PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about trying henna

Natural_Locks24
July 21st, 2013, 02:42 PM
I've been doing a lot of research on henna and thinking about taking the plunge. I have medium ash brown hair with natural highlights from the sun. I would love to achieve a nice dark brown with a rich red tint. Like auburn or mahogany. Which type of henna would I need? And would I need to use some indigo in the mix?

swearnsue
July 21st, 2013, 03:29 PM
I have medium ash brown hair with a lot of gray. I've used either Raj or Jamila from Henna Sooq. Over time it has darkened my hair to a dark red brown because I henna about every 4 to 5 weeks. My picture on the left was taken in the sun about a month ago.

Natural_Locks24
July 21st, 2013, 03:51 PM
Thanks swearnsue! Your hair is gorgeous, that's exactly the color I want to achieve. So how many applications should I do at first? Will the first application look orange? I'm kinda scared

spidermom
July 21st, 2013, 06:15 PM
If/since you're scared, try one strand or save shed hairs and henna them; see how you like it.

Anje
July 22nd, 2013, 01:39 PM
Do some test strands first. You might need indigo, but you should figure out proportions somewhere other than your own head.

Standard warnings apply:
1) Henna is orange-red and it is permanent. While it fades on some people and can be removed by a few, this is relatively rare. Most people find that their hair maintains an orangey tone (especially in the sun) until they cut it off. If you don't want orange-red tones in your hair, do not use henna.
2) Indigo may fade, but it will not go away without being cut off. If you use lightening products on your hair, including standard hair dyes, there is a very real risk that indigoed hair will turn green.