PDA

View Full Version : Memories of your hair?

FuzzyBlackWaves
July 21st, 2013, 07:12 PM
Hello LHCers,

Please do forgive me if a thread like this has been posted before; I couldn't see one.

I was just wondering - who else here has good memories that are associated with, but not necessarily about, their hair?

I've been remembering some things today and a nice little memory about my ex sprung up. Without going into too much detail a lot of things happened with his mental health that ended up damaging a lot of lives - but before all of that, I still recall us going out to get Chinese one evening. We were sat at a table, laughing and joking, and I think it's one of the last times I can remember us being happy. I couldn't eat very well with the chopsticks and, fooling around, I used them to secure my hair back in a bun instead. It was the first time I'd even thought of doing that, and it was just shy of BSL at the time (I didn't look after it at all either). I remember him being in awe of me doing it on the first try, then he suggested we go and have our photos taken.

It's nice to be able to remember these little things sometimes. It spurred me on to go and buy some more chop sticks, to start wearing my hair up like that again.

arjay.d
July 21st, 2013, 09:41 PM
I can remember when I first wanted to grow my hair long. I had it long-ish for a while as a child, and it was always at least knee length in our imaginary games. But the first time I remember liking and wanting long hair IRL was 7th grade. I was taking a test and while I was thinking, I leaned my head back and felt my ponytail on my back. I moved my head back and forth and thought, "I want really long hair." I then proceeded to follow conventional wisdom (or no wisdom), "donate" my hair, and get lice a couple times. I found LHC a month into my freshman year and haven't looked back.

kitschy
July 21st, 2013, 10:22 PM
I remember as a small child walking down the street, the wind blew my hair into my face obscuring my sight. For a moment I could see nothing but my wheat-colored hair, then it moved aside making a frame around my field of vision,..... and at such a young age ( I was probably around seven years old) I thought that I would always see the world framed through the window of my hair, and that no one else in the world could see it quite the same way that I do. It was just a very strange idea. It has stayed with me for almost 50 years.

DancingQueen
July 21st, 2013, 11:41 PM
I always hated my hair as a child, because noone really knew how to care for it - I was to the extent, that it was literally called witch-hair by a classmate, once! (of course, I just look back at it and laugh - it is kind of funny - but back then, it was not as fun). For years, I had a shoulder-length cut, which I straightened every day. Then I watched a video on youtube by Torrinpaige - and I immediately wanted long hair. It would also be so much easier to keep it neat as long hair, than as short. As it grew, a lot of other things happened as well. I came to accept myself more, and it brought out a new, and more feminine side of me. And of course, I learned how to make the most of my curls. :)

So now I am just very impatiently waiting for it to grow to hip-length - I always wanted that length as a child at least once in my life. :)

jacqueline101
July 22nd, 2013, 08:10 AM
I remember a few years ago I had grown out to mbl and was told by a man I was dating I had long hair. I'm starting over again I want to feel that spark again.

spidermom
July 22nd, 2013, 10:37 AM
I remember that I wore my hair loose most often as a child because ponytails and braids hurt. I wanted short hair so bad because my hair was hot and always in my way. As soon as I finally got permission for the short hair that I wanted so bad, I loved it for about a week to a month, then I hated it and wished for long hair again. But I never had the patience to grow it longer than APL to BSL (not sure) until I was in my mid-40s.

rachelbethany
July 22nd, 2013, 11:00 AM
Loving these stories! Sadly, most memories of my hair are not good ones, but that's because my mom was always putting hot rollers and hairspray in it and taking me to the salon for all kinds of trendy haircuts. If anything, it all taught me that if I ever have a child, I won't drastically cut their hair or let them make that decision for themselves until they're at least old enough to deal with the consequences themselves!

Some of my semi-tainted memories, though, are still ones I look back on fondly, like the time spent together while my mom would curl mine and my sisters' hair in a tiny bathroom before church in the mornings. She'd usually burn at least one of our foreheads or ears accidentally. If she was using hot rollers, I got used to stuffing cotton balls or rolled up toilet paper behind my ears to keep the heat from scalding me. So sad to think what that was doing to my baby blonde hair.

My mom wasn't very good at braiding, either, but my older sister had a friend who could do any braid you can imagine, even on my baby fine, sparse hair. I used to love having her spend time turning my hair into a work of braided/twisted art. I guess she is the first person who got me to love no-heat styles!

silvertongue
July 22nd, 2013, 11:26 AM
My dad used to cut my hair when I was a kid. He wasn't very good at it, so he would try to tell me that the asymmetrical look was in style. Hahaha