PDA

View Full Version : The White Queen

Arien
July 21st, 2013, 03:07 AM
Is anyone else watching The White Queen on the BBC at the moment and having huge hair envy? I don't know how many countries apart from the U.K are able to watch this..

It's actually been encouraging me to do my hair in all sorts of intricate styles! I think the hairstyles in program have been beautifully thought through and are just stunning.

Which character's hair is your favourite? I really can't choose. I'm just too busy admiring all the beautiful long hair (yes its probably extensions but who cares!) and chatting away at my husband about how I wish mine was that long, to which he replies; well if you hadn't cut it, it would be that long :).

I was so excited when I saw that this was going to be on the T.V. I was actually in the middle of reading the book, which my mother had just lent to me so that was a bit of a coincidence!

Can't wait for tonight! It's one of the highlights of my week! :)

Flick6
July 21st, 2013, 04:33 AM
I am going to go see if I can download it, I love her novels :)

Skade
July 21st, 2013, 04:55 AM
Never heard of it, but it sounds good. I just looked up the trailer, and I see what you mean, some good hair sightings. I hope it comes here soon, or I will try to download it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydneyl2S30o

Juniper.
July 21st, 2013, 05:01 AM
I tried to watch this but unfortunately found it pretty bad. I do agree they have really lovely hair though :)

Plus it's on at the same time as the excellent The Returned. Lena has beautiful hair!

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/5/22/1369233894565/The-Returned-009.jpg (on the right)

Firefox7275
July 21st, 2013, 05:23 AM
Yes, hair looks more real than the Tudors too.

Arien
July 21st, 2013, 05:27 AM
I am going to go see if I can download it, I love her novels :)

This is the first one of her's I've read and I really enjoyed it! I plan on buying some more of her books to read when I have finished the ones I am currently reading :).

It is really good Skade, I hope you get a chance to see it. Historical fantasy based on actual factual history. Highly embellished of course. More so in the T.V series but still well worth watching if that is your sort of thing :).

I agree with you Juniper, Lena does have beautiful hair! :D. We did the same thing with The Returned as you did with The White Queen lol. I'm glad you are enjoying it though! :)

Arien
July 21st, 2013, 05:29 AM
Yes, hair looks more real than the Tudors too.

I never watched The Tudors... I think purely because of the title because I have never much been into the history of the Tudors. Not one of my favourite periods. What is it like? Any good?

Medievalmaniac
July 21st, 2013, 07:27 AM
Arien -- if you don't like the time period in which the show takes place, you can still love The Tudors for the clothes, the hair, and the Henry Cavill :eyebrows:

Medievalmaniac
July 21st, 2013, 07:28 AM
But, to seriously answer your question, the show is very well-written and beautifully filmed -- it's worth checking out.

I haven't yet seen The White Queen, but I will eventually. So many great shows, so little time!

Arien
July 21st, 2013, 08:16 AM
Arien -- if you don't like the time period in which the show takes place, you can still love The Tudors for the clothes, the hair, and the Henry Cavill :eyebrows:

Oh really? Well I feel I must research this Henry Cavill and see what has caused those eyebrows! ;). I think I might give The Tudors a watch sometime then! :).

amanda_the_tall
July 21st, 2013, 08:28 AM
Oh really? Well I feel I must research this Henry Cavill and see what has caused those eyebrows! ;). I think I might give The Tudors a watch sometime then! :).

Oh yes, the Cavill is definitely worth investigating ;)

Firefox7275
July 21st, 2013, 10:02 AM
I never watched The Tudors... I think purely because of the title because I have never much been into the history of the Tudors. Not one of my favourite periods. What is it like? Any good?

I enjoyed it, thought it went downhill after they bumped off Ann Boleyn (Natalie Dormer) at the end of season 2 - later wives were largely boring or annoying, tho I did like Ann of Cleves (Joss Stone). Maybe watch a bit on YouTube see if you'd like it?

eresh
July 21st, 2013, 10:14 AM
Ooooooh yes, I love The white queen.
Hair swooning! (and costumes...)
BBC always has the best programms :-D

I'm also watching The Tudors on Belgian tv and The Borgias on Dutch tv.
I'm a history freak (and costumes)...can you tell?? ;-)

Arien
July 21st, 2013, 11:52 AM
Maybe watch a bit on YouTube see if you'd like it?

Yes that is a good idea! :).

I'm really into history as well :D. I studied Archaeology at uni.... I just find it all fascinating. I do have my favourite and not so favourite periods though.

I have just read that Elizabeth Woodville's hair is a wig. I thought hair extensions maybe. Amazingly beautiful wig! Apparently it is the longest real hair wig that the Ray Marston Wig Studio, who produced the hair pieces for the program have ever made. I wonder if it felt very heavy to the actress, having all of that hair all of a sudden! :)

jel
July 21st, 2013, 12:36 PM
I tried to watch this but unfortunately found it pretty bad. I do agree they have really lovely hair though :)

Plus it's on at the same time as the excellent The Returned. Lena has beautiful hair!

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/5/22/1369233894565/The-Returned-009.jpg (on the right)

Juniper, I feel exactly the same! I found the first episode of the White Queen quite boring, so not worth moving my weekly fix of Les Revs! Spooky, creepy and French.... ahhhhhhh! ;)

long-hair-lover
July 21st, 2013, 01:06 PM
Yep! I love The White Queen, cannot wait for tonights ep I heard theres some upsetting bits for Elizabeth!:(
I think I love Isabel's hair the best! The colour and texture just looks fabulous, also a fan of Elizabeths:o

CurlyCaz
July 21st, 2013, 01:26 PM
I love it!

I like Elizabeth's hair the best.

Arien
July 21st, 2013, 01:29 PM
Isabel's hair is gorgeous :). I love how thick and shiny it looks! Margaret's too. It's deceptively long. When she wears it down it has layers at the front so you don't realise how long it is until she turns around. I always think Amanda Hale would make a fantastic character in a Terry Pratchet T.V adaptation. I can't decide which character though. I think Elizabeth's is my favourite :).

kaydana
July 21st, 2013, 01:43 PM
Is anyone else watching The White Queen on the BBC at the moment and having huge hair envy? I don't know how many countries apart from the U.K are able to watch this..

It's actually been encouraging me to do my hair in all sorts of intricate styles! I think the hairstyles in program have been beautifully thought through and are just stunning.

Which character's hair is your favourite? I really can't choose. I'm just too busy admiring all the beautiful long hair (yes its probably extensions but who cares!) and chatting away at my husband about how I wish mine was that long, to which he replies; well if you hadn't cut it, it would be that long :).

I was so excited when I saw that this was going to be on the T.V. I was actually in the middle of reading the book, which my mother had just lent to me so that was a bit of a coincidence!

Can't wait for tonight! It's one of the highlights of my week! :)

Me! I love Phillipa Gregory's books, and the series about the Wars of the Roses is my favourite. I practically fell over myself in excitement when I saw they'd made it into a TV series.

Jacquetta's hair is usually my favourite, unfortunately those styles are also the ones I'd be least likely to get away with wearing in public.

:agree:

Arien
July 21st, 2013, 01:51 PM
Me! I love Phillipa Gregory's books, and the series about the War of the Roses is my favourite. I practically fell over myself in excitement when I saw they'd made it into a TV series.

I really need to go buy the other books in the series!

I love your hair in your profile photo btw :)

kaydana
July 21st, 2013, 02:00 PM
I really need to go buy the other books in the series!

I love your hair in your profile photo btw :)

Yes, you do! There's a new one coming out soon too. We get it later than all the other countries, though. I'd understand it if she was an American author, but she's not and the books are set here, we should get it first! Maybe I'm just being impatient...

Thank you :)

CurlyCaz
July 21st, 2013, 02:04 PM
Anne's hair looks nice tonight.

Arien
July 21st, 2013, 03:13 PM
Yes, you do! There's a new one coming out soon too. We get it later than all the other countries, though. I'd understand it if she was an American author, but she's not and the books are set here, we should get it first! Maybe I'm just being impatient...

Thank you :)

You would think it would come out here first wouldn't you... Oh well. We shall just have to wait impatiently!

Yes I thought so too Caz. I spent the whole time going 'turn around, turn around so I can see it properly'!!

One to recreate methinks! :D

In2wishin
July 21st, 2013, 03:22 PM

Supposedly it is coming to the US on STARZ starting sometime in August.

goldenlady
July 21st, 2013, 03:37 PM
<3 this thread!

I have so much hair envy for Elizabeth.. I have a very similar hair colour & keep wishing I'd never ever cut it in my life so it could look like that! Edward is also very gorgeous! Cannot wait to see Minnie from Skins later in the series.

Arien
July 21st, 2013, 03:42 PM
Well if you keep growing it, it will eventually get that long! :D. Well he's Jeremy Irons son so he's got pretty good genes! ;)

goldenlady
July 21st, 2013, 03:50 PM
At the minute it's a far off dream :) One day! I never knew he was Jeremy Irons son! That explains his perfect looks! :)

faellen
July 23rd, 2013, 10:10 AM
Oooh a White Queen thread! Awesome :D I was really admiring Anne's hair in the last episode. Richard is my fave bloke in the series (maybe because I'm a Ricardian??), I actually prefer Aneurin Barnard to Max Irons.... lol

In2wishin
July 23rd, 2013, 10:16 AM
Oooh a White Queen thread! Awesome :D I was really admiring Anne's hair in the last episode. Richard is my fave bloke in the series (maybe because I'm a Ricardian??), I actually prefer Aneurin Barnard to Max Irons.... lol

Whenever Richard is onscreen I remind myself that he killed two children and ended up buried under a carpark :p

Neecola
July 23rd, 2013, 10:53 AM
Oh wow, this series sound like something I'd love! I love the era it is based on. I hope it comes to the US soon...

ETA: Where are you watching it, In2wishin?

goldenlady
July 23rd, 2013, 11:00 AM
Whenever Richard is onscreen I remind myself that he killed two children and ended up buried under a carpark :p

Hahaa it creeps me out that he's so nice at the moment!

Arien
July 23rd, 2013, 11:38 AM

I rather like him too :). I actually think I liked Warwick the best however. Great acting! James Frain did an excellent job! I do happen to think he is rather nice looking also! ;)

Haha me too! :D. He seems so lovely as well! Did you see the program about him that was on in the U.K a while ago by any chance?

faellen
July 23rd, 2013, 12:10 PM

That's up for debate, all these years later and no one knows for sure what happened. Personally I never believe he did it and always thought it was Buckingham.
I don't always like what Philippa Gregory writes (*cough*The Other Boleyn Girl*cough*) but I am glad she portrayed Richard sympathetically in her novels. Like Gregory, I can't help but admire Richard, whatever he did he was a first-rate warrior, he did a lot of good for the North, introduced bail and the court of requests for the poor etc. But of course, the Tudors wouldn't mention those things... History is written by the winners.

In2wishin
July 23rd, 2013, 12:51 PM
Oh wow, this series sound like something I'd love! I love the era it is based on. I hope it comes to the US soon...

ETA: Where are you watching it, In2wishin?

An aggregation site: http://www.primewire.ag/watch-2740038-The-White-Queen I typically watch the links from sockshare or putlocker because you don't need to download anything.

Neecola
July 23rd, 2013, 03:00 PM
An aggregation site: http://www.primewire.ag/watch-2740038-The-White-Queen I typically watch the links from sockshare or putlocker because you don't need to download anything.

Thank you! I'm not very savvy with watching programs online so that is very helpful. :flower:

kaydana
July 23rd, 2013, 03:26 PM
Okay, it's time for some (bad) attempts at recreating some of these styles. Be warned, terrible inaccuracies and messy hair ahead!

Isabel (episode 6) Couldn't get a good look at the braids in there, but I'm fairly sure they were lace braids of some sort.
http://i44.tinypic.com/2z7hjxs.jpg

Anne (Episode 6) I think the middle one should be a five strand braid but my fingers kept getting muddled so I did four.
http://i43.tinypic.com/vorl9h.jpg

Elizabeth (Episode 1) Could not for the life of me figure out that braid, it didn't help that it was usually out of focus because they were more interested in Edward's face. Edward's face isn't all that interesting, I want to see the hair!
http://i40.tinypic.com/2j196ia.jpg

Arien
July 23rd, 2013, 03:32 PM
Okay, it's time for some (bad) attempts at recreating some of these styles. Be warned, terrible inaccuracies and messy hair ahead!

Isabel (episode 6) Couldn't get a good look at the braids in there, but I'm fairly sure they were lace braids of some sort.
http://i44.tinypic.com/2z7hjxs.jpg

Anne (Episode 6) I think the middle one should be a five strand braid but my fingers kept getting muddled so I did four.
http://i43.tinypic.com/vorl9h.jpg

Elizabeth (Episode 1) Could not for the life of me figure out that braid, it didn't help that it was usually out of focus because they were more interested in Edward's face. Edward's face isn't all that interesting, I want to see the hair!
http://i40.tinypic.com/2j196ia.jpg

Beautiful! :D. They all look really good.

I re-created Anne's episode 6 style as well, but it didn't turn out as good as yours! :). Even my mother commented this morning on how much she liked Anne's hair in this weeks episode! :).

Firefox7275
July 23rd, 2013, 03:33 PM
That's up for debate, all these years later and no one knows for sure what happened. Personally I never believe he did it and always thought it was Buckingham.
I don't always like what Philippa Gregory writes (*cough*The Other Boleyn Girl*cough*) but I am glad she portrayed Richard sympathetically in her novels. Like Gregory, I can't help but admire Richard, whatever he did he was a first-rate warrior, he did a lot of good for the North, introduced bail and the court of requests for the poor etc. But of course, the Tudors wouldn't mention those things... History is written by the winners.

I'm not anti-Richard and can see that what is shocking or negative now was less so then anyway. The reality is he declared himself king when he had limited right to, the princes disappeared during his reign and under his guardianship, he never mentioned them again, the princes were never seen nor were their natural deaths mourned. Richard may not have done the deed but he has to have been involved or be aware what happened!

I say that in the context of many royals killed other royals all around that time and had through history. In terms of child killing Roman fathers apparently could 'expose' their own babies if they didn't accept them for whatever reason and that was classed as if the baby was never born. These days we'd be horrified and see that as deviant behaviour or attitude. Also torture is accpetable in some parts of the world or in many parts of history; death sentences are acceptable in some US states after a proper trial but is alien to the UK.

Possibly killing the boys doesn't make him 'evil' in the context of history, it arguably makes him 'normal' in brutal times. None of them achieved power or position without bloodshed.

Delphi
July 24th, 2013, 12:42 AM
Thanks for bringing this drama up! I love historical dramas. I just watched ep 1 with my husband and it is great!

My favorite hair is her mother's hair. I have a vague idea of how it's done but not really.

I think Renaissance fair needs to be changed to Tudor Fair. There are so many outfit and hair styles we can use to cosplay with.

Haybop
July 24th, 2013, 01:00 AM
I had this show on series link to record but I know the 2nd and 4th failed to record for some reason or another so I'm going to find them (hopefully all on BBC iPlayer) and probably end up watching them all before the week is out :D I missed The Tudors when it first started for some reason or another but that is definitely on my 'to watch' list as well (has been for some time).

However the timing of me reading this thread is atrocous... I have an essay to write this weekend!!

Arien
July 24th, 2013, 01:10 AM
I had this show on series link to record but I know the 2nd and 4th failed to record for some reason or another so I'm going to find them (hopefully all on BBC iPlayer) and probably end up watching them all before the week is out :D I missed The Tudors when it first started for some reason or another but that is definitely on my 'to watch' list as well (has been for some time).

However the timing of me reading this thread is atrocous... I have an essay to write this weekend!!

Oh that is a pain! I hate it when this don't record properly... Hee hee - no TV for you then! You must concentrate on your essay! Not on the life and times of Elizabeth Woodville is it by any chance? Then you have permission to watch it ;).

Thanks for bringing this drama up! I love historical dramas. I just watched ep 1 with my husband and it is great!

My favorite hair is her mother's hair. I have a vague idea of how it's done but not really.

I think Renaissance fair needs to be changed to Tudor Fair. There are so many outfit and hair styles we can use to cosplay with.

Me too! :). I always get very excited when one is due to air on TV. Did you see The Devil's Whore when that was on? I loved that too... Jacquetta's hair has been beautifully done over the series!

Haybop
July 24th, 2013, 01:23 AM
Oh that is a pain! I hate it when this don't record properly... Hee hee - no TV for you then! You must concentrate on your essay! Not on the life and times of Elizabeth Woodville is it by any chance? Then you have permission to watch it ;).

Unfortunately not, no - more study of poetry and short stories :( I just realised as well (after typing) that the 2nd of August, when essay is due in, is the end of next week... not in 2 weeks time like I thought it was up until 5 minutes ago :O

Arien
July 24th, 2013, 01:25 AM
Unfortunately not, no - more study of poetry and short stories :( I just realised as well (after typing) that the 2nd of August, when essay is due in, is the end of next week... not in 2 weeks time like I thought it was up until 5 minutes ago :O

Uh oh! Better get started as soon as possible then! ;)...

Haybop
July 24th, 2013, 01:30 AM
Uh oh! Better get started as soon as possible then! ;)...

Yup, looks like TV and internet is staying off when I get home today - head shall be stuck back in book and highlighter hanging out side of mouth... the joys :S If I get it sorted now though there won't be a mad Wednesday/Thurs night rush :D

Arien
July 28th, 2013, 03:04 PM
There were some beautiful hair styles this week! :). I think some of the best we have seen so far. Especially on Anne. I was finding it a bit dark however so I couldn't make them all out clearly this week...

Majormiles
August 2nd, 2013, 11:46 AM
How much I love the white queen! The history is pretty much spot on and it is sooooo entertaining. And I have a HUGE richard iii crush. I digress... Anne's hairstyles are my favourite, quite simple but beautiful braids. I can't wait have long enough hair to try them. Historical hairstyles like these are my fave, working at an historic hall is quite taunting when you are trying to grow your hair, every other woman on our portraits has long braided hair.

Has anyone found any tutorials for them yet on the Internet?!

Firefox7275
August 2nd, 2013, 11:56 AM
I saw a random 'advert' the other day on BBC saying that the whole series so far is on iPlayer, that struck me as unusual so I don't know whether the series not being as widely watched as they hoped.

Majormiles
August 2nd, 2013, 11:58 AM
I saw a random 'advert' the other day on BBC saying that the whole series so far is on iPlayer, that struck me as unusual so I don't know whether the series not being as widely watched as they hoped.

Yeah I saw that too, I have read some pretty bad reviews on it so I'm sure your right. I can't help but love it!

Unicorn
August 2nd, 2013, 12:52 PM

This thread has had me downloading and watching The White Queen :) So far I've watched episodes 1 & 2 and I'm now downloading the others as I type.

There is some lovely hair there, though I'm also enjoying the programs so far. I'm amazed to learn that Elizabeth is wearing a wig!

Unicorn

Arien
August 2nd, 2013, 01:37 PM
How much I love the white queen! The history is pretty much spot on and it is sooooo entertaining. And I have a HUGE richard iii crush. I digress... Anne's hairstyles are my favourite, quite simple but beautiful braids. I can't wait have long enough hair to try them. Historical hairstyles like these are my fave, working at an historic hall is quite taunting when you are trying to grow your hair, every other woman on our portraits has long braided hair.

Has anyone found any tutorials for them yet on the Internet?!

I'm getting more and more of a Richard III crush as this series goes on! ;).

I've been having huge hair envy :D. I have been trawling YouTube for tutorials, but I haven't found anything so far :(.

This thread has had me downloading and watching The White Queen :) So far I've watched episodes 1 & 2 and I'm now downloading the others as I type.

There is some lovely hair there, though I'm also enjoying the programs so far. I'm amazed to learn that Elizabeth is wearing a wig!

Unicorn

Glad you are enjoying it! :). It's a fantastic wig isn't it! :)

It has had some pretty mixed reviews... I'm guessing some people prefer their history a little more accurate, but I have a real soft spot for romantic historical dramas like this :).

faellen
August 2nd, 2013, 01:44 PM
When it comes to historical accuracy, well, at least The White Queen is more accurate than The Tudors! I'm surprised to hear that there are bad reviews out there; everyone I know who watches it, loves it :D

May have to re-watch episodes on iPlayer and screencap some of Anne's hairstyles!

goldenlady
August 2nd, 2013, 01:52 PM
It's all a matter of perspective.. Historical accuracy is subjective with the amount of interpretation involved. I for one am just thrilled there's a great program that fills the Downton Abbey slot until it's next series.

Arien
August 2nd, 2013, 01:57 PM
When it comes to historical accuracy, well, at least The White Queen is more accurate than The Tudors! I'm surprised to hear that there are bad reviews out there; everyone I know who watches it, loves it :D

May have to re-watch episodes on iPlayer and screencap some of Anne's hairstyles!

Yes, same here. All my friends and family love it. I do think it might be more of a woman's program then a man's mind if you know what I mean. Not that I am saying men don't/won't enjoy it but... it is heavily romanticised :).

Yes same here... She started off a bit in the background but now her hairstyles are by far the ones that stand out :). I want to give them all a go!

Arien
August 2nd, 2013, 02:00 PM
It's all a matter of perspective.. Historical accuracy is subjective with the amount of interpretation involved. I for one am just thrilled there's a great program that fills the Downton Abbey slot until it's next series.

Yes that of course is very true. History is very open to interpretation and people will argue over it untl the cows come home!

Oh I can't wait for Downton Abbey to start again! :).

Eryniel
August 2nd, 2013, 02:50 PM
I'm watching The White Queen and I think it's pretty good. Everyone has such long and quite realistic-looking hair extensions and wigs.

However, my two favourite period dramas are Lark Rise to Candleford and of course Downton Abbey. I can't wait for season 4 to start either! :)

eresh
August 2nd, 2013, 03:20 PM
Just saw the last episode of the Tudors s2.
Hope they will start airing s 3 and 4 soon!!!!!!!!

I do get annoyed by the way (esp Henry) they ride their horses.
At least give the actors some ridinglessons and stop them from pulling on the horses mouth so much.
It is really nasty to see them kick and pull and see the bit nearly pulled half out of the horses mouth.

Do you also watch "The real white queen and her rivals"?

eresh
August 2nd, 2013, 03:21 PM
double post

goldenlady
August 2nd, 2013, 03:33 PM
Just saw the last episode of the Tudors s2.
Hope they will start airing s 3 and 4 soon!!!!!!!!

I do get annoyed by the way (esp Henry) they ride their horses.
At least give the actors some ridinglessons and stop them from pulling on the horses mouth so much.
It is really nasty to see them kick and pull and see the bit nearly pulled half out of the horses mouth.

Do you also watch "The real white queen and her rivals"?

I'm a massive fan of The Tudors and have the boxset.. It took me a while to get used to Jonathon RM being Henry - He certainly isn't a look a like! But I think after a few episodes it gets so compelling that you forget about historical accuracy. I really really envied Anne Boleyn's gorgeous long brown hair.. (I have massive brunette envy!)

I loved 'The real white queen.' I studied the Tudor era for my History A level.. but my War of the Roses knowledge was quite terrible. I love the idea that it is actually the women in the era that influenced such a series of events!

Arien
August 2nd, 2013, 03:42 PM
Oh! I meant to watch this and completely forgot!! I will have to watch the 1st part on catch up!

We go to the Tewks medieval festival every year (except this year, we missed it :() because it's just down the road from us and they re-enact the battle of Tewkesbury.. I love local history :). It's nice to see a bit of it in The White Queen. We keep cheering every time we hear Gloucester and Tewkesbury lol.

faellen
August 2nd, 2013, 04:36 PM
Oh! I meant to watch this and completely forgot!! I will have to watch the 1st part on catch up!

We go to the Tewks medieval festival every year (except this year, we missed it :() because it's just down the road from us and they re-enact the battle of Tewkesbury.. I love local history :). It's nice to see a bit of it in The White Queen. We keep cheering every time we hear Gloucester and Tewkesbury lol.

I used to have family in Tewkesbury so we cheer too :D

Majormiles
August 2nd, 2013, 04:38 PM

Very true. I agree about the downton abbey thing as well!

Arien
August 3rd, 2013, 03:34 AM
I used to have family in Tewkesbury so we cheer too :D

*like* :D :P

Neecola
August 5th, 2013, 12:42 PM
I'm watching The White Queen and I think it's pretty good. Everyone has such long and quite realistic-looking hair extensions and wigs.

However, my two favourite period dramas are Lark Rise to Candleford and of course Downton Abbey. I can't wait for season 4 to start either! :)

I LOVE Lark Rise; such a sweet show. Perhaps too sweet for some, but I think it's "extraordinary" :)

I am sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for Downton to begin again after the way the last season ended!

kaydana
August 5th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Anne's coronation hair was beautiful! I think that will definitely be one to attempt to recreate.

Arien
August 5th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Anne's coronation hair was beautiful! I think that will definitely be one to attempt to recreate.

It was just gorgeous wasn't it... Again I kept trying to get a better look at it! :).. Will definitely have to try and get some screen stills.

goldenlady
August 5th, 2013, 03:07 PM
I loved seeing Freya Mavor with long hair this week.. it really suits her!

Kelli Kat
August 12th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Gahh! I just added Starz to my cable so I can start watching this .

teela1978
August 12th, 2013, 09:25 PM
Starz seems to have the 1st episode up for streaming
http://www.starz.com/originals/thewhitequeen/videos#/watch-the-premiere-episode-of-the-white-queen-for-free

Checking this out now :)

Unicorn
August 13th, 2013, 01:27 PM
All episodes are available at the BBC site.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p018sxvb/The_White_Queen_Episode_1/

It's available for downloading, subject to an e-widget they use to limit it to 30 days availability.

Unicorn

In2wishin
August 13th, 2013, 02:11 PM
One of the more interesting things I have read is that the Starz version for the US is supposedly much raunchier than the BBC version. Usually the US versions cut some of the sex but keep in all of the violence.

Majormiles
August 18th, 2013, 03:26 PM
I loved the last episode tonight. I was half expecting a voice over " and then they buried him in a car park..." Poor richard! I will missed ahhhing at Anne's hair!!

Majormiles
August 18th, 2013, 03:27 PM
Starz seems to have the 1st episode up for streaming
http://www.starz.com/originals/thewhitequeen/videos#/watch-the-premiere-episode-of-the-white-queen-for-free

Checking this out now :)

What did you think?!

Arien
August 18th, 2013, 03:33 PM
I loved the last episode tonight. I was half expecting a voice over " and then they buried him in a car park..." Poor richard! I will missed ahhhing at Anne's hair!!

I loved it too! :). I don't remember the book ending that way, I'm going to have to re-read the end now and check lol. I'm so sad it's over! :(. What will I watch on a Sunday night now? Back to reading I guess! I have bought a few of her other books to read.

teela1978
August 18th, 2013, 05:11 PM
What did you think?!

It was good. The witchcraft bit seemed a bit off. I'd watch it if I had starz but I don't think I'm subscribed.

In2wishin
August 18th, 2013, 05:14 PM
I loved it too! :). I don't remember the book ending that way, I'm going to have to re-read the end now and check lol. I'm so sad it's over! :(. What will I watch on a Sunday night now? Back to reading I guess! I have bought a few of her other books to read.

Copper still has a few episodes left but Longmire only has 2 left. I may go into withdrawal if something doesn't start up soon. All of the good shows are filming now: Bates Motel, Ripper Street,Downton Abbey. Mad Men hasn't even started filming yet.

Regarding The White Queen, I have to say I really enjoyed it. I still find it interesting that Elizabeth is the ancestor of all Kings and Queens Regnant since (through her daughter Elizabeth). I guess that is the ultimate sign of survival in royalty: your genes have been passed down and are still reigning over England today (as well as the rest of the UK and Commonwealth).

RedNymph
August 18th, 2013, 06:34 PM
I am just starting it. It's great. At first I was confused about it's direction, I mean it was historical but then it added witchcraft. After I watched the first couple of episodes I really got into it.

But OMG the hair....so pretty.

In2wishin
August 18th, 2013, 06:54 PM
I am just starting it. It's great. At first I was confused about it's direction, I mean it was historical but then it added witchcraft. After I watched the first couple of episodes I really got into it.

But OMG the hair....so pretty.

Jacquetta and Elizabeth were both rumored to be witches during their lifetime. In fact, Jacquetta was tried once (possibly twice) at court for it and Richard accused both of them, but they were never tried because he could produce no proof. At that time, witchcraft wasn't completely frowned upon, unless you used it to harm someone, and a large number of people used scrying, cards, poppets, and other spells and charms. Another 50 to 100 years and things completely changed to where any witchcraft was punishable by death.

Majormiles
August 18th, 2013, 11:56 PM

I have never read any of her books before, I have just started the white queen and it's a great read! Downton abbey will be back on soon!

Not sure where I will get my beautiful hairstyles fix now on tv...will have to watch Lotr again

Arien
August 19th, 2013, 01:25 AM
Hee hee :D. I was in a LOTR mood at the weekend because we bought a beautiful piece of art on sat that we had been keeping an eye on ever since we first saw it, depicting the Wife of Lleu. The people in it have such beautiful hair :). In the end I settled for King Arthur because we only watched LOTR a few weeks ago.

Skade
August 19th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Wohoo, The white queen is starting up on HBONordic, so now I can see what ya all have been talking about :)

Fairlight63
September 21st, 2013, 03:56 PM
Starz on Dish net work (ch. 350) is having a free weekend. I see that The White Queen episode 6 & 7 is on tonight at 7 & 8 pm central time where I am. I have it set to record. I had not seen any of them. I have it saved in Net Flex but it is not really available to watch just yet. A few min. ago I watched eps. 1 on UTube but I can not find the rest of the eps. 2 and on available to watch. Do you know where I can watch episode 2 + rest of them at for free?

Thank you if you can help!

AmyBeth
September 21st, 2013, 04:18 PM
I've been watching here in the US. I think I might stop though. It's getting hard. I've been a student of the Wars of the Roses for 25 years and these people are real to me, they're not just characters on the screen. I've always loved Richard III and with the discovery of his remains, I'm just so sensitive. Watching Warwick die was too real. Nobody knows what really happened to the two princes, but all these people were products of their environment. Dog eat dog, kill or be killed. It didn't matter who won the crown, someone else would be right behind them, willing to kill for their chance at it. Even after Henry Tudor won the crown, he and his children spent the rest of their lives killing anyone who had any kind of claim no matter how flimsy. I have grown fond of Richard in this series, and I don't think I can bear to see him slaughtered.
As far as the hair-Meh. I'm not impressed with hair extensions and wigs. I'm impressed with the real stuff. No matter how pretty Elizabeth's hair is, I've seen pictures of the actress IRL. I really like the approximations of the styles I've seen members of this community accomplish. Brava, ladies!!

Fairlight63
September 21st, 2013, 04:47 PM
That is really interesting, Amy Beth! I watched the Tudors on NetFlex a while back & that was really interesting also. Made me want to learn more about that time in history. I want to watch the Wars of the Roses also now on NetFlex, I think that they have it.

LindainCO
February 21st, 2015, 01:23 AM
That is really interesting, Amy Beth! I watched the Tudors on NetFlex a while back & that was really interesting also. Made me want to learn more about that time in history. I want to watch the Wars of the Roses also now on NetFlex, I think that they have it.

i AM TRYING TO FIND PICTURES OF THE HAIRSTYLES. (oops caps)
I only just discovered this series! We "cut the cable", thanks to noticing our son's little black box,
I think his is Ouya. We got Roku, and I subscribed to Amazon, and now have all of the
episodes!
I've watched 5 so far. I love historical novels, and know how brutal life was in those days,
but also the pageantry and the passion!
I love the costumes, the casting is great, I am quite a fan of Elizabeth and Edward.....
But I need better pictures of the hairstyles....