PDA

View Full Version : Silky and Soft Hair?!?!?!?!?

long-hair-lover
July 21st, 2013, 01:19 PM
Hello everyone! I was just thinking the other day about a time (roughly 6 months ago) when my curly hair was as silky and soft as literally a piece of silk but now not so much:( and the worst thing is I do not know why! I've cut all my dye out since then (when it was silk-like it was dyed black) I have cut all of my heat out and regularly oiled my hair whilst getting necessary trims along the way. So doing all this, I thought would improve the condition of my hair even more however it seems to have had the opposite effect. I mean it is still soft and shiny but nothing like what it used to be:( I am really sad about this...might be a long shot but I wondered if anyone out there has any idea why this has happened? Any replies will be much appreciated! Thank you in advance ladies/gents!:o xxxxx

Kherome
July 21st, 2013, 01:21 PM
The first thing I always do when my hair is less than satisfactory, is a good chelating wash. Then I evaluate my products. What are you using?

luxepiggy
July 21st, 2013, 01:21 PM
Have you also changed your hair-care regime? Are you using different products than before?

.... and as the resident 'cone junkie, I must of course inquire: have you perchance cut out silicones from your routine since your silky-hair days?

long-hair-lover
July 21st, 2013, 01:36 PM
The first thing I always do when me hair is less than satisfactory, is a good chelating wash. Then I evaluate my products. What are you using?

I'm slightly unsure what a chelating wash is haha, can you please explain?:) I'm currently using Elvive Nutri-Gloss shampoo and conditioner the pink range

jacqueline101
July 21st, 2013, 01:36 PM
I would clarify your hair, look at the products see if they're cone free make sure no ingredients have changed, if you cut out cones add them back.

long-hair-lover
July 21st, 2013, 01:39 PM
Have you also changed your hair-care regime? Are you using different products than before?

.... and as the resident 'cone junkie, I must of course inquire: have you perchance cut out silicones from your routine since your silky-hair days?

Nope! I run some Aussie Dual Personality: Curl Definition and Soft Feel leave in serum through my hair after washing and let it air dry. My hair wouldn't be brushable without cones as it is very curly when wet and knots so easily!

long-hair-lover
July 21st, 2013, 01:42 PM
I would clarify your hair, look at the products see if they're cone free make sure no ingredients have changed, if you cut out cones add them back.

I clarify my hair every so often as I'm a huge fan of cones:D but doesn't make the slightest difference, although I have realised that I used to wet my hair with my bath water while I'm having a bath and then apply my shampoo and rinse with fresh water... now I use clean water to wet my hair to start of before I apply the shampoo... do you think that could contribute to it? I stopped doing it as the water was soapy bath water and thought it would do my hair no favours..maybe I should go back to doing it?

luxepiggy
July 21st, 2013, 02:09 PM
The other possibility is that you need to start using a deep treatment in your routine; both at-home and salon hair colour normally finish off with a deep treatment at the end, so it's possible your hair is simply missing those regular applications that it was getting every time your refreshed your colour (^(oo)^)v

jeanniet
July 21st, 2013, 02:19 PM
Brushing curly hair can be damaging. If you have to detangle dry, use a wide-toothed comb instead and see if that helps.

Leeloo
July 21st, 2013, 02:35 PM
What oil do you use to oil your hair? Coconut oil can dry out hair for some when you use too much of it.

long-hair-lover
July 21st, 2013, 03:11 PM
Brushing curly hair can be damaging. If you have to detangle dry, use a wide-toothed comb instead and see if that helps.

I have to brush my hair when its wet otherwise I won't be able to get a brush/comb through it when its dry as the curls tangle together and I would end up losing my hair doing this. So, I use my Aqua Splash Tangle Teezer in the shower and it detangles it just fine:) xx

long-hair-lover
July 21st, 2013, 03:12 PM
What oil do you use to oil your hair? Coconut oil can dry out hair for some when you use too much of it.

Yes I use coconut oil....hmmm maybe that could be contributing to it then! I mean my hair isn't dry it doesn't feel dry at all but its not as silky, smooth and soft as it used to be:(

long-hair-lover
July 21st, 2013, 03:22 PM
The other possibility is that you need to start using a deep treatment in your routine; both at-home and salon hair colour normally finish off with a deep treatment at the end, so it's possible your hair is simply missing those regular applications that it was getting every time your refreshed your colour (^(oo)^)v

Hmm yes I think you may be right there! My fav deep conditioning treatment is what comes with the nice 'n' easy DIY dye kit but its expensive for one little tube! May have to get one though

dancingrain91
July 21st, 2013, 03:25 PM
Perhaps you could do an SMT? Those always get my hair back to normal. I usually clarify first. I hope all this advice helps!

DinaAG
July 21st, 2013, 03:41 PM
what about you nutrition? it could be a missing vitamins

LadyCelestina
July 21st, 2013, 04:08 PM
Thing you can consider :...Too much protein.Change of weather-suddenly becoming dryer or more humid.Build up from some other ingredients of your products.

Also,some people experience changes in coarseness of hair when using hair dye...That might explain why your hair feels different.If you stopped heat styling,you could be missing the extra sleekness of heat styled hair...

long-hair-lover
July 21st, 2013, 04:52 PM
Perhaps you could do an SMT? Those always get my hair back to normal. I usually clarify first. I hope all this advice helps!

Yeah I read about that earlier, maybe I should give it a try! Thank you:o x

long-hair-lover
July 21st, 2013, 04:55 PM
Thing you can consider :...Too much protein.Change of weather-suddenly becoming dryer or more humid.Build up from some other ingredients of your products.

Also,some people experience changes in coarseness of hair when using hair dye...That might explain why your hair feels different.If you stopped heat styling,you could be missing the extra sleekness of heat styled hair...

I haven't used a straightener/hair dryer in over a year and about a half and I wasn't using it back when it was silky either so I suppose it could be the hair dye that contributed to the silky texture! Thank you for your advice x

long-hair-lover
July 21st, 2013, 04:56 PM
what about you nutrition? it could be a missing vitamins

I eat plenty of fruit and fibre, always have done. I haven't changed anything really since back when it was silk-like x

woodswanderer
July 21st, 2013, 06:07 PM
My hair turned into something evil when I tried to go cone free...wasn't worth it.

Kherome
July 21st, 2013, 06:41 PM
I'm slightly unsure what a chelating wash is haha, can you please explain?:) I'm currently using Elvive Nutri-Gloss shampoo and conditioner the pink range

Chelating shampoo is a bit more in depth than just clarifying. It really removes hard water build up or any other buildup in the hair. I like L'anza, but many here recommend Joico for good brands.

Firefox7275
July 21st, 2013, 06:42 PM
Long-hair-lover: I have one full tube of Nice'n'Easy Colour Seal conditioning creme and one part used tube of Pantene Colour Seal concentrate (turned out to be the exact same thing in a different package!) that I will mail to you if you like, I bought the Pantene for a wedding but am Curly Girl (silicone free) so won't ever use the rest and the conditioning creme came free with Perfect 10 hair dye. Ingredients are
"Water, bis hydroxy/ methoxy amodimethicone, stearyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, glutamic acid, benzyl alcohol, parfum, citric acid, EDTA, panthenol, panthenyl ethyl ether, sodium chloride, hexyl cinnamal, butylphenyl methylpropional, magnesium nitrate, trimethylsiloxysilicate, methylchloro isothiazolinone, magnesium chloride, methylisothiozolinone."

I would say chelating wash to rid yourself of any mineral build up from hard water. Then work out what your hair properties are (see Live Curly Live Free website) and choose your products based on that. Definitely stop brushing your hair especially to get knots out, that can cause mechanical damage - ideally curly hair should never been dry brushed nor dry combed, only detangled with fingers or a very wide tooth comb when in the shower and slathered in a slippy conditioner. Hair will be clumpy or seem tangly in between washes, that is normal for curly hair, don't expect your hair to behave like straight hair. I've seen one study suggesting a Tangle Teezer knock off is damaging, I recommend the Dimples double row afro comb which is cheap on UK eBay.

Most commercial shampoos and conditioners don't have anything in that will really benefit or deep treat your hair - it's well worth starting to read and understand ingredients lists. If you have porous hair coconut oil is great, might build up if your hair is low porosity, hydrolysed protein is good for fine hair, disaster for coarse hair and so on.

jeanniet
July 21st, 2013, 09:35 PM
I have to brush my hair when its wet otherwise I won't be able to get a brush/comb through it when its dry as the curls tangle together and I would end up losing my hair doing this. So, I use my Aqua Splash Tangle Teezer in the shower and it detangles it just fine:) xx

Sorry, I misunderstood and thought you were detangling dry. Tangle Teezer in the shower is fine.

Since you're from England, I would really suspect water issues as at least part of the problem. You may be able to find out the hardness from the local water agency (city water has annual reports here). Hard and/or mineral-rich water can cause various problems with hair, making it feel dry, builtup, etc. So a chelating wash may be a very good idea.

long-hair-lover
July 22nd, 2013, 06:37 AM
Sorry, I misunderstood and thought you were detangling dry. Tangle Teezer in the shower is fine.

Since you're from England, I would really suspect water issues as at least part of the problem. You may be able to find out the hardness from the local water agency (city water has annual reports here). Hard and/or mineral-rich water can cause various problems with hair, making it feel dry, builtup, etc. So a chelating wash may be a very good idea.

No problem, I appreciate you taking your time to help me! I think I should try a chelating wash then and go from there:o

long-hair-lover
July 22nd, 2013, 06:43 AM
Long-hair-lover: I have one full tube of Nice'n'Easy Colour Seal conditioning creme and one part used tube of Pantene Colour Seal concentrate (turned out to be the exact same thing in a different package!) that I will mail to you if you like, I bought the Pantene for a wedding but am Curly Girl (silicone free) so won't ever use the rest and the conditioning creme came free with Perfect 10 hair dye. Ingredients are
"Water, bis hydroxy/ methoxy amodimethicone, stearyl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, stearamidopropyl dimethylamine, glutamic acid, benzyl alcohol, parfum, citric acid, EDTA, panthenol, panthenyl ethyl ether, sodium chloride, hexyl cinnamal, butylphenyl methylpropional, magnesium nitrate, trimethylsiloxysilicate, methylchloro isothiazolinone, magnesium chloride, methylisothiozolinone."

I would say chelating wash to rid yourself of any mineral build up from hard water. Then work out what your hair properties are (see Live Curly Live Free website) and choose your products based on that. Definitely stop brushing your hair especially to get knots out, that can cause mechanical damage - ideally curly hair should never been dry brushed nor dry combed, only detangled with fingers or a very wide tooth comb when in the shower and slathered in a slippy conditioner. Hair will be clumpy or seem tangly in between washes, that is normal for curly hair, don't expect your hair to behave like straight hair. I've seen one study suggesting a Tangle Teezer knock off is damaging, I recommend the Dimples double row afro comb which is cheap on UK eBay.

Most commercial shampoos and conditioners don't have anything in that will really benefit or deep treat your hair - it's well worth starting to read and understand ingredients lists. If you have porous hair coconut oil is great, might build up if your hair is low porosity, hydrolysed protein is good for fine hair, disaster for coarse hair and so on.

Thank you! Think I'm going to have to purchase something for a chelating wash! Hmm I've tried combs in the past but it just drags through my hair, I have to brush my hair whilst wet otherwise it drys matted. Just clicked onto that website now, much appreciated;) x

long-hair-lover
July 22nd, 2013, 06:48 AM

Oh yes please! I would be so grateful for that! Since I am kind of new would you be able to message me please, bit unsure on how to go about it:confused::)

long-hair-lover
July 22nd, 2013, 06:49 AM
Chelating shampoo is a bit more in depth than just clarifying. It really removes hard water build up or any other buildup in the hair. I like L'anza, but many here recommend Joico for good brands.

Ah I see! Thank you Kherome:-)