PDA

View Full Version : How did you thicken your hair?

indigonight
July 19th, 2013, 12:54 PM
My hair lost a lot of thickness due to stress.
I henna, I take my B vitamins, I oil my scalp once in a while, I vinegar rinse and use good organic products.
Is there anything you did that made your hair thicker?

chen bao jun
July 19th, 2013, 05:06 PM
my mom thickened hers up a lot with jamaican black castor oil. you can google it. amazon.com sells it.

Beborani
July 19th, 2013, 05:16 PM
I would add that when you go to your physician ask him/ her if it is safe for you to try minoxidil. Most doctors in US dont really care about hair (for years no one ever told me I could try it even if I mentioned that my hair had thinned since it didnt really bother me much and I told them so).

jeanniet
July 19th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Your hair should recover its normal thickness once the stress is relieved, given some time. It should take 3-6 months for you to see much difference, but it will grow back. Make sure your diet is as good as possible, get plenty of rest, and exercise.

Beborani
July 19th, 2013, 05:31 PM
I am sorry wrong thread! My post was for someone else.

browneyedsusan
July 20th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Just henna. It made my hair WAY better than it really is. I LOVE that stuff.

nobeltonya
July 20th, 2013, 11:30 AM
It probably helps significantly that I don't stress over anything. :) But specifically, I started regularly oiling [coconut oil] and massaging my scalp at night [now every 3 days b/c it's hot.. at least every other in the winter], and stopped wearing it up so much.. when it was shorter, like above waist, I would always wear it up in a messy bun, all day.. and I actually started getting this thin spot in the front of my part at the hair line. So, once I stopped wearing it up so much [only for 2-3 hours at a time, tops.. most of the day it's loose] it thickened back up. Also, just letting it grow out, b/c when it was above my shoulders, it seemed much thinner than it is now. Oh, and NOT ripping through knots.. that was also a huge thing I stopped doing.. and figured out how to actually detangle my hair properly.. And I still wash every day.. :) :disco:

DancingQueen
July 20th, 2013, 11:57 AM
I used priorin for around 6 months (just started again, actually), and that helped a lot. I regained my lost hair, and it actually grew faster as well. I made a thread about it as well, if you are interested. :)

AmyBeth
July 20th, 2013, 12:20 PM
I used the "kitchen sink" approach- daily massage, castor oil, minoxidil, monistat. Also protecting the hair you have, plus the new growth with stretching washes, updos, satin sleep cap. Of course, henna. Over the course of the last year and a half, I have doubled the diameter of my ponytail, plus gained 9 inches of length. I would try just about anything, as long as it's cruelty free!

3 Cat Night
July 20th, 2013, 02:06 PM
I got treated for hormonal problems (low thyroid and adrenal hyperplasia) that cause hair loss. Maybe you should talk to a doctor. It could be a medical issue.

NinaJean
July 20th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Does castor oil actually make hair thicker? I always wonder if it's actually thicker or just appears that way because of the castor oil coating the hair.

goldenlady
July 20th, 2013, 02:28 PM
My hair is pathetically fine (baby hair - as my hairdresser used to call it!) and although I have quite a bit of hair nowadays it can still look very thin. About 3 years ago I agreed ro be a hairdresser's model for a competition (before I cared about my hair!) and she permed it to death.. I lost a lot of hair! I used a product called Super Grow by Hollywood Beauty.. It seemed to thicken up considerably. It's still really fine though... Every night I spray it with conditioner/water mix and sleep in a bun.. The next day I get volume and curls!

proo
July 20th, 2013, 07:23 PM
The NW/SO method has thickened my hair so much -
it's almost too thick.

rock007junkie
July 20th, 2013, 07:40 PM
For me it has been henna/cassia and Jamaican black castor oil, love that stuff!

McFearless
July 20th, 2013, 11:26 PM
A commitment to meditation and other activities that you enjoy should lessen your stress. I hope whatever has caused it subsides as well.

kidari
July 20th, 2013, 11:45 PM
Getting rid of the stress or learning to handle it well, sleeping well, eating well, and exercising regularly has helped me along with taking supplements specifically for hair growth. I take a multi, a fish oil, and liquid silica drops. Also, gentle handling, avoiding pretty much anything damaging, and adapting to healthier hair routines has helped me gain a full inch in circumference in the past 2-3 years. The biggest things for me were: diet, exercise, stress management, and great hair care.

leslissocool
July 21st, 2013, 12:58 AM
Getting rid of the stress or learning to handle it well, sleeping well, eating well, and exercising regularly has helped me along with taking supplements specifically for hair growth. I take a multi, a fish oil, and liquid silica drops. Also, gentle handling, avoiding pretty much anything damaging, and adapting to healthier hair routines has helped me gain a full inch in circumference in the past 2-3 years. The biggest things for me were: diet, exercise, stress management, and great hair care.

This for me too, I also drink protein shakes and use coconut and now castor oil. Micro-trimming and trimming has worked well for me also.

akilina
July 21st, 2013, 01:10 AM
Commenting so I can be subbed. I am interested to hear more replies since I think I'm always hoping to hear something earth shatteringly new to me that will help :p i wont give up..i guess my hair just feels thin to me.
My biggest deal is that I'm trying to grow out my layers which will give me more hair to work with. Castor oil did give me some amazing new growth but remember results will always vary so it may have worked for me but not everyone.

MermaidGirl
August 7th, 2013, 01:21 AM
Super stupid question for you folks posting in this thread: are you taking the castor oil internally (and if so, how much and how often?), or are you applying it to your scalp, or to your hair??? Details would be appreciated! :)

leslissocool
August 7th, 2013, 01:24 AM
I apply it to my scalp. It's very messy, I use a clean mustard bottle :lol:.

DancingGirl
August 7th, 2013, 03:03 AM
I've yet to use it but I agree with castor oil. I've been researching it like crazy..anything to help out my thin hair. I'll be buying some soon to test out. Good Luck :D

Anne10
August 7th, 2013, 03:54 AM
I apply it to my scalp. It's very messy, I use a clean mustard bottle :lol:.

That is brilliant! I'm going to try it. I bet you can buy a similar kind of applicator at a beauty supply store.

melusine963
August 7th, 2013, 11:12 AM
I stopped ripping my hair out with a brush. This hasn't actully made it grow any thicker, but it certainly helps create the illusion of thickness. :)

Adelynd
August 7th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Scalp massages and nettle tea rinses have helped me a great deal. I used to use castor oil, but got out of the habit, mostly because I find it difficult to apply as is and I always cause an oil spill trying to mix in a carrier oil to make it more spreadable. The bottle idea is a good one though.

summergreen
August 7th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Homeopathic remedies have helped me in the past :)

Ackvelina
August 7th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Super stupid question for you folks posting in this thread: are you taking the castor oil internally (and if so, how much and how often?), or are you applying it to your scalp, or to your hair??? Details would be appreciated! :)

do NOT drink the castor oil, it's a strong laxative and I think its a bit poisonus. Over here the pharmasist keeps it behind the counter because pregnant women use it to induce labour.

Tigermama
August 7th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Sorry you have been stressed out! Excellent call on the b vitamins. Also drinking water and using castor oil to the scalp helped me. I just put a small drop of the castor oil (clear kind) on the pads of my fingers and pat them to my scalp. It gently distributes it. I hardly use any oil so it doesn't really show through my hair. I pretty much always have some on, and I must say its darkened my hair considerably. I've been doing this for two years now and I no longer have scalp showing through. It takes only about 30 seconds which is about how much time I have , ha! Oh, I also shampoo once weekly with cwc to start fresh.

Anje
August 7th, 2013, 01:50 PM
do NOT drink the castor oil, it's a strong laxative and I think its a bit poisonus. Over here the pharmasist keeps it behind the counter because pregnant women use it to induce labour.
Shouldn't be poisonous if it's prepared correctly. The ricin isn't oil soluble, as I understand. But don't drink it for hair growth, all the same.

What worked for me was time. Lots and lots of time and maintaining length. Obviously not a quick fix, but my buns have almost doubled in size while my hair stayed the same length.

meteor
August 7th, 2013, 01:53 PM
- throwing away my brush and using only fingers and a wide-tooth comb - this helped me not lose more hair due to breakage,
- stretching washes,
- oiling my scalp.

Nothing will help you get more hair follicles than your genes gave you, but you can certainly shoot for your genetic potential, avoid breakage, thicken and protect hair strands.
Research shows that hair strands do get thinner with age, which is why I like the idea of using herbal rinses, oils, henna/cassia and having a very healthy diet to keep hair strong.

emilyann
August 7th, 2013, 02:39 PM
A higher fat diet with lower carbohydrates really helps relieve stress for me. I noticed my hair thickened quite a bit when I quit low fat dieting. I went from what was likely a 2" pony to a 3.5" without changing anything else.

I just started using black castor oil too. Will keep measuring the pony to see if there are any changes!

vindo
August 7th, 2013, 03:23 PM
My hair lost a lot of thickness due to stress.
I henna, I take my B vitamins, I oil my scalp once in a while, I vinegar rinse and use good organic products.
Is there anything you did that made your hair thicker?

Your hairs thickness should naturally return if the culprit is gone and you are sure it was just stress related.

Any products will only give the illusion of thickening. Supplements and such would only help with thickening if you do have some sort of deficiency, and then it still would take some time to show effect.

I have went through hair loss numerous times and I do make sure my diet, nutrients and minerals are all the best they can be.
I have also been able to better my health over time, so my hair thickens up WAY faster than before and hair loss episodes are rather mild and not nearly as devastating.

While waiting for it to regrow I wear styles that don't remind me of how much thickness I have lost (for example maki bun instead of cinnamon bun), I wear headbands to keep the frizzies down and I do trim all growth monthly or sometimes even a bit more to have that freshly cut hair feel. It always makes it feel thicker after. :)

catamonica
August 7th, 2013, 03:45 PM
My hair is medium thick. But I read on line that dehydrated chopped onions or dehydrated minced onion
thickens your hair. I have tried both. My hair felt thicker. I added two capfuls to my shampoo & conditioner. It rinses right out.