PDA

View Full Version : Hair never gets oily on it's own?

FuzzyBlackWaves
July 22nd, 2013, 05:29 PM
So, the woes of an oily scalp are quite a main stream concern in the hair world - stretching washes to 3 days is quite a hefty achievement for some, and dry shampoo is sometimes seen as a saviour in the 'down day' non-washed hair waste land. But what about those other people, like me - the ones who can wait weeks and weeks, and nothing happens? The hair might get dirty, or a strange texture, but no oil spouts at those roots.

I've done weekly washes since I was a child, the reason being that generally my hair doesn't need any more than that. I believe I have some kind of scalp condition which causes dry, dead skin and debris on my scalp that I have to rub away with my finger tips - not just dandruff, but I can't remember what it's called. My hair still grows 1/2" a month like average, and my hair quality doesn't seem affected. So my question is this - who else here has a scalp that's like a desert instead of the sebum sea? Any tips on kick starting those (sometimes handy) greasies? Or, of course, just some good old rants or raves about having a head plum out of oil? :)

sumidha
July 22nd, 2013, 06:26 PM
Hello! :)

I'm definitely one of these people- I can go weeks without washing and my hair will get waxy at the roots and dirty, eventually, but never super oily. I think it just depends on each individual person's sebum. I don't really have chronic dry scalp issues or anything, but every six or eight months maybe I'll do a coconut oil/salt scrub on my scalp before I shampoo. It exfoliates any dead skin or build up off a little more thoroughly than just shampoo, in my experience, and the coconut oil is nice and moisturizing.

Having wurly hair is part of it, but most of the time I can seriously put like a tablespoon of coconut oil into my hair without it looking incredibly oily. :S

piney674
July 22nd, 2013, 07:13 PM
A good way to start sebum production is by massaging your scalp with your fingerpads :) coconut oil is amazing for anywhere on the skin, if you want a good one, ARTISANA makes an unrefined one with all the best production qualities..not overheated etc... but massaging will help. the oil will just keep your scalp from feeling too dry :)

Firefox7275
July 22nd, 2013, 07:44 PM
Are you talking about xerosis or some form of dermatitis? Do you eat plenty of healthy fats in your diet? What you should or should not apply to your scalp depends which skin issue you have been diagnosed with.

Rebecka
July 22nd, 2013, 09:20 PM
I have just gone 10 weeks without washing, was probably able to do it 2 years ago also. Or 10 years ago too. If you massage your scalp, it produces more oils. I like to have some other oils in my ends also :)

HumanBean
July 22nd, 2013, 10:39 PM
I just went without washing for a week and a half, and I did that at least once last month also. In both cases I could have made it longer without any adverse effects, but washed out of convenience (I prefer to wash on weekends). I seriously had been thinking about posting the question, "If you can stretch washes further, should you?" Because clearly I can.

I always washed every 4-5 days all my life, so it was easy to go to once a week when I started on here. I did have dry scalp n my fringe area, but then started the OCM method for my face and that problem went away, so now I think it was mostly flaking from my face and not my scalp.

Eniratak
July 22nd, 2013, 10:43 PM
I have gone two weeks without washing before and it wasn't oily then. I did wash it though - a little dirty, but not oily at all. It's so funny to me because my fiance and his family are everyday washers because their hair becomes super greasy.
It's really interesting how different each person's scalp works.