PDA

View Full Version : Fun: So, I took self portraits today ...

edwardh
July 21st, 2013, 12:43 PM
... to check how I look with my hair using a new styling approach.
Looking through the photos after the shoot gave me the strong urge to just shave all of that **** off. I never hated looking at myself THIS much.

BUT!

There was ONE accidental photo that made me chuckle because it seemed to anticipate the feeling I initially had when looking through the photos. ("WTF?! It didn't look like THAT in the mirror!")

In fact, I found it so hilarious that I wanted to share it with someone and thought "But who could appreciate such a befuddled facial expression in the context of screwed up hair?"
And then it hit me - you guys ;)

So here you go - just a link instead of embedding it because one is supposed to read the text above first ;)
http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4853/07qd.jpg

jacqueline101
July 21st, 2013, 01:19 PM
I'm glad you had fun.

MaryMarx
July 21st, 2013, 01:41 PM
I like it, you look good. :D

two_wheels
July 21st, 2013, 01:47 PM
Don't shave that off, it's gorgeous! Well I mean, whatever you want to do, but it looks great :D

Natalina
July 21st, 2013, 01:53 PM
Hehe, I know that feeling! The way I looked in the mirror is somehow always different from the way I looked it photos. Mostly when I took self-portraits, but when other people took photos of me they thought I looked great. Odd how things like that work! Maybe the cameras are playing tricks on us. :p

By the way you and your hair looks great in that photo, I like it when people take photos with expressions other than just smiling! It shows character, I'm honestly too shy to do that. :)

jel
July 21st, 2013, 02:04 PM
Funny pic! I love your hair in it, though... what were you hoping it was going to look like?

I must say I usually find the opposite - I tend to be pleasantly surprised with my hair in pics!

Skade
July 21st, 2013, 02:40 PM
Funny picture. I know the feeling of seeing yourself and thinking, "What!? do I really look like that?" Your hair looks good though. Nice color!

Lakiticni
July 21st, 2013, 02:53 PM
Your hair looks good on you. I wouldn't shave that.
And I can't stop laughing when looking at that facial expression of yours :)

Leeloo
July 21st, 2013, 02:54 PM
Your hair looks very nice! It's a funny picture, but your hair looks very nice.

3 Cat Night
July 21st, 2013, 03:11 PM
I think you look great with long hair. I wouldn't cut it. But I think men look good with long hair, almost without exception.

edwardh
July 21st, 2013, 07:25 PM
Haha thanks for all the nice comments (they make me think that should I actually find a job in London (I'm currently looking), I should check whether you guys ever have get-togethers. Even though I suppose that only applies to some in this thread...). And I'm glad I got some of you to laugh :)

First off - No cutting/shaving of any kind will be done!
That was just a gut reaction I had when seeing those photos. But it's of course ridiculous considering that I was at least somewhat satisfied with how my hair looked in the past months. So I'll just dial back on what I've been doing these past 1-2 weeks.

I should mention though that this is actually the only one of the whole series that I can stand to look at even aside from the funny expression. The whole rastaman look doesn't translate that much in that photo. They're not exactly dreadlocks but I still think that in the other photos, I look like I got ganja coming out the ying yang ;)
And considering I'm neither into ganja, nor reggae or anything related really, I didn't like that one bit ;)

@ Natalina:

Haha tricks... yeah well... lighting and camera distortion... there may be some factors at play. But even if you look into different mirrors in different rooms, I find the image can seem very different. Take for instance a small bathroom mirror with dim indoor lighting versus a full body mirror in broad daylight.

And I'm glad you appreciate my expression! I think I haven't made any photos of myself in which I smile public in... ten years or so. And come to think of it... you may even be the first person to comment positively on a photo of mine where I'm not smiling. Usually, people almost seem offended, as if I don't find them worthy to show them my "good photos" or something.

@ jel:

I hoped for... less trianglehead (again - in the other photos it looked a bit more pronounced) and at the same time maybe a bit more pronounced curls. But that wasn't really that important. Just the huge volume is something that I find doesn't work. Especially because of my glasses, I think.

@ 3 Cat Night:

Hehe thanks... you know, I once had a roommate who tried to convince me to cut my hair by mentioning a statistic about more women being attracted to men with short hair. Of course I told him that I don't give a damn because those women aren't my "target audience" anyway ;)

Aliped
July 21st, 2013, 07:31 PM
Dude! That is a really nice head of hair, and it looks really good on you. I think you should keep it ... if you want to. Its a nice photo ;)

Annibelle
July 21st, 2013, 07:35 PM
*grabby hands* I want the volumeeee

BlazingHeart
July 21st, 2013, 07:48 PM
I think most people would tell you that you've got pleasant volume, not trianglehead. And I say this as someone who has very thick hair, so I totally understand the aversion to trianglehead. If it isn't going broader than your shoulders, most people will look at it and think 'that person has luscious hair' rather than that it's too voluminous.

spirals
July 21st, 2013, 11:06 PM
What blazing heart said. Also, the expression is hilarious. You look like Hugh Grant in a romantic comedy with that look on your face. Third, the color of your hair!

xoxophelia
July 21st, 2013, 11:19 PM
Hmmm... I was expecting far worse. You are actually a handsome gent ;) Chin up

DancingQueen
July 21st, 2013, 11:30 PM
I don't think it is so bad - I actually kind of like it. :) Hair doesn't have to look like a shampoo commercial to be nice - especially guys are allowed to have a little more wild hair.

I am not exactly photogenic either, so I usually say: There are the people who look good on camera, and then there are the people who look good in real life! :p

PeacenQuietGal
July 22nd, 2013, 12:10 AM
I dunno, when I look at that pic I think you look really intelligent! But yes, your hair is great, dont imagine that it looks bad, when it doesnt!!!!

edwardh
July 22nd, 2013, 06:09 PM
@ Annibelle:

Hands off, or I'll have to charge you ;)

@ xoxophelia:

Haha "expecting far worse"... I'll take the "handsome gent" instead ;)

I don't think it is so bad - I actually kind of like it. :) Hair doesn't have to look like a shampoo commercial to be nice - especially guys are allowed to have a little more wild hair.

Well.... that may be a common point of view on this forum but I think that exactly that shampoo commercial look is what people generally picture when they think about a "well-groomed man". After all, there are a looot of people running around who actually look like that (in fact, there are people right here in this thread who at least at one point have worn hair looking like it would in a commercial). So when your hair is naturally voluminous and frizzy, the average person on the street doesn't care, they'll instead probably just think "bum".

Anywhere
July 22nd, 2013, 06:17 PM
you actually look a lot like my cousin if he had hair, which makes the picture even more funny to me. :p You've got quite a mane there.

mzBANGBANG
July 22nd, 2013, 06:49 PM
that's facebook profile picture worthy.