PDA

View Full Version : Need advice about itchy scalp and hair loss

AuburnButterfly
July 21st, 2013, 08:42 PM
Periodically, I've had itchy scalp and hair shedding which I think pertained to a candida overgrowth on my scalp. That's what a dermatologist once told me. I'm suffering from this problem yet again. I read a lot about people using Monistat on their scalps for this problem and also to stimulate hair growth. I've been doing that for about a week and a half and also using Nizoral shampoo for about 6 days. So far, it has not helped!!! I am middle-aged and lost a lot of hair due to menopause and I hate to lose more!! Does anyone have any suggestions or experience they can share?
Thanks!!

Neith
July 21st, 2013, 10:28 PM
I know that the ladies here may really not like how this sounds, sorry! It's not the best thing for the hair, but it worked to save my scalp. Sometimes when the scalp is in terrible condition, scalp health comes first.

I had similar issues (mine is coupled with eczema) in 2011 - August of 2012 in which my hair basically fell out at the nape and would only grow peach fuzz.

Rubbing alcohol on the scalp 2x per week for the first month, then I cut it back to once a week until it went away. I ONLY do it before hot oil treatments with coconut oil or before deep conditioning so that my hair doesn't get damaged or dried out. Instead of the peach fuzz the hair back there is now at my shoulders.

I know it's not traditional, but the traditional treatments weren't working for me either. It did not damage my hair in any way. It also doesn't take much, I just spread small amounts through my scalp with the pads of my fingers and let it dry, then go about my regular hair washing/conditioning routine. Be careful to not apply so much that it would run into your eyes.

If alcohol is too much for you to deal with maybe try witch hazel or apple cider vinegar. Good luck dealing with this issue!

jeanniet
July 21st, 2013, 11:57 PM
Go back to the dermatologist and get a diagnosis and treatment plan. It's entirely possible that what you have now is completely unrelated to what you had before, since some symptoms are common to multiple conditions. Don't waste your time with guesswork. We see posts all the time from people who have been dealing with similar issues for months and sometimes even years, trying to self-treat, and the best advice we can give is to consult a doctor. You'll probably be saving yourself both time and emotional upset in the long run. I hope your scalp is back to normal soon!

akilina
July 22nd, 2013, 12:11 AM
All I can say aside from the other issues is that shampoo with sulfates makes my scalp itch like crazy and my hair shed badly.
I fully agree with Jeanniet but also want to say...I'm not so sure that you should expect such high results after just 6 days...

jacqueline101
July 22nd, 2013, 08:07 AM
I'd try switching shampoo.

Kiwiwi
July 22nd, 2013, 08:18 AM
My head itched terribly my whole life.
When I first came to LHC and decided to start using milder shampoos without harsh sulfates the itching went away.
So maybe that's been your problem too?

I can't say much about the shedding. But maybe the harsh sulfates also cause shedding for you. Like Akilina said.

oatmealpie
July 22nd, 2013, 10:20 AM
I used to have occasional bouts of itchy scalp. Ever since I switched to shampoo bars and ACV rinses, my scalp has been very happy.

Firefox7275
July 22nd, 2013, 11:28 AM
Periodically, I've had itchy scalp and hair shedding which I think pertained to a candida overgrowth on my scalp. That's what a dermatologist once told me. I'm suffering from this problem yet again. I read a lot about people using Monistat on their scalps for this problem and also to stimulate hair growth. I've been doing that for about a week and a half and also using Nizoral shampoo for about 6 days. So far, it has not helped!!! I am middle-aged and lost a lot of hair due to menopause and I hate to lose more!! Does anyone have any suggestions or experience they can share?
Thanks!!

Once hair goes into the dormant phase it stays there for weeks before shedding, so you likely won't get results in six days. You might consider avoiding sulphate surfactants, they are known to contribute to hair loss in susceptible individuals. Anti fungal shampoos that are sulphate free include Regenepure and Neutrogena T-Sal. Also review your diet making it anti inflammatory and very low glycaemic index. Do you have any digestive issues or hada course of antibiotics?

Do not scratch use cold compresses to relieve the itching, and avoid heat - wash in cool water, no towel turbans or deep heat treatment, hairdryer on cool only.

AuburnButterfly
July 23rd, 2013, 01:19 PM
Thanks, you guys, for the advice. I don't use shampoos with sulfates, so that isn't the issue. Maybe my expectations have been too high for such a short period of time. Neith, I am completely open to using the technique you described with rubbing alcohol if the condition does not subside. Thank you for the tip!!
As for going to the doc, I have a not-so-great HMO right now. It's going to take awhile to get into to see her.
Oh, and by the way, yes, I have had undiagnosed digestive issues for over a year. I just had a colonoscopy that seemed fine, but I'm doing some other tests too. In addition, I was on a course of antibiotics 3 months ago.

Firefox7275
July 24th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Thanks, you guys, for the advice. I don't use shampoos with sulfates, so that isn't the issue. Maybe my expectations have been too high for such a short period of time. Neith, I am completely open to using the technique you described with rubbing alcohol if the condition does not subside. Thank you for the tip!!
As for going to the doc, I have a not-so-great HMO right now. It's going to take awhile to get into to see her.
Oh, and by the way, yes, I have had undiagnosed digestive issues for over a year. I just had a colonoscopy that seemed fine, but I'm doing some other tests too. In addition, I was on a course of antibiotics 3 months ago.

If you do have a yeast overgrowth on your scalp that could well be linked to the digestive issues and/ or antibiotic candidiasis. Did you take a course of freeze dried probiotic capsules (friendly bacteria) to replenish your gut flora after the antibiotics and do you eat plenty of oily fish? Are they considering systemic candidiasis and/ or 'leaky gut syndrome'?
http://www.australianprescriber.com/magazine/19/3/72/5
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9476502?dopt=Abstract

You are using sulphates in Nizoral, also sulphates are not the only surfactants that are known irritants/ damage the skin barrier/ protective acid mantle/ beneficial skin flora. Rubbing alcohol will dehydrate your skin barrier and kill the good guys as well as any bad, it's not a solution and could worsen the issue given you may already have a defective skin barrier, oiling afterwards does not fix that damage. Regenepure is the only sulphate free ketoconazole shampoo AFAIK. A DIY option that would not damage the skin would be plain live yoghurt (for the lactobacillus bacteria and lactic acid) as can be used in other forms of thrush (candida).
http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2012/06/are-sulfate-free-shampoos-really.html
http://www.regenepure.com/complete-list-ingredients.html/