PDA

View Full Version : You guys know you love helping people with hair typing.

Tori Angeli
July 19th, 2013, 09:52 PM
So I've been not quite sure if I fit 2b or 2c. I've been figuring 2b-with-loose-corkscrews just because it varies so much from day to day, but here are some pictures. My hair is mostly dry and not styled in any way, just air-dried.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7586678/Camera%20Uploads/Camera%20Uploads%20(1)/2013-07-19%2023.41.23.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7586678/Camera%20Uploads/Camera%20Uploads%20(2)/2013-07-19%2023.39.13.jpg

Dandelion6
July 19th, 2013, 10:20 PM
I'd say from these pics that you are more on the 2c side. But you know, it doesn't have to be a cut and dried thing. You could be a 2b/2c depending on such variables as wash/non wash days, weather (humidity vs dry), increasing length (pulling out the spirals), etc. Its all good! You are def within that range.

biogirl87
July 19th, 2013, 10:21 PM
Tori Angell, I think you're a 2b. I don't really any tight waves that would resemble anything curly in your hair so I don't think you're a 2c. Also, your hair seems to look a lot like my hair after I've washed it and dried it with no touching, and I'm a 2b.

Charybdis
July 20th, 2013, 03:06 AM
Hi, Tori Angeli! You look like a 2b to me. My waves are like that too -- mostly loose, but with some spiraling. I have more frizz and corkscrewing around the face than you do, but I still classify myself as a 2b because that's the closest to the overall pattern (especially given the more 2a area at the back). You look like you fall right in the 2b zone.

Your wave pattern actually looks more consistent than what a lot of us 2b people have; it seems like as a group we are especially prone to mixed-up hair types.

Quixii
July 20th, 2013, 03:45 AM
It seems like mostly 2b with some 2c, to me. I would probably mark the "2b/2c" slot. :)

Firefox7275
July 20th, 2013, 05:43 AM
2b at present, definite potential for 2c going by the hints of curls at the ends of your hair. My hair looks much like that with certain conditioners, but 2c ringlets in the front and sides with other conditioners (no 'cheating' by diffusing). Hydrolysed protein is particularly good for bounce and curl boosting and of course for hair health if it suits your hair properties (mine is porous and colour treated so needs it), magnesium sulphate in a styler a nice 'cheat' curl booster, coconut oil and honey can also help and are something many of us do anyway for deep conditioning.
http://www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types

Skade
July 20th, 2013, 06:23 AM
Sorry, I canīt help with the hair typing. Just wanted to say Wow, what nice wave pattern and color you got there!

Tori Angeli
July 20th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Thank you, Skade. I am not sure if keysmashing falls under the guidelines for acceptable use of English, or I would. This is the color a friend described as "chestnut" and I decided it was a much nicer term than "ash brown" or "mousy."

Firefox, looking at the site you linked, I do agree I seem to fit 2b closest. I have to be careful about protein use because too much does tend to dry out my ends, but every so often I will "protein treat" with a conditioner containing hydrolized soy protein. My hair does not seem very porous to me (I get build-up from ACV, and as little as two washes with cone-heavy condish makes my roots look greasy even if I'm using shampoo), but I've never heard of magnesium sulfate boosting curl. I will definitely have to check this out. Bathing in epsom salt is supposed to be therapeutic, but I've always heard it's inevitably going to dry hair out. I assume there is a dosage trick to it?

I've only tried honey once or twice and may need to try it again (it's really humid here lately, so I could probably have some success). I use coconut oil about once a week already. Scrunching with AVG tends to make me look more like a 2c and really helps those spirals stay spirally.

Firefox7275
July 20th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Firefox, looking at the site you linked, I do agree I seem to fit 2b closest. I have to be careful about protein use because too much does tend to dry out my ends, but every so often I will "protein treat" with a conditioner containing hydrolized soy protein. My hair does not seem very porous to me (I get build-up from ACV, and as little as two washes with cone-heavy condish makes my roots look greasy even if I'm using shampoo), but I've never heard of magnesium sulfate boosting curl. I will definitely have to check this out. Bathing in epsom salt is supposed to be therapeutic, but I've always heard it's inevitably going to dry hair out. I assume there is a dosage trick to it?

I've only tried honey once or twice and may need to try it again (it's really humid here lately, so I could probably have some success). I use coconut oil about once a week already. Scrunching with AVG tends to make me look more like a 2c and really helps those spirals stay spirally.

Epsom salts can be drying as can hydrolysed protein if the overall routine is not balanced or too much is used. If you like aloe vera you might like Jessicurl Rockin Ringlets which is flaxseed jelly, aloe vera gel and magnesium sulphate - of course you can DIY! But if humectants like aloe vera work for you straight up in the humidity you can just stick with that.

I can't honestly see how it's possible to get build up from dilute vinegar rinses, are you confusing build up with your hair drying out or build up from another product? Silicones do not penetrate nor do many ingredients in the average conditioner regardless of porosity, build up from that might indicate the conditioner is too rich/ heavy for your hair, or that your scalp doesn't like an ingredient so is pumping out more sebum (silicones can do this to some, can even be comedogenic on the face or body). The root area is normally less porous than the lengths so we can have mixed porosity and roots may simply not need conditioning because they still has its own protective coating intact. Really that is what silicones do, mimic or patch repair our hair's own protective f-layer which gets damaged or destroyed by 'weathering' or normal haircare and environment over time.

Tori Angeli
July 20th, 2013, 09:54 AM
ACV left some kind of sticky residue that was nigh-impossible to get out. It's possible the one I was using was too old or too cheap. Either way, I've been really happy with using white vinegar, since it leaves the odd gold strands in my hair gold instead of turning them amber (which is a lovely shade, but I'm oddly protective of those gold strands).

I know it wasn't sebum that was making my roots look oily. The hair was simply sticking to itself. Not in a velcro-y way, but in an oily way without actually being oily. The problem cleared up when I skipped conditioner for a washing. But that conditioner was particularly coney and I didn't react that way to every conditioner containing cones. I've considered trying conditioners with water soluble cones again, but as my hair seems shiny and easily detangled with my daily SAO treatments, I've kind of felt like if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I didn't know that about mixed porosity, nor about some people finding cones comedogenic. I'm prone to adult acne and have found since I changed my routine that I get much less acne on my body, but I attributed it to the lack of sulfates. I could well have been wrong.

Sarahlabyrinth
July 20th, 2013, 10:23 AM
I would say for sure you are a 2b.

Firefox7275
July 20th, 2013, 01:41 PM
I didn't know that about mixed porosity, nor about some people finding cones comedogenic. I'm prone to adult acne and have found since I changed my routine that I get much less acne on my body, but I attributed it to the lack of sulfates. I could well have been wrong.

It could well be both: sulphates thin and dehydrate the skin barrier leaving it more vulnerable to infection and to irritation from chemicals that we are exposed to, presumably including silicones. Oleic acid is also considered comedogenic BTW and is in loads of natural oils. In many ways acne has a lot in common with some forms of dermatitis, the inflammation, skin barrier issues, even inappropriate immune responses.

Tori Angeli
July 21st, 2013, 02:13 PM
I do need to see a dermatologist.

I've ordered a sample of the curl-enhancer serum you recommended, Firefox. I can't wait to try it out. Also picked up some nice honey at a farmer's market and want to add that to my condish for a bit to see what happens.

Firefox7275
July 21st, 2013, 06:59 PM
I do need to see a dermatologist.

I've ordered a sample of the curl-enhancer serum you recommended, Firefox. I can't wait to try it out. Also picked up some nice honey at a farmer's market and want to add that to my condish for a bit to see what happens.

The Rockin Ringlets? Oh I hope that works for you! Jessicurl do some 'how to' videos: I scrunch only and don't have quite as much water in my hair as Jessica, I will have to try it with more water next time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfkvVvYSkCk

BlazingHeart
July 21st, 2013, 08:33 PM
That looks very 2b to me.

If the ACV left you sticky, you may be working at too high a concentration (I use about 1/32 dilution, myself; some do more, some do less). Also, you may need to rinse out rather than leave in your ACV. I can't leave mine in, the smell makes me feel horrid, but the rinse is still helpful for me when I'm not using a coney condish. I don't find it does me any good when I'm using a coney condish.

Tori Angeli
July 21st, 2013, 08:47 PM
I used about 2 tablespoons in two cups of water for the ACV. Even when I rinsed it out, it would leave residue. But like I said, I'm extremely happy with white vinegar.

BlazingHeart
July 24th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Thank you, Skade. I am not sure if keysmashing falls under the guidelines for acceptable use of English, or I would. This is the color a friend described as "chestnut" and I decided it was a much nicer term than "ash brown" or "mousey".

Just FYI, chestnut is usually used to describe a rich reddish brown. My hair is a pretty typical shade of chestnut. I think calling it walnut brown might be more accurate, as your color is somewhat similar to walnut hull dye.

Tori Angeli
July 24th, 2013, 05:17 PM
I'll take walnut! It's not dissimilar to the color of the wood itself, either, when it's raw and unstained or unpolished. But it does have periodic blond stands that confuse people.