PDA

View Full Version : Two weeks into bhringaraj oil and experiencing loads of shedding!

massivecnqstdr
July 21st, 2013, 03:19 PM
I ordered Biotique brand bhringaraj oil which contains things other than just eclipta alba... the bottle says it contains bhringaraj, amla, tesu, mulethi, brahmi, cow milk, and goat milk. Now, I've been leaving this on overnight thinking that longer is better, but I must admit the bottle advises using for 30 minutes before washing.

I am very new to oiling of the scalp and hair. I don't know what I'm doing. Right now I just part my hair sloppily and drop the oil onto the partings and then run my fingers through the scalp or gently brush to distribute. Then I sleep in it.

I have experienced serious hair loss in the past, but not in the last few years (although I never regained what I lost). The amount of hair I'm losing while using this oil is much higher than my normal rate. However, I'm seeing wayyyy more root (new growth) than I would normally see in this amount of time.

Stop using? Change method? Suggestions?

Leeloo
July 21st, 2013, 03:25 PM
I'm not sure, but I'd start using it just for an hour or two (maybe with a heat cap) and not leave it overnight and see if the shedding stops but you still get the growth benefits. Just my :twocents:

akilina
July 21st, 2013, 04:44 PM
I have this oil! I haven't found many other lhc ers who use/have used this particular one. I'm glad to hear you are seeing more roots. I very well may start pre wash oiling with it.

I wouldn't blame a single ingredient for the shedding...,its just a fact for some people that scalp oiling causes more shedding. I am one of those people. It sounds like you are applying it just fine, so maybe oiling 30 mins before washing is a better idea to try.
I think I might start oiling 30 mins before washing with it to see if I get any results. I believe the smell bothered me though, unfortunately. I think that is why the bottle has sat on my desk for a year :/

massivecnqstdr
July 21st, 2013, 05:18 PM
Really? I quite enjoy the smell and fortunately my man does too. Do you know why oiling in general causes shedding? I'm not sure I understand what the connection is.

akilina
July 21st, 2013, 05:47 PM
I don't know exactly, but I have heard a few different things. One being that these hairs may have shed soon anyway and that the oil and manipulation caused them to come out early. It's normal to shed 100 hairs in one day.
Using a brush to distribute caused me more shedding. Maybe before you apply oil, thoroughly brush your hair. Also, what I already said..maybe over night oiling is just not working. I am interested to know if you get the same benefits from having the oil on for just a half an hour...

massivecnqstdr
July 21st, 2013, 05:56 PM
Ok, well I will report back after another couple weeks with just 30 min!