PDA

View Full Version : Hair is very oily still.

ihatemovies
July 20th, 2013, 09:26 PM
I did the no poo thing cuz my hair got oily throughout the first day of washing it. I ended up even using dishwashing liquid it was so oily. So i have been doing the no poo thing for almost 5 weeks and it is soft and not waxy but it is still oily. Not as much as it use to be, it dosnt get oily-er like it use to, it just stays the same. I have not been putting anything in my hair, I just wash it with water every 2 or 3 days. I don't want to use baking soda because I think it will make the oil come more worse, and apple cider vinegar will just make it greasy-er as well...
Do I wait a few more months? I just want the oil to go away, my very thickly cut fringe is ruined as well with all the oil.
My hair is flat and thin and breakable so I will not be using shampoo again anyway.

Any tips?

jeanniet
July 20th, 2013, 09:37 PM
I did the no poo thing cuz my hair got oily throughout the first day of washing it. I ended up even using dishwashing liquid it was so oily. So i have been doing the no poo thing for almost 5 weeks and it is soft and not waxy but it is still oily. Not as much as it use to be, it dosnt get oily-er like it use to, it just stays the same. I have not been putting anything in my hair, I just wash it with water every 2 or 3 days. I don't want to use baking soda because I think it will make the oil come more worse, and apple cider vinegar will just make it greasy-er as well...
Do I wait a few more months? I just want the oil to go away, my very thickly cut fringe is ruined as well with all the oil.
My hair is flat and thin and breakable so I will not be using shampoo again anyway.

Any tips?

If you're trying to go water only, you just have to wait out the transition period, which can take 2-3 months. You may want to wash more often, and sometimes a mild vinegar rinse does help, but mostly you just have to give your scalp time to adjust.

ihatemovies
July 20th, 2013, 09:59 PM
""2-3 months""

Oh cool, I didnt know the translation was more then a month.

Thanks, and I may try what you said.

ihatemovies
July 20th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Transition!

jeanniet
July 20th, 2013, 10:37 PM
I think the minimum is maybe six weeks, but most people seem to take quite a bit longer. Have you seen the WO thread? It might be helpful to look through it: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=3412.

piney674
July 20th, 2013, 11:25 PM
Oh gosh do I feel your pain...I'm about to hit 5 weeks in a couple of days, and I was losing hope! I know there's generally a transition phase of 6 weeks for your scalp to adjust, so I'm praying to the hair gods to please please please make my head stop producing so much friggin oil :'( I'm exhausted of washing it every. single. day. I don't know if this routine works for SEBUM production as well as OIL. Because everything I read is ''your hair needs to readjust it's sebum production...'' is there a difference in oil and sebum? My head does make a sticky sebum substance after water only washing every 6-7 days or so, that I gently get rid of with a goooooood scalp massage/scritching and alternating hot/cold water a few times in the shower for 15 minutes or however long until my fingers cramp.

http://s559.photobucket.com/user/ivacro2009/library/?sort=3&page=1

the first photo is of my hair after washing it the evening before. If it were from the morning before it'd have spread down to the ends and been 10 times the amount on top. GRRRRRRALGALKJDGLKAG! I'm envious of you women with hair that never gets oily!

-sends you positive hair vibes- :p

ihatemovies
July 21st, 2013, 12:55 AM
@jeanniet
@piney674

Thamks

Tini'sNewHair
July 21st, 2013, 01:18 AM
i tried baking soda and water mixture instead of shampoo and vinegar plus water combo instead of commercial conditioner... my hair was getting more dandruff than ever!!! i'm back to using antidandruff commercial shampoo and my scalp is 98% better - thats my experience - i have to wash my hair every two, max 3 days or my scalp gets really bad

sumidha
July 21st, 2013, 02:06 AM
What about trying a dry shampoo maybe? I don't use them myself but lots of other members here do, and might be able to give you more specific advice.

Firefox7275
July 21st, 2013, 05:27 AM

Any tips?

Try dry shampoo, won't irritate and damage the skin like baking soda will. Have you reviewed your diet? Nutrition can modify the amount and composition of your sebum, be sure you are eating as anti inflammatory and nutrient dense as possible, very low glycaemic index.

ihatemovies
July 21st, 2013, 06:06 AM
I never liked the idea of the dry shampoo, I would have to use it every half an hour.

@Firefox7275
Yes I eat healthy.

Firefox7275
July 21st, 2013, 06:14 AM
I never liked the idea of the dry shampoo, I would have to use it every half an hour.

@Firefox7275
Yes I eat healthy.

Altering sebum production and amount is not about simply eating 'healthily' it's about eating to balance hormones and reduce systemic inflammation, the standard western 'healthy' diet doesn't achieve that.

Why would you have to use dry shampoo every half hour? Have you tried it or is that an assumption?

ihatemovies
July 21st, 2013, 06:32 AM
I eat paleo, no dairy or wheat.

The idea of dry shampoo I hate for what I said and that I do not like hairspray and it seems expensive and my country probably dose not have it and I do not want to use it.

WilfredAllen
July 21st, 2013, 01:13 PM
you could use a very, very, very diluted solution of SLS-free shampoo and water. For me, the right dilution gets rid of the excess oil, while leaving enough sebum that I don't need conditioner

ihatemovies
August 11th, 2013, 10:08 PM
So its been like more then 2 months I have been doing this, its getting better really Slowly... but getting better still!
But my mother doesn't want me to do it and is lying about lots of things to make me use shampoo and be "normal" when she's the one only getting organic food, filtering water and believes in ancient astronauts..

Firefox7275
August 12th, 2013, 04:47 AM
I eat paleo, no dairy or wheat.

The idea of dry shampoo I hate for what I said and that I do not like hairspray and it seems expensive and my country probably dose not have it and I do not want to use it.

Paleo can be pro-inflammatory and may not balance hormones, depends how it's done. It's not as simple as what you cut out but also what you add in to replace the lost nutrients and achieve a genuinely balanced diet - I've seen many claim 'Paleo' but not eat much oily fish or seafood like molluscs (evidence in shell middens), little or no organ meats or only a limited range of produce. Those of European descent have mostly adapted to dairy, but pre-dairy (and post, evidence at Herculaneum) our ancestors were eating fish with the bones in, long slow cooked broth from land animals etc. They were eating the whole of a land animal not just the muscle meat, an awful lot of seafood. Hopefully you already know and are doing this.

ihatemovies
August 18th, 2013, 08:12 PM
I do know, I know more then what you mentioned. But cucasian have not adapted to milk, they just did not develop away from it when they got older. I must keep this short cuz typing on the phone is hard and the website keeps loggig me out every2 minutes.

I fixex my hair kinda anyway. Used ACV as shampoo by scrubbig it in. Now my hir stays dryish for a few days.

teela1978
August 18th, 2013, 08:46 PM
My hair never hit this "transition" everyone talks about. I think that for some people certain detergents in shampoos cause the scalp to produce excess oil, and so by switching the scalp calms down and can go much longer without being washed. Mine just produces oil, not because detergents irritate my scalp but because people in my family have greasy heads. Stretching washes has gotten me more used to having greasy hair, I'm willing to go a bit slick-headed if I'm not heading anywhere important these days... but my hair never got any less greasy through wo, co, no-poo, sulfate-free, etc. They're fun to experiment with though!