PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about manic panic....

marymonster
July 22nd, 2013, 12:36 PM
I'm thinking about using manic panic after midnight blue over my henndigoed black hair. I just did my two step, and my hair is a natural soft black, but I want blue black/extremely dark blue. I'm going to let my dye oxidize for a few days then maybe try it. Do you guys think it would work?

Anje
July 22nd, 2013, 12:38 PM
Go for it! My only concern is that it might wash out to the point where you can't see it rather fast, but there are more long-lasting dyes that you can try if you like the effect.

marymonster
July 22nd, 2013, 12:41 PM
Go for it! My only concern is that it might wash out to the point where you can't see it rather fast, but there are more long-lasting dyes that you can try if you like the effect.

Okay! Thanks! :)

luxepiggy
July 22nd, 2013, 01:56 PM
Yes, it should indeed work, and you should end up with blue-black hair. My natural colour is sort of a darkish brown, and I use a blue deposit-only dye to make it blue-black (^(oo)^)v

Here is how it comes out (note that my dye is brighter than MP After Midnight Blue - more of a royal blue. If you use the MP yours will be closer to black and less visibly blue, I would imagine):

Indoors with flash - for comparison, the little streak of brown in the first pic is a bundle of older, undyed sheds that show my natural colour:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/hair/shiny-midnight-black.jpg

Outdoors, dappled sun/shade - photo credit to Bill D. who took this pic during our recent meet!
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL437/1642984/24391044/407242840.jpg

My siggy photo was taken outdoors in direct sun - my very tips are bleached out, so that bright blue is fairly close to the actual colour of the dye I use (^(oo)^)v

massivecnqstdr
July 22nd, 2013, 02:49 PM
Yes, it should indeed work, and you should end up with blue-black hair. My natural colour is sort of a darkish brown, and I use a blue deposit-only dye to make it blue-black (^(oo)^)v

Here is how it comes out (note that my dye is brighter than MP After Midnight Blue - more of a royal blue. If you use the MP yours will be closer to black and less visibly blue, I would imagine):

Indoors with flash - for comparison, the little streak of brown in the first pic is a bundle of older, undyed sheds that show my natural colour:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/hair/shiny-midnight-black.jpg

Outdoors, dappled sun/shade - photo credit to Bill D. who took this pic during our recent meet!
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL437/1642984/24391044/407242840.jpg

My siggy photo was taken outdoors in direct sun - my very tips are bleached out, so that bright blue is fairly close to the actual colour of the dye I use (^(oo)^)v

<3_<3 you have the hair color of my dreams! So awesome! I've always wanted your hair color, but alas, my hair is naturally blonde and super fine so I would look scalp-y and bald :laugh:

red-again
July 22nd, 2013, 02:59 PM
Special effects blue velvet over my henna and indigoed hair gave me blackest blue, or was it bluest black? Lasted ages too, couldn't get it to rinse out!

curlytwirlykate
July 22nd, 2013, 03:54 PM
luxepiggy, you rock this look! Your hair looks so healthy and gorgeous. I'll just sit here in complete and total envy. :)

curlytwirlykate
July 22nd, 2013, 03:55 PM
I'm thinking about using manic panic after midnight blue over my henndigoed black hair. I just did my two step, and my hair is a natural soft black, but I want blue black/extremely dark blue. I'm going to let my dye oxidize for a few days then maybe try it. Do you guys think it would work?

Absolutely!

My experience with henna and manic panic was from a looong time ago, but it definitely went well. I'd use a light, electric blue on top of the henna, and let it sit for as long as you can!

Post pics of the result??

swearnsue
July 22nd, 2013, 05:42 PM
Is Manic Panic a dye that doesn't hurt your hair? To use when you want purple or orange or any bright color streaks?

luxepiggy
July 22nd, 2013, 05:46 PM
Is Manic Panic a dye that doesn't hurt your hair? To use when you want purple or orange or any bright color streaks?

Indeed. Manic Panic is what is known as a "deposit only" dye, in that it simply deposits colour on the outside of the hair shaft, and thus does not cause the same kind of damage as oxidative demi-permanent and permanent dyes. Other consumer brands of deposit only dye include Special Effects, Punky Color, Directions by La Riche, and Adore. There are also salon brands like Pravana ChromaSilk Vivids.

luxepiggy
July 22nd, 2013, 05:47 PM
<3_<3 you have the hair color of my dreams! So awesome! I've always wanted your hair color, but alas, my hair is naturally blonde and super fine so I would look scalp-y and bald :laugh:

luxepiggy, you rock this look! Your hair looks so healthy and gorgeous. I'll just sit here in complete and total envy. :)

Thank you both very much! I had always wanted blue-black hair, so when I realized I could do it with deposit-only dye I was really pleased :happydance:

marymonster
July 22nd, 2013, 05:56 PM
Thanks!!!!!! I have manic panic shocking blue on my hair right now, I'll post a pic later or tomorrow when it's dry. :)

mary*rose
July 22nd, 2013, 06:01 PM
Is it pricey? Since it's deposit only, it seems like it fades quickly. Is the upkeep expensive?

unknown
July 22nd, 2013, 06:42 PM
Luxepiggy, how do you handle the staining/fading?
I had purple-black hair for a while and had to give it up since it left everything my hair touched bright purple. I would love to have the same colour as you do if I could avoid the staining.

SerinaDaith
July 22nd, 2013, 07:03 PM
Since it is direct deposit with no oxidation you can reuse any left over portion of the jar on your next go around. I buy the stuff in the jar and it costs about 9.99 at Sallys where I live. I have hot hot pink on in just my bangs over my natural color (my current avitar pic). I would recommend doing a strand before all over application especially since you can just set the unused portion aside for later.

SerinaDaith
July 22nd, 2013, 07:04 PM
Oh and the website has recommendations for application on natural or unbleached hair that are worth following.

luxepiggy
July 22nd, 2013, 07:58 PM
Luxepiggy, how do you handle the staining/fading?
I had purple-black hair for a while and had to give it up since it left everything my hair touched bright purple. I would love to have the same colour as you do if I could avoid the staining.

I actually use Pravana Chromasilk VIVIDS, which is a salon brand, and it does not rub off/stain as long as my hair is dry. It gives more shine and silkiness than the regular retail brands too!

MidnightMoon
July 22nd, 2013, 08:16 PM
luxepiggy your hair is just amazing, really! I love the colour, texture and how good it looks with your pale skin. :thudpile:

rut.de.leu
July 23rd, 2013, 12:38 AM
Is it pricey? Since it's deposit only, it seems like it fades quickly. Is the upkeep expensive?

Manic Panic has never faded quickly in my hair or in my roommate's hair. Leaving it in for extra time (way more than the jar suggests), setting it with vinegar just prior to rinsing, and a color-conscious routine is key. Personally, every few days I CO in cool to warm water, never hot, but back in my shampoo days the fade was still very slow - I used shampoos with labels like "safe for colored hair" but I don't think those are always too trustworthy and would recommend sulphate-free or particularly conditioning shampoos if you go that route.
It's about ten dollars a jar for me, give or take, and I need two-and-a-half to three jars for my f/m, ii/iii, waist-length hair. I don't need to redo my overall application often at all, though, and mostly just go over my roots on occasion. It also looks great with my henna.
For reference, I've used Manic Panic red shades on both virgin, dyed, and bleached hair, with similar fade times (currently it's over bleach). My roommate uses midnight blue on bleached hair.

MidnightMoon
July 23rd, 2013, 06:18 AM

I know the question wasn't directed towards me but I'll still answer since I Manic Panic too. I buy it from amazon, Vampire Red the amplified version which is 12 dollars. The first time I ordered two jars, (that was in december 2012) and I'm still using the last one of them. I've done around 3 full applications and sometimes mix a bit of the dye with my conditioner to 'touch up'.
It does fade on my hair but not dramatically. My ends are very light in comparison with my roots/hair to my shoulders so it is more noticeable since it turns a bit orangey while my dark roots are a very dark burgundy red and become lighter towards the ends.

I use about 1/3 to 1/2 of the jar each time I do full applications, I don't really feel the need to soak the hair in the Manic Panic, even with the modest amount I apply it ends up completely covered in it and didn't leave my hair patchy,
My hair is hip length, fine and ~3 inches in circumference, so about medium (ii) thickness.

I guess everybody uses different amounts but really, leaving your hair dripping won't make the dye stay better or the colour brighter, so for me a jar would last for at least 2-3 applications, so it is cheaper than regular box dye and doesn't damage the hair the way those dyes do.

unknown
July 23rd, 2013, 07:43 AM
Luxepiggy, that sounds like a great dye. Going to check it out.

Pigfarts
July 26th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Personally, I don't like to use Manic Panic. I feel like it fades the fastest.
I like Punky Colors, which you can find at Ulta, Ion from Sally's Beauty, but my favorite is Special Effects, which you can only get online. I feel like Special Effects lasts the longest and gives your hair a more faceted shiny color :)

mary*rose
July 26th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Manic Panic has never faded quickly in my hair or in my roommate's hair. Leaving it in for extra time (way more than the jar suggests), setting it with vinegar just prior to rinsing, and a color-conscious routine is key. Personally, every few days I CO in cool to warm water, never hot, but back in my shampoo days the fade was still very slow - I used shampoos with labels like "safe for colored hair" but I don't think those are always too trustworthy and would recommend sulphate-free or particularly conditioning shampoos if you go that route.
It's about ten dollars a jar for me, give or take, and I need two-and-a-half to three jars for my f/m, ii/iii, waist-length hair. I don't need to redo my overall application often at all, though, and mostly just go over my roots on occasion. It also looks great with my henna.
For reference, I've used Manic Panic red shades on both virgin, dyed, and bleached hair, with similar fade times (currently it's over bleach). My roommate uses midnight blue on bleached hair.

So then how long do you leave it in, vs the instructions? Thanks for the tips :)

mary*rose
July 26th, 2013, 02:31 PM

So then how long do you leave it in, vs the instructions? Thanks for the tips :)

mary*rose
July 26th, 2013, 02:56 PM

jacqueline101
July 26th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Luxe piggy does rock she has the best hair and advice.