PDA

View Full Version : Scalp Massage Results :)

piney674
July 21st, 2013, 11:34 PM
Hi ladies and gents! New here and I keep trying to search old posts with keywords and for some reason nothing comes up. Like no poo..it's too short to find any posts, or anything longer usually comes back with a ''no results found'' Any helpful tips with how to look through old posts? Thanks in advance!

So, I was looking for people's results when doing scalp massages. I've been doing them for the past month and was surprised to see little sprouts especially in the area where my natural part has been for oh, 15 years? It was looking rather thin when I really took notice to it and my mom mentioned it as well, so aside from parting on the other side now I also massage with my finger pads at night for 15-20 minutes all over, but focusing mainly on my hair part. Now these may be just new hairs that would have normally come in, but..they are so fine and thin and just a good bunch right in that area and I was glad to see that because I didn't notice many new hairs at the top of my head for some time! Am going to start documenting with photos so I can see in the next few months if many more come in the same area which would lead me to really believe that it does help with new growth and not just stimulates the follicles already growing hair! :) Anyone else find good results/document theirs?

ExpectoPatronum
July 21st, 2013, 11:50 PM
We have this scalp massager...thing. I don't really know how to describe it. I've used it from time to time and started regularly using it this week because it feels SO good and relaxing. If it aids in my hair growth, then that's just another benefit. I'd use it regardless though because it feels that good.

It looks like this, by the way: http://www.amazon.com/Head-Massager-colors-may-vary/dp/B001IHXFQK/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1374472214&sr=1-1

piney674
July 21st, 2013, 11:54 PM
Great I need a new egg whisk anyway :PP I have seen those! It looks like a great alternative to lightly scritching the scalp. Do you think it does the same amount of stimulating circulation as my thicker finger pads that I press and rub pretty decently hard with? I might get one just because I loooooove having my scalp scratched and that looks perfect for bugging my hubby to do >:) ( I feel bad for asking after going no-poo, my scalp doesn't smell the most amazing and I know MY fingers smell after heheh )

jeanniet
July 21st, 2013, 11:59 PM
Best way to search is to use google: "longhaircommunity no poo" or whatever you're looking for. It's best to be specific, such as water only, sebum only, etc. There are usually threads dedicated to each different method.

piney674
July 22nd, 2013, 12:09 AM
Ah! Thank you, that automatically brought up a whole bunch :) Anyone feel like telling me what my hair type is? Those letters and numbers and i's freak me out! Haha. It would help with the lingo around here :)

http://s559.photobucket.com/user/ivacro2009/library/?sort=3&page=1

Don't mind the first photo. Just a reference photo for my no-poo to see how much less oil ( if any) my scalp will produce after 2-3 months :) Cute right? 12 hours later and looks like that haha. 24 and you can fry an egg on there.

piney674
July 22nd, 2013, 12:11 AM
( Guess I could look that one up too...duh!)

biogirl87
July 22nd, 2013, 12:27 AM
Piney, when I need to search for old threads, I do a Google search in much the same way jeanniet does. The only thing is that I put longhaircommunity.com at the end of the phrase I'm searching for. As to what your hair type could be, I see that most of your hair is straight and I only saw a bit of a wave in the last pic (where you're holding the dog next to your face). If you didn't use any product and if you didn't style your hair in any way before you took that photo, your hair type could be 1c, maybe even 1b. Using any product or styling your hair in any way (even touching it sometimes) will tend to mask the true texture/type of your. When hair typing, it is best to shampoo your hair, let it air dry by drip drying/not touching it (although detangling would be okay) and then when your hair is completely dry, take a photo of your hair. A lot of people mention not using conditioner when washing your hair for the hair typing photo, and I would say this would let you see your true texture but after your hair dries and you take a pic you can certainly condition your hair.

piney674
July 22nd, 2013, 12:48 AM
Thanks biogirl, That last pic was waved with a flat iron ( not that that lasted very long! ) My hair is definitely 1a, people often comment on how annoying it must be to flat iron my hair all the time...if they only knew my pain! haha. Would love a slight wave :) Or just a giant fro ;) Thank you though for the insight. I let it all dry all the time and it looks like the ones at the beach :)

piney674
July 22nd, 2013, 01:12 AM
Also the other photos are my natural color, growing out from that horrendous highlight/dark red red underneath dye job! I haven't dyed my hair since high school and was itching. Boy did I regret that one...really don't care that people comment on my insane roots :P Just want my hair to not feel like crap anymore! :)

biogirl87
July 22nd, 2013, 01:34 AM
Piney, you're welcome. If your hair looks like it does in the photos at the beach after you let it air dry, you're probably a 1a. 1b hair would have a bit more body to it and you can see some waves in 1c hair.

piney674
July 22nd, 2013, 01:54 AM
yes definitely a 1a :)

jacqueline101
July 22nd, 2013, 08:03 AM
I have a vibrating scalps massaging hair brush. It looks like a regular hair brush with massagers. Works great.

H.e.L
July 22nd, 2013, 12:16 PM
I've only been massaging/scritching my scalp for a week or two, but MAN am I amazed at how well it relaxes me! I don't know how I ever stayed sane without it.

curlytwirlykate
July 22nd, 2013, 04:02 PM
I don't know about hair growth, but I can tell you that my chronic headaches have absolutely diminished with regular scalp massages.

Now, massaging the scalp without any sort of lubricant would give me a ginormous, crazy mess! So, I tend to massage while I'm co-washing, or with a castor oil/coconut oil treatment. Always gently!

But now that I think about it, my hair has seemed thicket recently. I don't know if it's the castor oil, co-washing, or massages that have done it. I started all three at the same time!

curlytwirlykate
July 22nd, 2013, 04:03 PM
I don't know about hair growth, but I can tell you that my chronic headaches have absolutely diminished with regular scalp massages.

Now, massaging the scalp without any sort of lubricant would give me a ginormous, crazy mess! So, I tend to massage while I'm co-washing, or with a castor oil/coconut oil treatment. Always gently!

But now that I think about it, my hair has seemed thicket recently. I don't know if it's the castor oil, co-washing, or massages that have done it. I started all three at the same time!

kysgrl
July 22nd, 2013, 04:17 PM
Wow you look like Jennifer Anniston! Beautiful!
Ah! Thank you, that automatically brought up a whole bunch :) Anyone feel like telling me what my hair type is? Those letters and numbers and i's freak me out! Haha. It would help with the lingo around here :)

http://s559.photobucket.com/user/ivacro2009/library/?sort=3&page=1

Don't mind the first photo. Just a reference photo for my no-poo to see how much less oil ( if any) my scalp will produce after 2-3 months :) Cute right? 12 hours later and looks like that haha. 24 and you can fry an egg on there.

piney674
July 22nd, 2013, 05:20 PM
A bunch of people have told me that, especially when I laugh, but I just don't see it! Maybe because I actually really dislike her acting haha. Maybe the chin :)

swearnsue
July 22nd, 2013, 05:36 PM
EP, thank you for the link to the scalp massager on Amazon. They are on sale for $1.45! I have credit somehow with Amazon so I ordered two for free!

piney674
July 22nd, 2013, 05:36 PM
Thank you though <3 :)

piney674
July 22nd, 2013, 05:37 PM
Really hope someone may have documented their results, I can't find anything online

Isidith
July 22nd, 2013, 05:42 PM
I will have to try this scalp massaging. I've heard about it before, but I have been rather skeptical that massaging my hair every night versus just when i oil my hair would bring any real or new growth. But worth a shot! Since I became hypothyroid and started Synthroid my hair grows so slow and it falls out a lot more. :/

piney674
July 22nd, 2013, 05:48 PM
It makes sense to me. Obviously if the follicle is damaged beyond repair it wouldn't grow new hairs, but massaging any part of the body brings fresh blood to the area and promotes better circulation. Plus it releases endorphins, and well, everyone could use a bit more of that :) I'll take a photo this month and compare it to next month. It should be noticeable if even more hairs start to sprout :)

Leeloo
July 22nd, 2013, 05:51 PM
I try to use some sort of oil for a scalp massage before wash and just plain before bed. I just started about a month ago so we'll see ;)

Leeloo
July 22nd, 2013, 05:52 PM
oh yeah, I started taking progress pics also. Will report in a month or so.

piney674
July 22nd, 2013, 06:07 PM
Should we try documenting a few sections? I'm focusing on my hair part which I'm sure will be most noticeable since it's thinned out quite a bit.

piney674
July 22nd, 2013, 06:08 PM
Also Leeloo, I love your username! My hubby won't let me name a daughter that name so a pet it will be :P

ExpectoPatronum
July 23rd, 2013, 12:12 AM
EP, thank you for the link to the scalp massager on Amazon. They are on sale for $1.45! I have credit somehow with Amazon so I ordered two for free!

I just saw this but that's awesome! Gotta love random credit from Amazon. I'm currently 'borrowing' mine from my mother...I don't know if she's getting it back though. :P

Leeloo
July 23rd, 2013, 12:24 AM
Thank you piney674! I love that name too (it is from the fifth element movie, shhhhhhhhhhhh oh my thinly veiled disguise :p)

Leeloo
July 23rd, 2013, 12:28 AM
Also Leeloo, I love your username! My hubby won't let me name a daughter that name so a pet it will be :P

Oh, I just figured out how to reply with an original message imbedded! Sorry, I’m quite new.

Thank you piney674! I love that name too (it is from the fifth element movie, shhhhhhhhhhhh oh my thinly veiled disguise ). Have you tried going for the middle name of Leeloo?

piney674
July 23rd, 2013, 11:24 AM
Oh, I just figured out how to reply with an original message imbedded! Sorry, I’m quite new.

Thank you piney674! I love that name too (it is from the fifth element movie, shhhhhhhhhhhh oh my thinly veiled disguise ). Have you tried going for the middle name of Leeloo?

That's in my top 3 movies :D I can't decide if it's my first second or third hahah :D I can watch it over and over and overrr. I will have to try that! It's such a cute name...maybe I'll just sneak it on the birth certificate hahahah. I'll find a way ;)

queenofheartz44
July 23rd, 2013, 11:35 AM
We have this scalp massager...thing. I don't really know how to describe it. I've used it from time to time and started regularly using it this week because it feels SO good and relaxing. If it aids in my hair growth, then that's just another benefit. I'd use it regardless though because it feels that good.

It looks like this, by the way: http://www.amazon.com/Head-Massager-colors-may-vary/dp/B001IHXFQK/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1374472214&sr=1-1
I've been eyeballing that same scalp massager! I've done a few to my own hair but the "massaging brushes" I've gotten end up tangling in my thick coarse hair and well, bye-bye relaxation help damage control! It doesn't get tangled?

jel
July 23rd, 2013, 12:03 PM
A bunch of people have told me that, especially when I laugh, but I just don't see it! Maybe because I actually really dislike her acting haha. Maybe the chin :)

LOL, I dislike Jennifer Anniston's acting, and I don't think you look anything like her!

Lovely 1a hair, though, I agree!

I have the same head massager, had it for years (it was called Orgasmatron when I bought it!) but it's been sitting in a drawer for the longest time. Thanks for reminding me how good it feels (and any thicker growth is just a bonus)!

gthlvrmx
July 23rd, 2013, 01:10 PM
it works for me my hair grows faster and it gets thicker i lose less hair. but mayeb around half a year itll stop doing those effects just like with supplements i think hair does that :P im unsure but thats what happens with stuff like that it gets to a normal level and it just goes back. ive heard ppl finding a pattern so they can go back and forth and push their growth rate. they keep massaging and doing stuff to their hair/scalp and then stop for a while and come back later it helps get them what they want.
some ppl do it but ive never done it. i just take my vitamins, do my stuff, and leave my hair alone and its been getting thicker :P

there are some scalp massagers that vibrate my mom had one and my friend had one too for migraines but it helps.it helps massaging it relaxed me so much i fell asleep a bit :P

id rahter have that than use fingers :P
my hands get tired XD
if you can find one, get it! its worth it i think :P

scalp massages=le best

my hair grew thicker when i washed my hair more...not cuz i overused shampoo XD that made my hair fall SO MUCH. in CHUNKS. but i still had really thick hair. it was cuz i massaged my scalp XD rubbing the scalp every other day for years my hair was thick and it was naturally thick anyways. once i stopped washing so much eventually it wasnt as thick :P it was for a while and then it went down XD
so just massage everyday and keep your routine and itll be fine :)