory. I have fingertip length hair now. This means that I am having a HECK of a time self-trimming my layers. I usually pull my hair forward at the fringe area, and use a Creaclip to make sure everything is even, but my ends are further out than I can reach now. I can sometimes harass a grown son to help me, but they just are not as careful as I am, and are very reluctant. I need suggestions! I may have to maintain at this length until I can get it sorted out again. TIA!

ravenreed
July 24th, 2013, 12:21 PM
No suggestions? Ah well. I will have to sort something out or perhaps break down and find a hairstylist that will be able to do it for me.

Firefox7275
July 24th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Are there any useful videos on YouTube? Or could you rope a friend in to help?

alexis917
July 24th, 2013, 12:57 PM
When I go to trim my layers- I'm at waist though, I wish my hair was your length!- I use the same method on my ends.
I use Feyes U-hem method, but because of my layers, only the ends get trimmed.
So I use clips and section off the very bottom which is one length, trim that first...
And then move on (pulling the parts I've already trimmed into a low pony) to repeat the same steps.
I have about three "sections" of layers- the first is my ends, one a few inches shorter than my length, and then the layers around BSL.
Hoping someone comes along with new suggestions! This works, but I'm up for something less tedious, for sure!

intrigued
July 24th, 2013, 01:30 PM
I don't have useful experience, but thinking it through in my head I'm not sure why the feye's trimming ponytail method wouldn't work (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/). You may want to try using 2 scrunchies, one which you draw down all the way to the end, and one higher up that you bring down as far as you can before bending to try to keep it all stable. Please excuse the horrendous art standard to get this done quick, but visually it would go like...

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u348/Sangren/lhc/longhairtrim.jpg

Where red and blue are two different scrunchies and the green dotted line is trimming. Again, I don't have the personal experience, so maybe this doesn't work due to hair shifting too much or something, at the very least you'd want to try to make sure you weren't too uneven pulling the red scrunchie down, but it makes sense in my head at least. It's just an idea to start with, maybe if you could say why that wasn't working someone could chime in with a better idea?

I guess the layers part also probably went over my head a bit, are you trying to grow the layers out to the length, or are you trying to keep them?

ravenreed
July 24th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Thanks for all the responses! I am keeping my layers. I have done something like that in the past, but I sometimes end up with wonky ends when I bend them to trim. So, I use a Creaclip, but no matter how hard I try, I can't get the clip to the ends I want to microtrim! I know, first world problems. Lol!

Firefox, I may try to get my mom to help, as she is about the only person I trust to be patient and careful. She loves long hair too!

I don't have useful experience, but thinking it through in my head I'm not sure why the feye's trimming ponytail method wouldn't work (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/). You may want to try using 2 scrunchies, one which you draw down all the way to the end, and one higher up that you bring down as far as you can before bending to try to keep it all stable. Please excuse the horrendous art standard to get this done quick, but visually it would go like...

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u348/Sangren/lhc/longhairtrim.jpg

Where red and blue are two different scrunchies and the green dotted line is trimming. Again, I don't have the personal experience, so maybe this doesn't work due to hair shifting too much or something, at the very least you'd want to try to make sure you weren't too uneven pulling the red scrunchie down, but it makes sense in my head at least. It's just an idea to start with, maybe if you could say why that wasn't working someone could chime in with a better idea?

I guess the layers part also probably went over my head a bit, are you trying to grow the layers out to the length, or are you trying to keep them?

intrigued
July 24th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Looking back at the picture, the 4th step is probably pretty much exactly how you shouldn't do it. It'd still help to have the blue one in place to minimize movement from bending, but ideally you'd want the blue scrunchy fairly secure, and for all the bending to be happening above it where bending shouldn't affect the end result. Same with if you could get 2 creaclips going. But yeah, that's all me theorizing, so if you've tried something similar in practice, and it hasn't worked, I guess that idea is shot.

Bellechevelure
July 24th, 2013, 07:00 PM
I have maybe something that would work for you. I use this technique for almost 3 years but my hair length is can I call this hip not fingertips lenght. But I don't why that wouldn't work for you. :)

Here's the link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn0TrPiblm

I don't do it the exact same way as the girl. My first layers is longer and things like that. :P

Bellechevelure
July 24th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Oups, here is the GOOD link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jn0TrPiblmA

Callifornia
July 24th, 2013, 08:38 PM
I prefer a reverse-elevation layer since it helps keep the ends from looking thin. If I'm by myself this is my trim routine. (With wet hair for more control.)
I flip my head upside down, comb hair into a ponytail from the center of the top of my head. Slide my hands down the ponytail to the end and trim off the tip taking more or less depending on how much layering I want. As long as you never trim as high (on the ponytail) as your nape hair is the ends won't look thin. I then blend the front and trim the hemline with one of the methods here.