PDA

View Full Version : Is there a list of conditioners that are good for co-washing?

kysgrl
July 22nd, 2013, 05:28 PM
I know there is a lot of info in various threads, but I was wondering if there was just an updated list of conditioners that are good for co-washing.

DarkCurls
July 23rd, 2013, 12:52 AM
Lots of people use Suave and VO5 (and that's already a large range to choose from); I've also heard White Rain and Giovanni being mentioned. For most of the others it's trial and error. I've never touched Suave or VO5 because you can't find them where I live, but all the conditioners I've used so far have worked fine for me -- some better than others. I spend ages in the drugstore reading the labels. :p Some were light and runny, others were heavier. It depends on your hair type and on lots of other things... I don't think it's possible to make a list of conditioners that work for everyone. For one thing, some people co-wash without cones, others don't care.

That said, maybe someone will be able to link you to a list.

tiny squirrel
July 23rd, 2013, 12:11 PM
I've used all three for co-washing, Suave, Vo5, White Rain. They are super cheap, and I love that. They are also all lighter conditioners which, for me, work well when co-washing. I'm subscribing to this thread though because I would LOVE more options. My scalp is extremely sensitive to dyes. That usually leaves me with a scent choice of coconut, coconut, and coconut. WHY must hair care companies dye EVERYTHING. Sampoo and conditioner would smell just as nice if it were clear and white. Bah. Sorry. End rant.

PJolie
July 23rd, 2013, 12:28 PM
I'd say Suave, vo5, And Herbal Essences, but mostly is what your hair likes!

jeanniet
July 23rd, 2013, 01:22 PM
I've used all three for co-washing, Suave, Vo5, White Rain. They are super cheap, and I love that. They are also all lighter conditioners which, for me, work well when co-washing. I'm subscribing to this thread though because I would LOVE more options. My scalp is extremely sensitive to dyes. That usually leaves me with a scent choice of coconut, coconut, and coconut. WHY must hair care companies dye EVERYTHING. Sampoo and conditioner would smell just as nice if it were clear and white. Bah. Sorry. End rant.

You could check out the Trader Joe's conditioners if they're available to you. The Tea Tree Tingle is a great CO and dye-free. I think the Refresh is also good, and the Nourish, but that has parabens.

tiny squirrel
July 23rd, 2013, 01:45 PM
Thanks jeanniet, we do have a Trader Joe's not too far away. When I use up what I have I'll check it out.

rut.de.leu
July 23rd, 2013, 03:36 PM
Personally, I use 'coney Suave and Aussie conditioners, and my partner uses a non-'coney Suave conditioner. Almost any 'coney conditioner works fine for me; the buildup issues I get comes from hard water, not conditioner.
VO5 and Suave tend to be recommended the most around here as they are cheap and runny (which is a helpful texture for many because of its spreadability and rinsability), and many of their products are 'cone-free. Alba Organics also has some runny 'cone-free conditioners with more natural ingredients.
A thicker, 'cone-free conditioner I have had good luck with recently is from Etsy seller HeartJCreations, http://www.etsy.com/listing/78550597/ - I don't really like thicker conditioners for scalp-washing, but love them on my ends.

I can check some labels for tiny squirrel when I am next at my local organic store, a lot of products they have are dye-free - and I really like the Trader Joe's scents too.

luxepiggy
July 23rd, 2013, 05:58 PM
I get superb results CO-washing with Garnier Fructis Fall Fight conditioner (^(oo)^)v

Firefox7275
July 23rd, 2013, 08:48 PM
Which country? UK list on British Curlies.

Aliantha
July 24th, 2013, 05:40 AM
Like tiny squirrel, I'd love to hear of some proven co-wash conditioners that are free of dyes, parabens, and artificial fragrances - help!

Anne10
July 24th, 2013, 09:33 AM
Aliantha - have you looked into MM's Chi conditioner? It might fit your standards.

https://www.morroccomethod.com/shop?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=98&category_id=37

Aliantha
July 24th, 2013, 02:14 PM
No I haven't, Anne10 - I'll take a look, thanks.

DrachenBelladon
July 24th, 2013, 02:59 PM
I would suggest Wen. Not only is it conditioner, it's a shampoo, leave in and can even be used as a shaving cream! It's a cleansing conditioner so there won't be a problem on buildup. :cool:

Eireann
July 24th, 2013, 05:15 PM
I have had good luck with the Whole Foods 365 Brand herbal mint conditioner. I have even used it to wash out a heavy coconut oil treatment. And it's relatively inexpensive and smells nice!

Aliantha
July 25th, 2013, 05:33 AM
Although I don't have a nearby Trader Joe's (despite having seen now many rave reviews of Tea Tree Tingle conditioner for co-wash) I do have a Whole Foods store, so I'll go look at that one. Herbal mint sounds refreshing!

Violet.
July 25th, 2013, 01:34 PM
I thought I could buy a big and cheap conditioner, they're quite flowy, light... Definitely not "deep", or "creamy" or anything like that. Plus, there's a lot of it in one bottle so I can use it for a good amount of time, assuming that I'll be spending a lot of it. And if it doesn't work, I didn't waste much money on it. :)

oatmealpie
July 25th, 2013, 03:12 PM
I just stumbled on this list of 'cone-free conditioners. It would probably be a good reference for co-washing.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2216

curlytwirlykate
July 25th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Hm... all of this has me thinking about the specific properties that make for a good co-wash. What properties does it need to have? Science, like! For example, is a goo co-wash highly emollient? High in fatty acids? And what do these things mean?

Anybody understand the science here, and care to explain it to me? (Please keep in mind that I didn't make it through High School chemistry :p)

Bronzepikzi
July 25th, 2013, 06:27 PM
I like suave coconut! It's a plus that I usually find it for a dollar a bottle :)

Synnovea
July 25th, 2013, 06:29 PM
I prefer VO5 Kiwi Lime. It isn't too heavy, it makes my hair clean and soft, and you can't beat the price.

Bronzepikzi
July 25th, 2013, 07:00 PM
I prefer VO5 Kiwi Lime. It isn't too heavy, it makes my hair clean and soft, and you can't beat the price.

Everyone keeps talking about this one, they don't sell it near me...oh poo :(

Jenny31557
July 25th, 2013, 08:24 PM
I've been using tresemme naturals nourishing moisture and it has worked so far.
I've only been co washing for 3 weeks though. :)

McFearless
July 26th, 2013, 01:16 AM
Tresemme Naturals is one to try. I've used the moisture conditioner, but they offer two others in that line.

rut.de.leu
July 28th, 2013, 12:31 PM
tiny squirrel, Avalon Organics, JĀSÖN, and Nature's Gate all make lots of scents of conditioners without dyes.
I am not sure if all of the JĀSÖN brand are 'cone-free, and they seem pretty thick. Avalon Organics has some good scents but I'm not too big on the texture. Nature's Gate is more runny yet rich in consistency than the others, it's my personal preference of the three (and there are a lot of scent options).

Aliantha, Earth Science has a dye-free, fragrance-free conditioner with a wonderful texture for CO washing.

Firefox7275
July 28th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Hm... all of this has me thinking about the specific properties that make for a good co-wash. What properties does it need to have? Science, like! For example, is a goo co-wash highly emollient? High in fatty acids? And what do these things mean?

Anybody understand the science here, and care to explain it to me? (Please keep in mind that I didn't make it through High School chemistry :p)

A product rich in fatty alcohols and/ or cationic surfactants, not much in the way of ingredients that may build up (most silicones, some polyquats, waxes, oils, butters). These two groups are normally used as the emollients (softeners/ conditioning agents/ 'slip'/ lubrication) in conditioners, but they also work as emulsifiers (mix oil and water, gentle detergent type action) which is the property being harnessed to cleanse.
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/celebrities/ingredients-commonly-found-in-hair-care-products
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/products-ingredients/cationic-surfactants-in-curly-hair-care-products
http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/all-about-alcohols

You don't really want much fatty acids, they are the 'building blocks' of oils and sebum so are what you are trying to remove from the hair not add. Also probably not too much protein, you are mainly concentrating on your virgin roots which have pretty much all their structural proteins and fatty acids intact. Those with fine hair might do better with protein than those with coarse hair, those with a dry scalp might do better with more fatty acids than those who produce plenty of sebum.

I want an effective clean without drying or stripping so I use a basic lightweight product and plenty of it, work into a light 'lather', sometimes add extra water to achieve this, massage as I rinse such that my hair is literally 'squeaky' clean. If I don't get the lather or the squeak my hair feels more conditioned than cleansed.

jacqueline101
July 29th, 2013, 05:01 PM
I thought about trying Pantene ice shine.

tiny squirrel
July 29th, 2013, 05:28 PM
tiny squirrel, Avalon Organics, JĀSÖN, and Nature's Gate all make lots of scents of conditioners without dyes.
I am not sure if all of the JĀSÖN brand are 'cone-free, and they seem pretty thick. Avalon Organics has some good scents but I'm not too big on the texture. Nature's Gate is more runny yet rich in consistency than the others, it's my personal preference of the three (and there are a lot of scent options).

Aliantha, Earth Science has a dye-free, fragrance-free conditioner with a wonderful texture for CO washing.

You know what, I forgot about Nature's Gate. I do like both their shampoo and conditioner. But I started having trouble finding the ones in the orange and green bottles. The kind in the white bottles feels different and doesn't make my hair as soft. The big white bottle of Nature's Gate Biotin made my hair feel kind of crunchy. I liked Avalon Organics okay, but didn't love it. And as much as I want to love the JĀSÖN brand because of the natural ingredients and how easy it is to find around here, it also makes my hair feel crunchy. What causes this? Too much protein? Anyway, thanks for the reminder, I may go out to Whole Foods to get some Nature's Gate Mandarin Orange Patchouli. That stuff makes my hair soft and silky and it smells like orange starbursts! :bounce:

oatmealpie
July 29th, 2013, 05:35 PM
...it also makes my hair feel crunchy. What causes this? Too much protein?

Yep, the crunchies are usually caused by too much protein/not enough moisture.

tiny squirrel
July 29th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Thanks, oatmealpie. I may be done CO washing for a while. I experimented this past weekend with CWC and coconut oil. WOW did it bring back the shiny softness. Byebye crunchies. :waving: