PDA

View Full Version : How fast does henna usually fade?

earthpulse
July 21st, 2013, 10:43 PM
I hennaed my hair for the first time one week ago and immediately loved it. It oxidized and I loved it more; strangers were giving me complements.:happydance:Now it's almost indiscernible in the shade. Does anyone else have problems with it fading this quickly? I plan on doing another mud application or a gloss, does it usually last longer after subsequent applications because the color builds up? I'm hoping I don't just have stubborn hair that spits henna back out (that's kind of what it does with chemical colors.)

akilina
July 21st, 2013, 11:19 PM
Mine always faded even though I used the best baq henna with the highest dye content I could get. Even after several applications (around 6 applications) it would never get built up on my blond roots coming in.
So.....reason number 789 I quit using henna :/

Hairitic
July 22nd, 2013, 06:28 AM
Interesting. Mine has never faded. Once it oxidizes, the color remains pretty much the same forever ;) I use Red Raj and do root only applications about once a month.

I hennaed my hair for the first time one week ago and immediately loved it. It oxidized and I loved it more; strangers were giving me complements.:happydance:Now it's almost indiscernible in the shade. Does anyone else have problems with it fading this quickly? I plan on doing another mud application or a gloss, does it usually last longer after subsequent applications because the color builds up? I'm hoping I don't just have stubborn hair that spits henna back out (that's kind of what it does with chemical colors.)

Lunadriael
July 22nd, 2013, 06:49 AM
Doesn't really fade on my hair either (after months)... even when I tried colour b4, so I guess it's a completely individual thing.

If it was your first application though the colour hasn't had a chance to build up yet, and I'd just do a full application again, unless you don't want it too dark. After 2 or 3 heads normally you can't get the stuff out no matter what you do.

ETA: If you want a darker/stronger colour definitely use something with a high lawsone content like Red Raj, because it'll give a deeper (and less likely to fade) stain. If you want a more copper/orange colour you might want to avoid that though. HTH

Crabbyco
July 22nd, 2013, 07:42 AM
How did you mix it up? I've read that if you mix with hot water it will fade. I always mix with tea or amla & cold water then let sit for dye release.

Anje
July 22nd, 2013, 07:46 AM
Never fully faded on me. I've not hennaed for about a year, and you can see where it's grown out. (Not very well because my hair's already auburn, but even fresh and potent henna is fairly subtle on my hair.)

cranberrymoonz
July 22nd, 2013, 07:51 AM
When you dye your hair for the first time with henna, it is quite light and fades quickly. When it is used more often, it builds up on the hair and it ages as well. It turns a darker, deeper colour and from that point it doesn't fade anymore. It'll be literally impossible to get it out. Right after hennaing, before oxidation, your hair will have the the brightest, most vibrant colour.

AmyBeth
July 22nd, 2013, 09:00 AM
I had done a full application 3 months ago, and 2 root applications since then. I CO once weekly, and have experienced no fading at all.

Vivalagina
July 22nd, 2013, 09:20 AM
I've only glossed with either Jamila or Red Raj. It appears to fade after it oxidizes, but I find it only looks faded inside. Outside, I still get the red glow.

Nightshade
July 22nd, 2013, 09:35 AM
On a lot of people it doesn't fade unless you use a very week gloss, but there's a few people where it just won't stay in their hair. I remember Pookatrina spent years trying to get henna to stay, and no matter what she did, it always faded on her.

alexis917
July 22nd, 2013, 10:07 AM
I feel like you're describing it darkening and fading from super bright...
Just it oxidizing. Henna stays on for a while, most of the time...

browneyedsusan
July 22nd, 2013, 12:56 PM
Henna has never faded for me, but chemical colors have. Are you getting a decent stain and leaving it on long enough?

Salmonberry
July 22nd, 2013, 03:41 PM
I do glosses and they fade almost completely after 8 weeks. I've never gotten noticeable roots and I've been doing full head glosses every 8 weeks for a year now. The color hasn't built up on the ends. It's fine with me because I've never had to deal with roots. My glosses are really weak though. I never use more than 2 teaspoons of henna.

earthpulse
July 23rd, 2013, 01:41 PM
How did you mix it up? I've read that if you mix with hot water it will fade. I always mix with tea or amla & cold water then let sit for dye release.

I mixed it with half warm water (not hot) and half cranberry juice. After about four hours it stained my skin so I figured I had dye release and applied it. I'll try tea next time. Maybe the tannin content will help it stick.

When you dye your hair for the first time with henna, it is quite light and fades quickly. When it is used more often, it builds up on the hair and it ages as well. It turns a darker, deeper colour and from that point it doesn't fade anymore. It'll be literally impossible to get it out. Right after hennaing, before oxidation, your hair will have the the brightest, most vibrant colour.

I guess I'll try a few more applications to see if I can get it to stick. I don't have a problem with it being permanent because I love the color it gave me.

I feel like you're describing it darkening and fading from super bright... Just it oxidizing. Henna stays on for a while, most of the time...

I'm not sure if it's exclusively oxidation because I see it coming out of my hair every time I get it wet. It goes right down the drain:( I've only shampooed it a couple times because I'm afraid to strip the color further.

If it was your first application though the colour hasn't had a chance to build up yet, and I'd just do a full application again, unless you don't want it too dark. After 2 or 3 heads normally you can't get the stuff out no matter what you do.

ETA: If you want a darker/stronger colour definitely use something with a high lawsone content like Red Raj, because it'll give a deeper (and less likely to fade) stain. If you want a more copper/orange colour you might want to avoid that though. HTH

I used a brand called Zenia. The seller said it was Rajasthani but didn't put the lawsone content in the description. I got it because it was the cheapest baq henna I could find on the internet (perhaps not the wisest criteria to go by). Maybe next time I'll have to splurge on the Red Raj; copper/orange isn't what I'm going for so I don't need to worry about that.

You guys give me hope that it might stick with a few more applications. I would probably continue using it even if it keeps fading though, because it gave my hair crazy shine and fixed my dandruff. I honestly hadn't been expecting it to live up to the hype in that regard, but was pleasantly surprised. Several people have commented on how shiny it is now so I know it's not just in my head.

Magalo
July 23rd, 2013, 07:52 PM
About 2 months after my last full-head henna, I can notice length being a little bit less red (less vibrant) but it's really minimal. The color almost doesn't budge. I use Jamila.

Mesmerise
July 24th, 2013, 02:25 AM
When I first used henna it faded over time (but I didn't keep re-hennaing). However, when I hennaed monthly with Jamila henna it was PERMANENT! Didn't change colour even 8 months after I stopped (cause I decided to go natural). I had to get it all chopped out, and I'm pretty sure that even if I'd decided to grow without chopping it would have STUCK!

On the other hand, I did a henna gloss on my daughter and it pretty much faded right away in a few weeks.